Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If I had to take a flight that long I'd spring for business class at a minimum since I cannot, for the life of me, sleep sitting upright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
They need on board medical marijuana. Whole plane just chill and watching TV for 20 hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a friend that's currently on the DFW to Sydney flight and that's 16.5 hours.

At that point, what's another 3.5 hours?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Warbird posted:

Wasn’t there some moron that landed his chopper at a Dairy Queen a few months back? I think I remember them pulling his license.
Yeah, I think that was in Saskatchewan last year. He was charged, but I don't know what happened there.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If I had to take a flight that long I'd spring for business class at a minimum since I cannot, for the life of me, sleep sitting upright.
You and me both, but I'm doubly cursed in that the few times I have flown intercontinental the past 10 years I make a point of layflat and I still can't actually get sleep :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
They are flying A350-1000s on that route which will be equipped with only 238 seats (in 4 classes). A typical 2-class A350-1000 seats 369. For comparison the narrow body A321 can hold 240 in an all economy layout.

They also say these planes will have "a wellbeing zone in the centre of the plane - with a self-service snack bar and space for stretching and movement".

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, there are already renders of the "wellbeing zone" and it just kinda looks like a "stretching nook."

https://onemileatatime.com/news/qantas-a350-first-class-suite/

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I think that was in Saskatchewan last year. He was charged, but I don't know what happened there.

You and me both, but I'm doubly cursed in that the few times I have flown intercontinental the past 10 years I make a point of layflat and I still can't actually get sleep :(

Have you tried noise-canceling headphones? They made a significant difference for me trying to sleep on the 15 hour flights between JFK to Taiwan. It was especially noticeable since I had done the flight without them a couple of years prior and the flight from JFK took off at 1AM so I was eager to get to sleep once we were in the air. We were flying Premium Economy class so the seats were only okay. Then again, I've gotten used to sleeping while sitting up from years of commuting into Midtown Manhattan on commuter trains.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In-flight internet is a godsend as well, even if the bandwidth is only good enough for something like Slack and basic browsing/shitposting at FL410.

I still remember getting looks on Alaska trans-con when the bandwidth was decent enough to play Hearthstone with the occasional DC/RC.

Also, offline games like Seedship can burn tons of time as well.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Just make those sleep pods from the fifth element already

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FunOne posted:

They need on board medical marijuana. Whole plane just chill and watching TV for 20 hours.

I'm picturing a new 'smoking section' where the attendants just pull a curtain across the back of the plane and smoke starts billowing out ala Cheech and Chong. The volume of conversation picks up for 30 minutes and then the attendants just fling a couple flats of chips into the back and start a movie on loop and then silence for the rest of the flight.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Murgos posted:

I'm picturing a new 'smoking section' where the attendants just pull a curtain across the back of the plane and smoke starts billowing out ala Cheech and Chong. The volume of conversation picks up for 30 minutes and then the attendants just fling a couple flats of chips into the back and start a movie on loop and then silence for the rest of the flight.

Quantas inaugurates Choom Class!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

I have a friend that's currently on the DFW to Sydney flight and that's 16.5 hours.

At that point, what's another 3.5 hours?

In my experience each hour above about 8 hours feels like 1.5 hours, and each hour above about 12 hours feels like 2. not having been on a flight above about 14.5 hours I cannot speak to the time after this point, but I imagine the last few hours are excruciating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, there are already renders of the "wellbeing zone" and it just kinda looks like a "stretching nook."

https://onemileatatime.com/news/qantas-a350-first-class-suite/

It’s still very important because you have to stay within your own class of service for some international flights and on a 4 class plane that could get kinda claustrophobic

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In-flight internet is a godsend as well, even if the bandwidth is only good enough for something like Slack and basic browsing/shitposting at FL410.

I still remember getting looks on Alaska trans-con when the bandwidth was decent enough to play Hearthstone with the occasional DC/RC.

Also, offline games like Seedship can burn tons of time as well.

Pre-Vid this was my solution for DFW-HKG which is 16ish hours on the block. That ~20 bucks for whole-flight internet is VERY worth it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Jesus Christ are they just going to sedate the people in economy class.

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1521029180955189251
I've been on a 24+ hour bus trips before so this couldn't possibly be any worse than that.

I can't seel in anything that isn't my bed though so that's not going to be a factor anyway.

In-flight internet would be great, I think I've been on one or two flights that even offered it though. Pretty weird that Ryanair and friends aren't milking $5 from everyone for an hour or two of connectivity.

