Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

spookykid posted:

With like 4-6 lumpia.

Half my old workforce was Filipino and going to family parties with them I swear has taken 7-10 years off my life.

Enjoying good food is worth losing the last 10 or so over, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

spookykid posted:

With like 30-50 lumpia.

Surely?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Robobot posted:

Enjoying good food is worth losing the last 10 or so over, in my opinion.

You're losing them from the middle though. People say this about a lot of vices, but its not like being a heavy smoker or an uncontrolled diabetic changes a date in the Reaper's day-planner. You just become unhealthy earlier in life.

Live your life how you want, just accept that you're going to spend the same amount of time at the nursing home unless you take up cliff-jumping or something.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
You calling pancit a vice?! Thems fightin words.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Robobot posted:

You calling pancit a vice?! Thems fightin words.

Not really. For all I know, its the healthiest thing in the world. I just see that justification too often.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cat Hatter posted:

Not really. For all I know, its the healthiest thing in the world. I just see that justification too often.

Aren't you just a bundle of joy

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

Well there’s vegetables and stuff in it, so it is healthy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
To be fairrrrr Filipinos score lowest in terms of health compared to other Asian countries.

I blame Spain's influence. And thier propensity to fry a lot of stuff with little in terms of vegetables.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

iwentdoodie posted:

Aren't you just a bundle of joy

Do whatever you want, just don't brag about how you lie to yourself about it.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

To be fairrrrr Filipinos score lowest in terms of health compared to other Asian countries.

I blame Spain's influence. And thier propensity to fry a lot of stuff with little in terms of vegetables.

The Philippines was colonized by both Spain and America. Haha, sure, the unhealthy food must have come from Spain, I can't imagine any other influences that could have led to that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/GB7pgXg.mp4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

:lol: the wife's reaction is fantastic. I love how it takes her a second to process everything and you can see her expression go from 'my baby!!' to 'nice catch!'

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

You're losing them from the middle though. People say this about a lot of vices, but its not like being a heavy smoker or an uncontrolled diabetic changes a date in the Reaper's day-planner. You just become unhealthy earlier in life.

Live your life how you want, just accept that you're going to spend the same amount of time at the nursing home unless you take up cliff-jumping or something.

Not necessarily. Plenty of ‘bad habits’ impact you in the form of a sudden and massive heart attack or other acute issue. Even something like lung cancer is acute compared to the general decline in health you’re talking about.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jakabite posted:

Not necessarily. Plenty of ‘bad habits’ impact you in the form of a sudden and massive heart attack or other acute issue. Even something like lung cancer is acute compared to the general decline in health you’re talking about.

That's usually not the only health problem you get though. Even if your vice is jumping a motorcycle over the Grand Canyon you might die suddenly, but you might end up in a wheelchair in chronic pain.

I don't know why people can't just say "I might regret this later, but it's worth it"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The dad genes have been activated.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

That's usually not the only health problem you get though. Even if your vice is jumping a motorcycle over the Grand Canyon you might die suddenly, but you might end up in a wheelchair in chronic pain.

I don't know why people can't just say "I might regret this later, but it's worth it"

They’re both flippant remarks conveying the same thing. “You lose the ones at the end” is not meant to be taken literally. At least I’ve never meant it to be.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cat Hatter posted:

Sounds like that's exactly what he said.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Robobot posted:

They’re both flippant remarks conveying the same thing. “You lose the ones at the end” is not meant to be taken literally. At least I’ve never meant it to be.

I'm sure most people don't use it literally. But it used to just be that friend-of-a-friend you aren't surprised died in their 30s that would mean it and it annoys me because it feels like its reaching that joke/serious tipping point flat-earthers and jet fuel vs steel beams people already crossed. This is probably also region specific.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yeah, my college friend having a serious mid thirties heart attack after we joked every time he had a double bacon cheeseburger with mayo and bbq sauce wasn't as funny as we maybe expected

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I am very sorry I started this derail, can we go back to talking about how good lumpia and pancit are when eaten in moderation?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

spookykid posted:

I am very sorry I started this derail, can we go back to talking about how good lumpia and pancit are when eaten in moderation?

