Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Ghostlight posted:

probably the one that dumps you in selia crystal mines that's right next to the starting area before you've gotten your horse.
The one in Patches' cave is worse iirc... The Crystal Mines one can be snuck out of quite easily (once you know where to go!), and that was a good rune levelling spot for my baby mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The worst thing about the Caelid teleport is those stupid ten legged centipede-looking pieces of poo poo that shoot that spider web that travels at light speed like a homing missile and takes like half of your newbie health pool

Top 3 most annoying enemies in the game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

boop the snoot posted:

The worst thing about the Caelid teleport is those stupid ten legged centipede-looking pieces of poo poo that shoot that spider web that travels at light speed like a homing missile and takes like half of your newbie health pool

Top 3 most annoying enemies in the game.

I swear they stealth nerfed those. I've been taking waaaay less damage when I get sniped by those while running my New Character Resource Loops.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Y'all. I have seen that chart. I know that Golden Parry is just as good as Buckler Parry or differs by like - 1 frame or some poo poo.

But for some reason, I can Buckler Parry like a GODDDDDDDD and can't parry poo poo with a MD Shield with Golden Parry.

:iiam:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

HaB posted:

Y'all. I have seen that chart. I know that Golden Parry is just as good as Buckler Parry or differs by like - 1 frame or some poo poo.

But for some reason, I can Buckler Parry like a GODDDDDDDD and can't parry poo poo with a MD Shield with Golden Parry.

:iiam:

Golden Parry actually has half again as many frames as the buckler parry. Which makes this even weirder.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm finding bloodborne way harder than elden ring but also I didn't interact with the parry or guard counter mechanics at all until my last playthrough and I'm still figuring out the parry timing in bloodborne (I keep getting iced by the trolls people say to practice on)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ghostlight posted:

probably the one that dumps you in selia crystal mines that's right next to the starting area before you've gotten your horse.

wait where is this one because that sounds awesome

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm finding bloodborne way harder than elden ring but also I didn't interact with the parry or guard counter mechanics at all until my last playthrough and I'm still figuring out the parry timing in bloodborne (I keep getting iced by the trolls people say to practice on)

i never bothered doing the BB parry so it's def not required at all. BB is all about learning the ins and outs of your trick weapon so you can respond to whatever is happening. if you've done the DS shield turtle thing there might be a degree of learning pain.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It took me a while too. You know when they're getting ready to hit you in the face with a brick? Think of it like they're throwing a baseball. Don't shoot them during the wind-up; shoot them after they pitch. You can't parry the attack until it's actually launched.

You REALLY want to get the hang of parrying in Bloodborne.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
As an alternative to parrying you can get the axe hammer or greatsword and just knock everything on their rear end forever.

...until Kos. Ain't no cheesing him except for getting him stuck on a rock and breaking his ai

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Suggestion: the hunter pistol and the blunderbuss have VERY different timings. If you aren't vibing with one, try the other.

I can parry all day erryday with the pistol, but can't parry poo poo with the blunderbuss.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ghostlight posted:

That one spits you out near the Rotten Stray ashes that apply Scarlet Rot, which I found tremendously helpful for early bosses.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

/\/\/\
Rot dog is an excellent doggo

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

wait where is this one because that sounds awesome

There's some burnt ruins in the lake right next to where you start with a trapped chest.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

HaB posted:

Suggestion: the hunter pistol and the blunderbuss have VERY different timings. If you aren't vibing with one, try the other.

I can parry all day erryday with the pistol, but can't parry poo poo with the blunderbuss.

I wish I got good at partying with the big golden church gun. Pistol is just way easier but doesn’t look as cool.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Foul Fowl posted:

bloodborne is nowhere near as hard as elden ring, and it's not really a scary game beyond the themes and the implications of what's going on, unless you really hate spiders lol. it's also fuckin so good, i think the lineage you can draw from it to elden ring's combat is very clear.

So -- and I am not saying this because I'm thumping my chest here -- I didn't find Elden Ring to be very hard. I didn't ever farm for levels, but I explored a lot and by the time I was halfway through Liurnia I had the feeling I was overleveled, and that feeling never really went away. There were some challenging sections, sure, and you're not ever powerful enough to breeze through the dungeons without taking your time and thinning out mobs and watching for traps and tricks, but I blew through most bosses in a few tries and none of the combat challenges were too much for me to handle due to my survivability and the damage I could dish out. I don't think I'm very good at this style of game, though, so I'm a little daunted at playing a more guided Souls game rather than the open world, where I could easily delay fighting Margit for ten hours until my R1s are doing 5% of his HP bar. Worried about running into a Bloodborne/DS boss, finding out I'll have to hit him 50 times to kill him, and the only way to make it any easier on myself is to run through the previous level ten times to farm souls.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

