Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Again, tweet skipper check.
The Ukrainian government official above is literally namedropping, nay, explaining Starcraft terminology, to describe a potential thing in the actual war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So the "Z" stands for Zerg.. interesting..

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah yeah. 10,000 Russian soldiers rolling with PPSHs into izyum. Good poo poo all around glad history doesn't repeat itself continuously

I saw a photo taken of a Ukranian Territorial Defense unit undergoing training and, aside from the one guy wielding a FN-FAL without a magazine, the most notable thing about it was the Model 1921 Thompson sub-machine gun with drum magazine.

Guy wasn't issued the standard-issue trench coat and fedora though.

Time is a circle orbiting a pile of poo poo destroyed tanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
More on the patrol boats that Ukraine sunk

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1521162894125289472?s=20&t=jiuoQ5PC6kapffznZw05gw

Losing the Moskva has really impacted Russia's ability to defend the sea from air attacks.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

raifield posted:

I saw a photo taken of a Ukranian Territorial Defense unit undergoing training and, aside from the one guy wielding a FN-FAL without a magazine, the most notable thing about it was the Model 1921 Thompson sub-machine gun with drum magazine.

I never thought I'd eat crow complaining as I did as a child over how silly all these 80's action flicks were to represent future warfare with leftover-scavenged 60's and 70's era military tech instead of you know, future tech....

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
WRT to Russian mobilization, why is it always considered in the context of "Enemy at The Gates" two men for one gun style assault? It seems more likely a full mobilization would allow the following to happen

1) Strip other theaters of trained soldiers and backfill the posts with conscripts, while a skeleton crew is ordered to train (babysits) the recruits. Wooden guns and inflatable tanks and all that.

2) Replace police/guard units with conscripts. Sure, the conscripts will be untrained and violent to any occupied population but that seems like a feature, not a bug for Russian strategists.

3) Change tactics to a static front along the East. An untrained conscript is competent enough to dig a trench and man it. Ukrainian armor and artillery is not massed enough that would allow a broad offensive to defeat this, while Russia's remaining air and armor can strike at massed Ukrainians. It counters Ukraine's light mobile tactics.

I'm shimmying around the fact that this stance will not win the War for Russia but it at least delays its defeat. I can't see any move that wins this for them, but they can definitely sandbag for long enough to have Putin die of natural causes and the resultant mess be left to the Russian people. The only reason I can see this not already being put into action is that no general wants to be the first to suggest it.

Note: I'm incompetent as hell when it comes to military tactics, I just bring this up because mobilization is the only card I see Russia having left. But it isn't a winning card.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

raifield posted:

Speaking of guns, has Biden considered confiscating guns from the chuds, to send them to Ukraine? Surely every :patriot: gun owner would be happy to have them used for shooting russian invaders.

CommieGIR posted:

More on the patrol boats that Ukraine sunk

https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1521162894125289472?s=20&t=jiuoQ5PC6kapffznZw05gw

Losing the Moskva has really impacted Russia's ability to defend the sea from air attacks.
Yeah as far as I know it was their only ship with long range AA? So it's gonna be an open season on this shitbuckets.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

That's one pissed off looking cat.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Donkringel posted:

WRT to Russian mobilization, why is it always considered in the context of "Enemy at The Gates" two men for one gun style assault? It seems more likely a full mobilization would allow the following to happen

1) Strip other theaters of trained soldiers and backfill the posts with conscripts, while a skeleton crew is ordered to train (babysits) the recruits. Wooden guns and inflatable tanks and all that.

2) Replace police/guard units with conscripts. Sure, the conscripts will be untrained and violent to any occupied population but that seems like a feature, not a bug for Russian strategists.

3) Change tactics to a static front along the East. An untrained conscript is competent enough to dig a trench and man it. Ukrainian armor and artillery is not massed enough that would allow a broad offensive to defeat this, while Russia's remaining air and armor can strike at massed Ukrainians. It counters Ukraine's light mobile tactics.

I'm shimmying around the fact that this stance will not win the War for Russia but it at least delays its defeat. I can't see any move that wins this for them, but they can definitely sandbag for long enough to have Putin die of natural causes and the resultant mess be left to the Russian people. The only reason I can see this not already being put into action is that no general wants to be the first to suggest it.

Note: I'm incompetent as hell when it comes to military tactics, I just bring this up because mobilization is the only card I see Russia having left. But it isn't a winning card.

1. They've already done this, to the point that the soldiers who would normally be fighting fires in Siberia are gone and said fires are currently raging mostly unhindered

2. Some cop units have already been pulled to the front, but cops aren't always good soldiers. And conscripts won't have the years of experience in brutalizing the populace that make cops/rosgavardia so effective for the Kremlin's needs. They may have inhibitions you see.

