Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

More on Elvis and the Cannon:

quote:

“Obviously, now when I hear the cannon, I’m happy. But that was the feeling I had at the start of the season.”

Kekalainen said Merzlikins did not alert Blue Jackets management that the cannon triggered him, but they were aware around the holidays that Merzlikins was struggling with his grief.

“I wasn’t here mentally because I felt that Christmas was coming closer and Matiss was always with (my family) on Christmas and the New Year,” Merzlikins said. “Then I heard the fireworks (on New Year’s Eve). We played a game (vs. Carolina) on (Jan. 1) and I asked (coach Brad Larsen) … I couldn’t even talk. I knew in my head that I couldn’t play that game, because there was gonna be fireworks (on New Year’s Eve) and if I heard them, it’s gonna be a problem.

“I remember I walked up to Manny (Legace) and just started crying. I couldn’t even express myself. Manny brought me to Lars, and Lars was the first guy (at the rink) the next morning. Lars understands it.”

The Blue Jackets gave rookie goaltender Daniil Tarasov the start that day against the Hurricanes, but — as fate would have it — Tarasov had to leave the game with a hip injury after two periods with the Jackets leading 4-2. Merzlikins allowed four goals on 15 shots and the Blue Jackets lost 7-4.

:(

Now that blown lead makes much more sense.

https://theathletic.com/3286654/2022/05/01/blue-jackets-marchenko-merzlikins/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

More on Elvis and the Cannon:

:(

Now that blown lead makes much more sense.

https://theathletic.com/3286654/2022/05/01/blue-jackets-marchenko-merzlikins/

Pretty heartless/stupid to leave him on as a backup in that case isn't it? If he's too rattled to start the game how the hell can he be expected to take over mid-game as the only option?

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lol i hope this guy gets called up next year and he gets in a fight with corey perry and then he squeees correy perryès head until it explodes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i wish i could fail forward like chevy has. what a killer job. just never succeed, never progress, still get paid more and for longer. sign me the gently caress up. does he have an old NHL exec daddy or former star player uncle or something?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Being willing to live in Winnipeg has a lot of value.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

schiefele sounds like a future oiler

Capped out baby

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah rangers seem like an obvious choice with that contract. They should trade whatever it takes to get him

Or if Calgary could swindle a Monahan+lots of picks swap

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought Melnyk died why are the Sens still being scrooges

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Incredible

Is he still coasting off a WCF run from 5 years ago? christ

Ginette Reno posted:

Who is running the Sens now that Melnyk is dead? I don't remember him having any interested failsons

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Now there's two Melnyks and they each have half the wealth the last one did.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is running the Sens now that Melnyk is dead? I don't remember him having any interested failsons

He’s got 2 daughters that are super young. There was an Athletic article right after he died that said one was a ‘99 and the other an ‘02, so still at the who the gently caress knows what they want to do stage of their lives.

They’re leaving it to the pros for now, but it’s still up in the air long term and they’re probably still relatively cash poor.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Incredible

Is he still coasting off a WCF run from 5 years ago? christ

He’s coasting off being lucky enough to have one of the top 3 goalies, if not the best, goalies in the NHL for the last 5 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean it's not like the Senators suddenly have money now that he's dead.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Are we sure that Melnyk is actually deceased and didn't just fake his death to escape his many creditors? The announcement came out of the blue.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Have some loving class guys, please don’t joke about Melnyk being alive

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He's worm food! It's great!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1520833654670467074

oh man :smith:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm leaning towards being okay with trading Scheifele, if only to get rid of all his whining.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Ouch. Not cool putting the guy on the spot like that.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1521153833472303112?t=RUyZhmgRUKFS6zRUjjLkCQ&s=19

A good start!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Ouch. Not cool putting the guy on the spot like that.

