Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Bayer ( Aspirin) was a subsidiary of IG Farben. I hope you stick to Tylenol for your aches and pains.

Completely tangentially, I've just realized that I don't actually have any aspirin. Tylenol is my go-to mild painkiller for most cases, ibuprofen is for hangovers (since it's not as hard on your liver as acetaminophen is).

I feel like ibuprofen usually works better than acetaminophen but I am one of those weird people who can't consciously swallow pills and acetaminophen tastes better than ibuprofen does so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Bayer ( Aspirin) was a subsidiary of IG Farben. I hope you stick to Tylenol for your aches and pains.

I'm sure he only goes to medical facilities that boycott Siemens as well.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

All OTC pain relievers have their serious downsides.

Aspirin, especially the powdered versions you put in water for headaches, are blood thinners. A single dose of full strength aspirin (325mg) is enough to inhibit platelet function for the life span of the platelets (10-12 days). Baby aspirin doses (81mg) less so. I’ve had patients bleed heavily from using the aspirin powder multiple times a day for headaches.

Acetaminophen, can kill a liver if more than 4grams are taken in a 24 hour period. This is easier to do than most people realize, since if they have a bad cold/flu they may take Tylenol from several cough and cold medicine sources on top of the Tylenol their taking for their headache. 4G in 24 hours can absolutely do a person in to the point of liver transplant.

Ibuprofen, yes it’s safer on the liver but it’s extremely easy to totally wreck your kidneys with this stuff. Even with normal doses. It takes “two hits” to the kidneys to do so, though. If a person is dehydrated from a long hike or workout, or a long night of drinking AND takes 200-600mg advil.. that can cause some hefty temporary kidney injury. A lot of people probably experience this and don’t know it. I often see people who’ve been sick for one reason or another, not eating, getting dehydrated, and have been taking ibuprofen 2-3x a day for 5 days or more come in with significant renal failure. The other major downside is stomach bleeding. Ibuprofen taken daily can really eat away at the stomach lining until an ulcer just unroofs and bleeds like mad. This use scenario is often the low back pain crowd undortunately.

Just.. be mindful, take as little as you can tolerate, and stay hydrated. And don’t take aspirin, but do keep it in the house. You never know when some older loved one will suddenly have the symptoms of a heart attack and if it’s legit, plopping a full dose of aspirin in their mouth can make a huge difference.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile my corpsman kept a pharmacy sized giant bottle of 800mg ibuprofen open at his nook along the mess line for people to pilfer as needed

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

All OTC pain relievers have their serious downsides.

Aspirin, especially the powdered versions you put in water for headaches, are blood thinners. A single dose of full strength aspirin (325mg) is enough to inhibit platelet function for the life span of the platelets (10-12 days). Baby aspirin doses (81mg) less so. I’ve had patients bleed heavily from using the aspirin powder multiple times a day for headaches.

Acetaminophen, can kill a liver if more than 4grams are taken in a 24 hour period. This is easier to do than most people realize, since if they have a bad cold/flu they may take Tylenol from several cough and cold medicine sources on top of the Tylenol their taking for their headache. 4G in 24 hours can absolutely do a person in to the point of liver transplant.

Ibuprofen, yes it’s safer on the liver but it’s extremely easy to totally wreck your kidneys with this stuff. Even with normal doses. It takes “two hits” to the kidneys to do so, though. If a person is dehydrated from a long hike or workout, or a long night of drinking AND takes 200-600mg advil.. that can cause some hefty temporary kidney injury. A lot of people probably experience this and don’t know it. I often see people who’ve been sick for one reason or another, not eating, getting dehydrated, and have been taking ibuprofen 2-3x a day for 5 days or more come in with significant renal failure. The other major downside is stomach bleeding. Ibuprofen taken daily can really eat away at the stomach lining until an ulcer just unroofs and bleeds like mad. This use scenario is often the low back pain crowd undortunately.

