Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wow warrior rocks in PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How long is this "season" for CC? I am way too into my crafting obsession to stop until I hit 90s on everything but at the rate I'm going it's probably only going to take another week or so tops, and then I plan on doing some CC for the cosmetic rewards and stuff. I imagine it's going for at least a few months or so?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Until 6.2 I think

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't have anything off hand to back it up, but I thought they said there would be two seasons per major patch

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Consummate Professional posted:

Wow warrior rocks in PVP.

Honestly Warrior is unfairly good in almost every part of the game, it's just that the one place it isn't unfairly good is 'Extreme and Savage', which happens to be the only metric that people actually care about balance for.

I don't have a good enough handle on the game's balance to be able to say for sure if it's actually because Warrior is overtuned, or if it just happens to have pretty good numbers in the perfect places to make the most of where a lot of the 'meta' is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Honestly Warrior is unfairly good in almost every part of the game, it's just that the one place it isn't unfairly good is 'Extreme and Savage', which happens to be the only metric that people actually care about balance for.

I don't have a good enough handle on the game's balance to be able to say for sure if it's actually because Warrior is overtuned, or if it just happens to have pretty good numbers in the perfect places to make the most of where a lot of the 'meta' is.

None of 'the meta' is in poo poo like story mode trials and normal dungeons where it's tuned so that 4 Drinking Bird desk toys can clear it. There's nothing 'unfair' about being able to clear and expert roulette 30 seconds faster than a GNB.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of 'the meta' is in poo poo like story mode trials and normal dungeons where it's tuned so that 4 Drinking Bird desk toys can clear it. There's nothing 'unfair' about being able to clear and expert roulette 30 seconds faster than a GNB.

There is probably something unfair about being able to obsolete the entire point of a role that you aren't even playing in an expert dungeon, though. The problem isn't 'there is no point bringing any tank but Warrior', the problem is 'if there's a Warrior then bringing any healer would be less useful than bringing a third DPS'. As someone who plays healer because I like the whole 'healing' part, that's not great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

There is probably something unfair about being able to obsolete the entire point of a role that you aren't even playing in an expert dungeon, though. The problem isn't 'there is no point bringing any tank but Warrior', the problem is 'if there's a Warrior then bringing any healer would be less useful than bringing a third DPS'. As someone who plays healer because I like the whole 'healing' part, that's not great.

Look, my other main's a Bard. Let me have this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

No tanks need healing in expert dungeons. I ran some drk + 3 damage. Expert dungeons are a bad measure because they're generally the easiest stuff in the game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the speedrun strat in shadowbringers was already 1 war 3 dps so it's clearly not been an issue for years

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No tanks need healing in expert dungeons. I ran some drk + 3 damage.

are you doing wall to wall trash pulls? If so, please teach me this sorcery

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

How long is this "season" for CC? I am way too into my crafting obsession to stop until I hit 90s on everything but at the rate I'm going it's probably only going to take another week or so tops, and then I plan on doing some CC for the cosmetic rewards and stuff. I imagine it's going for at least a few months or so?

Unless I missed a later update, the "season" which you probably mean series (ie earning series xp for the redeemable rewards) lasts until 6.2.

Your Crystalline Conflict Ranks (bronze, silver, etc) will be reset in 6.18 before then, there are 2 ranking seasons per series. This just gives you some portrait options and extra currency afaik.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No tanks need healing in expert dungeons. I ran some drk + 3 damage. Expert dungeons are a bad measure because they're generally the easiest stuff in the game.

First of all, I think you need to teach every single Dark Knight I've ever healed. And yeah, expert dungeons are definitely easier than, say, Bardam's Mettle, but I feel like they end up as the standard to measure against as far as dungeons go just because we run them most often.

RME posted:

the speedrun strat in shadowbringers was already 1 war 3 dps so it's clearly not been an issue for years

Or that it is an issue but it's one that they've given up on.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Professor Beetus posted:

FuturePastNow posted:

Until 6.2 I think

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't have anything off hand to back it up, but I thought they said there would be two seasons per major patch

These are both correct, depending on what you mean, Professor Beetus.

