Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

RareAcumen posted:

Disco Elysium is sounding a lot like a game that you're gonna bumble through hard on your first playthrough - How very in character for this RPG and protagonist-

But an absolutely amazing thing to play on a second playthrough if you're someone that does that and doesn't immediately throw games out the window the second the main story is complete.

Yup. My recommendation is to pick two stat categories to heavily invest in, then do the exact opposite for your second run. There's just so much poo poo going on and so many things you likely won't even realize you can do until you try that out. Also you can kinda speedrun the whole thing since you'll have a better idea of what you should be gunning for. On my Motorics/Int run I managed to hop past the barricade to talk to Evrart basically first thing, got in contact with Joyce and pumped her for rent, shot down the body, performed the autopsy, figured out its secrets, and the only reason I didn't send the body off right away was because I wanted to get the boots and also was afraid it would skip the excellent first night review with Kim

I could write essays about how loving good Kim is as a character, both on his own but also within the setting of the game and as a foil to the protagonist. It's a small thing, but I really loved the touch that Kim smokes exactly one cigarette a day (usually at night when he's reviewing his notes), and how that impresses Harry because it requires way more self control than not smoking at all. I also loved the morning after you recover from the tribunal when Kim wakes you up and lights up a cigarette. You can comment that you thought he only smoked one a day and he just responds "this is the one." Absolutely ice cold

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, Disco Elysium calling you boring is more about making you aware that you're not spreading out the web of feelers you should be in a mystery solving game. It's calling your gameplay routine, not you, which is why it's Boring Cop and not Boring Detective. Your gameplay sees you acting really normal i.e. self-railroaded and you may not realize you don't have to. Almost like the game is prodding you into remembering that you can selectively lie to others and personify yourself, not because it'll pigeonhole you into a playstyle, but because it's how you unlock further opportunities to interact in whatever way you want, even if you go back to being boring cop right after.

I liked the resolution to that thought

Regular Law Official posted:

You've done it, Harry! Whatever else you are, you're also *boring* now. It was *not* easy. You've spent most of your life trying to funk up every nook and cranny of your personality. When someone says something political, the first three thoughts in your head are a ludicrous hodgepodge of communism, fascism and stock tips. When they ask you why you did something, it's superstardom, apocalypse, or the *mea culpas* of a flagellant cop monk. It's not easy, reaching for the fourth option -- the normal one. But you have. And now you're not *just* crazy, you're also *boring*.

The fact that the bonus it gives you just increases the learning cap on all stats to a minimum of 3 is both not especially useful, but also is useful to exactly the kind of person who's trying to do everything by the books. The real comedy comes from the likelihood that someone who accidentally ends up becoming Boring Cop is also someone who probably started the game with 3 in all stats, rendering the positive bonus moot and making the thought bonus on the whole actively detrimental because it also gives you a minor penalty to Shivers and Inland Empire

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 21:37 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love that I was labeled a sorry cop, I legit felt sorry for poo poo people have had to deal with and it was mostly apparently being my (Harry's) bullshit

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TontoCorazon posted:

I love that I was labeled a sorry cop, I legit felt sorry for poo poo people have had to deal with and it was mostly apparently being my (Harry's) bullshit

I feel like Sorry Cop is super easy to fall into on a first playthrough because a good chunk of the game is finding out about things you've done and a lot of them really aren't great. I think it first popped for me when I was talking to Sylvie.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I can safely say Disco Elysium is the only video game I’ve ever encountered that lets you roleplay as a gay alcoholic militant communist doomsday cultist wearing a jacket emblazoned with “piss(gamer word)”.

I am fairly pleased with my first playthrough so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And for reference, Boring Cop is considered a 'main' archetype by the game even though there aren't really any major things you can do with it. It changes some of your dialogue choices and allows you to call your fashion sense "regularcore" which is the best thing you can call it. It seems to be based on the type of person who sees participating in joy as hedonism because they've recently given up something that hurts them. You gain a lot of the early points in it for lecturing people about alcoholism or proclaiming that you're giving up drinking unnecessarily to people when you ALSO had the dialogue option to just say you'll pass. You can forgo opportunities out of the fear that alcohol might be present, or at least express worry about it. Let your reasoning for disposing of drugs and hazardous waste be that they won't bother people that way, not that their current presence could cause harm.