So in an environment where energy drinks and coffee flow freely, you’re eating more MREs than you’d like, you’re already likely dehydrated from the heat, and you’re getting Motrin thrown at you for whatever ails you…

I got sad and forgot my question after thinking about deployment life :smith:
——-
Is there a running tally of how many colonels or above the Ukrainians have killed? I saw one maybe a week-ish ago, but haven’t seen one since that command tent got evaporated and ~50 more officers died.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

So in an environment where energy drinks and coffee flow freely, you’re eating more MREs than you’d like, you’re already likely dehydrated from the heat, and you’re getting Motrin thrown at you for whatever ails you…

——-
Is there a running tally of how many colonels or above the Ukrainians have killed? I saw one maybe a week-ish ago, but haven’t seen one since that command tent got evaporated and ~50 more officers died.

They didn't evaporate, they were just reduced to easily sortable pieces.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Icon Of Sin posted:

——-

Ukraine's claiming ~10 generals killed so far, only a couple of which have been officially confirmed so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_generals_killed_during_the_2022_invasion_of_Ukraine

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Young, healthier than average people are incredibly resilient and I imagine a lot of people in boot camp or deployment are getting intermittent renal derangements but they don’t ever notice. It’s those people who die 12-24hrs after they complete hellweek on BUD/s that seem tragic to me. You just know they have a) significant renal injury +/- rhabdo, b) probably throw themselves into refeeding syndrome with their first big meal, and c) subsequently have a massive arrhythmia and are found dead in their bunk.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kith posted:

The Boy Scout troop I was in was super hosed up (multiple molestations, heaps of racism and fascism) and made me harshly distrust the entire organization when the only other troop we interacted with turned out to be the same way. I'm glad some of y'all had some decent experiences with the Boy Scouts, but it was very fertile ground for some pretty terrible poo poo and lots of awful people took full advantage of that.

My sons pack has several girls in it and multiple scouts with same sex parents and is religious inclusive, with a single mom leader and a gay man in a same sex marriage as a leader.

It’s pretty progressive although I expect it’s not the norm everywhere. Sorry yours was poo poo, maybe we can help make the scouts more my example then yours?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa that’s cool, sounds like a good experience.

While it’s firmly in the category of speculation I’ve seen it wondered if Jackson’s presence would have mattered more on day one of Gettysburg when the confederates had numbers and if they’d been more aggressive could have meant the US would have been in worse positions on the following days.

Yeah, I think Jackson would have been more aggresive day one, but I'm not exactly sure that would have helped TBH. The confederate army was pretty stretched out during their march and didn't get a chance to assemble until that evening. Would they have been able to take cemetary hill? Maybe, and that would have made a difference. Its a great 'what if'.

Suicide Watch posted:

What do you get out of having your son take part in a pseudo-fascist organization? I ask this as a person who's attained Eagle Scout but has a hard time seeing anyone signing their kids up these days

My son's troop is pretty good. One guy is really conservative, but he has a good heart and teaches the kids a lot of interesting things. The fact that my son has to do stuff for himself (He's 12) and not have the adults do stuff for him is really important. Plus its really good for the kids to get off their phones and be unplugged for a few days. He's learning a lot, even if he doesn't realize it right now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1521094761662271490?s=20&t=9zmqGIFjAUeS3F830zIaQA
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1521094762845061122?s=20&t=9zmqGIFjAUeS3F830zIaQA

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Suicide Watch posted:

What do you get out of having your son take part in a pseudo-fascist organization? I ask this as a person who's attained Eagle Scout but has a hard time seeing anyone signing their kids up these days

Yeah! Im glad someone finally bsaod something!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Murgos posted:

My sons pack has several girls in it and multiple scouts with same sex parents and is religious inclusive, with a single mom leader and a gay man in a same sex marriage as a leader.

It’s pretty progressive although I expect it’s not the norm everywhere. Sorry yours was poo poo, maybe we can help make the scouts more my example then yours?

I'm an Eagle Scout who is 100% in the "gently caress the BSA" camp, so it's good to hear that at least in some places the org has moved past their exclusionary and discriminatory policies.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Take the BSA discussion elsewhere, thanks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was in 2 Troops, one in Georgia for a year and one in Florida until I made Eagle. Both were really good and I have a lot of great memories spending weekends camping and doing stuff most other kids my age never got to do.