The PvP Series, which is the leveling battlepass-like system that has a handful of cosmetics and rewards Trophy Crystals, lasts until 6.2.

The PvP Season, which considers your ranking from Unranked all the way up to Crystal, will last until 6.18*, which will be the start of another season that will last until 6.2.

*On the Lodestone CC Rankings page:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think the real issue is the heal/damage balance of healers in general, not whether tanks can heal a bunch themselves or not.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

are you doing wall to wall trash pulls? If so, please teach me this sorcery

First step is a group of ilvl 600 dudes. Without Bloodwhetting it's really kill or be kill. New LD will triviallize any wall pull. 2 full healthbars and 10s of invlun, plus the tBNs and Abyssal Drain boost. I died a few times but a reaper or something with Arm's Length and Bloodbath will handily tank the rest.

Cleretic posted:

First of all, I think you need to teach every single Dark Knight I've ever healed. And yeah, expert dungeons are definitely easier than, say, Bardam's Mettle, but I feel like they end up as the standard to measure against as far as dungeons go just because we run them most often.

As a healer, I would love if the average dungeon was Bardam's, or Holminster difficulty. With bosses like Mist Dragon.

However that's not how the game rolls. Dungeons need to be clearable by people drooling on their keyboards, so the unfortunate truth is they need to write them off from a difficulty perspective.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 2, 2022

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Nah, it’s not an issue
See giving up would mean they’ve done movement or attempted to balance or retune around it. The fact that the most they’ve done is add a little more healing to paladin magic aoe combo really suggests the are fine with what expert dungeons are at, which is fair. They’re daily content that isn’t supposed to be challenging and just let any party through smoothly, you’re not gonna aim that low on tuning and also perfectly restrict party composition.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Maybe the criterion dungeons will provide meaningful healing gameplay in a four person group, but like Island Sanctuary they haven't said anything about them so I'm not going to have a hope.

Until then you just gotta bust that barrier and do Extremes or Savage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Hellioning posted:

I think the real issue is the heal/damage balance of healers in general, not whether tanks can heal a bunch themselves or not.

Except that tank self-sustain kind of inherently influences the healing/DPS/additional mechanic balance for healers. If the developers want healers to be healing more, that's gonna run into problems if the tanks can heal themselves like mad anyway.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I just got Dragoon to 86, and holy gently caress I am suddenly glad I don't main this job. The little musical riff on Chaotic Spring, an ability that is used regularly in the rotation, is absolutely grating and awful. Why the hell would you put a harp sound or whatever it is on one random Dragoon attack?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
dragoon beat up samurai on stole its cherry blossoms

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mind over Matter posted:

I just got Dragoon to 86, and holy gently caress I am suddenly glad I don't main this job. The little musical riff on Chaotic Spring, an ability that is used regularly in the rotation, is absolutely grating and awful. Why the hell would you put a harp sound or whatever it is on one random Dragoon attack?

It's from the dragoon character in FF9 iirc

e: wait I'm thinking of something else

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Onean posted:

These are both correct, depending on what you mean, Professor Beetus.

The PvP Series, which is the leveling battlepass-like system that has a handful of cosmetics and rewards Trophy Crystals, lasts until 6.2.

The PvP Season, which considers your ranking from Unranked all the way up to Crystal, will last until 6.18*, which will be the start of another season that will last until 6.2.

*On the Lodestone CC Rankings page:

Yeah, thanks for the responses. I guess by season I meant series, because every other game I've played with seasons usually use that term to refer to their battle pass equivalent.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Threw myself at PvP again for awhile and rode a hard loss streak, but again, I knew I was better than what was happening. Then for the last hour I started getting some good teammates who didn’t consistently throw themselves into the murder pile and knew how to aggressively defend and I rode a win streak all the way to Diamond. I’m comfortable with that rank.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Heavensward LP reunites with several friends, including some of our oldest ones like depression and intractable conflicts rooted in racial hatred and imperialism

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Similarly, is there a quick way to check if I did Faux Hollows this week?

