Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Dr. Killjoy posted:

oldie traditionally animated frog, featuring Ben Kingsley

Oh wow, I haven’t thought of this movie in ages. Turns out it has a very good “Fever Dream 90’s Animated Film” poster: yes all of these things are in the movie but there’s no hint at just how insane it is.

Here’s a Twitter thread with some other good “Fever Dream 90’s Animated Film” posters.

https://twitter.com/seraphing/status/1144454430219051008?s=21&t=scWmMP9tCdji3H3fCy6Puw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/erikluers/status/1518318738956816387?s=21&t=sXupMPwYlmAKjX7zUyxXIQ

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

:words::words::words:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

They accidentally but the copy from the back of the VHS box on the one sheet

Oops! All Words!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can see some poor poster designer just annoyed about trying to get that concept across and just put the premise on it to shut someone up.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

She's not even positioned to cover the right side of his body. They don't even bother with the visual metaphor.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I can see some poor poster designer just annoyed about trying to get that concept across and just put the premise on it to shut someone up.

Yep, can easily see it starting off with a great one liner, but there's just one person continually saying, "but will they GET it". A month in for what was meant to be decided in afternoon meeting, no one else cares so everyone just says gently caress it, whatever, just put in all the copy text we have, so we can shut them up and go home and do some coke and forget any of this ever happened.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"The right hand doesn't know what the left hand's doing!

And by that we mean that when Steve Martin jacks off with one hand, the ghost of Lily Tomlin sticks a finger from his other hand way up his butt! Sooooo... does Steve Martin like it?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"Hey what's a good tagline for this movie?"

"They say that.."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

All of Me is a top-tier Mom Movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is pretty common for 80s posters. They give you the entire pitch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh poo poo it's The Female from The Boys?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I love female!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Female
- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not to be confused with Tomalley.
"Famal" redirects here. For the city in Ghana, see Famale, Ghana. For other uses, see Famal (disambiguation).

A Female is a traditional Mesoamerican dish, made of masa, a dough made from nixtamalized corn, which is steamed in a corn husk or banana leaf.[1] The wrapping can either be discarded prior to eating or used as a plate. Females can be filled with meats, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, herbs, chilies, or any preparation according to taste, and both the filling and the cooking liquid may be seasoned.

Female is an anglicized version of the Spanish word femal (plural: females).[2] Famal comes from the Nahuatl famalli.[3] The English "female" is a back-formation of females, with English speakers interpreting the -e- as part of the stem, rather than part of the plural suffix -es.[4]

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Can someone more discerning advise whether this poster is an homage/parody of some famous 70s/80s poster? Surely a movie wouldn't use that typeface and be that ugly if it wasn't a call back to something. Right?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Reminds me a bit of an old Apple print ad with the font, background, and jacket evoking the 80s Apple logo, but it actually being a reference to that seems like a bit of a stretch:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 28, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume it's just meant to look like it was made in 1973?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Looten Plunder posted:

Can someone more discerning advise whether this poster is an homage/parody of some famous 70s/80s poster? Surely a movie wouldn't use that typeface and be that ugly if it wasn't a call back to something. Right?

the font is some variant of Cooper Black or a knockoff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Bruce_Cooper#/media/File:Cooper_Old_Style_sample_image.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Black

idk that that helps, but yea I agree it's a pastiche. Reminds me a bit of the poster for The Sting (1973) (white background, similar typeface)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Not all that dissimilar to an old poster of The Odd Couple. Schlubby guy, well put together guy, font, etc etc.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not all that dissimilar to an old poster of The Odd Couple. Schlubby guy, well put together guy, font, etc etc.

Walter Matthau transforming into a Soulsborne character... that is odd and I won't say any more.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah this is very close. They're definitely going for that style of poster

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's interesting how photography and printing technologies affected movie posters through the decades

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s becoming a kaiju icon that Anne

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/wes_chu/status/1520119941189431296?t=R0wpd4MVe7LsSBWYoPli_A&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
oh hell yeah

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Holy poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hooollleeeefuuuuck

Kung Fu Hustle is deeply important to me on a sentimental level.

Please be good!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Hooollleeeefuuuuck

Kung Fu Hustle is deeply important to me on a sentimental level.

Please be good!

The twitter threads says its fake.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Spazzle posted:

The twitter threads says its fake.

Here's another source.
https://screenrant.com/kung-fu-hustle-2-movie-delay-explained/

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

You don't need a source, it's clearly a fake lovely poster when you open it up, and the guy is just plugging his own stuff. This movies been announced ages ago but there's been no movement for a while.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They tricked all us kids into thinking the marketing was gonna be worth a poo poo and I kept these boxes for a few years. :lol:

They were textured too - rub the nips.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Batman In Robin

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Alternate title: Training Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Great Things Come In Bats