Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

The Cardinals were always going to pick it up. It gives them two years to figure out if Murray will step it up and become an NFL level QB or if he's already at his ceiling of high level backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
I was referring to whether Murray would play for the Cardinals this season at all. We had the shenanigans of him erasing all social media mentions of the Cards several weeks ago. And just within the past week, media outlets like CBC Sports were posting stories like this one:

Kyler Murray rumors: Former Cardinals standouts predict QB will play elsewhere, Arizona has 'culture' problems

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lture-problems/

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CocoaNuts posted:

I was referring to whether Murray would play for the Cardinals this season at all. We had the shenanigans of him erasing all social media mentions of the Cards several weeks ago. And just within the past week, media outlets like CBC Sports were posting stories like this one:

Kyler Murray rumors: Former Cardinals standouts predict QB will play elsewhere, Arizona has 'culture' problems

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lture-problems/

Right, we know what you're referring to; it still just doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Even if Kyler told Cardinals' brass that he would definitively never step foot in team facilities ever again, it would still behoove Arizona to pick up his option. He's more valuable as a trade asset if the fifth-year option is picked up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You think Arizona would offer him to Carolina for the #6 and some change? Pretty sure the Panthers would bite on that but it leaves the Cardinals with nobody at the spot unless they like one of the rookies or can finagle something for Mayfield. I'm not big or sold on Murray and never have been. Panthers have to do something and can't ride Darnold another year.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Murray is somewhere between above average and good and is a top 10 QB, I don't seem him getting traded, especially not for less than 3 firsts or something.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Murray has had a lot of public comments about wanting to win Super Bowls with Arizona and such since THE LETTER FROM HIS AGENT, so something must have been done to sate him for at least a little bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean just because there was a break doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed.

Look at the Rodgers thing last year

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I would have thought if Murray was on the block it would have been a lot more loud. Especially given what the market for Watson was.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

BlindSite posted:

I would have thought if Murray was on the block it would have been a lot more loud. Especially given what the market for Watson was.

Eh, I dunno. He doesn't have the hands Watson does and he seems incapable of running from troubling situations

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And here's one where the option is not being exercised:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants have elected to decline the fifth-year option on quarterback Daniel Jones' rookie contract, a source told ESPN's Dianna Russini. It would have guaranteed the team's starting quarterback $22.39 million next season.

The Giants did opt to pick up the fifth-year option on the rookie contract of defensive lineman Dexter Lawrence, the team announced. The 17th overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft is now guaranteed $10.8 million for the 2023 season.

Jones, 24, was the sixth overall selection in the 2019 draft out of Duke. But while the Giants still think he can be their quarterback into the future, he hasn't yet shown it consistently on the field. Jones has missed games because of injury each of his first three professional seasons and has thrown just 21 touchdown passes in the past two seasons combined.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33820957/source-new-york-giants-exercise-5th-year-option-qb-daniel-jones

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
21 touchdowns in the last three seasons combined. yuck

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Career Stats - 45 TD passes, 5 TD rushes, 29 Interceptions, 36 Fumbles

lol

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Watson is a top 5 QB and Murray looks like a high ceiling backup at the moment.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MrLogan posted:

MrLogan posted:

The Cardinals were always going to pick it up. It gives them two years to figure out if Murray will step it up and become an NFL level QB or if he's already at his ceiling of high level backup.

MrLogan posted:

He was terrible his first two years. Looked like he had finally figured out how to read a defense this year and made the leap, but then he regressed hard after the injury.

MrLogan posted:

Murray hasn't shown that he's an NFL quality starter. Unless the Cards think he'll take a Josh Allen style leap, if they can fleece a team, they should.

Quite the gimmick you have going. Ironically Kyler "High ceiling backup" Murray has nearly as many Pro Bowl selections as Carr (2 vs 3), has played in just as many playoff games as Carr and Murray's "Josh Allen level Rookie year" included Murray winning the Offensive Rookie of the Year. I don't know in what world you think Murray isn't at the very least in the top half of the league, probably top ten, thinking he's just a "high level backup" is insane.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MrLogan posted:

I know he hasn't yet shown he can carry a team, but that's a little harsh. At week 8 he was a being talked about as an MVP candidate.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

syzpid posted:

Quite the gimmick you have going. Ironically Kyler "High ceiling backup" Murray has nearly as many Pro Bowl selections as Carr (2 vs 3), has played in just as many playoff games as Carr and Murray's "Josh Allen level Rookie year" included Murray winning the Offensive Rookie of the Year. I don't know in what world you think Murray isn't at the very least in the top half of the league, probably top ten, thinking he's just a "high level backup" is insane.

It's not a gimmick? Murray hasn't shown he's a starting caliber NFL QB.

lol, thinking that Pro Bowls matter. Josh Jacobs deserved Offensive RoY that year, don't lie to yourself.

I mean, he's a top 10 fanty QB, which is why people seem to think he's good even though he's not.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

syzpid posted:

Quite the gimmick you have going.

Better or worse than his other one, "the Raiders have never legitimately lost in my lifetime and the refs are always against us specifically"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

MrLogan posted:

It's not a gimmick? Murray hasn't shown he's a starting caliber NFL QB.

Yes he has and this is easy to prove. He's better than numerous starters

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Nick Foles is on the loose!

The Chicago Bears have agreed to release quarterback Nick Foles, the team confirmed on Saturday night.

The Bears originally acquired Foles two seasons ago in a trade from Jacksonville for a fourth-round pick.

After starting seven games in 2020, the Super Bowl LII MVP only logged one start last season. He carried a $10.67 million cap hit in 2022.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33835367/chicago-bear-agree-release-quarterback-nick-foles-two-seasons

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Yes he has and this is easy to prove. He's better than numerous starters

Being better than Sam Darnold or Daniel Jones doesn't make you an NFL quality starter.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

prove it

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CocoaNuts posted:

Nick Foles is on the loose!