Yes, if you go to the unreal in duty finder it tells you (in the same place that it tells you for raids etc)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
This is cool.
https://twitter.com/fisherfruity/status/1520854609392283650?t=q5tEfQKoZtlwz9SyvPc5Rw&s=19

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That person has made a lot of very helpful ffxiv fishing guides and is therefore Cool

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

The other tanks can do this too. Hell dark knights immunity buffs this patch makes it even easier now. The content you're talking about is probably some of the easiest to clear as long as at least 2 people in the party are paying half attention. We're talking about content that 99.9% of people doing it are doing through DF which means they're doing standard comp anyway so even if WAR was the only tank that had that much self sustain it wouldn't actually fuckijg matter so even ignoring the other tanks this is a pointless detail to talk about balance.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Except that tank self-sustain kind of inherently influences the healing/DPS/additional mechanic balance for healers. If the developers want healers to be healing more, that's gonna run into problems if the tanks can heal themselves like mad anyway.

Again this is only an issue in content where the dsp tanking and healing checks are almost non existant or gimmick runs of high end content done by people extremely good at playing that class.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Is there a way to see all the jobs someone has levelled in the overworld like in dungeons? I give away all the duplicate minions i get from GC lootboxes but it's hard to tell if someone is a new player or an alt sometimes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SkylarTnT/status/1521113365984260098?s=20&t=_9XDvqoqdNnbboWBgaLS7w

We've got World First.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

They must have been gaming hard for days!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

CJ posted:

Is there a way to see all the jobs someone has levelled in the overworld like in dungeons? I give away all the duplicate minions i get from GC lootboxes but it's hard to tell if someone is a new player or an alt sometimes.

Right click view search info should do it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cleretic posted:

What do you mean by the devs want the healers to be healing more, and why do you think that would apply from a bottom up approach at expert dungeons and not top down from raids? There’s plenty of healing needed in (well, typically more true of earlier gear curve) savage prog and ultimate which lines up with where they also want the game to be the most demanding and failure is far more expected

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RME posted:

Right click view search info should do it

I don't see that option. Is it in a sub menu?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I think a lot of this just has to do with the fact that everything below extreme/savage/ultimate is balanced so that anyone can clear it, because they need to in order to see the story. Healers have enough healing power that a decent healer can keep a very bad tank alive and/or cover for DPS who keep taking damage. Tanks have enough sustain that a decent tank can keep themselves alive if they have a really bad (or dead) healer. I think that might be the goal behind this particular balance. The downside of this is that in a situation where both the tank and healer are competent in the more casual content, the healer is the one who ends up feeling like their role is vestigial and they're just playing a boring DPS most of the time.

Meanwhile, damage is tuned high enough in high-end content that both the healing and tank sustain are required.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 2, 2022

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CJ posted:

I don't see that option. Is it in a sub menu?

Not unless you're in the same party with them, which seems really weird.

If they're on your server, go to the Social menu and pick "player search" and search for their first or last name so they show up in the results pane. From there, you can right-click>View Search Info and see their jobs.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Dungeon damage is always going to be super light because if you get matched with a group of four you don't want the whole party to wipe just because one person isn't at their best. Like you can't necessarily have someone doing nothing, but if they're performing below average you don't want any one person to be responsible for not clearing, because that results in a lot of pressure on one particular person which is antithetical to being accessible to more casual players.

Just run stuff min-ilvl with similarly minded people or whatnot. If your complaint is "if the other three party members are on point I'm not needed" in a given roulette, well, that's a reality everyone has to deal with. Hell, at least healing as to come from someone. Everyone does damage, but no one complains DPSes are unnecessary in content without a DPS check.

"Oh, but they make it go faster!"

Duh. That's the reality of the action economy of the game. You want to heal as little as possible, because not doing so means you can do more damage faster. This is an inevitable result of healing and damage dealing taking up the same resources -- the very thing that makes healing actually engaging in higher end content. You're gonna have a lot of trouble having one without the other, and squaring that with "not redesigning the role trinity from the ground up" and "is accessible to people with lives and a job" is practically impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CJ posted:

Just check and see if they're still wearing the level 1 accessories at like level 25 or whatever. Still got the Dawn Wristguards on at level 33? New.

I would sometimes hang out at Vesper Bay with a stack of level 29ish HQ right-side gear for different jobs and give them away to sprouts. Maybe handing out minions could be fun, too.