Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Maybe I'm giving Boruto too much credit since the last couple chapters have been real clever, but If I were a digital consciousness slowly invading my host body I would simply not make my presence known by loudly gloating to everyone and anyone. I can see digital Amado just not telling anyone that he took over Kawaki's body and letting them think Kawaki turned out to be just as bad as they thought he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Anime: RIP Kagura, who surpassed doing a violence; and I think you can count Sarada as Jonin-level now, considering that she is now a wartime field commander. Also RIP Tenma, who managed to get a possible world record time on major character death.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m kind of liking the current anime arc so far (“filler” is a relative term in this particular series as a lot of the anime exclusive content is also important).

Also calling it now, Sarada will be the first Uchiha to become Hokage (assuming she lives through Kawaki’s attack on the village in the future) as she’s already proven to be a capable leader in this arc alone (she seems to be a lot smarter than her predecessors as well)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I think since we're an episode past the death, we're probably okay to talk about it with no spoilers? Kagura's death was weird. Mainly because it looked like a death blow, but the staging of the scene really set it up to be a bait and switch. Because all the main good guy characters were just standing there as it happened and I have yet to see anything from the bad guys to make them seem like a threat to a mix of Genin, Chuunin and Seven Swordsmen. It's not like the Leaf/Mist were powerless or anything, they just stood there and watched him get ganked because that's what the writers wanted. I guess it gives the arc stakes? Just seems weird that random head mook#2 was used to kill him. What happens to Hiramekarei? Does Choujuurou get it back?

Also someone tell Suigetsu to get off his rear end and return back to Kiri to lead the Seven. The group is in desperate need of reform.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm just here for Metal x Hebiichigo

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I still haven't gotten over that episode where they apparently all went to sleep at the same time in enemy territory with three prisoners they didn't really trust at the time and someone got murdered. Kagura was a good guy but it made him a terrible prison warden. I'm also liking the arc, though, for the most part.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Boy, I’m really not liking the way the show is doing things right now. I don’t mind the story beats they’re doing if they’re carried out well. The last few episodes are giving some major things to a villain who has been shown to have zero menace. All the while the main cast are being nerfed due to the whims of the story.

It’s like if Chouji was killed in one of the original Naruto series filler arcs. Like what? This is the quality of story and fighting they go out in?

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 9, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Teek posted:

Boy, I’m really not liking the way the show is doing things right not. I don’t mind the story beats they’re doing if they’re carried out well. The last few episodes are giving some major things to a villain who has been shown to have zero menace. All the while the main cast are being nerfed due to the whims of the story.

It’s like if Chouji was killed in one of the original Naruto series filler arcs. Like what? This is the quality of story and fighting they go out in?

So what's happening then?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm just here for Metal x Hebiichigo
Goondolences

Snake Strawberry was a name too good for this world

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

So what's happening then?

Well, it's taken, what, a dozen episodes for them to remember that Lightning is Super Effective against Water (until it isn't) and they keep getting pushed around by mooks (even with the justification of the ones that are still around being the elite of the elite)

Sindai posted:

Goondolences

Well, at least she doesn't have to worry about that pardon anymore :gbsmith:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sindai posted:

Goondolences

What? No way.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lots of death in that anime arc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-70/chapter/24569?action=read

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Actually quite enjoyed that chapter. Pretty decent tension and pacing. A lot of things moving along.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

Actually quite enjoyed that chapter. Pretty decent tension and pacing. A lot of things moving along.

Same. It seems Boruto and DBS have changed places in quality.

I wonder how Amado will get out of this.

He’s going to die but revive through Kawaki’s karma down the road.

Shikamaru being like “gently caress, more eyehax hits so close to our feelings.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The list...oh no.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I love that Shikamaru's idea almost worked and that whole "fight" was a tense psychological standoff. Still can't believe Code's gang and their ridiculous powers are being used to such good effect but I hope they can keep it up

Also Delta should stick around :3:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm not a huge fan of the cast of characters and have reservations about how this story will play out, but I think this was one of the best and tightest chapters of manga I've read. Hope they can keep up this quality for awhile.

Is Boruto popular? This thread is pretty dead which would be ashame if it stays this good

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the cast of characters and have reservations about how this story will play out, but I think this was one of the best and tightest chapters of manga I've read. Hope they can keep up this quality for awhile.

Is Boruto popular? This thread is pretty dead which would be ashame if it stays this good

It's sitting at third on mangaplus popularity list.

