Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Vando posted:

I still don't think it's super useful to compare the cost to real racing because it's really not the same, it's better to compare it to something like golf or hockey or something for the type of hobby it is.

I would have killed to only average $20/mo to play hockey. Sticks alone cost more than that, not even counting ice time or skate sharpening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That sounds good to me. Are there any compatibility issues running fanatec pedals and TM wheel?
Should be none. The pedals connect direct via USB to the PC.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

That sounds good to me. Are there any compatibility issues running fanatec pedals and TM wheel?

Nope. The computer sees them as two separate things and any sim made in the last 15 years knows how to handle separate wheel and pedals.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
F1 22 having VR is excellent news. Hoping their revised tire model mentioned improves realism too--drove me nuts that F1 2021's driving mechanics are more difficult/finicky than more sim titles in terms of surprise snap oversteer and stuff.

The real pro change they need in F1 22, though, is for the AI on in/out laps to not still follow the racing line and completely destroy your practice run/qualifying by being slow as hell right on the apex of turns. :negative:

Boar It posted:

Seeing the mention of "Pitcoins" on the F1 games' store pages immediately puts me off. To the point where I never felt like buying any of them. I despise funcoins to the point where I will gladly pay monthly for content if it means I won't have to put up with that poo poo. Alas I'll never ever be able to convince my friends to get iRacing since they would rather pay for funcoins in games that are totally not manipulating you.

If you don't care about making your car/driver a pretty princess, they have literally no value at all. Seems weird to compare paying a monthly fee to play vs a completely optional cashing in on whales who want to dress up their car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I can't be a pretty princes for the price on the box, I don't want it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

bUm posted:

F1 22 having VR is excellent news. Hoping their revised tire model mentioned improves realism too--drove me nuts that F1 2021's driving mechanics are more difficult/finicky than more sim titles in terms of surprise snap oversteer and stuff.

The real pro change they need in F1 22, though, is for the AI on in/out laps to not still follow the racing line and completely destroy your practice run/qualifying by being slow as hell right on the apex of turns. :negative:

If you don't care about making your car/driver a pretty princess, they have literally no value at all. Seems weird to compare paying a monthly fee to play vs a completely optional cashing in on whales who want to dress up their car.

KillHour posted:

If I can't be a pretty princes for the price on the box, I don't want it.

It is more about how fake currencies are designed to be manipulative and make it harder for people to know how much they are spending on virtual items. If they listed actual prices in real world currencies then I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. I have no idea how they do it in the F1 games but generally it is predatory and you can never buy the exact amount of their fake currency to buy the items you want. While I can't say it is great to see microtransactions normalized in games, there are plenty of instances where I would have bought something extra if it weren't for the fact that I can't pay for what I want without going through some funcoin currency. However I get why they exist from a business stand point. They cut down on processing fees and encourage people to spend more, win win. Also yes, the cash shop is optional but the advertising and the constant pushing for it in game menus etc is not. I prefer not seeing ads in my games.
But it is what it is, and most people don't mind them. Just my personal preference to try and avoid games like that when I can.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 1, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah f1’s tire model is weird. I think mediums are sort of overpowered and softs fall off too fast.

Who knows for sure since I’ve never driven an F1 car but that’s my feeling

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was serious. Someone decided that every game has to have customization so now I demand it for free. I don't make the rules.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah f1’s tire model is weird. I think mediums are sort of overpowered and softs fall off too fast.

Who knows for sure since I’ve never driven an F1 car but that’s my feeling

I've always heard conflicting things. How the F1 games aren't "simulators" etc. But in truth, does it really matter if it is fun to play? Provided it still feels reasonably believable? Only tried F1 2021 for a few minutes with a controller so I can't really be a judge of that. Aside from iRacing where you can drive last year's Mercedes, I guess modded assetto corsa is the way to go for formula 1 cars. But AMS2 also added their own totally not f1-2022 cars which seem pretty cool.

Bit of a tangent, but I hope the F1 manager game turns out good. Didn't play a lot of motorsport manager but it was a good time. Having the official teams etc would be sweet.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 2, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Empty Box did a whole video on that subject some years ago, basically saying nothing is a "true" simulator, everything's just trying to get as close and believable as they can get and everyone has a different approach to that end goal. Splitting hairs over what the most "realistic" game is is a dumb argument, especially as we're increasingly reaching a point where the same car will drive almost exactly the same in different games because everyone's working off the same data.