I got Eagle Scout 20 years ago and even back then there's nothing I can think of that would lead me to believe there was anything even remotely fascist about my experience. We spent a lot of time camping and doing community service projects, which is more then a lot of other kids the same age can say.

My troop in FL had girls when I was in it, with the Venture Crew which was for slightly older scouts. Today they have full on girl patrols within the regular BSA part of the troop.

Despite being in conservative areas both troops I was in were very progressive and inclusive, my time in Boy Scouts is one of the few parts of growing up in the South that I can look back on fondly and had a huge impact on who I became as an adult.

edit: didn't see that ^

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

Take the BSA discussion elsewhere, thanks.

Aren’t you a loving killjoy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Unlike you pieces of poo poo I got fired my last job in a high rise for refusing to use a Krupp elevator. Also because I let it be known I’d only be drinking Ukrainian vodka on the work site

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1521147854949036032?t=yM3JvjYGAdBg5KyU6hFhFg&s=19

This is a super long but interesting thread

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1521152516800630786

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Unlike you pieces of poo poo I got fired my last job in a high rise for refusing to use a Krupp elevator. Also because I let it be known I’d only be drinking Ukrainian vodka on the work site

Thank you for your service o7

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think that the Consul Putin has earned a triumph, personally

https://twitter.com/PeterMartin_PCM/status/1521161467432738824

Entire Russian army walking around Donbass like the virgin in the chad memes

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If this is casualty averse what the gently caress is an unaverse approach

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Less than Ideal Logistics” is going to be my new company name.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

zoux posted:

Entire Russian army walking around Donbass like the virgin in the chad memes

It sure sounds like these idiots believed their own propaganda about how the Ukrainian army would just rollover and die, and the real Ukrainians would welcome them with open arms. Fighting an enemy that is willing to effectively fight back seems to not have been planned for, and has them spooked now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

Commissars with guns forcing people to run head long against fortified positions with no support?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Stravag posted:

I think this is specifically about their recent push down from Izyum where they are doing massive preparatory fires and then just creeping forward a bit and doing it again.

Which is probably because they got shark bit on their hell for leather approach to the Kyiv offensive.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1521181142883385345?s=20&t=D1FoGQnEpuc9vxbgKDY6LQ

quote:

A background briefing with a senior U.S. defense official about the war in Ukraine concluded a short time ago. It’s Day 68 since Russia’s invasion.

Notable details:
The Pentagon now confirms that Gen. Valery Gerasimov, the top military officer in Russia, visited the Donbas region of Ukraine last week.

However, the Pentagon does NOT confirm that he was injured, as some reports have suggested.
The Pentagon is not in a position to confirm what, if anything, happened to Gerasimov while he was in Ukraine, the official said.

The U.S. official said that it’s “certainly possible” that Gerasimov’s trip was meant to provide a “manner of oversight.”
Why would that be necessary? The Pentagon also assesses today that Russia’s offensive in the Donbas region of Ukraine is “very cautious” and “very tepid.”

“In some cases, quite frankly, the best way to describe it would be anemic,” the senior U.S. defense official said.
Russia has launched a number of offensive operations east and south of Izyum, a mid-sized city in eastern Ukraine that Russia captured late in March.
But the U.S. official described a pattern in which Russia moves into an area in the Donbas region, claims victory, then withdraws.

Then Ukrainian forces often take the areas back, the U.S. official said.
Separately, Ukrainian forces have pushed Russian forces farther away from Kharkiv, in northeastern Ukraine, the senior U.S. defense official said. He described an “able job” by Ukrainian forces over the last day or two.
Elsewhere: The southern port city of Mariupol continues to get hit with airstrikes. Russian forces are now using more “dumb bombs,” meaning they must fly closer to launch, the senior U.S. defense official said.

