Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sir Tonk posted:

it holds 1/6th of the population of the town, lots of potential there.

Liquor license, liquor license!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

how far are we from all public schools outright banning phones, or do they already do that and kids just don't care?

Parents would be first to protest since it cuts off access to their children, and then you would have other safety concerns on top of it. It will never happen, despite near unianimous support among educators.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

DuckHuntDog posted:

Parents would be first to protest since it cuts off access to their children, and then you would have other safety concerns on top of it. It will never happen, despite near unianimous support among educators.

So what do these parents think would actually happen?

They all grew up without phones in their classrooms. Everyone over 30 did. It was fine

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the world is so much more dangerous than when I was in school. i need to be in contact with reighgynne 24/7 or else she'll be kidnapped

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend's daughter just turned six so i reminisced on some things i did at that age, like walk down the street to knock on my friend's door to play, or gather up the neighborhood kids to build a fort in the woods, then remember to get home by sundown for dinner. my friend said his daughter has never been out of eyesight while outside, and they're in a gated neighborhood

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Places that have banned phones in schools have gotten some minor parental pushback but it's mostly that enforcement is a pain in the rear end and taking away a kids $800 smart phone is a different prospect than taking away their $1 slingshot even a $100 mp3 player or walkman.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

i say swears online posted:

my friend's daughter just turned six so i reminisced on some things i did at that age, like walk down the street to knock on my friend's door to play, or gather up the neighborhood kids to build a fort in the woods, then remember to get home by sundown for dinner. my friend said his daughter has never been out of eyesight while outside, and they're in a gated neighborhood

I think some of this is because of neighborhood makeup in some suburban areas. For example, growing up in south louisiana in the 90's, all the fences between houses (if any at all) were chain link fences and you'd usually chit chat with neighbors across fences. Everyone on the street knew each other personally. I knew if something bad happened, I could knock on literally anyone's door and get help. Now living in a texas suburb, everyone has 8 foot fences and no one knows anyone nor do they want to know anyone on the street. I doubt anyone would give a poo poo even if they saw some kid get snatched up in a white van right in front of their house. It was pretty jarring to see these huge suburban neighborhoods and yet see literally no one outside ever.

Honestly, would you trust your neighbors to tell you something if they saw something bad happen?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's an interesting point; that neighborhood was in a kinda poor area off anderson mill and nobody had fences at all so everything was really visible. when we moved to leander when i was 6-7, they were all new builds with giant fences that are ubiquitous today. after that i'd have to walk a quarter mile to my new friend's house, but i'd still hop the fence if he was in his back yard

off anderson mill, i can STILL name four direct neighbors. at my last three living locations from 2016-present i can name zero

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1521133205117673472

Jesus Christ that is hosed

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1521133209525891073

I'd just like, desert.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I flew off my bike in my neighborhood when I was fifteen and all of my neighbors just minded their own business as I limped to my house with a bloody face and shirt, Texas suburbs are just built different I guess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What'll be fun are the legislative emergency hearings about it where they all pretend like they had no idea and yell at some junior staffer from the office of the Governor while nothing changes.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

zoux posted:

Places that have banned phones in schools have gotten some minor parental pushback but it's mostly that enforcement is a pain in the rear end and taking away a kids $800 smart phone is a different prospect than taking away their $1 slingshot even a $100 mp3 player or walkman.

Taking away phones ends up pretty funny sometimes though. Some places will only return the phone to the parents if it gets taken away, and a lot of kids have secret phones they use for their real social media accounts

I subbed for a couple months between jobs and the haunted look of a kid who has to go through the school day knowing he is hosed when he gets home made an otherwise lovely gig worth it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i assume the "secret phones" are just for home wifi? can't imagine them hiding a verizon bill in the mail

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One for the plug and one for the load, I believe.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We went to Eeyore’s birthday this past weekend and amongst the crowd were children just running around and other pre teens hanging out. Part of me was like hell yea but Jesus Christ I can’t imagine letting your kid free during that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah that always weirded me out. the kid friendly stuff in the flat areas and the drum circles in the hills

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

i assume the "secret phones" are just for home wifi? can't imagine them hiding a verizon bill in the mail

School wifi as well. It is usually an older phone they bought off someone.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DuckHuntDog posted:

School wifi

i guess it would be hard to keep the password secret from 2000 high schoolers but this still seems like a bad idea. how do 16 year olds pay attention

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Abottabad

Abbottabad :smug:

that's an interesting point; that neighborhood was in a kinda poor area off anderson mill and nobody had fences at all so everything was really visible. when we moved to leander when i was 6-7, they were all new builds with giant fences that are ubiquitous today. after that i'd have to walk a quarter mile to my new friend's house, but i'd still hop the fence if he was in his back yard

off anderson mill, i can STILL name four direct neighbors. at my last three living locations from 2016-present i can name zero

