Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

moosferatu posted:

That said, I generally avoid ks games because I dislike the fan service feature creep.

Well that’s the thing, when you look at a slick, high profile kickstarter campaign the language tends to be stuff like “you are critical for our success,” “you and your friends are what we need to succeed,” and “thanks to your support we met all these stretch goals to give you an even better game!”

And then when that fails to materialize you get people saying “well no poo poo, you only crowdfunded $20 million and you know drat well that it’s mandatory to staff a ball pit on Mission Street at $5 million a month to make any kind of video game.”

They’re not all like this, and not all people are going into kickstarters ignorant of the risks, but the part where people are mocked or simply considered a negative part of the process after the fact after being buttered up is what I find distasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Remake Soul Reaver you cowards!!!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Azran posted:

Remake Soul Reaver you cowards!!!

its sad to think that if a remake ever manifests and they choose to re-record voice lines it'll be extremely difficult to replace Tony Jay and Paul Lukather. the voice acting really elevated it from a 3D Zelda game to a special experience.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Who are worse, 8chan fans or blockchain enthusiasts?

At least this sounds like some group who were fans of the original games in contrast with Square Enix who wanted them to be a money maker so they could spend more money on their own Final Fantasies.

Can always buy the next Tomb Raider or Deus Ex on a deep discount so you don’t support them too much

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So this means SE's completely divested of their western studios, right? Because while they're hanging on to Outriders and Iife Is Strange, they never actually owned PCF or Dotnod.

Anno posted:

Yeah I totally believe that SE’s western studios aren’t making money for them, at a time when their other games are mostly doing very well, and it makes sense to divest them. I guess the question is is that because of how they were managed and can they be made to work much better under different leadership.
While some SE games have probably been outright failures, their expectations have also been ridiculous for a long while. Like, they were expecting COD-level sales for stuff like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 2, 2022

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The more prominent shareholders of any company are always full of inbred trust fund raised morons with more money than common sense. They're the same in every publicly traded company. So I absolutely believe they'd ask Nintendo why they're not doing crypto or making vacuum cleaners or snorting cocaine like they're doing and instead making video games.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjFyRBRuYoo

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't blame Square Enix's investors for focusing on the bottom line, because they have made some pretty terrible choices in regards to game development in the past. Their hands off approach to the Final Fantasy games turned some of them into tremendous money sinks.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
They did terrible choices because they expected that whatever they did, the western IPs would save them from going in the red. Then Tomb Raider etc sold below their (unrealistic) expectations.

edit: below, not beyond

ymgve fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 2, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wasn't it to a large extent FF11 and FF14 keeping them in the black

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i want a thief remake

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i want a thief remake

How about Thief but on idtech4? With a million custom missions?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Dark Mod is seriously underrated.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

its sad to think that if a remake ever manifests and they choose to re-record voice lines it'll be extremely difficult to replace Tony Jay and Paul Lukather. the voice acting really elevated it from a 3D Zelda game to a special experience.

Can't wait to hear the standard Matt Mercer/Troy Baker combo doing the history abhors a paradox bit from the end of Soul Reaver 2.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

SANABI Demo
- Holy poo poo Where Did This Come From And Where Has This Been All My Life? This one is not out yet so it's just a demo but what an impression it makes. Basically you're a grizzled veteran with a BIONIC ARM sent back into action when a mysterious terrorist group takes out an entire city, leaving you to traverse the post apocalyptic ruins alone and kill those responsible. Sounds familiar right?

