Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

ArmZ posted:

GTA Vice City is a documentary

Funny, I've just started playing thru Vice CIty (again).

The water texture in the game looks better than the plywood.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
They already spotted an alligator on the fake marina.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Forecast is predicting around 90F/32C race weekend. Still kind of early but drivers are gonna have a bad time. And not just from a bad track.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

a real chump posted:

They already spotted an alligator on the fake marina.

:xd: :bravo:

That made me laugh rather hard, thanks for that :D

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

net work error posted:

Forecast is predicting around 90F/32C race weekend. Still kind of early but drivers are gonna have a bad time. And not just from a bad track.

Great news for good Americans, Haas F1.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Is it thunderstorm season yet?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

learnincurve posted:

His girlfriend is world class cyclist, top 7 road, but had covid not come along when it did she'd be the number 1 ladies gravel cyclist in the world right now. Bottas tags along with her and does the shorter courses for the non-pros.

Nice. I used to crit race which is basically NASCAR on bikes, and I know all these dudes are in top shape, but being protected by a CF cocoon has to give you some sense of invincibility when diving into a corner vs on a bike.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

As an Alfa owner I am enjoying this season mightily

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Wasn't there a rumour Alfa were possibly dropping out and Sauber had been looking at other constructors to sponsor them? I wonder if the improved performance will convince Alfa to stick around.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazing how big valt seems likeable now.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Miami looking poo poo in the dumbest way possible is the most american thing since Donald J. Trump was president.

Your country has no culture

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Kloaked00 posted:

In that drone video, did I see that part of the track goes under the highway on ramp??

They trying to copy the tunnel in Monaco?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I hope Kid Rock waves the chequered flag

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

spaceblancmange posted:

I hope Kid Rock waves the chequered flag

I assume they asked Pitbull to do it, so if it isn’t him that means he turned them down

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wasn't there a rumour Alfa were possibly dropping out and Sauber had been looking at other constructors to sponsor them? I wonder if the improved performance will convince Alfa to stick around.

There‘s a recent interview with Vasseur where he said he‘s looking into options to become less reliant.

I sadly can only offer it in German:

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel-1/news/vasseur-im-interview-was-bottas-mit-den-ganz-grossen-gemeinsam-hat-22050101

Or Italian:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/vasseur-esclusivo-sto-vivendo-il-mio-sogno-in-f1-con-lalfa/10246709/

Maybe Google Translate helps.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Pirate Radar posted:

I assume they asked Pitbull to do it, so if it isn’t him that means he turned them down

One gets the flag the other the anthem

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

refleks posted:

Miami looking poo poo in the dumbest way possible is the most american thing since Donald J. Trump was president.

Your country has no culture

dont mistake age for culture

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1521061969880625162?s=20&t=xRkA72P4c4I9tWXI0bzDsw

Audi is ready to offer around 500 million euros ($556.30 million) for British luxury sports carmaker McLaren as a means to enter, a source told Reuters in March, while Porsche intends to establish a long-term partnership with racing team Red Bull starting in several years' time.

:trumppop:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

In that drone video, did I see that part of the track goes under the highway on ramp??

Yeah it goes under the turnpike ramps and then has to squeeze into a tiny space at the top right of the property for the beginning of the long straight. It’s a bit bonkers they fit it all in.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ArmZ posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1521061969880625162?s=20&t=xRkA72P4c4I9tWXI0bzDsw

Audi is ready to offer around 500 million euros ($556.30 million) for British luxury sports carmaker McLaren as a means to enter, a source told Reuters in March, while Porsche intends to establish a long-term partnership with racing team Red Bull starting in several years' time.

:trumppop:

So the honda rbpt Porsche Red Bull Racing engine?

Also

https://twitter.com/mattamys/status/1521082921217667074?s=21&t=kyBTDmJ5WLBAtlb4RI-NXQ

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

:discourse:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

So the honda rbpt Porsche Red Bull Racing engine?

