Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

This is mocking actual NFT dipshits

https://twitter.com/boss_on_here/status/1520924552578150401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's literally impossible to tell the difference

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

SAY YOHO posted:

"Massa" is a common old-timey way to depict "slow" Africans saying "master"? (Thanks Tintin) is that just a coincidence to the more likely trupf slogan?

That would be more believable if they could explain how sauces aren't safe at the moment and how their sauces bring a new golden era of safety.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/boss_on_here/status/1520923803706175494

they have actual nfts minted on opensea

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Party Ape posted:

That would be more believable if they could explain how sauces aren't safe at the moment and how their sauces bring a new golden era of safety.

Put that way it sounds ominous.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
remember the guy on bitcointalk forums who was all "what if we put ground glass in jars of baby food and threatened to hide them on supermarket shelves, in order to extort the supermarkets to accept bitcoin"?

maybe they're protecting us all against that, but in bottles of soy sauce instead of baby food

Blockchain's killer app is protecting us all from the terrible crimes of blockchain people

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like the suggestion that that sentence mimics the "14 words" would be stronger if it actually was 14 words in length.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That collection was made nearly a year ago and has zero activity now, pretty sure the guy who started ironyposting about it 2 days ago is just doing a bit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I'm not normally in favor of stringent copyright enforcement, but Nintendo, please sue this loser while he's down

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Volvo on the blockchain!

Car and Driver posted:

Polestar has partnered with software company Circulor, which uses blockchain technology to track where Polestar sources cobalt and mica, two key minerals used in electric-car batteries.

Polestar says the partnership allows it to verify that the minerals are coming from ethical mining and manufacturing sources. The technology has also seen Polestar switch to aluminum suppliers which use sustainable energy.

Polestar claims this has reduced the carbon emissions from producing the aluminum tray holding the 2’s battery. Polestar is experimenting with similar emissions reductions with its aluminum wheels, and expects the wheels to start saving carbon emissions in the second half of the year.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39841858/2023-polestar-2-updates/

Don't ask me wtf they need the blockchain for that. Or how it can help. Whatever.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

busalover posted:

Volvo on the blockchain!

Don't ask me wtf they need the blockchain for that. Or how it can help. Whatever.

When an exec walks up and says that his golf buddy convinced him blockchain technology can help, the dumb engineer laughs and says no. The smart engineer says: Sure thing boss! For $$$ I can convert the database to a "private blockchain", proceeds to deploy an off-the-shelf nosql database, and sits on their rear end for a month.

I don't know if that's what's going on here, but I have no doubt whatsoever that this is frequently the case.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Burning down the rain forest to ethically source aluminium.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Um actually viruses are running Folding@home

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

zedprime posted:

Um actually viruses are running Folding@home

:golfclap:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

repiv posted:

That collection was made nearly a year ago and has zero activity now, pretty sure the guy who started ironyposting about it 2 days ago is just doing a bit

irony/joke posting almost always leads to real posting though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's literally impossible to tell the difference

it's pretty easy. just scroll down and see if they've ever tweeted anything besides shilling for the NFTs they've invested in. or scroll up and look at their bio to see if it contains anything besides a handful of crypto buzzwords or a listing of all their NFT purchases

real NFT shillsters never talk about anything except NFTs and crypto

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hammerite posted:

remember the guy on bitcointalk forums who was all "what if we put ground glass in jars of baby food and threatened to hide them on supermarket shelves, in order to extort the supermarkets to accept bitcoin"?

maybe they're protecting us all against that, but in bottles of soy sauce instead of baby food

Blockchain's killer app is protecting us all from the terrible crimes of blockchain people

Just reminded of the fake/cut baby formula panic in China and the executives of the company that did it got executed by the government

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if there's states with more people per thousand who are more susceptible to getting scammed than others.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if there's states with more people per thousand who are more susceptible to getting scammed than others.

Almost certainly. The question whether that's just due to random variation or something else.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

busalover posted:

Volvo on the blockchain!

The good news is that private blockchain doesn't have the insane overheads that Bitcoin does. So this is just stupid, not destructive and stupid.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Almost certainly. The question whether that's just due to random variation or something else.

im not a data science peep, but I'm pretty sure the top two factors is

1) number of olds and how red a state votes
2) environmental pollutants like lead.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

i don't think it's really an open question that this stuff is overwhelmingly effective against the old and/or poor

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndersonFRRRR/status/1521007329822580736

UP TO THREE!!!