The Chicago Bears have agreed to release quarterback Nick Foles, the team confirmed on Saturday night.

The Bears originally acquired Foles two seasons ago in a trade from Jacksonville for a fourth-round pick.

After starting seven games in 2020, the Super Bowl LII MVP only logged one start last season. He carried a $10.67 million cap hit in 2022.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33835367/chicago-bear-agree-release-quarterback-nick-foles-two-seasons

LOL

So...Foles to Carolina? I'd say Seattle but they actively appear to be tanking.

Not that signing Big Dick Nick would obstruct that plan.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL

So...Foles to Carolina? I'd say Seattle but they actively appear to be tanking.

Not that signing Big Dick Nick would obstruct that plan.

Natalie thinks the panthers are staring down the Niners for Jimmy G.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Big Dick Nick Didn't Stick

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Elephanthead posted:

Big Dick Nick Didn't Stick

Maybe he's a prick?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

BlindSite posted:

I know he hasn't yet shown he can carry a team, but that's a little harsh. At week 8 he was a being talked about as an MVP candidate.

if you can’t carry a team you’re not really worth starting, which fits in to the high level backup category

I think Murray deserves one more year before consigning him to backup status though, gotta prove he can win consistently after week 9

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

indigi posted:

if you can’t carry a team you’re not really worth starting

So...85 or 90 percent of starting QBs don't deserve to start? That's ridiculous.

There's only 32 of these jobs and anyone who holds any of them is one of the very best in the world at it. Anyone in the top 10 is elite. You seem to be suggesting that if you're not in the top 5, then :getout: but replace them with who, exactly?

Do Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson deserve to start? They haven't shown they can do anything. How about Carson Wentz? He's shown he's at least capable of carrying a team. Bill Belichick knows a lot more about football than you or I and he thinks Mac Jones can start. Justin Herbert "carried his team" to out of the playoffs. Better bench him. Eli Manning never could carry a team and NJG got two rings with him. Peyton could barely play when he started and won his last SB.

So, by your definition we have: Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Burrow, Josh Allen and who else? Lamar? Stafford can't "carry a team" based on his W/L record with DET. Aikman, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, McNair and Stabler never carried their teams. What about Prescott?

I think you need to rethink this.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

There's only 32 of these jobs and anyone who holds any of them is one of the very best in the world at it. Anyone in the top 10 is elite. You seem to be suggesting that if you're not in the top 5, then :getout: but replace them with who, exactly?

So, by your definition we have: Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Burrow, Josh Allen and who else? Lamar? Stafford can't "carry a team" based on his W/L record with DET. Aikman, Bradshaw, Tarkenton, McNair and Stabler never carried their teams. What about Prescott?

Carr has carried the Raiders plenty of times. Of course, by your definition he's elite since he's a top 10 QB.

Lamar is the oddest QB to judge, imo. You can make an argument for him being the best QB in the NFL or being outside the top 10.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Imagine watching Kliff Kingsbury’s Texas Tech teams collapse in the back half year after year and then deciding its Murray’s fault that the same thing happens to him in the NFL

Just lmao

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BiggerBoat posted:

So...85 or 90 percent of starting QBs don't deserve to start? That's ridiculous.

Do Trevor Lawrence or Zach Wilson deserve to start? They haven't shown they can do anything. How about Carson Wentz? He's shown he's at least capable of carrying a team. Bill Belichick knows a lot more about football than you or I and he thinks Mac Jones can start. Justin Herbert "carried his team" to out of the playoffs. Better bench him. Eli Manning never could carry a team and NJG got two rings with him. Peyton could barely play when he started and won his last SB.

I think you need to rethink this.

justin hebert

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Tannehill smells blood in the water...

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1521564974203740160

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I thought this is exactly what he would say. He's still young enough to play for a long time, why would he help someone steal his job? I respect him for his honesty really. If Willis wants the job he can earn it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He is not young enough to continue playing for a long time. You will quote this citing players who are older and good while ignoring tannehill sucks rear end

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

It isn't his job to mentor him. He has a hard enough job barely functioning at quarterback. Why would he add more to his plate?

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Sataere posted:

It isn't his job to mentor him. He has a hard enough job barely functioning at quarterback. Why would he add more to his plate?

There's a great response in that Twitter thread, something to the effect of: "Do you really want Willis learning anything from Tannehill anyway?"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everyone who gets pissy about qbs saying that thing about mentorship should be forced to train somebody at their own job right now, without a change in pay or any incentives or anything

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Cavauro posted:

everyone who gets pissy about qbs saying that thing about mentorship should be forced to train somebody at their own job right now, without a change in pay or any incentives or anything

Better yet, with the incentive of if you do a bad job you'll get poo poo on for not mentoring him and if you do too good a job you'll get fired.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

me and Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg are making it happen. we're calling the company. you better run

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I've trained people before. The problem is I'm too busy to properly train people because I consistently have to work 10 hours of OT to keep up with my job. Added onto the fact the things I might be training that person on get done four times slower than if I just did it myself.

When someone else does the training, I have no problem answering questions to the new guy and helping him learn tricks of the trade to make his job easier.

What I'm saying is maybe let the quarterbacks coach do his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
99% of the time, players will say absolutely nothing controversial and just say the same quips over and over. Literally all you have to do is say "If it makes the team better, I'm all for doing everything I can to win" and after that who cares how you treat him behind closed doors? This always looks bad, and is very much Joe Flacco's "I'm here to compete for the starting job" response when people asked him about mentoring young QBs.

I just don't see why this of all things is the hill QBs are willing to die on.