So -- and I am not saying this because I'm thumping my chest here -- I didn't find Elden Ring to be very hard. I didn't ever farm for levels, but I explored a lot and by the time I was halfway through Liurnia I had the feeling I was overleveled, and that feeling never really went away. There were some challenging sections, sure, and you're not ever powerful enough to breeze through the dungeons without taking your time and thinning out mobs and watching for traps and tricks, but I blew through most bosses in a few tries and none of the combat challenges were too much for me to handle due to my survivability and the damage I could dish out. I don't think I'm very good at this style of game, though, so I'm a little daunted at playing a more guided Souls game rather than the open world, where I could easily delay fighting Margit for ten hours until my R1s are doing 5% of his HP bar. Worried about running into a Bloodborne/DS boss, finding out I'll have to hit him 50 times to kill him, and the only way to make it any easier on myself is to run through the previous level ten times to farm souls.

honestly you will probably get stuck at father gasciogne for a fairly long time because he's a big "learn how bloodborne specifically wants you to play" wall but once you get through him you should understand the flow a lot better and it will mostly be down to learning the execution of specific encounters.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Oh you don't have to worry about that, everything in BB--enemies and you equally--are made of wet paper.

EDIT: actually no I tell an accidental lie, for some reason on NG+ certain player style enemies have more health than any 30 Dark Souls bosses combined. But BBs NG+ is kinda crap and not worth doing anyway. Yarnham is briefly hell on Earth but then everything past it feels easier than it was on base game. It's loving weird.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 2, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Yeah, BB is pretty well tuned but only once you get how it wants you to play. It's not quite character action like Sekiro, but I would say build variety is a bit more limited in Bloodborne and dodging with some parry shots is the name of the game for most builds by far.

I remember finding Bloodborne's opening extremely difficult, but you can almost audibly hear it when it clicks, and then it's pretty smooth sailing.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Double post

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Phenotype posted:

well that's fair, bloodborne is obviously not as flexible in your approach but equally it has no bad weapons, and every encounter is more or less solveable by using specific techniques, especially since bosses are much more limited than in elden ring, barring a few of the optional DLC bosses who are nuts. your time will always be better spend trying to work out how to beat the boss than to going grinding.

e: solveable as compared to elden ring's branching open ended narrative style combos

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
Finally tracked down some respec tears and reassigned most of my Str/Fth into Vig, and shuffled my talismans around. As a result, my damage output barely changed, but I have like 50% more health :v: thanks thread!

Now to decide whether I want to stick with the claymore. It has pretty good reach, and I can swing it one-handed (important since I usually have a talisman out for ranged attacks and buffs) but it’s kind of boring. Dual wielding looks cool but I don’t really have the endurance to hold two of anything without wearing rags. Worried I might be a bit under-levelled (took out Radahn at level 49, I think I’m up to 55 now?), but eh, grinding is boring.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Phenotype posted:

All my friends who play this game went on and on about how hard Margit is so imagine my surprise when I beat him on the 5th try with no summons and then followed that up by beating the Grafted dude first try sight unseen.

But I think I took a very path than they did. This is my first Souls style game so I didn’t run straight to the hard stuff. I explored most of Limgrave and Weeping, and some of the red area. Got my rear end handed to me by 10 different mini bosses. By the time I finally ran into some cutscene bosses I knew my move set and how not to get baited into a bosses’ combo, how to wait them how for an opportunity then punish. I also had some good weapons I was comfortable using. I was expecting a hard fight but it was pretty easy.

That said I’m sure many people enter the castle at much lower level with a lot less tools/weapons/etc because if you’re following the golden light thing it kind of pushes you that way, arguably too early for many.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I hadnt been using the jellyfish spirit ashes because i had lhutel. But on a whim i buffed it up to like +5? Nothing too crazy and I started using it in bosses instead of Lhutel and wow it has a surprising amount of health and tankiness.

Also its lore description is adorable. So sorry headless knight its jellyfish time.

Edit: also just started clearing out Caelid a bit more and in my wanderings decided to get revenge on lazer shrimp hell. Felt good murdering all of them.

Double Edit Sudden Question: Do the teleporter trap chests remain even after theyve taken you once? Can you use them again? Just curious

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh, and we should probably mention the Cum Chalice.

Bloodborne has these things called Chalice Dungeons. You can go through premade ones or randomized ones. Well when you choose a random one you can put in your own code as a seed. If you put in the code

"cummmfpk"

You get put into a weird little chalice where you only have one hp. Go just a few steps in, look to your left, and you'll see a health bar start depleting. Once it dies you'll get a fuckload of echoes. Then you can use the homeward bone item to go back to the start and repeat the cycle forever. As a warning, DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR. What's happening is that a boss style enemy is being spawned right on top of a dungeon trap. If you get near them they'll spawn in properly and just be knocked away like they would be normally. This can get you literally million of runes in no time at all.