3. Ukraine doesn't have enough artillery *yet*. MIC go brrrr so more and more equipment is heading into Ukraine every day, and Russia has demonstrated that they have little to no ability to stop the flow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1521157250580054022?s=21&t=nkJbPzkdERO0lN1UP2n23w

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

1. They've already done this, to the point that the soldiers who would normally be fighting fires in Siberia are gone and said fires are currently raging mostly unhindered

2. Some cop units have already been pulled to the front, but cops aren't always good soldiers. And conscripts won't have the years of experience in brutalizing the populace that make cops/rosgavardia so effective for the Kremlin's needs. They may have inhibitions you see.

3. Ukraine doesn't have enough artillery *yet*. MIC go brrrr so more and more equipment is heading into Ukraine every day, and Russia has demonstrated that they have little to no ability to stop the flow.

Conscripts might also be prone to various flavors of bribery. Moreso than the average MP, anyway. I can't think of a better mark for "Here's $100, you saw no ACME TNT crates in this truck/warehouse/being carried by my buddies" than someone who was drafted against his will and given the bare minimum of equipment and training.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

loving lmao called it lads.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Probably taking the long way around, a shame there isn't a Russian Navy asset to protect them out in the open ocean :thunk:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Young Freud posted:

A bit of some weird trivia that came to my brain today: I had never heard of the MT-LB until this year, despite it being in service since the 1950s. It hadn't largely been mentioned in most Western military publications, thought largely outdated by the acceptance of the BMPs and BTRs in the '60s and '70s.

But Russia seems to rely heavily on the unit for this conflict. Guessing they built a bunch of them for a potential Eurotheatre armored conflict in the '50s and '60s, got replaced, then got mothballed for half a century before getting taken out for this war.

Just a weird thought.

The MTLB and M113 are very similar in their roles- both Were produced in such insane amounts that once their viability as APC started to wane they Were the go-to tracked, ”armored” (Angry man and a hatchet counts as anti-tank when talking about mtlb) platform to mount whatever you wanted to self-propel: mortars, recoilless rifles, ATGM, AAA, death rays, radar dishes, kebab stands, stretchers, radio antennas, you name it, MTLB and m113 have a variant that do it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Russia keeps killing the danish vikings, but they keep making more interviews after death :v:
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLtSUuEC/
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMLtSVNPK/

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Probably taking the long way around, a shame there isn't a Russian Navy asset to protect them out in the open ocean :thunk:
:actually:
Well that’s not quite true, it’s still in the ocean, just at the bottom.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:actually:
Well that’s not quite true, it’s still in the ocean, just at the bottom.

The one place that Ukraine will never look

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm not sure how much of all this infrastructure going up in flames is sabotage, but the Siberian fires definitely shows the consequences of Russia going all in on Ukraine. Russia has very real security demands that consume a little bit of effort from their military all over the place: both the sexy stuff like stopping Japan from stealing the Kurils and firefighting involve the military. Full mobilization will make this even worse since those conscripts won't appear ex nihilo. They're usually involved in some other economic task and they're usually the most productive segment of the population. Russia won't have someone bankrolling them like Ukraine does with the West, and they won't have the equipment or leadership to efficiently utilize that extra manpower, but they will start falling apart internally the more they commit to Ukraine.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I seriously cannot comprehend what the goal of a Transnistria operation would be If they just wanted to open a new front they could invade in the NW again. Seems like dropping troops in with no hope of resupply will only serve to escalate.

I've seen the Russian military in transisteria first hand, they had BMPs, didn't see a tank. Is there even an air wing there?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

its also Russia doesn't have an unlimited supply to keep churning out armor/aircraft, guided/smart bombs. they were only able to do that because they got lend lease from the US when the Nazis invaded, they dont have that now, worse they have been mostly cut off and under super sanctions and ukraine is getting super lend lease on steiroids.

yeah, the moldova front is gonna be a shitshow. my guess is the ukrainians will use that theater to test western weapons and new air power.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Morrow posted:

I'm not sure how much of all this infrastructure going up in flames is sabotage, but the Siberian fires definitely shows the consequences of Russia going all in on Ukraine. Russia has very real security demands that consume a little bit of effort from their military all over the place: both the sexy stuff like stopping Japan from stealing the Kurils and firefighting involve the military. Full mobilization will make this even worse since those conscripts won't appear ex nihilo. They're usually involved in some other economic task and they're usually the most productive segment of the population. Russia won't have someone bankrolling them like Ukraine does with the West, and they won't have the equipment or leadership to efficiently utilize that extra manpower, but they will start falling apart internally the more they commit to Ukraine.

The stuff going up more than 300km from Ukraine probably isn't sabotage. Might be a result of full mobilization of the MCHS.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommieGIR posted:

There is no long way around. Transnistria lies inland behind Odesa oblast. To fly there, you have to either a) fly across Ukraine or b) fly across Romania and Moldova.