And yes the not-F1 2022 cars in AMS2 are great, though the AI has a few issues with them like being unable to handle a DRS train so they end up closing DRS which makes it possible to pass 4-5 cars at once like they're tied to a tree on the Kemmel Straight at Spa.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

njsykora posted:

Empty Box did a whole video on that subject some years ago, basically saying nothing is a "true" simulator, everything's just trying to get as close and believable as they can get and everyone has a different approach to that end goal. Splitting hairs over what the most "realistic" game is is a dumb argument, especially as we're increasingly reaching a point where the same car will drive almost exactly the same in different games because everyone's working off the same data.

And yes the not-F1 2022 cars in AMS2 are great, though the AI has a few issues with them like being unable to handle a DRS train so they end up closing DRS which makes it possible to pass 4-5 cars at once like they're tied to a tree on the Kemmel Straight at Spa.

Yeah exactly, seems to just be down to what you want to drive and which game you find the most appealing. Which is nice.
Might have to check out AMS2 if it ever goes on sale.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
AMS2 was on sale somewhat recently, but not sure if that included the season pass with not-F1 2022 cars since I missed it and the Steam price tracker site doesn't track DLC that I saw. I'm interested, but definitely not $126 + tax straight up interested.

Boar It posted:

I've always heard conflicting things. How the F1 games aren't "simulators" etc. But in truth, does it really matter if it is fun to play? Provided it still feels reasonably believable? Only tried F1 2021 for a few minutes with a controller so I can't really be a judge of that.

At an obvious level--I don't think F1 2021 even models flat spotting tires which seems like a pretty bog standard "sim" thing.

The thing that gets me is Project Cars 2 (or Automobilista 1 or other games I've driven) feels much more forgiving driving-dynamics-wise which seems weird as hell as a sim crowd aimed game vs F1 being mass market. F1 2021 irked me a lot with kerbs (and sometimes not even from kerbs) that seem really liable to unrecoverably spin you in the dry. In Project Cars 2 I needed to try pretty drat hard to fully spin their "Formula X" knockoff, but in F1 2021 it feels like as soon as you lose grip all tires have 0 grip until you're fully around (or into the wall) and no counter-steer will help. In comparison, Project Cars 2 always feels like my wheels are still in contact and, while I may have been too slow on countersteer to smoothly recover, that wheel friction/rolling resistance allows some semblance of a recovery where often in F1 2021 it was just gone and ignoring countersteer/friction to even blunt the spin. On top of that, a lot of things about the 2022 F1 regulations pointed out the 2017-21 era F1 cars are possibly the most stable F1 cars ever which makes it feel even more like sudden snap spins are likely unrealistic (unless driving a 2021 Haas haha).

Even watching YTers (e.g. Jimmy Broadbent), it seemed like F1 2021 is pretty notorious for such spins that watching the same YTers check out the iRacing Mercedes W-12 there was no such incidents.

So generally, no, the absolute "simulation" factor doesn't matter if it's still fun to play, but the seeming oddities in F1 2021 definitely wore on me so I'm hopeful that their new tire model for F1 22 will help ease that.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agreed. Not sure if the mediums were truly overpowered so much as the AI suck on mediums for some reason (lost count of how many times I held position on softs then, after pitting, breezed through the pack) and softs being underpowered due to falling off too fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

AMS2 was on sale somewhat recently, but not sure if that included the season pass with not-F1 2022 cars since I missed it and the Steam price tracker site doesn't track DLC that I saw. I'm interested, but definitely not $126 + tax straight up interested.

The DLC usually goes on sale along with the base game, the 2022 F1 cars were free content though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

bUm posted:

Even watching YTers (e.g. Jimmy Broadbent), it seemed like F1 2021 is pretty notorious for such spins that watching the same YTers check out the iRacing Mercedes W-12 there was no such incidents.

So generally, no, the absolute "simulation" factor doesn't matter if it's still fun to play, but the seeming oddities in F1 2021 definitely wore on me so I'm hopeful that their new tire model for F1 22 will help ease that.

Even as a below-average F1 player, when the W12 came to iRacing I snap bought it and the available GP tracks and was flying around the track in that thing near flawlessly whereas in F1 I was using flashbacks on basically every corner because I couldn't keep the car pointed in the right direction. I'm really hoping the new tire model + VR support will get me back into playing that game because I love the My Career management style of play along with the driving.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

njsykora posted:

The DLC usually goes on sale along with the base game, the 2022 F1 cars were free content though.

