Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

In april 1907 several waiters in Paris went on strike, one of their demands was the right to grow a mustache. The reason for this was that only members of the upper class was allows to grow one and finally the working class had had enough of it. One newspaper even wrote that their wives was perfectly happy to starve rather than having their husbands be forced to shave. By may the strikers had won and could wear their mustaches while working as waiters.

1907? that sounds like it was in the 1700s lol :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nah in the 1700s beards were for the poor men. Fancy lads shaved. And then donned goofy wigs.

Lookin good fellas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"A very hairy person is twerking on my head" should come back as a look.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Carthag Tuek posted:

1907? that sounds like it was in the 1700s lol :psyduck:

IIRC it wasn't a law or anything. It was restaurants specifically forbidding their waiters to have facial hair.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah in the 1700s beards were for the poor men. Fancy lads shaved. And then donned goofy wigs.

Lookin good fellas.

I remember reading that the goofy wigs were originally used to hide hair loss due to syphilis, which (if true) is simply a perfect encapsulation of Europe's fancy lads.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
It was also a good way to combat lice, since a wig is a lot easier to delouse than your own actual hair.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Don't forget the lead poisoning-related hair loss from all that clown makeup!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think the fancy lads didn't shave, but were shaved.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah no proper nobleman would dream of shaving, cleaning, or dressing himself until the mid 20th century.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Meanwhile, you couldnt loving pay me.enough to be a noble, let alone a royal. That poo poo sounds like a nightmare to me. I'll empty my own loving chamber pot thanks

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a WC.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

christmas boots posted:

IIRC it wasn't a law or anything. It was restaurants specifically forbidding their waiters to have facial hair.

There was one member of parliament that tried to pass a bill that would make it illegal to force someone to shave but it was voted down.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yesterday I learned that not only were Douglas MacArthur and his dad, Arthur MacArthur, the first father and son pair to both be awarded the Medal of Honor, both commanded the US military in the Philippines at some point in their lives.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Arthur MacArthur is a great name.

Not quite as great as Gregor MacGregor, world class 19th-century scam artist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I still like the nomative determinism of Rob Fortune.

Or Roger Casement. Sorry, sorry that's a terrible joke

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bernie Madoff having a lifelong career making off with other people's money is pretty perfect.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Famed Victorian era plumbing fixture inventor Sir Thomas Crapper also had a great name. Crap as slang for excrement predates his birth, so he already had a funny name

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or the other 19th century scam artist Lord Gordon Gordon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sorry, but history’s best name belongs to the racehorse Potoooooooo.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Pronounced exactly as you should think

pot eight o's

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1665 during the Second Anglo-Dutch War the english and danish king made a deal. Denmark-Norway was neutral during the war which meant that a lot of dutch ship gathered in Bergen and a lot of those ships was loaded with gold and spice. So the kings of England and Denmark-Norway agreed that if the norwegian military didn't defend the dutch ships while the english fleet attacked, they would split the loot. Unfortunately the commander of the norwegian fortress didn't get the order and he told the english fleet that they should leave and that he would open fire on them if they attacked any dutch ship. The english fleet then decided to attack. As promised the norwegian fortress opened fire and together with the dutch ships the english fleet was routed.

Six days after the battle the norwegians finally received the order and the english fleet was allowed to attack again. But by then it was too late, the english fleet was in no shape to mount an attack and the dutch had received reinforcements.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Imagine being the commander of that fortress after reading the letter.

"Well, poo poo."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"There's gonna be *singing* RE-PER-CUSSIONS!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Norwegian sandal, circa 3rd century CE

quote:

Would there always have been snow here? Most likely, Finstad says. The amounts would have varied, but summer or winter, this was no place for flimsy shoes.

“I do a lot of hiking in the mountains, and you know, I find myself thinking, why would you wear that shoe up here… it’s just very, open. Full of patterns and holes. But it was there. We found it on the ice”, says Finstad.

He suggests googling Roman shoes for images of similar footwear. The shoe found in the Norwegian mountains is dated to 200-500, so the end of the Roman Empire.

“It looks almost like a sandal. It’s pretty astonishing, we’re up here at almost 2000 metres, and we find a shoe with fashion elements, similar to those found on the Continent at the time,” Finstad says.

[...]

“It’s easy to joke about a Roman tourist who didn’t quite understand much about the country he was visiting”, Finstad says.

https://sciencenorway.no/archaeolog...in-pass/2008637

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

romans used woollen socks with theirs in colder climates

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ChubbyChecker posted:

romans used woollen socks with theirs in colder climates

While that would have worked right up until the wool got wet, I'm more bowled over by the idea of the romans wearing socks with sandals

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wool still keeps you warm after getting wet, that's like the whole point of it

prolly not so much with socks, but the Romans had boots too

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Socks with sandals isn’t that big a deal when sandals are an all year round affair

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

While that would have worked right up until the wool got wet, I'm more bowled over by the idea of the romans wearing socks with sandals

Wool garments do not become cold just because they're wet. That's one of the big things about wool.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Socks with sandals isn’t that big a deal when sandals are an all year round affair

I stand corrected on the thermal properties of wool, but this I am not a fan of

This is worse than saying they got all their bread from Waitrose

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

May as well get some circuses while you're there, why make two trips?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just remembered my grandaunt telling me that back in the day the fishermen on the ice would dip their mittens (made of wool, obviously) in the sea water first thing, before beginning to pull in the seines. I guess making them wet actually improved the insulation they provided? IDK haven't tried it. But I can attest personally to the fact that wet wool socks in rubber boots will in fact keep your feet warm in the cold.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Also stretching your wool socks over your shoes/boots is very effective for traction when walking on ice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also stretching your wool socks over your shoes/boots is very effective for traction when walking on ice.

*ahem*

e: when I was small I had felt booties but at some point they started using sand a lot more in Winters so they became unviable in urban areas on the whole. Same with kicksleds.

ee: When I say sand I guess aggregate is more correct? Anyway that poo poo'll tear through felt toot sweet.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 20:07 on May 4, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wow the booties again!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Woolingtons?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I just remembered my grandaunt telling me that back in the day the fishermen on the ice would dip their mittens (made of wool, obviously) in the sea water first thing, before beginning to pull in the seines. I guess making them wet actually improved the insulation they provided? IDK haven't tried it.

I would hazard a guess that the water would freeze on the mittens, which would create an air barrier that helps keep warm air from leaking out of your clothes. But that's only a guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would hazard a guess that the water would freeze on the mittens, which would create an air barrier that helps keep warm air from leaking out of your clothes. But that's only a guess.

Wonder if it's also a friction thing, and pre-wetting one's mittens and getting a little ice layer might keep the ropes from sticking?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah wool doesn't deal with friction well so I could see that being a thing. We did the same when I was skiing as a kid to offset wear and tear from the rope tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

To think that one of the greatest empires the world has ever seen was run by a bunch of Shoobies