Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1520484758077194241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There's gotta be a dozen perfect thread titles in there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The Canadian Star Empire begins today! :canada:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

vyelkin posted:

I assume these are far from the first people to commit suicide because they could not find adequate housing, but we don't hear about the ones who don't go through the legal euthanasia process, but it is still horrifying. Maybe, just maybe, just maybe, this could finally wake some people up to how hosed up the whole situation is when they see an article about a 31-year-old going through with this because even a full court press from disability advocates literally could not find an apartment that someone can afford on ODSP

an apartment that is wheelchair accessible and doesn't have chemicals in the nearby air is a tall order but when the alternative is death, fuckin find a way

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

an apartment that is wheelchair accessible and doesn't have chemicals in the nearby air is a tall order but when the alternative is death, fuckin find a way

Designate the home a police department and the person a cop. Problem solved. So ez

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Covidiot protests came back to the Beltline right after the injunction expires, quelle suprise

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Hell yea lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can we buy real estate on the Moon/ in space yet or is it all crown land??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

you are allowed to camp on the moon for up to 25 days, but then you must move to another celestial body. no hunting moon animals out of season

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

I’m being told the moon is now treaty land (so we don’t have to give them earth land)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

blockade the moon!!!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

quote:

Ottawa police are investigating what they're calling hate-motivated mischief at a church in the city's Vanier neighbourhood Sunday morning.  

:shepface:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

someone must have suggested, in a stunning display of cognitive dissonance, that vandalising a church is a hate crime

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

did this church support the truckers or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this is gonna turn out like that time they found out it actually was a nazi war memorial, isn't it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a primate posted:

did this church support the truckers or something

they are supporting them presently

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

they are supporting them presently

definitely a hate crime to say their political standpoint is unwanted, yep

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

definitely a hate crime to say their political standpoint is unwanted, yep

let's be fair the cops are calling it "hate-motivated mischief". that's just a normal day from a cop perspective

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Colonel Cancer posted:

https://lunarregistry.com/moon-land/
there are dozens of these

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

this is gonna turn out like that time they found out it actually was a nazi war memorial, isn't it

i love the detail in that article you posted a while back that the government gave them money to put up a security camera afterwards

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cool that the cops finally care about hate crimes, sucks that they only care if the hate is directed at catholics

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tbf they cared last year when it was that NaziChrystia Freeland's base's monument in Oakville

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm no dummy I will only buy moon land if it is registered on the blockchain

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

this is just an excuse to give police more money to purchase even longer CANADarms of the law

fixed it for you!

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Also I found out from a cbc Instagram post why I’m not getting my tax return despite having filed a while ago: the increase to the pre-existing teacher tax credit you get for buying poo poo for your classroom from your own pocket hasn’t yet technically been passed by parliament so in their infinite wisdom, my return is being held back until the law is passed :).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Woops cool zone sliding a bit into Montreal.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-05-01/montreal/une-manifestation-anticapitaliste-dispersee-au-centre-ville.php

quote:

Anti-capitalist protesters gathered downtown Sunday afternoon and were dispersed by the Montreal Police Department (SPVM) after breaking windows, spray-painting graffiti and throwing projectiles at police.

"It got out of hand very, very quickly," said Sergeant Manuel Couture, media relations officer for the SPVM. Around 5 p.m., a crowd of a few hundred people gathered at Place du Canada in downtown Montreal, where Aboriginal activists held several speeches.

"This year, anti-capitalist activists sent a clear message: there will never be enough cops, enough dirty laws, or enough prisons to hide the crimes committed in the name of white supremacist capitalist economics," said a statement from CLAC (Convergence des luttes anticapitalistes, Montréal), which organized the rally.

The group started to march around 5:45 pm. About fifteen minutes later, smoke bombs were used. Quickly, the demonstration took an aggressive turn," says Manuel Couture. Windows were smashed, graffiti was sprayed on storefronts and luxury cars, and rocks were thrown at police officers who were surrounding the rally.

"Many people had ski masks in the crowd and as soon as they arrived [at the intersection] of René-Lévesque and Robert-Bourassa, they started breaking business windows," said Manuel Couture.

