Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Madkal posted:

Still wanting to gently caress Trudeau I assume

Buddy,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Furnaceface posted:

Sadly that is 100% going to work when you combine it with their intentionally late singing on to the daycare program and the "back to normal, live with covid" messaging.

I really wish the ONDP had turfed Horwath since her entire campaign always boils down to "Remember that we once existed."

I really wished they got a new leader back in like 2014 or whenever it was that they brought down the government and then had no plan for an election

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:allears:

e. The nebulous goals of truck fuckers 2.0 is a side effect of the present social media landscape poisoning everything it touches in a way that benefits bad faith actors/useful idiots.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 30, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The past several centuries of the history of white people being characterized mostly by oppressive exploitation, racism, sexism and religious fervor is definitely because of Twitter or whatever, yeah.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
So, I don't fully know what's going on with this guy's sign on the right here, but it has the Azov Battalion and a loving sonnenrad on it.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1520399582898892800

But yeah, veterans I guess. Gotta respect the sanctity of the War Memorial.

https://twitter.com/StephanieCarvin/status/1520402555641241603

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

HackensackBackpack posted:

So, I don't fully know what's going on with this guy's sign on the right here, but it has the Azov Battalion and a loving sonnenrad on it.

https://twitter.com/ColtonPraill/status/1520399582898892800

He's listing things that he claims to be against, it's on the same line as the antifascist raised fist and the World Economic Forum, which he also pretty clearly opposes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bleck posted:

The past several centuries of the history of white people being characterized mostly by oppressive exploitation, racism, sexism and religious fervor is definitely because of Twitter or whatever, yeah.

I would have preferred not having the added challenge of "living in a separate reality" plus "wrong side of the historical power dynamic/skin shade charts", tbqh.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Servetus posted:

He's listing things that he claims to be against, it's on the same line as the antifascist raised fist and the World Economic Forum, which he also pretty clearly opposes.

So he's anti-Covid, anti-antifa, antifa, anti-WEF, and pro-Russia. Makes sense to me.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That does line up with what I've seen coming out of some of my crazier relatives

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

That does line up with what I've seen coming out of some of my crazier relatives

Yeah the COVID denialists crazies have really latched on to the "Russia invaded Ukraine to destroy Ukranian biolabs set up by them where COVID really came from" 8chan insanity from what I've seen.

Well the ones who haven't decided that the entire war has been faked by CGI to launder all the secret vaccine deaths. Friend's aunt has been pushing that particular crazy.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

For Love Not Fear, The Light Does Not -baby Yoda

I'm finding it a bit hard to put my faith in the Corridor of Prosperity knowing that it leads to the Ring of Fire but surely dungeon master Doug wouldn't lead us astray to the Ponds of Tailings?

e: out of curiosity I looked up if anyone is planning to build a railway to the Ring of Fire since surely that would be cheaper to transport ore than with trucks and apparently one company has (expensive) plans, but another says it's not worth it, for whatever reason. Also there are some choice quotes in that article about how the roads are vital but also primarily for the benefit of First Nations and there's no reason for concern over environmental issues because it's to boggy to build much up there and there are strong new federal assessment regulations.

e e: Also, it's unfortunate that the name is forever tainted because raptors are cool, but maybe don't name your projects Eagle's Nest just in case?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 30, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Doug Ford campaigned heavily on building the Ring of Fire highway 4 years ago and I can't believe he's doing it again after doing nothing about it in his first term.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Doug Ford campaigned heavily on building the Ring of Fire highway 4 years ago and I can't believe he's doing it again after doing nothing about it in his first term.

He's not a smart man, but he's not too dumb to pick up a winning play from the Liberals

Hell, John Tory has run for mayor on SmartTrack twice and I doubt he has enough shame to keep himself from doing it a third time

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

infernal machines posted:

He's not a smart man, but he's not too dumb to pick up a winning play from the Liberals

Consider; he's not a smart man, and he's doing the same schtick as the Libs because they are, also, not smart.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bleck posted:

Consider; he's not a smart man, and he's doing the same schtick as the Libs because they are, also, not smart.

Sounds like bad news for the other even less successful parties, and also us voters.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Just vote for the party that's gonna fix everything of course

Jeez what are you, dumb?

In other news, ACAB. Wait, that isn't news either, jeez I'm not doing very well at this one bit

quote:

"When the lawyer had the impression that Mr. Dussault did not understand, he offered to come to the station and continue the conversation in person," the SCC states in its ruling. "Mr. Dussault agreed and the police approved the lawyer's visit."