To my knowledge Brock had been open about discussing it in previous interviews.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

This is a fairly basic and obvious step to take and I feel a tremendous amount of relief and not a small amount of surprise that it's actually happening. The Jets!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I wonder what the hell Charlie Huddy had on people in Winnipeg, assistant coach for 11 years lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Devils are really keeping Ruff and his staff that are 46-76-16 in 2 years huh? Big "ehh gently caress it" energy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Devils are really keeping Ruff and his staff that are 46-76-16 in 2 years huh? Big "ehh gently caress it" energy.

Ruff is definitely getting the benefit of the doubt from the 1-2 punch of the team having miserable goaltending and injuries to key players, it’s bulletproof excuse-making for coaches

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Koth posted:

I'm leaning towards being okay with trading Scheifele, if only to get rid of all his whining.

honestly I think trading Scheifele could be a massive win for the Jets.. he's one of those players that quite frankly isn't anywhere near as valuable as most people imagine because his defensive zone deficiencies erode so much of what value he does bring in the offensive zone. The fact that he's on what is perceived as an amazing contract would just amplify the return in the trade.

I think the obvious place for Scheifele to be traded to would be Carolina.. a team that can take a one dimensional player and minimize their weaknesses because their system is so good. Carolina has also shown a desire to acquire these offense first / only players - they were supposedly after picking up Klingberg too..

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Scheifele can frick off.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Dump Scheifele and hire a coach willing to play Blake Wheeler on the third line where he belongs and you're a lot closer to fixing whatever is going on in that locker room.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think the Jet's need to commit to Dubois, Connor, Ehlers and Morrissey as the core and leadership. Scheifele should get a decent return. Wheeler probably can't be traded but he needs to take a lesser role in games and leadership. I'm sure his leadership style is a big part of what's rotten. He doesn't seem like a chill fun guy.

They also need to hire a coaching staff that can integrate young players better. It's ridiculous that samberg wasn't getting pk time despite the team already being eliminated. And heinola spent so many games in the press box the last 2 years I wouldn't be surprised if he's one that asked for a trade

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I think this season served up some humble pie for Wheeler in that the season was such a disaster and he couldn't fix it. I think he is more willing to change his mindset than Scheifele who seems to feel like pointing fingers at everyone but himself.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

his abilities as a coach notwithstanding, the fact that the players in NJ don't appear to outwardly hate ruff after two bad seasons is pretty impressive given what he used to be like earlier in his career

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
True, they've just given up on life, which for Ruff is progress.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yzerman still the nicest guy in hockey?

quote:

Yzerman, who inherited Blashill and extended his contract last year, complimented Blashill for the job he did coaching a team that has been rebuilding since he was promoted in June 2015.

"Jeff Blashill is a good hockey coach," Yzerman said. "He ran a really good program. I can certainly attest to our program for the last three years because it's been dictated by me. Under the circumstance where I'm trying to rebuild this team ... I say this sincerely, Jeff did an outstanding job leading this team, this organization, in a very, very difficult circumstance.

"Pardon the expression, but he ran a good program. This wasn't a complete shitshow."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2022/05/02/steve-yzerman-detroit-red-wings-regressed-jeff-blashill/9618646002/

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/SensCentral/status/1520972631851163650

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

whatis posted:

his abilities as a coach notwithstanding, the fact that the players in NJ don't appear to outwardly hate ruff after two bad seasons is pretty impressive given what he used to be like earlier in his career

Does it really matter if players on a losing team like their coach? I mean I like Lindy too... He seems like a great guy... but the results are what they are.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1521331338476937216

Congrats FAS

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Claude Giroux is coming home, baby

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Does it really matter if players on a losing team like their coach? I mean I like Lindy too... He seems like a great guy... but the results are what they are.

it doesn't matter no, but he was extremely confrontational and toxic towards players in his last couple years in buffalo when things turned bad. it's just good to see him not being a monster

whatis fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ruff plays a grandpa's system and stimeys young players and just seems like an rear end in a top hat but you do you NJ. I guess they wanna chill in the basement a few more years and if that's the case, ruff is your man!