DBS's current chapter's probably taken all attention recently even though this was a really good chapter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It’s just been basically the past …err 5 ? Chapters that have been really good.
The chapters before that were either boring, cringe/uncomfortable or predictable or a combination of those 3.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There was a huge slump after the end of the last arc where Kishimoto set up the new arc with just... lots and lots of exposition that, so far, feels like it could have been reduced and communicated more snappily. There were some fun character moments, and the stuff seeded there is largely paying off, but it took quite a while.

Personally, I'm just happy Shikamaru has gone back to being the character I remember rather than just being a jobber.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Exactly. Ever since poo poo hit the fan Shikamaru has been really cool. From luring Code into a trap to his attempts at negotiation. It’s in character, pretty cool and not more eyehax

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

It's one of those quietly popular things. Besides the remark about where the manga sits on mangaplus' popularity list, it's worth pointing out that the anime is usually pretty high up there on Crunchyroll when sorted by popularity.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm still enjoying the anime more than the manga to be honest (though to be fair that was kind of true for Naruto as well aside from the massive amounts of filler) but I will admit the latter has been getting somewhat better as of late compared to how things started.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

I'm still enjoying the anime more than the manga to be honest (though to be fair that was kind of true for Naruto as well aside from the massive amounts of filler) but I will admit the latter has been getting somewhat better as of late compared to how things started.

Yeah I like the anime a lot more as well. I mainly see the manga as something that gives a plot outline for the anime to flesh out and add a lot of connective tissue to.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I haven't been following the anime but one area I think the manga has really slacked is giving spotlight to the new generations of kids. Where the hell are they? It's kinda felt like ever since the Otsutsuki came back all the kids vanished into the ether.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheHan posted:

I haven't been following the anime but one area I think the manga has really slacked is giving spotlight to the new generations of kids. Where the hell are they? It's kinda felt like ever since the Otsutsuki came back all the kids vanished into the ether.

Watch the anime then, the new generation is used pretty much all the time there and are more properly fleshed out

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah there just aren't enough pages in a monthly manga for a cast that large. The anime has several times the amount of space to fill so it has side arcs for everyone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, objectively speaking the anime is the superior version of the manga’s story and fleshes things out a lot more (it’s also apparently canon since Sumire eventually popped up in the manga as well and Boruto and the others recognized her). Also it sticks a lot closer to Kishimoto’s artstyle

Hell, they even managed to make the Boruto movie somewhat decent when they did their readaption

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm probably not gonna be sitting down to dedicate the time to watch the anime at this point in my life, taking 5 minutes to read a chapter is pretty convenient though. I'm glad it's been improving.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

TheHan posted:

Also Delta should stick around :3:

Her existence is kind of problematic what with the programing her to serve Konoha while leaving her mind intact enough to dislike it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKirbs posted:

Her existence is kind of problematic what with the programing her to serve Konoha while leaving her mind intact enough to dislike it

She’s a robot or whatever.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
That is...a little weird though. I forgot they did that. She clearly has thoughts and feelings comparable to any other person so it feels like Naruto would have qualms about subjugating her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, is Delta actually fully an android or a human with some mechanical parts?

Either way it is kind of weird since she clearly had a mind of her own before this as mentioned and can obviously feel emotions considering she fell victim to Ada’s ability.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

I forget, is Delta actually fully an android or a human with some mechanical parts?

Either way it is kind of weird since she clearly had a mind of her own before this as mentioned and can obviously feel emotions considering she fell victim to Ada’s ability.

She's a full cyborg whose mind gets uploaded into a new body when it gets destroyed

In the anime, Amado destroyed her spare bodies so no one else could use her, and then built a new body for her in Konoha

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Vinylshadow posted:

She's a full cyborg whose mind gets uploaded into a new body when it gets destroyed

In the anime, Amado destroyed her spare bodies so no one else could use her, and then built a new body for her in Konoha

Should note not even her brain is organic. She has drones that can digitally store her consciousness and upload it into new bodies. I can’t really call her human.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

How can we say Delta is a robot without free will when we just saw her betray Konoha for her love?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As I said, clearly she can feel emotions to some degree or otherwise Ada’s ability wouldn’t have worked on her (and she didn’t seem all that subservient back when she was a member of Kara and was constantly throwing attitude at her comrades)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-71/chapter/24708?action=read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's a good chapter, though it feels like the only reason we got the move from Konoha to the lair was so that Code could grab Bug.