The lawyer told Dussault not to speak to anyone and demanded that police suspend their investigation until he arrived at the station.

"Yet when the lawyer arrived, the police did not allow him to see Mr. Dussault," writes Justice Michael Moldaver in the declaration. "Instead, they told Mr. Dussault the lawyer was not at the station. The police proceeded to interrogate Mr. Dussault. The accused then made an incriminating statement that was later used against him in court."

Dussault went on to plead guilty to the arson charge and underwent a jury trial to determine his guilt on the murder charge.

"At trial, Mr. Dussault asked the judge to exclude the incriminating statement from the evidence," the court states, adding the trial judge disagreed and admitted the statement into evidence.

Dussault was convicted of murder.

His lawyer then appealed to Quebec's Court of Appeal, which found that the police had, in fact, violated Dussault's right.

The Crown then sent the case to the Supreme Court of Canada, which ultimately dismissed the appeal.

"[This] was one of those rare cases in which the police were obligated to provide the accused with a second opportunity to consult counsel," wrote Justice Moldaver.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Neeja is good people and a great doctor, and she's absolutely right with this.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

flakeloaf posted:

Just vote for the party that's gonna fix everything of course

Jeez what are you, dumb?

In other news, ACAB. Wait, that isn't news either, jeez I'm not doing very well at this one bit

Isn't Dussault a former judge himself? More so on somebody gaming the system me thinks

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Albino Squirrel posted:

Neeja is good people and a great doctor, and she's absolutely right with this.

Have you tried simply relaxing and never being sick?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bubbly82111400/status/1519155198593142784

CBC had a video on nurse burnout in Quebec:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgQd8nuKlE4

I gather that the government promised to do something about mandatory overtime, didn't, and nurses had a one-day strike in protest three years ago. But that apparently accomplished nothing since COVID is now a permanent emergency (but also basically over), and the union caved in to a bad deal last year that continued mandatory overtime and gave a whopping 2 percent pay raise (lol that inflation was a mere 3.5 percent at the time).

It sure seems like nearly all of the provinces are responding to COVID by rapidly dismantling their healthcare systems. I wonder if that will backfire on some unforeseeable way.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Another Bill posted:

Liberals ran on universal childcare for like 2 decades.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

Have you tried simply relaxing and never being sick?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bubbly82111400/status/1519155198593142784

Ahh yes, twitter user Bubbly111400, definitely a real person and not a bot that just tweets right-wing talking points replies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I’m set very well for healthcare, it’s because I have money and pay for it. It’s not a moral way to run things, but it’s not factually incorrect. What they want is for people to see my situation as normal instead of a symptom of a hosed system.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can they just make this permanent? Or how about free entirely? Is $1 close enough to free? Is there any chance the Liberals could actually win in this election? I read that Victoria is considering making transit entirely free and think it's a great idea.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/liberals-transit-fares-ontario-election-2022-1.6437982

quote:

The Ontario Liberals say that if they form government after the June 2 election they would make all public transit fares $1 until 2024.

The party says the fare reduction would apply to "every transit system in Ontario," including all municipal services, as well as GO Transit and Ontario Northland.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The only thing that concerns me about making transit free is that governments will most likely open up the systems to corporate branding, more private partnerships, etc. instead of increasing funding.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The only thing that concerns me about making transit free is that governments will most likely open up the systems to corporate branding, more private partnerships, etc. instead of increasing funding.

Like wrapping the bus in an advertisement and dropping you off at the Scotiabank [name of sport] Centre?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Xaranthius posted:

Can they just make this permanent? Or how about free entirely? Is $1 close enough to free? Is there any chance the Liberals could actually win in this election? I read that Victoria is considering making transit entirely free and think it's a great idea.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/liberals-transit-fares-ontario-election-2022-1.6437982

They have no money to do this, this is literally billions of dollars

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

infernal machines posted:

They have no money to do this, this is literally billions of dollars

money isnt real lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dang if only there was a department that cities and provinces could easily slash the budget of without seeing any actual degradation in the services provided. Racking my brain here but I just can't think of a single type of organisation with a massive bloated budget that doesn't deserve it.

Edit: oh I know healthcare! Or maybe addiction services? Family support? Yeah gotta be one of those.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Slotducks posted:

money isnt real lol

Unfortunately, the Government of Ontario doesn't directly control the Canadian dollar.