Essentially. But there’s still worries about how these groups can possibly work together to effectively triple the resources available to new manufacturers.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
rip mclaren

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
So by 2025 there could be 26 drivers if VW and Andretti lock in. Cars are getting bigger so I hope Monaco is phased out.

The run up to turn 17 looks ridiculously long.
https://youtu.be/d1zGK2uQK5E

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
so can someone explain the point of having two arms of the same manufacturer operating competing motorsports programs and how it wont be a conflict of interest at all?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Audi should buy Williams from that investment company and leave McLaren alone.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rhopunzel posted:

so can someone explain the point of having two arms of the same manufacturer operating competing motorsports programs and how it wont be a conflict of interest at all?

They did that at LM24 for a few years didn’t they?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rhopunzel posted:

Alpha Tauri does it just fine

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

You know red bull have been running two teams for a while right?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They did that at LM24 for a few years didn’t they?

yeah and immediately noped out the second their parent company experienced any hardship, because turns out one motorsport program is expensive, let alone two

some bullshits going to happen a year or two in, their stocks going to momentarily dip or whatever, their board is going to look at the books and have a collective heart attack and pull the plug on everything. calling it now.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rhopunzel posted:

so can someone explain the point of having two arms

Kubica has probably answered this at some point but you can do your own research.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

CancerCakes posted:

You know red bull have been running two teams for a while right?

Alpha Tauri are explicitly a B-team to cultivate drivers for the A-team and have been from the start. It was never their intention to compete with Red Bull. Its also generally accepted, at least early on, that some transfer of tech and info went on between the two

Unless its been stated otherwise, the assumption is both Audi and Porsche would be competing at the same level which raises questions about 1. the point and 2. what's stopping them sharing data

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rhopunzel posted:

yeah and immediately noped out the second their parent company experienced any hardship, because turns out one motorsport program is expensive, let alone two

some bullshits going to happen a year or two in, their stocks going to momentarily dip or whatever, their board is going to look at the books and have a collective heart attack and pull the plug on everything. calling it now.

I think there’s a joke to be made here about German engineering prowess in contrast to German strategic thinking

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Custard Undies posted:

:hmmyes:

but only as long as they dont change staffing too much...

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

Kubica has probably answered this at some point but you can do your own research.

:pusheen: lmfao

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Custard Undies posted:

This, for the sweet supplier discount scheme

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
rock hard at the prospect of Audi winning the 2026 WCC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ja_raul posted:

So by 2025 there could be 26 drivers if VW and Andretti lock in. Cars are getting bigger so I hope Monaco is phased out.

The run up to turn 17 looks ridiculously long.
https://youtu.be/d1zGK2uQK5E

both Audi and Porsche would be joining with existing teams, so nothing new - just re-branding of Red Bull engines as Porsche, and Audi supplying a team currently powered by Mercedes. if Audi do decide to create a new team, that would take us to 22 cars, and Andretti joining would go to 24. I believe there are a maximum of 13 team slots right now, so 26 would be it.

Rhopunzel posted:

As to why spend the money: they've got some levels of autonomy, and clearly both sides have presented business cases they claim can work. Audi's is balls deep, and either going in hard with McLaren or building their own team, thus learning the lessons Renault have had to teach themselves a few times. Porsche is the badge job, to try and partner with Red Bull, so I wouldn't be shocked if factory Porsches in other areas start wearing Red Bull schemes if that goes through. Factory racing is expensive, spending others' money is better than yours.

But the "two arms of the same manufacturer, plus an existing team, and they might be sharing notes?" is the reason why there's been hesitancy apparently with the existing manufacturers. "New manufacturers" get some extra funding to develop, but what happens when there are two new manufacturers under the same roof, and would Porsche and Red Bull PT both count as "new" manufacturers? Would any of the current design of the Honda RBPT carry over? That's what needs to get decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Audi is the worst German car marque, mercedes is more prestigious and BMW is meant to be the ultimate driving experience, Audi is just meh