Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jeff Grubb he has a blue check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think parodying TV tropes and genres was a great concept, especially in the 90s.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Jeff Grubb he has a blue check

oooh the grubhub guy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mutata posted:

I think parodying TV tropes and genres was a great concept, especially in the 90s.

In 2022, Gex uses TV Tropes the site

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Square selling off companies that they constantly threw under the bus, is a good thing. What sucks is the Square-Enix announcement that went along with the sale, that they are going to get into blockchain / NFT for their current and future games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never got the whole "thing" with Gex.

He is a depressed gecko who uses escapism through excessive tv watching to cope with the trauma of his father dying in the Challenger explosion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FirstAidKite posted:

He is a depressed gecko who uses escapism through excessive tv watchin

Finally, a hero I can relate to

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New Jacob Geller video was made for me

VG's not allowed to watch yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzSHVS-CT0

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
nintendo should buy squarenix and give us SMRPG2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like the Mario & Luigi RPGs/Paper Marios better than SMRPG idk

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deus Gex

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

No

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watch NFTs be implemented into Final Fantasy XIV, destroying any and all good will that MMORPG built up.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Help Im Alive posted:

I like the Mario & Luigi RPGs/Paper Marios better than SMRPG idk

Yeah I first played SMRPG when it was added to the Wii VC and it seemed like the worst of the the Mario RPG games, at least at the time

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

they would have to rescind miyamoto's policy of "every character in a side game must be a toad"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

Yeah I first played SMRPG when it was added to the Wii VC and it seemed like the worst of the the Mario RPG games, at least at the time

It was entirely novel for its time both presentationally and gameplay-wise, so a lot of people have a soft spot for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Metal Gear Rising is the best in the series and the only good game Platinum has ever made

That guy's voice in that youtube video is very annoying to me so I didn't watch it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
"I'm into Mario Role Play" is a pretty versatile sentence when you think about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Watch NFTs be implemented into Final Fantasy XIV, destroying any and all good will that MMORPG built up.

They've been at least pretty explicit that not only will they not do that, XIV's code base is so hosed up, they probably couldn't if they wanted to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you're wanting to see why people love Gex so much, the original game is available on GoG https://www.gog.com/game/gex

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

They've been at least pretty explicit that not only will they not do that, XIV's code base is so hosed up, they probably couldn't if they wanted to.

Okay good, glad I was wrong about that. XIV is one of the few good things that Square still has left.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Buy the rainbow Cactuar NFT to summon it for battle in FFXVI, in stores now!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Okay good, glad I was wrong about that. XIV is one of the few good things that Square still has left.

Square knows firsthand how powerful word of mouth is for XIV, so yeah, preserving that community goodwill is a priority

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't think square knows anything

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i bet gabe newell is chuckling softly to himself as all this nft drama unfolds while sitting on a golden throne built by decades of passively raking in profit from tf2 hats and csgo skins. valve figured all this out years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Metal Gear Rising is the best in the series and the only good game Platinum has ever made

The Bayonettas and Vanquish are real good too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I posted about it in the PS5 thread, but my guess is that mainline games in Square Enix's flagship franchises (like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest) are probably going to be relatively safe from blockchain nonsense for the time being. It's much more likely to find its way into mobile games. FF and DQ are sorta "prestige" brands for SE and they rely on the value and goodwill those brands have to make a ton of money elsewhere, like the various FF and DQ gacha games that wouldn't be nearly as successful if it weren't for how much affection people have for those franchises.

It's similar to the reason Sony's first-party AA single-player games, like the Horizon games and God of War, are relatively free of microtransaction nonsense. That's not their job. They exist to build up Sony as a brand, make the PlayStation ecosystem look good, and get people to buy in, where Sony can make money from them in a bunch of other ways. Mainline Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games, for Square Enix, are kinda like that, just for brands and not a platform.

It's possible the NFT game concept is dead in the water anyway, but on the off chance SE actually releases a blockchain game and doesn't just quietly cancel all plans at some point, it's almost certainly going to be a mobile game that looks a lot like a standard gacha game, just with "play to earn" nonsense stapled on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

astral chain ftw

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

haveblue posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i bet gabe newell is chuckling softly to himself as all this nft drama unfolds while sitting on a golden throne built by decades of passively raking in profit from tf2 hats and csgo skins. valve figured all this out years ago.

Do I really want a Half-Life 3, or do I just think I want a Half-Life 3, and such a sequel would likely not live up to mine or anyone else's expectations?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can already play half-life 3 if you have a VR headset

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yo Yosuke hook me up with some of those Cloud and Tifa NFT's brah. :rock:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I said come in! posted:

yoship is pretty clearly anti-NFT but in a couple of his town halls he had to dance around things a bit because its apparent that his bosses are still pushing him to find a way

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

yoship is pretty clearly anti-NFT but in a couple of his town halls he had to dance around things a bit because its apparent that his bosses are still pushing him to find a way

It's not clear if they're insisting or not, but, at the very least, he has to be diplomatic about whatever horseshit nonsense his boss is saying, even if he's on the board of directors.

Kale
May 14, 2010

But seriously I've been figuring that Square Enix has been looking to get bought out specifically by Sony for a while now. If they do sell the whole drat thing my money is absolutely on that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There has been rumors that Sony wants to buy Square-Enix for awhile now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If they keep putting games on PC at launch I don't really care who buys them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

If they keep putting games on PC at launch I don't really care who buys them