Nearly all of your "You're welcome"s become a half-smiled "hey, just doing my job". You get at least A point if not more for saying, verbatim, "it doesn't matter what I think, it's not important if I liked the guy." If you trace a path through the dialogue choices over the course of your playthrough it ends up not JUST being about fitting in and playing your role, it's about poor boring cop fading into the background to avoid redoing the harm that he caused: "I don't have an opinion, because my opinions hurt people".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 2, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i suppose the jacket has a gamer word on it, but not what is commonly understood as the gamer word

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Despite the fact that I've been playing Dark Souls since it came out I only just now found out about this amazing bit of dialogue if you attack the moss merchant in the waterway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPDadbn8hc

She just lays into you so hard and I love it. :allears:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i suppose the jacket has a gamer word on it, but not what is commonly understood as the gamer word

Ethics?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Debunk This! posted:

lmao I had no idea, she went on for so long

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like that she has a single humanity in stock for you to buy and there's a single rat on the other end of the tunnel

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

You would be wrong. It’s blurred out though. Also It’s a nice touch that Kim thought it was a little funny at first but then took me aside to talk to be about my inappropriate dress after a little while.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 00:07 on May 3, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Flaubert

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I have but one regret in my playthrough of Disco Elysium and that is that I didn't get the boots.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

I have but one regret in my playthrough of Disco Elysium and that is that I didn't get the boots.

Yeah I made a mental note to get them and just forgot

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Frank Frank posted:

You would be wrong. It’s blurred out though. Also It’s a nice touch that Kim thought it was a little funny at first but then took me aside to talk to be about my inappropriate dress after a little while.

The gamer word is the n-word. Pissf****t would never stoop to using racial slurs

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kit Walker posted:

The gamer word is the n-word. Pissf****t would never stoop to using racial slurs

Oh I thought the gamer word was “f****t”. I’m actually pleased I got that wrong

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oh no

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1521291620385140736?t=lk150Rr_jf3zaiRmVOlheA&s=19

I think my run ends here because I can't make a decision this important

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Beautiful women are fleeting, Kim is forever

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

Beautiful women are fleeting, Kim is forever

She’s also allegedlya sexual assault victim so it’s really not much of a “finger guns” mood up there on the roof.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing The Stanley Parable 2 Ultra Deluxe, and finally winding down on tracking down all the new content, when I found the best updated ending using a new item. Deciding to power on the mind control system, when you have said new item with you, instead of doing a countdown to killing you it turns out the whole system just turns into a video monitor that lets you page through actual videos of silly birds, and you enjoy it enough that you spend the rest of your life there :unsmith:
I don't think I have the willpower to ever start up the game again and change that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think the Disco Elysium decision that's probably an unflattering reflection on my real self involves the whole thing with the church on the coast. I assumed I could either let the researcher or the EDM crew do their thing with it, not that they could coexist there, and so had the EDM crew hauled off. Maybe there's a point how just thinking like a cop there closed off options for me. The moment I missed because of it is definitely a candidate for this thread.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 02:20 on May 3, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1521323030391132160?t=Az6DoX9g9OA7ZYdI5KeEhA&s=19

Poor Kim. He did not sign up for my bullshit

Also his voice actor just sounds so tired. That's the tone I would take with children when I worked in childcare

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
being a perpetually exasperated killjoy is a privilege that Kim fought for his whole career and he will not give it up easily

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You can finish the game without unlocking a single achievement or ever having an archetype and the game doesn't really get what you're doing or, I guess, if we're arguing about out art farts that that means its the only playstyle endorsed by the game because it never detracts you for your choices.

Edit: I also hosed up the ending so badly because it did not seem to understand at all what I wanted to do it triggered a fail state auto victory so thanks game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Len posted:

Also his voice actor just sounds so tired. That's the tone I would take with children when I worked in childcare

Makes a lot of sense considering he spent years working undercover as a juvenile. He is not particularly fond of those years.