Does that really count as "messed up", then?
vvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 2, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

FunOne posted:

I messed up with some edibles and ended up stoned on a transcontinental flight. It was very nice.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PainterofCrap posted:

Quantas inaugurates Choom Class!

Jamaican Airways suddenly a big international player

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been on a 24+ hour bus trips before so this couldn't possibly be any worse than that.
Buses stop every few hours, giving you the chance to walk around, replenish snacks, use real restrooms, etc.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

Read the statement (and maybe the original video) with the angle “it is illegal to intend to land an aircraft there in regular operations without other permission because it’s not an aerodrome and is within 500 ft of houses”.

Suddenly every point being made is irrelevant.

But that's not illegal though?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't seel in anything that isn't my bed though so that's not going to be a factor anyway.

In-flight internet would be great, I think I've been on one or two flights that even offered it though. Pretty weird that Ryanair and friends aren't milking $5 from everyone for an hour or two of connectivity.

Does that really count as "messed up", then?
vvvv
My 14-hr EWR-DEL flight basically felt like a bus ride. Squirming uncomfortable inconsistent sleep, not much to do, and just a whole lot of boredom. If it lasted another four or six hours I don't think I would care, I'd just given up at that point.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

mobby_6kl posted:

have you been on any really long flights to compare? at least for me, I can assure you a 20 hour flight would be significantly worse

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I've done LA to Sydney and back in economy via Quantas. Maybe I'm some sort of flight pervert, but it was great. I just played video games and read books and napped and occasionally walked down the aisle to stretch while the flight attendants kept handing me beer, then coffee. Admittedly edibles would make it an even more fun experience, but I'd happily do it again tomorrow if it weren't for Covid. New York to Sydney doesn't seem like a significant increase in duration.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Loucks posted:

I've done LA to Sydney and back in economy via Quantas. Maybe I'm some sort of flight pervert, but it was great. I just played video games and read books and napped and occasionally walked down the aisle to stretch while the flight attendants kept handing me beer, then coffee. Admittedly edibles would make it an even more fun experience, but I'd happily do it again tomorrow if it weren't for Covid. New York to Sydney doesn't seem like a significant increase in duration.

14 vs 20 hours? That's a shitload in my book.

I've done 16 from Hong Kong to Chicago and I was ready to be the hell off that plane and I was in business and love to travel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Edward IV posted:

Have you tried noise-canceling headphones? They made a significant difference for me trying to sleep on the 15 hour flights between JFK to Taiwan. It was especially noticeable since I had done the flight without them a couple of years prior and the flight from JFK took off at 1AM so I was eager to get to sleep once we were in the air. We were flying Premium Economy class so the seats were only okay. Then again, I've gotten used to sleeping while sitting up from years of commuting into Midtown Manhattan on commuter trains.
Yeah and they indeed made a *massive* difference , but I just couldn't do it :(
I don't know if it's a fully stretching out thing or what (3 years ago now) but I know I had a hard time on a train in a sleeper cabin too. I toss and turn a lot even on a bed.

I couldn't imagine a 20hr flight. Germany to Vancouver is enough for me. I can't imagine to Australia non-stop. That would be brutal.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s still very important because you have to stay within your own class of service for some international flights and on a 4 class plane that could get kinda claustrophobic
Last time I flew across the pond was on a Lufthansa 744 and the chief steward had his "office" right near the bottom of the stairs. I am 99% certain, while convenient for both upper level and front of the main deck to get him if necessary, it was more to keep the peasants from dirtying the front of the plane with their presence.I was upstairs and going to the head and I remember overhearing someone say "I JUST WANT TO LOOK" at the bottom of the stairs :( I felt like grabbing him and bringing him up.

But I didn't.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

have you been on any really long flights to compare? at least for me, I can assure you a 20 hour flight would be significantly worse
The longest was FRA-SEA I think, almost 11 hours. It would be fine if I could actually sleep. Eat, sleep, wake up and you're there. I'm sure it gets worse but it's not like walking out side the bus for 5 minutes helps much anyway.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Worth remembering that for those who live in Australia and NZ, super long haul is commonplace. Already we have Auckland to Dubai on Emirates and Doha with Qatar. both over 17 hours and AirNZ is introducing Auckland to New York soon at 17h35m.

Yes, a break is nice, but given that for most of us the final destination is London or somewhere else in Europe, stopovers can quickly turn boost your total travel time. Sure, 3-6 hours is a common transfer time, but 8-12 hours isn't uncommon either, now your total travel time is more like 40 hours versus ~24 AKL-LHR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The longest was FRA-SEA I think, almost 11 hours. It would be fine if I could actually sleep. Eat, sleep, wake up and you're there. I'm sure it gets worse but it's not like walking out side the bus for 5 minutes helps much anyway.

it makes a very big difference imo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Next time you're ferrying bees don't touch the Cursor Control Device...

