Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sonic Pocket Adventure is weird cause it's this strange mashup of S1/2/3. Like, mostly Sonic 2, but then you get the S3&K Knuckles fight at the end of not-Aquatic Ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Rush games ruled and I desperately want a sequel. Colors DS doesn’t count.
Give me Rush 3 where you can swap between two dimensions in a level like the time travel in Sonic CD, like warping between an ice version and fire version of a zone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rush with level designers that aren't DIMPS could have my interest.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cream was great in the handheld games, she just looks absolutely stoked to be on an adventure with her best friend, and she is the absolute lynchpin of the plot in Rush as she continually embarrasses Blaze for trying to be a grim loner until she just gives up.

But in Heroes she became this squeaky, meek irritant and a small part of me died.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ecHwlOcYE

This video kinda sold me on being down to see an Sonic Advance Collection.

To repeat some of the points from the video in my own thoughts:

Sonic Adv 1 was good at the time, but was always a bit lacking to me - maybe it's the GBA graphics, or the level designs, but there's just something kind of un-memorable about it. Terribly special stages & no supers in stages was a mark against, but adding Amy to the playable cast was a good plus.

Advance 1 is good but unremarkable. The level themes are all rehashed from the Genesis games. Except for Egg Rocket, such a great level.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
Putting Cream in Sonic Battle felt like a weird call though. I don't think a kindergardner really belongs in a fighting game. They actually tried really hard to avoid putting Cream on an enemy team in the story, but at least a couple times you are definitely forced to curb stomp a little girl.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean Tails is eight.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Waffle Shake posted:

I don't think a kindergardner really belongs in a fighting game.

youve clearly never played a fighting game before

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Waffle Shake posted:

Putting Cream in Sonic Battle felt like a weird call though. I don't think a kindergardner really belongs in a fighting game. They actually tried really hard to avoid putting Cream on an enemy team in the story, but at least a couple times you are definitely forced to curb stomp a little girl.

its all good fun

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nodosaur posted:

I mean Tails is eight.

Yeah but Tails also has a pilot's license, multiple workshops and a house shaped like his own head. If that doesn't qualify someone as a legal adult, I don't know what does!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Do we know for sure Tails has a license? He could just be flying the plane illegally

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't need a pilot's license to fly experimental aircraft

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Also I’m pretty sure that they violate multiple international airspaces in Unleashed

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/OrchiidsDoodles/status/1520987069094445056

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

DIMPS is the Inti Creates of Sonic, with all the pros and cons you think that implies

Amy yes, there should be more Amy whenever possible, but introducing Cream is a point against, not for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGae-hYAjM

This and her round 2 intro in Sonic Heroes' battle mode justify Cream's existence on their own.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Macaluso posted:

*artists have fun drawing silly pictures of Sonic characters going into real life stores*

"WHAT IS THIS?! FURRY SEX FETISH????"

If there is ONE fandom where innocuous and silly pictures of specific characters belie furry sex fetish...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We needed another Mania DLC to add Cream and Amy :colbert: I guess you want to redesign Cream so she isn’t Diet Super Tails, but even then she’s fine as a Super Easy mode.

Also, I couldn’t play Rush Adventure, as it just isn’t Rush without a Hideki Naganuma OST.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calaveron posted:

If there is ONE fandom where innocuous and silly pictures of specific characters belie furry sex fetish...

This forum's unending obsession with furries is extremely weird.

Anyway:

https://twitter.com/TheFantasticIan/status/1348785429353431041

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sex stuff: Shadow transforming into a toilet tank
Probably fine: Amy going to Hot Topic to buy a Naruto shirt

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

We needed another Mania DLC to add Cream and Amy :colbert: I guess you want to redesign Cream so she isn’t Diet Super Tails, but even then she’s fine as a Super Easy mode.

Also, I couldn’t play Rush Adventure, as it just isn’t Rush without a Hideki Naganuma OST.

Rush Adventure had a better soundtrack than Rush :colbert:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Procrastine posted:

people are going to try and bully you for this, but you're right. don't back down

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

perhaps a hot take, but IMO Rush's perception is buoyed by it's soundtrack.

I have vague memories of it suffering from similar problems as Adv2 with regards to difficulty - lovely bottomless pit placement and rather punishing lives/continue system.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm seeing a lot of love for handheld Sonic here, but how is the Sonic RPG? I missed out on the whole DS era, and am morbidly curious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Godawful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Rush's soundtrack is probably a lot more complex and interesting musically, but Adventure's soundtrack is much more fun to actually listen to, on the whole.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Rush's soundtrack is probably a lot more complex and interesting musically, but Adventure's soundtrack is much more fun to actually listen to, on the whole.

I disagree

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm seeing a lot of love for handheld Sonic here, but how is the Sonic RPG? I missed out on the whole DS era, and am morbidly curious.

Some of the dialogue was fun but otherwise it’s in my opinion one of the worst things BioWare has ever made (even the music sucks, which is a rarity in most Sonic games)

Hell, the game literally ends on a cliffhanger because they were expecting to get a sequel but didn’t

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Look up a script or something to read all the ways Sonic can be an rear end in a top hat to Amy and you've seen the best bits

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I did like all the arc welding it did for the echidna storyline

On the other hand it completely hosed over the comics

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wasn’t Chronicles what set Penders off?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

hatty posted:

Wasn’t Chronicles what set Penders off?

Yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Procrastine posted:

And entirely worth it with Sky Babylon Act 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

it is controlled entirely via touch screen and every special attack used by both you and the enemy requires a bad elite beat agents-esque qte for successful offense and defense, even healing moves. you can find eggs scattered across the regions that hatch into random chaos and serve as special accessories, one of which lets you skip the lovely qte, and you can get multiple of the same chao with some save scumming, but this only serves to make the combat tolerably tedious instead of abysmal. also cream is the best character in the game by a long shot so don't miss her, she is optional! also also the combo attack animations are fun so definitely youtube those if you're interested

there are some fun lines but overall the script was clearly written by people who read wikipedia summaries of the previous games but weren't actually all that familiar with the characters, omega especially feels off and is basically just hk-47 in a different game. you get lots of dialogue branches that let you choose between being nice or an rear end in a top hat to your friends. notably, amy starts the game pretending to have a canadian boyfriend named dexter but if you're nice enough to her, she'll eventually admit she was lying which leads into a sonamy end

overall it's a hot mess but still the best bioware game i've ever played

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Looper posted:

overall it's a hot mess but still the best bioware game i've ever played

it's between it and MDK2 personally

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's between it and MDK2 personally

I had no idea that MDK2 was Bioware somehow, I assumed it was Shiny. That's a shame about the controls, it sounds like I should just watch a short video about what a train wreck Dark Brotherhood is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I had no idea that MDK2 was Bioware somehow, I assumed it was Shiny.

IIRC Interplay held the IP rather than Shiny themselves. They did want Nick Bruty to do it but he was making Giants over at Planet Moon and Interplay wanted to get a sequel done asap so they sent it over to Bioware (who were still on the smaller side because they hadn't made Baldur's Gate yet)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Looper posted:

omega especially feels off and is basically just hk-47 in a different game.

Honestly this is fine, not like Omega really had much to him after Heroes (despite being key to the weird-rear end time travel plot in 06.)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Omega is great. They should use him more.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Omega is Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/chinchila010/status/1521164264144179200?t=fEK0HWlX3Z0uQPy4f8Gw-A&s=19