Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I begged my parents for a Nomad when I was little and they never got me one and I’ll never forgive them for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I begged my parents for a Nomad when I was little and they never got me one and I’ll never forgive them for it

Considering that was basically a portable Genesis I assume the Nomad ate batteries even faster than the Game Gear?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Larryb posted:

Considering that was basically a portable Genesis I assume the Nomad ate batteries even faster than the Game Gear?

Yes, it devoured 6AA batteries in about 2-ish hours. On the other hand, the first time in my life that I beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was on a flight at 30,000 feet.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Dabir posted:

Wasn't it the Xbox that was born out of Sega's fuckups with the Dreamcast somehow?
I think the only relation was Microsoft hired Peter Moore from Sega to help run Xbox, but this was way after its launch. He goes into Dreamcast's struggle here: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2008/sep/11/gamesinterviews.microsoft1?gusrc=rss&feed=technology

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Larryb posted:

yes, and it had no room for batteries in the system itself, you needed to put 6 of them in a little backplate thing that hung off of the Nomad.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The nomad wasn't really a portable system, you were supposed to use it plugged into the ac adaptor as a way to play console games without monopolizing the family tv

It was the original wii u

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sega made a lot of really stupid poo poo that was ahead of its time and thats why it owned

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

The nomad wasn't really a portable system, you were supposed to use it plugged into the ac adaptor as a way to play console games without monopolizing the family tv

It was the original wii u

This is how I played the majority of my time with my game gear. I even remember someone telling me about the adaptor thing when I got it. As if I was expected to use it that way. It got so bad that at one point I saw a commercial, and wondered how the guy was playing it on a park bench. I looked expecting to see some weird power outlet in the cement path. I actually forgot it could even run on batteries.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I am only now finding out about the 8-bit sonic gg2sms conversions with the expanded viewport and now I know what I must do next

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i still want the Divers 2000 series CX-1 Dreamcast

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, in retrospect it’s kind of a miracle that Sega lasted in the console market for as long as it did. What was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back out of curiosity?

Kurieg posted:

They finally promoted a company president that realized that they kept throwing good money after bad and it wasn't improving, and they shoved it down the board of directors throat until they agreed.

Realistically, it was Okawa passing away as he'd been bankrolling all the dumb poo poo personally for ever (and also the good poo poo, like paying out of his own pocket for every JP DC to come with a year of dialup time because they were still paying connection prices BY THE MINUTE and he was adamant that the internet was the future for games).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Realistically, it was Okawa passing away as he'd been bankrolling all the dumb poo poo personally for ever (and also the good poo poo, like paying out of his own pocket for every JP DC to come with a year of dialup time because they were still paying connection prices BY THE MINUTE and he was adamant that the internet was the future for games).

I mean, considering that every console and handheld has had online support for a while now he technically wasn’t wrong

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sega announced that they'd be discontinuing the Dreamcast and going 3rd party before Okawa died. Okawa had been pushing for Sega to ditch the console market for years by the time he became president and only bankrolled the Dreamcast to keep the company from going under.

Augus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 2, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

Sega announced that they'd be discontinuing the Dreamcast and going 3rd party before Okawa died. Okawa had been pushing for Sega to ditch the console market for years by the time he became president and only bankrolled the Dreamcast to keep the company from going under.

He probably saw the writing on the wall with his health, he was also the one pushing MS to get DC games going on Xbox

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sega made a lot of really stupid poo poo that was ahead of its time and thats why it owned

This tbh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a random meme spreading on Twitter today of Sonic characters walking and leaving random retail stores. I have no idea what sparked it. I don't follow any of these accounts, Twitter just sends them my way.

This was the best one though.

https://twitter.com/CryoGX/status/1520952473980006400?t=GdgLBCHIET_zSlyWj1OiWA&s=19

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/heyimpyro/status/1520940978554736640?s=21&t=LIBKsX3vzbsU1ENcjGkDrA

https://twitter.com/spiritsonic/status/1520868750123175937?s=21&t=LIBKsX3vzbsU1ENcjGkDrA
https://twitter.com/spiritsonic/status/1520869014829813760?s=21&t=LIBKsX3vzbsU1ENcjGkDrA

https://twitter.com/amasc0met/status/1520010138878369793?s=21&t=LIBKsX3vzbsU1ENcjGkDrA
https://twitter.com/amasc0met/status/1520511955718574082?s=21&t=LIBKsX3vzbsU1ENcjGkDrA

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Is this a fetish thing like the one guy who liked pictures of women buying Wonder Bread?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/cloudless_art/status/1520899534901157892?t=NwUQhHxAayU08W1PX5aupw&s=19

https://twitter.com/cloudless_art/status/1520899947268382721?t=a2ppfq03h5BYQUhb71aEOA&s=19

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Chieves posted:

Is this a fetish thing like the one guy who liked pictures of women buying Wonder Bread?