Yep, this is a 2D demake of the Bionic Commando reboot, except instead of taking place in the "FSA" it takes place in a thoroughly futuristic and cyberpunk Korea and instead of being a sad husband you're a sad dad. Why did it take someone this long to make a Bionic Commando-ish game that controls this well where you can aim your arm with your mouse? I have no idea, but it's time has come. Unlike the BC games however this one really leans into the idea that YOU are the weapon, so instead of combat being the usual blasting enemies on a 2D plane affair, it's just a matter of grabbing them with your bionic arm... because once you do, it's all over. Unless they're a boss, in which case you have to do it several times. But it's an interesting change of pace, one where you feel like the hunter and they feel like the prey. This is A+ excellent stuff. One caveat - I mentioned this is a "sad dad" sort of game, and the demo tutorial starts with you playing games with your kid, who is written to be as adorable as a child character in such a game could possibly be. But it didn't take me more than a minute to see where it was going. Yeah :( But once you get past that and to the first fight and the second tutorial and beyond it's great stuff. The kind of niche that only the best indie games can fulfill.

The full game is available in EA.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's may and i would normally put a bunch of screenies of upcoming games but i'm on vacation so NO!!! i'll just type some names of games coming out this month and you can look 'em up yourself!!

Oaken - some sort of hexagonal tactics roguelite

Loot River - dungeon crawler roguelite seen in past E3-ish streams where you shift platforms around in sewery environments. i think this one will be on Gamepass?

Wildcat Gun Machine - isometric bullet hell dungeon crawler that says it's NOT randomized. so that's... good? it's not just a sea of procgen this month?? that's fine with me

Dark Quest - woops spoke too soon here's another roguelite, a turn based card battler that also has dice rolling?? (early access)

Citizen Sleeper - i'll actually link this one because it seems cool. a CYOA/gamebook-inspired story game where you live on an outlaw space station

Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters - WHATR THE gently caress why do they keep releasing a new warhammer game every 3 weeks??? can you chill games workship.

Trek to Yomi - another cool samurai game coming out, published by Devolver

The Inheritance of Crimson Manor - looks like an escape roomy game but if the room was a mansion

Best Month Ever - story game set in the 1960s where you're a mother with one month to live, travelling across the country with your son teaching him the ways of the world before you pass on

Crowns & Pawns - looks like a classic-style point and click adventure but in 3D. not much to write home about with the character animations, but this may be the first P&C adventure where you can customize your character's appearance

Lost in Fantaland - stop me if you've heard this one before.. a turn-based cardbuilding roguelite in early access

We Were Here Forever - sequel to We Were Here and We Were Here Too, a co-op first person puzzle game

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - you know how there's basically a new not-Suikoden coming out in 2023? well, they also had a separate ARPG that no one cared about in the works, and this is that one.

Songs of Conquest - the HOMM inspired crunchy pixel 3D game that people are hyphy for

Makai Kingdom & ZHP - two NISA games being re-released for the first time on PC

Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia - idk wtf kinda name is Runersia, but as i understand it, this is the sequel to a PS1 tactics game

Cantata - neat looking turn based strategy game with cool visuals that remind me of hyper light drifter

The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - a new FMV VN by the writer of 428: Shibuya Scramble, do I have your interest yet????

Little Witch in the Woods - Crafty life-simmy game about living in a magical forest

V Rising - a vampire survival game by the dev of Battlerite

Eternal Threads - time travel story game where you try to save a family from a fire

Dolmen - sci-fi soulslike with anime swords

Soda Crisis - sidescrolling action shooter. people said the demo was fun but I never had a chance/the time to play it

Floppy Knights - Nintendo-style-SRPG meets Deckbuilder with really cute art by the Dicey Dungeons artist. This one might be coming to Gamepass? I forget

Spacelines from the Far Out - Looks like if Overcooked was about running an alien airport

Sonority - Music-based puzzler where music notes affect things in the stage and you have to work out the proper melody to get from point A to point B

My Time at Sandrock - LONG-awaited followup to My Time at Portia, the game spent over a year and a half in China's certification hell before finally being cleared to release.... in Early Access. that said, given that it's a year beyond the original expected EA launch date, I would imagine this will be a lot more polished a launch than Portia's was. the biggest improvement in Sandrock is that the combat is no longer horrendous, and is now merely serviceable, and yes that's a pretty big deal imo! you also have a more challenging task ahead of you as this takes place in a desert town where water is not an abundant resource.