It never goes on much of a sale. I've had it sitting on my wishlist for a long time and I've never seen it drop below $75.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

bUm posted:

At an obvious level--I don't think F1 2021 even models flat spotting tires which seems like a pretty bog standard "sim" thing.

Iracing doesn’t either :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Flatspotting is one of those things you think you want until you experience it and find that having your wheel rattle every second because you locked up the brakes one time is really loving annoying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

F1 goes about it in a roundabout way by heating your tires up when you lock up, which in general leads to less grip until they cool down

Its a janky way to get there, but it works

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Maybe it depends on the game or me having a low end wheel (T-150) I don't recall flat spotting being that awful.

njsykora posted:

Ah, good to know.

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm really hoping the new tire model + VR support will get me back into playing that game because I love the My Career management style of play along with the driving.

Definitely. If it drives better and fixes some minor quality of life stuff + having VR support, it could be so good.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone else having trouble with rFactor 2 wheel range? When I play ACC my wheel is perfectly 1:1 but in rFactor 2 no matter what I do the game insists on having some weird ratio where it either locks the range of my wheel or doesn't match it 1:1. I have a g27 and my buddy has a csl dd and neither of us can make sense of it. I tried setting the options in game to 900 degrees rotation and all that to no avail. I even tried looking at the controller json but all that did was reset all of my keybinds.

Also, anyone tried rFactor 2 in VR? I can run iRacing in VR sort of reliably but ACC is a beast apparently, but with rFactor 2 being older I was wondering if it is worth giving a shot.

Edit:

Messed around with it some more and when I set the wheel range to 900 in the game it seems to work for a while but the moment I start a new race or whatever it again just snaps to some random value so I can't get it to save.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 6, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone here gone from the CSL Elite Pedals with Load Cell to the new CSL Pedals LC?

I'm thinking about it because the inconsistent braking of the CSL Elites is annoying, but I was watching youtube reviews and people mention that you cant change the resistance stack on the new ones to get harder or softer resistance?

Is this true? Did you find it to be a problem?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has anyone here gone from the CSL Elite Pedals with Load Cell to the new CSL Pedals LC?

I'm thinking about it because the inconsistent braking of the CSL Elites is annoying, but I was watching youtube reviews and people mention that you cant change the resistance stack on the new ones to get harder or softer resistance?

I’ve never found the CSL Elite LC to be inconsistent in any way and I think it’s a red herring because we as a group of consumers love to blame our gear for everything. If you look at the raw input and cycle the pedal 30-50 times do you find anything surprising about what you’re seeing?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For me its more about the braking being inconsistent corner to corner with it. If I make a conscious effort to keep my foot in the same spot its better, but thats tough to do over the course of an entire race

I've not compared data in the control panel, but it absolutely peforms differently if the ball of your foot is at the top, middle or bottom of the pedal face

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For me its more about the braking being inconsistent corner to corner with it. If I make a conscious effort to keep my foot in the same spot its better, but thats tough to do over the course of an entire race

In a real car though if you place your foot farther from the fulcrum point you also incur more hydraulic pressure in the brake system per unit of force you exert with your leg.

When I look at the raw data on the csl elite and close my eyes and take my foot off the brake and put it somewhere else on the pedal face and apply my best attempt at the same force, the value of the braking is extremely similar, close enough that it’s me not being a robot.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I have the club sport V3’s and no matter where I place my foot I get the same response every time. It’s so reassuring and the reason I bought them after watching a dozen YouTube people ramble on about them.

I’d imagine this is the same for newer generation Fanatec pedals as well.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've got the CSL elite LC brake kit and never had any issues with it regarding consistency. I think it's a great brake system.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Is it just me or is rfactor 2 super slippery compared to other simulators? We drive the GT3 cars pretty well in ACC and then tried some GT3 BMW that is in the base package of rfactor 2, and it is super hard to drive by comparison. Same thing with the skip barber, driven it in iRacing just fine but the moment I even think about turning, the car just loses all grip. Is it a default setup problem or am I just bad? (Or maybe both) Because it is quite the struggle to keep the car on the track across the board with most cars that I have tried. Some formula 4 car that I found had loads of grip but that was the outlier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No I find rF2 to be exactly the same, it feels like every car has super low grip until you’ve done a lap or three.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Cropped up in YT recommendeds--an interview with a Codemasters dev on F1 22 (linked to summary timestamp): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7jwRa1oVFo&t=779s