Only if you can properly describe to me how delicious they are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want something that makes you lose the years at the start, cos I wasn't using them for anything anyway, so if I could just be dead for a while retroactively and swap the time later in life that would probably be an improvement.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Cat Hatter posted:

Only if you can properly describe to me how delicious they are.

Lumpia: think of the crunchiest most flavorful eggroll you've ever gotten from an americanized chinese place, then make it 1/4 to 1/3 the diameter so all of everything gets cooked at the same time in hot oil, no sogginess and the outer wrap becomes like a fresh-fried Mexican tortilla chip.

Pancit: think of really good americanized chow mein, but add more garlic, more cabbage, and a add a Filipino take on chorizo or slow-marinade chicken.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The size of lumpia is perfect for just machine gunning them into your face. Luckily you usually get a big pile of them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lumpia is a pain to make at home, but pancit is pretty easy. The right noodles, calamansi juice, and msg are crucial imo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Lumpia is like tamales & empanadas where you just dedicate a day making a gigantic batch, then freeze stuff that isn't being immediately used.

I also learned to cook lumpia in an air fryer, you want to lightly brush the outside with oil.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Lumpia is like tamales & empanadas where you just dedicate a day making a gigantic batch, then freeze stuff that isn't being immediately used.

I also learned to cook lumpia in an air fryer, you want to lightly brush the outside with oil.

Ive never had them but man I love freezing eggrolls for a snack.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ive never had them but man I love freezing eggrolls for a snack.

If you know someone with a Costco membership, you can often get a huge batch of the pre-frozen lumpia in their freezer section. Air-fryering them as mentioned above provides a delicious but decidedly unhealthy snack.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Lumpia is a pain to make at home, but pancit is pretty easy. The right noodles, calamansi juice, and msg are crucial imo.

After looking up Lumpia, this is pretty much what the standard "egg roll" style appetizer in Asian restaurants in Australia is, usually called a spring roll.

Thin pastry, combination of vegetables and meat (pork, chicken, prawn are common), deep fried. Egg rolls are unknown here although I did have them when I visited the US and have to agree a good egg roll is a delicious thing.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Helluva way to find out my nickname from school is also a delicious (but unhealthy) snack

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I feel there needs to be a distinction made here. The crispy mana from heaven is called lumpia(ng) shanghai. If some motherfucker offers you lunpia(ng) sariwa, strike them down where they stand.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

tribbledirigible posted:

I feel there needs to be a distinction made here. The crispy mana from heaven is called lumpia(ng) shanghai. If some motherfucker offers you lunpia(ng) sariwa, strike them down where they stand.

I like lumpia sariwa, but I do make it a point to verify which version a restaurant has before ordering. Luckily 9/10 times it's lumpia shanghai as it's the more popular one.

Mods please change the thread title to You have to ASK for lumpia sariwa

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lumpia is stored in the balls

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you feel lumpia in your balls immediately consult a physician, as it may be a sign of testicular cancer.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/FreerideWTour/status/1317805126141104130

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snowy posted:

The size of lumpia is perfect for just machine gunning them into your face. Luckily you usually get a big pile of them.

Eat like killer whale

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DandyLion posted:

Helluva way to find out my nickname from school is also a delicious (but unhealthy) snack

I had the nickname "breadstick" in high school because they were the only good food the cafeteria could produce and so they were all I bought. It's possible they were only good thanks to the free cheese or marinara dip each one came with.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Desert Bus posted:

I had the nickname "breadstick" in high school because they were the only good food the cafeteria could produce and so they were all I bought. It's possible they were only good thanks to the free cheese or marinara dip each one came with.

I know the exact breadsticks you're talking about

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's not impressive, I tried using a tow rope to go up the bunny slope and did basically the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

This reminds me of Bernie Lomax "waterskiing" for some reason.