Souldiers - Ignore the buzzwords in the description... this is basically an SNES-style action platformer with nice graphics, 16-bit music (IIRC from the demo), and serviceable action and exploration. it's not 'soulslike' like they claim, idk where they get that from, or if they're just trying to lure people in.

Sniper Elite 5 - yet another one of these, huh

Kao the Kangaroo - a reboot of an obscure 3D platformer from the Dreamcast/PS2 era. the closest comparison I'd make is Rayman 2: The Great Escape, but if it had half the budget and was jankier. well, this is a modern Kao and so it loses some of that jank and seems like it has a decent bit of polish to it. for some reason the trailer has Don't Stop the Beat by Junior Senior in it, although maybe that's just their way of showing that they have a lot of nostalgia for the early 2000s

Dwerve - another long-awaited indie release, this is a top down action-adventure/tower defense hybrid, where you are a dwarf that can't really defend himself super well, so you build machines/turrets around yourself to keep enemies away. seems like it might have Zelda progression? any game that mentions you'll eventually acquire a shield and a boomerang and dash boots, and you go dungeon diving, it's hard not to think Zelda

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Trek to Yomi and Loot River are both gamepass

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So with the Roguelite sale live, any recommendations? I'm sure a lot of people will recommend Noita, I'm definitely looking at Streets of Rogue, but I've also been hearing good things about Rogue Legacy 2 as of 1.0 and I've been itching for a metaprogression game for some reason. Any other thoughts? I'm sure there are many.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Well that’s the thing, when you look at a slick, high profile kickstarter campaign the language tends to be stuff like “you are critical for our success,” “you and your friends are what we need to succeed,” and “thanks to your support we met all these stretch goals to give you an even better game!”

And then when that fails to materialize you get people saying “well no poo poo, you only crowdfunded $20 million and you know drat well that it’s mandatory to staff a ball pit on Mission Street at $5 million a month to make any kind of video game.”

They’re not all like this, and not all people are going into kickstarters ignorant of the risks, but the part where people are mocked or simply considered a negative part of the process after the fact after being buttered up is what I find distasteful.

I've been pretty critical of crowd funding games in the past, but there's the inherent problem that it's not money=game because there's so many different people and personalities involved much less long term funding requirements. It's just too easy to part money from a certain subset of gamers with marketing buzzwords and an appeal to nostalgia.

Pillars of Eternity is a great example of it working and being done right, even if the final product doesn't blow you away. It had a goal, set out to reach it, and pretty much succeeded. I've knocked Broken Age but it's solidly in the success column even if they wildly underestimated the money needed. Owlcat does fairly well, but the games on release are in a rough state, arguably beta state, until they get fixed 6 months down the line.

Mighty No 9 is a case of the main creator/personality taking control of the process and putting out a trash game for whatever reasons, cost, dev time, design choice etc. It was pretty hilarious that the excuse was "well at least you're getting a game" as a dig at some of the vaporware KS projects.

Shenmue 3 is arguably better but then ran into the hosed up market situation where it took Epic money as an exclusive after taking in a ton of unrestricted backer money. Also Shenmue 3 is a game who's creator insists he perfected game design in 1999 and doesn't take advice or suggestions.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Trek to Yomi and Loot River are both gamepass

As is Eiyuden Chronicles Rising! Or will be, in a week ish

sad question
May 30, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

Kao the Kangaroo - a reboot of an obscure 3D platformer from the Dreamcast/PS2 era. the closest comparison I'd make is Rayman 2: The Great Escape, but if it had half the budget and was jankier. well, this is a modern Kao and so it loses some of that jank and seems like it has a decent bit of polish to it. for some reason the trailer has Don't Stop the Beat by Junior Senior in it, although maybe that's just their way of showing that they have a lot of nostalgia for the early 2000s
I'd say it should have quite a bit of Polish given where it's developed :dadjoke:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am stoked for we were here 4, each game in the series so far has been substantially better than the last

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm still not 100% sure what trek to yomi even is

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still not 100% sure what trek to yomi even is

cinematic platformer with Soulslike combat, I think?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

it's may and i would normally put a bunch of screenies of upcoming games but i'm on vacation so NO!!! i'll just type some names of games coming out this month and you can look 'em up yourself!!