Transit has actual costs for labour and materiel that people expect to be paid in actual dollars. Right now, those costs are primarily being paid from the fare box (TTC is over 70% fare box recovery). If you cut the fares to $1 that shortfall has to be made up somewhere, or services have to be cut. The province can subsidize the fares, for sure, but they can't just print dollars to do it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 2, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Call me a pessimist but 1$ fares sounds exactly like the kind of promise where they get elected and go “actually we looked at the books and it’s just not possible, the last government hosed up the budget. But we are reducing the fare to 3.20. Promises made promises kept!”

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Or reduce the stop frequency to rival that of the municipal airport in Tuktoyaktuk to keep it ~*fiscally neutral*~

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Slotducks posted:

money isnt real lol

The mmtheorist has arrived.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Old: Buck-a-beer
New: Buck-a-bus

An Ottawa city councillor looked into it, and apparently free transit citywide would increase the average tax bill (q.v.) by something like $1100 a year, which is about a quarter of our annual tax burden, and just shy of the cost of an annual transit pass.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Like wrapping the bus in an advertisement and dropping you off at the Scotiabank [name of sport] Centre?
More like taking a Sobey's Bus to Telus station so you can take the BMO line to HBC station.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DaysBefore posted:

Dang if only there was a department that cities and provinces could easily slash the budget of without seeing any actual degradation in the services provided. Racking my brain here but I just can't think of a single type of organisation with a massive bloated budget that doesn't deserve it.

Edit: oh I know healthcare! Or maybe addiction services? Family support? Yeah gotta be one of those.
I know you're talking about cops, but defunding the police doesn't help balance books. What it's supposed to do is better direct that money to people better at the things the police supposedly deals with, like homeless shelters, social workers, addiction services, etc. That money still gets spent for the purposes it is now, just in a way that helps deal with the problem proactively and humanely. It doesn't suddenly free up money for unrelated expenditures like free transit. The actual solution to that one is increasing taxes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I know you're talking about cops, but defunding the police doesn't help balance books. What it's supposed to do is better direct that money to people better at the things the police supposedly deals with, like homeless shelters, social workers, addiction services, etc. That money still gets spent for the purposes it is now, just in a way that helps deal with the problem proactively and humanely.

Police are almost certainly more expensive than effective social services, though (and also useless or counterproductive).

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It doesn't suddenly free up money for unrelated expenditures like free transit. The actual solution to that one is increasing taxes.

That, and/or stop spending so much money on new roads, and demolish old garbage like the Gardiner.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Every city is inherently bankrupt as long as they keep supporting the giant miserable leeches in suburbia. Rural density with urban services means you will never be in the black, or even close enough to properly fund the programs people need.

"Sorry City Hospital but we need to provide all the mcmansions and their loving cars with sewer systems and paved roads and highways and power (which they refuse to subsidise with higher tax rates by constantly voting for the Tories or Blue Liberals) so you're gonna have to lay off some nurses. By the way we're tearing down three blocks of pre-war mixed-use commercial and residential space for an office tower and a luxury condo. Also gently caress you."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I have no idea how the province could compel a municipality to balance its budgets in a way that a suburb carries its own tax burden, but I'd love to watch the attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Police are almost certainly more expensive than effective social services, though (and also useless or counterproductive).

That, and/or stop spending so much money on new roads, and demolish old garbage like the Gardiner.

Do you remember how the "defund the police" movement went in Toronto?

We had all of three or four councillors (I'm pretty sure it was three) support it, it was of course presented as "somewhat reduce funding to the police" when it came before council, that was rejected and we then found that even "don't increase police funding this year" was a bridge too far. TPS for their part threw a fit, stopped enforcing the highway traffic act pretty much at all, and have continually demanded more officers. Their token attempts at modernization amounted to wanting to spend millions on hokum automated anti-crime technologies that were already disproven before they'd even finished the proposal.

flakeloaf posted:

I have no idea how the province could compel a municipality to balance its budgets in a way that a suburb carries its own tax burden, but I'd love to watch the attempt

The city absolutely will not significantly raise property taxes on single family dwellings, and that's the only tool they have thanks to the way the province controls municipalities. Presumably anyone savvy enough to get elected to form a government in Ontario knows that being the ones to force municipalities to raise taxes on homeowners is electoral poison, and if they do it, they will not be forming a government again. Possibly for quite some time.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 2, 2022