tl;dw: Sounds like the revised tire model alluded to in the press release includes 12 states of load level vs. 4 before which should allow for more dynamic driving between fully grippy and sliding out of control. There's also a new feature (not in the Miami GP preview build, but to be in by release) to actually model the transmission which wasn't previously--so in F1 2021 when you shifted that change instantaneously was going to the wheels where there'll now be a bit of delay/damping in power delivery on shift that in theory mitigates wheel spin.

There's some other stuff too, but those two hopefully point to somewhat less finicky driving dynamics/spins--although anecdotally, the YTer guy was saying spins seem even worse in F1 22, but maybe that's in part to the interview portion noting that F1 esports drivers tended to somewhat drift around the track because it was faster and the new tire model supposedly will make that no longer the case.

One other neat change is that the setups are now universal--there's no voodoo happening behind the scenes automatically adjusting things on a per-track basis anymore (e.g. a 5 wing level at Monaco was different than a 5 at Monza before). Apparently the 5 default setups don't change on a per-track basis with this universality though--making them probably even more useless garbage than they already were which was a huge downer towards playing the game to need to muck about for like an hour per track to find an actual good setup.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
My CSL pedals with the load cell brake arrived earlier than they said.

I won't have a chance to plug it in and test it for awhile, but I assembled the pedal set.

Is the load cell brake supposed to be incredibly stiff and have almost zero travel? I don't see any way to adjust it so I'm assuming that's normal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I won't have a chance to plug it in and test it for awhile, but I assembled the pedal set.

Is the load cell brake supposed to be incredibly stiff and have almost zero travel? I don't see any way to adjust it so I'm assuming that's normal.

What elastomers are you using?

Yes it's supposed to be like that. It's very similar to what an actual race car pedal feels like. There is no benefit to having a huge pedal movement because your muscle memory is going to be for pressure not position.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Working as intended. You’ll have to re-learn to brake via feel rather than foot movement, but if you drive an actual car it won’t be difficult at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bUm posted:

which was a huge downer towards playing the game to need to muck about for like an hour per track to find an actual good setup.

Pro-tip for that, just use TRL Limitless’s setups. They’re all posted to YouTube. Eventually you learn what you want in a setup vs what he does, and you can just about knock a good setup out in 3 minutes

For instance I know that I like less sway bar, more toe and less tire pressure than him, almost universally, so I can grab his setup, bump the sway bar and tires down, bump up the toe and I’m 95% of the way to a fast setup already.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If there's any elastomers I have no idea what they are.

If this is what is supposed to feel like I'll get to it and start practicing. I've never driven a race car but I've driven all manner of cars trucks and bikes so shouldn't take too long to figure out.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pro-tip for that, just use TRL Limitless’s setups.

Absolutely do not use anything or give any publicity to that loving groomer, jesus christ

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If there's any elastomers I have no idea what they are.

If this is what is supposed to feel like I'll get to it and start practicing. I've never driven a race car but I've driven all manner of cars trucks and bikes so shouldn't take too long to figure out.

The rubber things you use to change the feel of the brake pedal.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

The rubber things you use to change the feel of the brake pedal.

The Fanatec website says they're 65 Shore but doesn't specify A or C. Based on feel I'd say 65C is reasonable.

It also recommends not changing them and doesn't provide any instructions on changing them. I think I see how to get them out but I'll just give it a couple weeks as is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vando posted:

Absolutely do not use anything or give any publicity to that loving groomer, jesus christ

………what?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The Fanatec website says they're 65 Shore but doesn't specify A or C. Based on feel I'd say 65C is reasonable.

It also recommends not changing them and doesn't provide any instructions on changing them. I think I see how to get them out but I'll just give it a couple weeks as is.

Yeah most of us just got used to it then swapped in some firmer ones later. Congrats! Are you in the bearpope discord yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

………what?

He was outed a year or so ago, messaging with a 14 year old etc. All easily searchable, he's banned from every single league and esports org forever as a result, he did one 'apology' video which he deleted and now tries to pretend it never happened (deletes all comments on videos etc). Do not send him traffic in any way.