Oaken - some sort of hexagonal tactics roguelite

Loot River - dungeon crawler roguelite seen in past E3-ish streams where you shift platforms around in sewery environments. i think this one will be on Gamepass?

Wildcat Gun Machine - isometric bullet hell dungeon crawler that says it's NOT randomized. so that's... good? it's not just a sea of procgen this month?? that's fine with me

Dark Quest - woops spoke too soon here's another roguelite, a turn based card battler that also has dice rolling?? (early access)

Citizen Sleeper - i'll actually link this one because it seems cool. a CYOA/gamebook-inspired story game where you live on an outlaw space station

Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters - WHATR THE gently caress why do they keep releasing a new warhammer game every 3 weeks??? can you chill games workship.

Trek to Yomi - another cool samurai game coming out, published by Devolver

The Inheritance of Crimson Manor - looks like an escape roomy game but if the room was a mansion

Best Month Ever - story game set in the 1960s where you're a mother with one month to live, travelling across the country with your son teaching him the ways of the world before you pass on

Crowns & Pawns - looks like a classic-style point and click adventure but in 3D. not much to write home about with the character animations, but this may be the first P&C adventure where you can customize your character's appearance

Lost in Fantaland - stop me if you've heard this one before.. a turn-based cardbuilding roguelite in early access

We Were Here Forever - sequel to We Were Here and We Were Here Too, a co-op first person puzzle game

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising - you know how there's basically a new not-Suikoden coming out in 2023? well, they also had a separate ARPG that no one cared about in the works, and this is that one.

Songs of Conquest - the HOMM inspired crunchy pixel 3D game that people are hyphy for

Makai Kingdom & ZHP - two NISA games being re-released for the first time on PC

Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia - idk wtf kinda name is Runersia, but as i understand it, this is the sequel to a PS1 tactics game

Cantata - neat looking turn based strategy game with cool visuals that remind me of hyper light drifter

The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - a new FMV VN by the writer of 428: Shibuya Scramble, do I have your interest yet????

Little Witch in the Woods - Crafty life-simmy game about living in a magical forest

V Rising - a vampire survival game by the dev of Battlerite

Eternal Threads - time travel story game where you try to save a family from a fire

Dolmen - sci-fi soulslike with anime swords

Soda Crisis - sidescrolling action shooter. people said the demo was fun but I never had a chance/the time to play it

Floppy Knights - Nintendo-style-SRPG meets Deckbuilder with really cute art by the Dicey Dungeons artist. This one might be coming to Gamepass? I forget

Spacelines from the Far Out - Looks like if Overcooked was about running an alien airport

Sonority - Music-based puzzler where music notes affect things in the stage and you have to work out the proper melody to get from point A to point B

My Time at Sandrock - LONG-awaited followup to My Time at Portia, the game spent over a year and a half in China's certification hell before finally being cleared to release.... in Early Access. that said, given that it's a year beyond the original expected EA launch date, I would imagine this will be a lot more polished a launch than Portia's was. the biggest improvement in Sandrock is that the combat is no longer horrendous, and is now merely serviceable, and yes that's a pretty big deal imo! you also have a more challenging task ahead of you as this takes place in a desert town where water is not an abundant resource.

Souldiers - Ignore the buzzwords in the description... this is basically an SNES-style action platformer with nice graphics, 16-bit music (IIRC from the demo), and serviceable action and exploration. it's not 'soulslike' like they claim, idk where they get that from, or if they're just trying to lure people in.