Furthermore, Transnistria is a really narrow strip of territory - it's name means "The land across Dniester" and it really is just the river banks, at thickest only 15-20 kilometers from Ukrainian border to Moldovan border. Ukrainian AA systems and even artillery guns can easily reach all of Transnistrian air strips.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

There is no long way around. Transnistria lies inland behind Odesa oblast. To fly there, you have to either a) fly across Ukraine or b) fly across Romania and Moldova.

Furthermore, Transnistria is a really narrow strip of territory - it's name means "The land across Dniester" and it really is just the river banks, at thickest only 15-20 kilometers from Ukrainian border to Moldovan border. Ukrainian AA systems and even artillery guns can easily reach all of Transnistrian air strips.

So they really cannot avoid an overflight of territory likely swarming with new AA systems and/or aircraft.

This is gonna be hilariously sad if Russia tries this.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nenonen posted:

Well thats just it you see, the closer they are to danger, the farther they are from harm!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Let's pretend you're Putin and somehow don't have a completely blinkered view of the situation.

What's even your best bet at this point?

Shifting to consolidation/defensive mode before your offensive peters out and (earnestly) engaging in negotiations while you still have some territorial gains to bargain with? Hoping you can somehow eke out enough concessions that if you squint really hard you can still sell it as fulfilling your (revised) war aims?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nenonen posted:

so what the gently caress is the point of pushing into Moldova and or western ukraine from there then? they don't the men to do either, much less both.

PerilPastry posted:

Let's pretend you're Putin and somehow don't have a completely blinkered view of the situation.

Shifting to consolidation/defensive mode before your offensive peters out and (earnestly) engaging in negotiations while you still have some territorial gains to bargain with? Hoping you can somehow eke out enough concessions that if you squint really hard you can still sell it as fulfilling your (revised) war aims?

id probably try to hold what i have, maybe try to gently caress up a big city or two and then call for peace talks.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

PerilPastry posted:

Try to win one more victory in the east than hold the line. Offer Zelensky a good peace deal and hope he accepts it, causing domestic unrest if it does not include retaking of Crimea and DNR/LNR. Then intervene in the resulting civil conflict.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is it possible for a fighter plane to intercept IL-76?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

CommieGIR posted:

So they really cannot avoid an overflight of territory likely swarming with new AA systems and/or aircraft.

This is gonna be hilariously sad if Russia tries this.

"The VDV, dropping out of the sky over Land, Air, and Sea"

How are there any willing VDV troops left after the initial phase of this war?

They have to be the most Overrated "Special" Forces in history for their success rate so far

Ukraine: "you are without a doubt the worst special forces we have ever heard of"

VDV: "But you have heard of u- "

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

It's a big, heavy, slow transport plane. A Sopwith Camel could intercept it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Newest excuse why Germany can't do everything in it's power to support Ukraine according to Scholz (after "weapons will only increase blood toll" "we don't have weapons" "they can't use our high tech weapons" and "I'm afraid of WW3"): They didn't want to meet with the German head of state, who is a long time Putin/Russia lover.

https://twitter.com/andikynast/status/1521173294107721729

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what the gently caress is the point of pushing into Moldova and or western ukraine from there then? they don't the men to do either, much less both.

Honestly, the only thing I can come up with is it's a psyop to keep Ukrainian AA tied up in the West.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just to clarify, the planned Transnistria front is (most likely) directed towards Ukraine and not Moldova, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

They have to be the most Overrated "Special" Forces in history for their success rate so far

Ukraine: "you are without a doubt the worst special forces we have ever heard of"

VDV:....but we practiced gun-fu so hard :eng99:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

not many left now apparently. like a ton of them are hosed up or dead. i am sure they can put some putin youths in a plane and send them off.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

It's basically a Russian C-117 right? If so absolutely.

It will *probably* have escorts though, although the VDV seem to have a thing for glorious flaming wreckage deaths

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I'm glad HoI is exactly accurate about the utility of paratroopers

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

I'm glad HoI is exactly accurate about the utility of paratroopers

I mean paratroopers can be great if you have the air power/ artillery to support them. Left to their own devices it's a light unit with little heavy firepower getting chumped behind enemy lines.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PIPE CHAT
Is this the major RU to EU pipeline?

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1521179213952339972?s=20&t=-iZdb2ioEwkze758gheNAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

FishBulbia posted:

Try to win one more victory in the east than hold the line. Offer Zelensky a good peace deal and hope he accepts it, causing domestic unrest if it does not include retaking of Crimea and DNR/LNR. Then intervene in the resulting civil conflict.

Intervening after the fact sounds pretty tough. Firstly because the Russian military isn't in any position to do much of anything, and secondly because the moment there's no chance of direct contact, Ukraine is going to be packed with NATO and UN people, so marching into it is going to be extremely hairy.