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In my experience each hour above about 8 hours feels like 1.5 hours, and each hour above about 12 hours feels like 2. not having been on a flight above about 14.5 hours I cannot speak to the time after this point, but I imagine the last few hours are excruciating.

Having done SYD-DFW-JFK, I would absolutely take 3.5 more hours on the plane over having to get out, wait in line, clear customs, haul my bag to the re-check-in place, clear security again, wait two hours, and then get on an AA domestic flight for four more. Hell, I'd pay extra for the privilege. And not just because the QF plane has free booze and Tim-Tams.

There's simply no way to make Oz to the US east coast, or Western Europe, not suck bar Concorde II. But the fewer steps in the process/things the traveler has to do in the middle of it, the less sucky.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

All direct all the time

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I assume PER-LHR route ain't coming back then; too bad for me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Psion posted:

I snapped my tailbone off when I slipped doing a giant-stride entry on a dive on a resort island in the Maldives. I flew from there to the Maldives international airport in Mali, from Mali to Sri Lanka to Dubai to London to Reykjavik to Seattle on a broken tailbone. My leg was purple from the interior bleeding, and there were no painkillers in the Maldives, of course. I sat on a red hot coal for forty hours in economy class with a few hours layover in between. I've been a little freaky on long plane flights ever since. My rear end literally still aches if I sit too long on a hard cushion, or at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

Having done SYD-DFW-JFK, I would absolutely take 3.5 more hours on the plane over having to get out, wait in line, clear customs, haul my bag to the re-check-in place, clear security again, wait two hours, and then get on an AA domestic flight for four more. Hell, I'd pay extra for the privilege. And not just because the QF plane has free booze and Tim-Tams.

There's simply no way to make Oz to the US east coast, or Western Europe, not suck bar Concorde II. But the fewer steps in the process/things the traveler has to do in the middle of it, the less sucky.

oh don't get me wrong, I'll take the direct in all long haul circumstances but it just sucks, man

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DFW-Narita-Hanoi was no peach. The trip back was better thanks to a comped upgrade to Premium Economy for Hanoi-Narita (flight was 10 minutes late and a friend in the industry called in a favor), and I paid for that upgrade for Narita-DFW, plus lounge access.

Never underestimate the positives of a shower and a nap room during a long-rear end trip.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
As someone who has a large amount of long flights (the worst being gate to gate of well over 40 hours) I welcome not having to spend time in airports. Job 1 is a powerful enough laptop to game on. Job 2 is comfortable headphones. Job 3 is a hard drive full of off-line games and TV shows you like. Job 4 is telling your gp and getting hella benzos. I used to be unable to sleep on planes until my 40 hour plus hellflight. Now I can fall asleep anywhere

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I snapped my tailbone off when I slipped doing a giant-stride entry on a dive on a resort island in the Maldives. I flew from there to the Maldives international airport in Mali, from Mali to Sri Lanka to Dubai to London to Reykjavik to Seattle on a broken tailbone. My leg was purple from the interior bleeding, and there were no painkillers in the Maldives, of course. I sat on a red hot coal for forty hours in economy class with a few hours layover in between. I've been a little freaky on long plane flights ever since. My rear end literally still aches if I sit too long on a hard cushion, or at all.

My company’s travel policy has the note that business class can be purchased for flights over so many miles with a doctor’s note and I think you finally answered my question “what conditions is that policy even for”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

My company’s travel policy has the note that business class can be purchased for flights over so many miles with a doctor’s note and I think you finally answered my question “what conditions is that policy even for”

Back issues, circulation issues, acute executivitis, diabetes…

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Back issues, circulation issues, acute executivitis, diabetes…

Acute DYKWIA

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FunOne posted:

Acute DYKWIA

It’s usually chronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

big dong wanter posted:

As someone who has a large amount of long flights (the worst being gate to gate of well over 40 hours) I welcome not having to spend time in airports. Job 1 is a powerful enough laptop to game on. Job 2 is comfortable headphones. Job 3 is a hard drive full of off-line games and TV shows you like. Job 4 is telling your gp and getting hella benzos. I used to be unable to sleep on planes until my 40 hour plus hellflight. Now I can fall asleep anywhere

or just take a sleeping pill and copious amounts of alcohol!