Anderson Mill is lowkey probably one of the coolest, chillest neighborhoods in town, but I was just thinking the other day: Is there an external perception that it's "trashy?" I swear that like prices in AMill have stayed pretty reasonable despite the general citywide climb and that subtle inherent racism of property value is bang-on why.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was pretty working class in 1988 but it's fine. lots of good trees

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

it was pretty working class in 1988 but it's fine. lots of good trees

:shrug: Just doesn't make sense to me, it's a balmy section of Austin that still has its Linklater stoner malaise charm and for some reason prices have remained reasonable. Here's to hoping everything else follows suit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1376170755260620802?s=20

Vegan BBQ are what everyone is doin these days!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if brazil is texas, glenn is the californian they warned us about

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GOP culturally rubberbanding like it's fuckin' MarioKart rn

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

George H.W. oval office posted:

We went to Eeyore’s birthday this past weekend and amongst the crowd were children just running around and other pre teens hanging out. Part of me was like hell yea but Jesus Christ I can’t imagine letting your kid free during that.

Yeah, especially with all the nudity.

The turkey leg was good this year though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

poemdexter posted:

Honestly, would you trust your neighbors to tell you something if they saw something bad happen?

That's what posting passively-aggressively on Nextdoor is for.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

yeah that always weirded me out. the kid friendly stuff in the flat areas and the drum circles in the hills

Yeah, it's one of those events where it just gradually becomes more and more adult with each step. It's an Austin institution that is surprising that it's lasted in this fashion for so long.

poemdexter posted:

I think some of this is because of neighborhood makeup in some suburban areas. For example, growing up in south louisiana in the 90's, all the fences between houses (if any at all) were chain link fences and you'd usually chit chat with neighbors across fences. Everyone on the street knew each other personally. I knew if something bad happened, I could knock on literally anyone's door and get help. Now living in a texas suburb, everyone has 8 foot fences and no one knows anyone nor do they want to know anyone on the street. I doubt anyone would give a poo poo even if they saw some kid get snatched up in a white van right in front of their house. It was pretty jarring to see these huge suburban neighborhoods and yet see literally no one outside ever.

I don't know. My parents lived in the same house for 28 years - small town in Oklahoma, middle-class neighborhood with only 15 houses in a loop on the edge of town. When I grew up there in the mid-late 90s, the neighborhood was full of kids and everyone just let their kids do whatever until past dark - there were just enough older kids or parents casually keeping an eye on the younger kids. I started walking my dog alone at age 5-6. Nothing bad ever happened. By the time I was in highschool a decade later, a lot of our neighbors had changed, but none of our new neighbors with kids ever took their eye off those kids. You barely knew the kids existed, because they were never even in their own front yard unsupervised.

I think it's just a cultural shift nationally around stranger danger and not wanting to be seen as negligent.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Kids texting their parents during school shooter events will always be cudgel parents use to block that. Whether it ends up being effective or not.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I'm finally getting out of this god-forsaken state. Yes, I'm moving to another conservative shithole, but that's beside the point.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*reads biloxi real estate pamphlet* look honey, they have a riviera

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Five weeks left for me. Never looking back.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I visited the NY State Capitol when we were up there on our honeymoon, because nerd. And legislative staff kept stopping us - they looked so happy and chill, even though their session was wrapping up (they should feel broken).

That level of peace would be worth the move.

As a native to the Capital Region, the concept of someone going to Albany on their honeymoon breaks my brain. Your spouse must love you very much!

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Old James posted:

As a native to the Capital Region, the concept of someone going to Albany on their honeymoon breaks my brain. Your spouse must love you very much!

Haha, it was actually a road trip honeymoon that started in Niagara Falls and ended in NYC. I would also be devastated by an Albany-only honeymoon.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so when does the leg fully ban abortion with penalties for women

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The second The Base tries to take a nap

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

I know we already have a trigger ban on the books for when Roe v. Wade is overturned, but I don't remember if we have penalties for women in that one.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Texas' abortion law was never removed from the books. If Roe v Wade is dead, presumably that law resumes in full force with no other action needed.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I know we already have a trigger ban on the books for when Roe v. Wade is overturned, but I don't remember if we have penalties for women in that one.

Supposedly Roe v Wade is going to be overturned in the next few days.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000180-874f-dd36-a38c-c74f98520000

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1521296185977417732

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Yep, that's what we're referencing.

We actually still have sodomy banned on the books in Texas, so if the Supreme Court ever overturns Lawrence v. Texas (same-sex relations were only decriminalized here in 2003 by Supreme Court), then we automatically have gay sex as a crime again. Cool that they also now have same-sex marriage registrations to target queer people more effectively!