DE is kinda like Undertale in that many of its conventions and design choices kinda deliberately gently caress with the expectations of a player who's used to video games, RPGs in particular. Both call for a change of perspective compared to mainstream titles, with Undertale keeping track of everything you do and rubbing it in your face, while Disco Elysium calls more for letting the dice fall as they may and letting you set your own priorities.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd argue a lot of rpgs want you to do the latter, it's just that usually they're not very good at it (especially in videogames, as a casualty of the medium)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

In Deep Rock Galactic there's a bar you can get drinks at between missions, usually for the one beer that'll give you a buff in the next mission. There's a tip jar for the robot bartender that you can actually put credits into. It doesn't do anything other than making your dwarf thank the bartender, but I can't resist doing it every time

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

I think the Disco Elysium decision that's probably an unflattering reflection on my real self involves the whole thing with the church on the coast. I assumed I could either let the researcher or the EDM crew do their thing with it, not that they could coexist there, and so had the EDM crew hauled off. Maybe there's a point how just thinking like a cop there closed off options for me. The moment I missed because of it is definitely a candidate for this thread.

I hope you felt awful.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Len posted:

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1521323030391132160?t=Az6DoX9g9OA7ZYdI5KeEhA&s=19

Poor Kim. He did not sign up for my bullshit

My favorite Kim moments so far were when I found a children’s ABC book, read it and excitedly told him “I know my ABCs!” - also the entirety of the cryptid arc where I went all-in on believing in cryptids really irked him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of ways that the relationship between the PC and Kim can work out, though I did like the bit where you can be totally honest with him as he figures out he's really not faking the amnesia. (You can at one point claim it was fake, but it's really not) It is fun when they basically have a mature conversation, both wondering what the gently caress is up with him and the whole situation- Kim is getting to know the protagonist along with the player and the protagonist himself.

There's a lot of stuff that's more obvious in retrospect- the game's big on options but some things are conspicuous by their absence. Visual Calculus at a decent level represents a frankly superhuman ability to analyse a scene, notice small details, and fit them together to a full on Sherlock Holmes degree. The player character can figure out that a car parked by the Whirling-In-Rags was recklessly taken off, ramped off a building and crashed into an ice floe, and on finding the car, recognises that it's a police car putting together a sequence of unlikely but demonstrably real events, and is completely oblivious to that the prime suspect for doing so is himself, and it's his patrol car until Kim flat out says so. There's iirc no option to even suggest it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Debunk This! posted:

Despite the fact that I've been playing Dark Souls since it came out I only just now found out about this amazing bit of dialogue if you attack the moss merchant in the waterway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPDadbn8hc

That would have to be the single longest dialogue in any soulsborne game.

Surprised they didn't make you click a prompt 20 times for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What's great about Kim is that he really nails that sweetspot where he's the straight man and mature adult of the duo so he gets to be exasperated by your antics but at the same time he acknowledges that sometimes it works to your advantage so he's also not there to spoil your fun as a player. Plus then on the rare occasion where he can really and truly get fed up with you it has real impact.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

christmas boots posted:

What's great about Kim is that he really nails that sweetspot where he's the straight man and mature adult of the duo so he gets to be exasperated by your antics but at the same time he acknowledges that sometimes it works to your advantage so he's also not there to spoil your fun as a player. Plus then on the rare occasion where he can really and truly get fed up with you it has real impact.

kim can cuss you out exactly once that i know of and it does both health and morale damage

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oxxidation posted:

kim can cuss you out exactly once that i know of and it does both health and morale damage

it also has in-game effects!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This implies that Kim can actually cuss you to death which feels both fair and deserved

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I know theoretically failing the authority check in the church and calling Kim a slur might be seen as the worst thing you to can do Kim, but personally I think the worst thing I ever did was call into his favorite radio station, say a bunch of fascist poo poo that made everyone mad at me, then ask the DJ to give a shout out to my best friend Kim Kitsuragi, at which point the DJ told us both, on the air, to gently caress off and never listen to his show again

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

If I ever play through DE again with the intention of completionism, I'm going to find a list of things that will get me the 'Kim hates you' trophy, do them in quick succession, then immediately load my game, because ain't no way I'm doing a playthrough where he's not my bff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Stanley Parable/Ultra Deluxe there's an achievement/trophy for clicking on a specific door 5 times. When you click on the door more than once the Narrator starts chastising you for doing something only to get an achievement and starts adding in new tasks for you to do before finally having you click on the door five more times which then gives you the achievement.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
On one hand, Kim is the best sidekick character in any RPG. On the other hand, he is a Cop, a Bastard by definition. Harry is a Bastard, and that is why he is a Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, I didn't even know there was a new version sequel whatever for Stanley Parable, now I just need to be able to stop playing Elden Ring for five minutes so I can check it out