Russia still holds other areas in the south, including Kherson.
Some number of Russian troops continue to flow out of Mariupol to the northwest, the Pentagon says. The thought is they will eventually join the Donbas campaign.
The Pentagon is NOT confirming that Ukrainian drones have attacked Russian patrol boats, but acknowledges there is video circulating that appears to show that.

“We’ve seen the video, same as you,” the official says.
On weapons transfers: More than 70 of the 90 howitzer artillery the United States promised to Ukraine have now been transferred, the U.S. defense official says. So have about tens of thousands of 155 mm rounds to go in them.
In the last day, the United States delivered 14 planes filled with military aid to the region for transfer to Ukraine, the senior U.S. defense official said. Five other nations combined to deliver 23 more shipments.
No Mi-17 helicopters approved by President Biden in recent aid packages have been delivered. But they are expected to be soon, the senior U.S. defense official said.
Training of Ukrainians on Western systems continues.

Fifty Ukrainian artillerymen are expected to complete a week-long familiarization course today on the American howitzers, bumping the total number to receive the training to about 220, the official said.
Twenty Ukrainian soldiers began receiving training yesterday on how to use the new Phoenix Ghost drone. The unmanned aircraft is a loitering munition that can be flown directly into Russian vehicles or troop formations.
Russian force levels have not fundamentally changed in the last few days.

The Pentagon now assesses there are 93 Russian battalion tactical groups in the fight, the senior defense official said.

The number was 92 last week. Many of those units are not at full strength.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Numerous reports have pro- Russian Chechen fighters are largely acting as 'barricading' forces- set behind Russian lines of advance to forbid and block retreat

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Numerous reports have pro- Russian Chechen fighters are largely acting as 'barricading' forces- set behind Russian lines of advance to forbid and block retreat

:staredog:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

They probably suck at that too

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

Jesus, its like the initial battle scene in Enemy at the Gates, where the Soviet machine gunners shoot down Russian conscripts fleeing the lost battle.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cimber posted:

Jesus, its like the initial battle scene in Enemy at the Gates, where the Soviet machine gunners shoot down Russian conscripts fleeing the lost battle.

Tried rewatching that recently, didn't hold up. The defenders of Stalingrad are so very very English couldn't take it seriously and turned it off after Bob Hoskins' scene was done. Been spoiled by The Americans where when Russian characters talk to each other they do so in Russian and it's hard to go back.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Stravag posted:

edit:

Cimber posted:

For those who might be unaware, this was not just some isolate incident that happened and was included in the movie. This was basically Soviet policy for all of Stalingrad and most of the war. Also, the Soviets executed something like 130,000 of their own troops and I'm not even sure if that number includes troops that were shot while 'retreating' or not. Something as innocuous as having a wound deemed suspicious because it might have been benign enough to have been self-inflected was enough to get you executed by your own side.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 2, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Same maxim gun too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Tried rewatching that recently, didn't hold up. The defenders of Stalingrad are so very very English couldn't take it seriously and turned it off after Bob Hoskins' scene was done. Been spoiled by The Americans where when Russian characters talk to each other they do so in Russian and it's hard to go back.

Better not watch Death Of Stalin then, Jeremy Isaacs will have you on your knees in no time. ;)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I prefer my Russian characters speaking Ukranian as is American cinema tradition

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Murgos posted:

Same maxim gun too.

:drat:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bout soup time isn’t it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just Another Lurker posted:

Better not watch Death Of Stalin then, Jeremy Isaacs will have you on your knees in no time. ;)

What's a war hero gotta do to get some lubrication around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Barricade forces had been used in very limited extent before Order 127 "Not One Step Back", mostly with Penal Units. With 127, it expanded to the general forces. If I remember correctly.

EatG is a terrible movie. But I love it. Just like Windtalkers. Terrible loving movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on because John Woo and Banzai charges. I hate Enemy because it created pop culture mythology for Stalingrad where none was needed. A B story of Pavlov's Apartment type situation could have added to the story with some truth.

I'm not surprised to see Chechen used as barricades; there have been a few ethnic based interactions between the Chechens blockade forces and other Ethnic groups that they (Chechens) are killing Russian and taking spoils earned by fighters.