Now I've remembered the person who had a gallery of Sonic characters driving various Boston public transport vehicles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
*artists have fun drawing silly pictures of Sonic characters going into real life stores*

"WHAT IS THIS?! FURRY SEX FETISH????"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://twitter.com/oddsketches/status/1520955928652050432

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

*artists have fun drawing silly pictures of Sonic characters going into real life stores*

"WHAT IS THIS?! FURRY SEX FETISH????"
Please do not shame my incredibly specific kink of Shadow the Hedgehog entered a Claire’s.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GET A LOAD OF THIS

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ecHwlOcYE

This video kinda sold me on being down to see an Sonic Advance Collection.

To repeat some of the points from the video in my own thoughts:

Sonic Adv 1 was good at the time, but was always a bit lacking to me - maybe it's the GBA graphics, or the level designs, but there's just something kind of un-memorable about it. Terribly special stages & no supers in stages was a mark against, but adding Amy to the playable cast was a good plus.

Sonic Adv 2 was mixed - I like the level themes and the trick button was an interesting idea. But boy did the "trick or die" sections of levels leave a bad impression. And somehow special stages and emerald collection got even worse.

Sonic Adv 3 I barely played... I don't know what exactly made me fall off, but KingK makes a really strong case for it not being as bad as I remember? Or like, he makes a good case for it having some really neat ideas that kinda never got tried again. Like Knuckles being able to spindash up a wall, that's super cool and could make for some great sonic gameplay.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

All of the Advance special stages are great, I will brook no quarter on this.

Advance 1 is admittedly difficult to work out some of the moves on the fly, like when you are supposed to perform a trick to hit the yellow gates (it's just after you hit them, not before) and how the freefall button realigns you to the centre so you can pass through bombs. But once I understood it I loved them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Advance 3 has a cool concept, but it’s when Dimps’s weakness in level design really rears its ugly head with a lot of platforming over bottomless pits. It’s definitely built more for exploration too, so definite YMMV.

I remember loving around with the combos and being bored by the levels once the novelty wore off.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Getting to the special stages in Advance 2 was some horseshit. Get all the rings just to fall down a pit and lose them all at the final check point gently caress you. Yes I'm mad cause bad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the advance trilogy overall is great, giving amy a definitive moveset, introducing cream, the top notch sprites, lots to love

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

All of the Advance special stages are great, I will brook no quarter on this.

Advance 1 is admittedly difficult to work out some of the moves on the fly, like when you are supposed to perform a trick to hit the yellow gates (it's just after you hit them, not before) and how the freefall button realigns you to the centre so you can pass through bombs. But once I understood it I loved them.

Adv1's special stage is incredibly bad because not only are they awful to find, you get one shot a stage where there's horrible 3d perspective making it really hard to judge where you are relative to the rings, with a margin of error that makes Sonic 2's special stages look generous. As a result learning and getting better at them is a very frustrating experience.

If I were to remaster Adv1, I'd at least make it so there's a bunch of special springs spread across the stages, ala S3&K (and not limit it to 1 emerald per zone.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I sort of enjoyed the Rush games to an extent as well (which also technically invented the boost mechanic that Unleashed later brought back), though Blaze was more fun to play as than Sonic in my opinion

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DIMPS is the Inti Creates of Sonic, with all the pros and cons you think that implies

Looper posted:

the advance trilogy overall is great, giving amy a definitive moveset, introducing cream, the top notch sprites, lots to love

Amy yes, there should be more Amy whenever possible, but introducing Cream is a point against, not for.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TripleKyun/status/1521017662649909250

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the advance games would benefit tremendously from a wide-screen update, even more than the Genesis games.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I know you can say this about every Sonic game, but Advance 3 really does have a dope soundtrack.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Augus posted:

the advance games would benefit tremendously from a wide-screen update, even more than the Genesis games.

Someone here has played Sonic Pocket Adventure, right? That looks almost as painful as the Game Gear 8-bit games for small field of view.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cream is a perfectly fine character.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

flavor.flv posted:

DIMPS is the Inti Creates of Sonic, with all the pros and cons you think that implies

They're weirdly horny and love inflicting misery on their characters?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

Amy yes, there should be more Amy whenever possible, but introducing Cream is a point against, not for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Someone here has played Sonic Pocket Adventure, right? That looks almost as painful as the Game Gear 8-bit games for small field of view.

it's pretty fun