Sniper Elite 5 - yet another one of these, huh

Dwerve - another long-awaited indie release, this is a top down action-adventure/tower defense hybrid, where you are a dwarf that can't really defend himself super well, so you build machines/turrets around yourself to keep enemies away. seems like it might have Zelda progression? any game that mentions you'll eventually acquire a shield and a boomerang and dash boots, and you go dungeon diving, it's hard not to think Zelda

Dwerve's demo was pretty neat, I enjoyed the concept and Ill have to check out the full release.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

they are missing the point by not putting the romanceable/friendable npcs front and center on their steam page.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

At this point in the evolution of the Steam store I have been trained to immediately ignore or skip over any game mentioning romanceable NPCs

e: Lol at the "Going Rogue Festival", a big sale about roguelikes, featuring 0 traditional roguelikes. Even the "Roguelike" category of the sale does not have any actual roguelikes in it.

Also a whole bunch of the games on sale as part of the Going Rogue festival aren't even roguelites! A whole lot of them don't even feature roguelite elements.

If you click the "Roguelike" category (separate from the "roguelite" category) on the sale page you're taken to a page featuring... Elden Ring? Sekiro?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 2, 2022

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Artelier posted:

As is Eiyuden Chronicles Rising! Or will be, in a week ish

For some reason the Game Pass preload for this has already been active for a while, but it's only like 4GB. Just in case you're up in Iqaluit or something and your internet has to be delivered to you via a team of sled dogs packet by packet

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

deep dish peat moss posted:

At this point in the evolution of the Steam store I have been trained to immediately ignore or skip over any game mentioning romanceable NPCs

e: Lol at the "Going Rogue Festival", a big sale about roguelikes, featuring 0 traditional roguelikes. Even the "Roguelike" category of the sale does not have any actual roguelikes in it.

Also a whole bunch of the games on sale as part of the Going Rogue festival aren't even roguelites! A whole lot of them don't even feature roguelite elements.

If you click the "Roguelike" category (separate from the "roguelite" category) on the sale page you're taken to a page featuring... Elden Ring? Sekiro?

Recently Humble had a Survival sale.
With games like Division 2, Doom 3, Tombraider and Fallout 3.

These idiots are just throwing genres to the winds these days and putting every game in every genre to boost sales.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I looked at the roguelike sale preview a few days ago and the game it placed front and center for me was Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

I think it's just broken at the moment, changing categories doesn't seem to refresh the featured games at all. But yeah it's a weird sale, maybe some titles just haven't had the discount applied yet.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The description of the sale sales they also decided to include Souls-like and Metroidvania games because they felt it fit the theme of “Persistence”. I assume there’s quite a lot of crossover between players of the genres too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The number of actual roguelikes that gets made is tiny, especially compared to the "roguelites" with their metaprogression and whatever else kids love these days.

Now if you excuse me I have to pop my dislocated hip back in and yell at the clouds some more.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

didn't isthereanydeal.com used to sort better?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That list of monthly releases has made me wonder what's going on with Salt and Sacrifice. It still seems firmly on track for May 10th, but no Steam page is odd. I wonder if the dev took an Epic deal and is trying to keep it hidden or something.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

The number of actual roguelikes that gets made is tiny, especially compared to the "roguelites" with their metaprogression and whatever else kids love these days.

Now if you excuse me I have to pop my dislocated hip back in and yell at the clouds some more.

At least they didn't spell it rougelike, so there's that I guess. I'd elaborate but I hear kids around my lawn so I have to be off.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Is steam getting hammered over a roguelike sale?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
should i get gunfire reborn? how does it compare to risk of rain 2/enter the gungeon?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jack Trades posted:

There's a category now in Steam for "traditional roguelike" if you're looking for something more like what the term used to mean. Of course, now stuff is starting to sneak in there that doesn't belong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

That list of monthly releases has made me wonder what's going on with Salt and Sacrifice. It still seems firmly on track for May 10th, but no Steam page is odd. I wonder if the dev took an Epic deal and is trying to keep it hidden or something.

Well, it is listed on Epic store, at least.

Nevertheless it's a must buy if it's out on the 10th, I absolutely loved the original.

e: I found out news flat out saying it's an Epic exclusive, so it doesn't seem to be hidden