Symbols of capitalism and colonialism were legitimately targeted by demonstrators, such as Google, the Palais des congrès and several banks," CLAC said in an email. Together, we proved to them that fear must change sides."

At 6:04 p.m., the SPVM said on Twitter that a dispersal operation was underway in the area of the Palais des congrès. "People must leave the area immediately," the SPVM tweeted.

After requests from the SPVM, "irritating agents" were used to disperse the crowd, adds Manuel Couture. At approximately 6:15 p.m., the rally dispersed. SPVM officers continued to patrol the area.

According to the CLAC, the SPVM "deployed its rottenness to come and repress, beat and prevent activists from expressing their hatred towards a colonial system leading us straight to the ecological precipice. The CLAC denounces in particular an "unnecessarily disproportionate police force".

At 6:25 pm, the SPVM announced on Twitter that "the dispersal operation" was over. A 25-year-old man was arrested for assault with a weapon on a police officer, said Véronique Comtois, a public relations officer at the SPVM. A total of 12 criminal acts are under investigation, including 7 misdemeanors, 4 assaults with a weapon and assault on police officers. In addition, two police officers and one citizen were injured.

"I think there is a little general disgust of the population [towards capitalism], so they are attacking what they can see in the city," said Jamai Mamoul, a 24-year-old resident of the neighborhood who was interviewed by La Presse in front of the Google Montreal building on Viger Avenue.

He and his friend and neighbor El Mostafa Kahbaz heard the demonstration and commotion for about 30 minutes on Sunday. "We were not present during the break-in," says Mr. Mamoul.

Beside him, Mr. Kahbaz, 25, says the movement reminds him of the Yellow Vests in France. "We don't know much about the various demonstrations here, but if it's against capitalism, there must be a lot of people," he says. The French yellow vests were protesting against the rising cost of gasoline from 2018.

On May 1, 2021, an anti-capitalist demonstration had also been declared illegal in Montreal.
quick translation with Deepl.com

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I feel like this is pretty standard May 1st stuff for Montreal, especially since 2012.

The difference this year was the trucker style anti-mask/sanitary measures protest taking place near the stade olympique on the same day. I waited for my bus for 30 min before walking a bit - then i heard them blasting Rage against the machine and saw the trucks full of flags. Only thing the cops did was asking the buses to turn to another street for some reasons and managing the pissed off montrealers who wondered what the hell was going on.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
Fun fact, you can't be sued for hate speech if you do it based on religion. Here's a lazy copy-paste from the Criminal Code on hate speech:
Defences

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)

(a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;

(b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;

This is inclusive and can't ever cause any problems whatsoever. Qanon churches or christian radicals being hateful? That's freedom, my friend.

So yes, churches can be havens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Its that time posted:

Fun fact, you can't be sued for hate speech if you do it based on religion. Here's a lazy copy-paste from the Criminal Code on hate speech:
Defences

(b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;

This is inclusive and can't ever cause any problems whatsoever. Qanon churches or christian radicals being hateful? That's freedom, my friend.

Well of course, could you imagine a world where a Christian had to face actual consequences? What a horrifying thought

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/Yogalnstructor/status/1520880343053574144?s=20&t=zwMJOU1DuYRiknyxJeULog

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

how do you verify someone is unvaccinated, probably not worth living under that idiot but it is $2k cheaper a month...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's like crossfit people, they'll tell you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol the RTB would love to weigh in on this one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Its that time posted:

Defences

im pretty sure that clause exists because otherwise hate crime laws would violate the charter of rights

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Cerepol posted:

how do you verify someone is unvaccinated, probably not worth living under that idiot but it is $2k cheaper a month...

can you also prove ur european heritage

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

DariusLikewise posted:

can you also prove ur european heritage

I'm Asian so it's gonna be really hard but I'll try

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I always carry a pair of calipers around so naysayers can measure my skull themselves.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

considering my noble phoenician blood these barbarous saxons should just give me the house for free as thanks for inventing algebra

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I'm Asian so it's gonna be really hard but I'll try

europe is just a peninsula in asia, it's not a real continent, you're set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

europe is just a peninsula in asia, it's not a real continent, you're set

I'm no geographician, but you may be thinking of India.