Even if you feel like it's cheating to buy your way to level 700 with this method it's still commonly used because it's generally accepted that making blood vials and bullets something you need to grind or buy was a bad call, so this just takes away the tedium by letting you max out your box.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Double Edit Sudden Question: Do the teleporter trap chests remain even after theyve taken you once? Can you use them again? Just curious

Yes, they can be reused. In fact, there's an optional dungeon in a later area of the game where they're the primary method of transportation.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

So I'm level 30 something and found the Great Jar in Caelid. The summons have 4500+ HP and one or two shot me. This is the fight you're supposed to do offline unless you're an endgame optimized build, right?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Caelid is like a lvl 70+ zone unless you got the skills to pay the bills.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Running away is a skill.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

WebDO posted:

So I'm level 30 something and found the Great Jar in Caelid. The summons have 4500+ HP and one or two shot me. This is the fight you're supposed to do offline unless you're an endgame optimized build, right?

The gimmick there is if you're playing online, the three people you face are clones of other players who have beaten clones of other players (repeat forever) doing this quest. In practice it means you're probably going to land clones sporting whatever broken rear end stuff they brought to try and beat the quest, and yeah that's kind of a struggle. Or you can do it offline and then you just kind of face three dudes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Summit posted:

That said I’m sure many people enter the castle at much lower level with a lot less tools/weapons/etc because if you’re following the golden light thing it kind of pushes you that way, arguably too early for many.

One of the things you are supposed to learn initially is that the golden light thing isn't necessarily telling you where to go next.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

On the one hand, I know there's a path you are recommended to take by the game. On the other hand I'm pretty proud that my little dude with Reduvia and a poison bandit sword looks like a bird now as I finally consider going back to Stormveil. I'm the guy that has cleared Sellia, the swamp, the alternate route to Altus, and still need to clear Stormveil. Playing mostly blind.

This game rules

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

The gimmick there is if you're playing online, the three people you face are clones of other players who have beaten clones of other players (repeat forever) doing this quest. In practice it means you're probably going to land clones sporting whatever broken rear end stuff they brought to try and beat the quest, and yeah that's kind of a struggle. Or you can do it offline and then you just kind of face three dudes

First time doing this shortly after release I was wondering why fromsoft would make the npc invader summons all use hoarfrost stomp :downs:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you can face a caster it's game over for the NPC as the AI is bad at playing em.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

If you can face a caster it's game over for the NPC as the AI is bad at playing em.

Is there a way to get it to reroll? I'm probably just going to go offline honestly

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Report: I'm having fun so far with Elden Ring after 50 hours, I just finished the snowy mountain area. From my understanding, that's near the endgame. It's my first FromSoftware game, but I've found the game overall less opaque and difficult than I feared.

The story bosses aren't that difficult, I haven't had to attempt one more than three times. The hardest bosses so far have been some of the optional dungeon ones. The ones that took the most attempts for me were the two godskin guys, one after the other; and another where you fight two crucible knights at once.

My only complaints so far:

1. The quests are really obscure. I can understand why the developers and fans don't want a modern-style quest log, but something like the Morrowind journal would be useful for keeping track of things.
2. With so much lore and gameplay put in item descriptions, it can be frustrating to get a view of them. First you have to figure out what category the item you just picked up is in (it's not always obvious). Then you have to cycle between views, even though I'm pretty sure all the necessary information could fit on the screen at once.
3. PC keybindings are bad. I know, it's really designed for a controller, but that's still no excuse for having to toggle through spells and items when we have perfectly good number keys. I wish there were a way to toggle sprinting, too.
4. PC performance is playable, but still has annoying moments of framerate drop. I have a 3070 and it happens even on low settings!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

WebDO posted:

Ooor you could jump on the branch and let the npcs walk off the cliff.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A friend of mine did NG+7 and said you actually pretty much have to solo everything by that point. Summons don’t scale to that point and are pretty much a waste of HP/FP

Doesn't your mimic scale with you though? I just struggled against NG+3 Malenia and I'm not sure how much farther I can even go

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't understand how this game would work blind. Do you have to write down everything that each NPC says so you can go back and study it for clues later? Do you have to regularly cycle back through the entire map and scan for new stuff to figure out where the next step of some questline is after the NPC disappears from the last location they were at?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I also like to think the lore of the giant jar overseeing Caelid Fight Club is just finding the most secluded spot he could, offering up "..." for a prize and eating the corpses until he was 20 feet tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

withak posted:

One of the things you are supposed to learn initially is that the golden light thing isn't necessarily telling you where to go next.

Serious question: how would you learn this?