(zero is up to three)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/may/02/yuga-labs-apologises-after-sale-of-virtual-land-crashes-ethereum

quote:

Yuga Labs, the company behind the Bored Ape NFTs beloved of Jimmy Fallon and Paris Hilton, announced the sale of its latest tokens – representing plots of land in a forthcoming multiplayer game called Otherside – on Sunday. A total of 55,000 plots were sold, at a flat price of 305 ApeCoin (a currency created by Yuga), which is worth about £4,500 at current exchange rates.

Demand for the plots was so high that it overwhelmed the Ethereum blockchain, a layer of infrastructure that all cryptocurrency projects rely on to operate. As users raced to be one of the lucky few able to secure an “Otherdeed”, transaction fees on the network rose higher and higher, until an individual NFT purchase cost more than £2,500 in fees alone. One user, who successfully secured two Otherdeeds, paid a transaction fee of over 5 ETH (£11,000) on top of the £9,000 to buy the land itself. Others lost thousands of pounds failing to secure the tokens at all: if a user runs out money while paying the transaction fees, the transaction fails, but the fees aren’t refunded.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

They helped me, a completely real person with a Twitter account registered last month, which was only as early as 3 days ago.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I pissed a smiley face into the dirt the other day and now it's gone (hacked), now I'm out $10k! Help!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How long does it takes for bubbles like tulip mania for completely useless novelty poo poo to pop? You'd think everything should happen faster now. Does a major corporation have to collapse over it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the bubble for completely useless novelty poo poo that is, uh, the American economy appears to be popping right now. the digital monkeys won't outlast it but if it was possible to time the market more precisely than that they'd be an actually reasonable moneymaking scheme.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 2, 2022

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
NFTs were money for his wife's surgery. Not all that surprised that Doctor Nick takes payment in bitcoins tbh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hammerite posted:

NFTs were money for his wife's surgery. Not all that surprised that Doctor Nick takes payment in bitcoins tbh

Doctor Nick hawking cryptocurrency would make a good Simpsons episode but the writers would absolutely gently caress it up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How long does it takes for bubbles like tulip mania for completely useless novelty poo poo to pop? You'd think everything should happen faster now. Does a major corporation have to collapse over it?

it required wars to happen before that bullshit ended.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Warren Buffett NGMI

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEKQCvgLO6RQFFxSdxWyTQT4qFggEKg0IACoGCAowlIECMLBMMM6SmQY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
https://twitter.com/batcowls/status/1519209881760411649?s=21&t=MBwgGQ6T3eyGVZaMxv0uGA

I should stop being surprised but it just keeps happening!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

repiv posted:

Weird bit

https://twitter.com/boss_on_here/status/1520972140614680576?s=21&t=hHUflC3JmxVqgAvTKIi59g

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The actual "mania" phase of tulips was pretty much just 1 winter in 1636-37. (Tulips were expensive luxury item for several years before and after, but the giant value bubble was a fairly short period.) Likewise, the South Seas Bubble only lasted for half a year or less.

Bubbles seem to actually last *longer* in the modern day, probably because there is a much larger pool of bagholders investors to keep them going.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

The actual "mania" phase of tulips was pretty much just 1 winter in 1636-37. (Tulips were expensive luxury item for several years before and after, but the giant value bubble was a fairly short period.) Likewise, the South Seas Bubble only lasted for half a year or less.

Bubbles seem to actually last *longer* in the modern day, probably because there is a much larger pool of bagholders investors to keep them going.

More investors, more ability to pull in new ones over time from different countries and different governments, and more ability to keep people in the frenzy zone and out of the "sage advice from loved ones" zone

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I guess the after the tulip bubble burst there were lots of tulips available for gardens at least, so that would have been nice.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

A san francisco chronicle restaurant critic went to the bored ape restaurant.

I am sad GarfieldEats did not last long enough to overlap with the NFT fad blowing up because we know that guy would have been all in.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
He tried, nobody bought the ones he made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

This one is being prolonged by the injection of imaginary dollars using "stablecoins." Tether printer goes brrrrr for a reason.