Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I haven't seen 9

2 is great because it's a bromance redemption movie that really stars the cars. Peak tuner car stuff as opposed to the supercars and superhero type stuff that came later.

9 completely misuses Cena having him play the villain completely straight when he's a much better comedic actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think Cena pulls off a good jealous little brother energy. But def would like to see him having more fun in fast x.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I just don’t buy Cena as Vin’s brother

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1521150052621717504
https://twitter.com/emmonvfx/status/1521132035511033856
https://twitter.com/Darragh_Scanlon/status/1521172908558671872
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1521168625310310402

whydirt posted:

No one does, even within the movie, but they just roll with it.

The best parts are flashback young Vin Diesel looking absolutely nothing like F&F1 Vin Diesel. It's like a glimpse into an alternate casting reality.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 2, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

whydirt posted:

Or Latino.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Valve Steam Deck posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1521150052621717504
https://twitter.com/emmonvfx/status/1521132035511033856
https://twitter.com/Darragh_Scanlon/status/1521172908558671872
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1521168625310310402

No one does, even within the movie, but they just roll with it.

The best parts are flashback young Vin Diesel looking absolutely nothing like F&F1 Vin Diesel. It's like a glimpse into an alternate casting reality.

Best parts of the flashback are seeing Vin's young crew

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Louis is an interesting choice. Transporter films were fun action. But not a particular wild choice like some may have hoped. But I guess Lin already had a lot setup, so maybe only so much a new director can add.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

checkplease posted:

Louis is an interesting choice. Transporter films were fun action. But not a particular wild choice like some may have hoped. But I guess Lin already had a lot setup, so maybe only so much a new director can add.

Considering they were already filming for a week before Lin decided to peace out, I guarantee you that every set piece has been storyboarded and the CGI sequences have been pre-vizzed. There's not a ton of influence a newcomer can have at this point unless they scrap everything and push the movie back six months so Leterrier can figure new things out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

checkplease posted:

Leterrier has made one good film and that is Jet Li's Unleashed

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The main thing I remember about the car chases in The Transporter was that the first one was in Nice on some of the exact same streets used in Ronin, which was about a million times more excitingly shot and edited. So, yeah, not convinced he'll be up to Lin's level.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume the main criteria they were looking for in a director was "available" since they were losing so much money from starting production and then shutting down.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

These are wild times for the saga. We need this movie (and 11) to be glorious. They can't mess this up. Lou could do.

On Vin being difficult and a weirdo, this is the secret sauce of the franchise. Sometimes you need an oddball maniac to make a saga as good as the saga.

Random example, Michael Douglas mentioned that Debra Winger bit him in the 80s, she's a biter, and he considers her a character. Though he chose not to work with her for that reason. But still. She was doing some great work at the time!

That said, it really sucks that he made things unpleasant for Justin. Hopefully somebody gives that guy the keys to a great new action series. Just for the record on the Daily News thing linked, that's a tabloid and doesn't have a quote from Justin etc.

Also, I wonder what Justin remaining on as a producer will entail. On the new director, I wonder how much of this franchise is a machine in place like with a TV series. Do they have regular second unit directors, DP, etc, I haven't checked that out. I heard Sam Raimi on a podcast talking about when he did second unit for the Coens on Hudsucker Proxy, second unit work seems unsung and interesting.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 2, 2022

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe they should have just got a small time director that Vin could just ghost direct.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/justin-lin-fast-10-breaking-point-vin-diesel-1235139195/
Hollywood Reporter article on how Lin quitting came to be.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s a really interesting article. Sounds like a combination of factors led to the Lin exit and shows how big the movies are getting.

- studio demanding rewrites still after a locked script
- location changes due to Ukraine
- Vin being bossy and annoying and a big fight with him.
- increased pressure as budget approaches 300 million with much tied up in cost of actors
- film becoming more important for Universal financials

The article also says that Lin quit in the heat of the moment, but studio took it seriously immediately. Did they want him out? Or maybe just weird article wording?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Why do they care about 300m when this movie is going to make like twice that

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well the typical way of estimating the budget is to take the production budget and double it. So using that, guestimating how much a 300m dollar budget would have to make to turn a profit would be something close to a billion. And yeah even with the film being a big blockbuster franchise tentpole entry that's still a pretty tall order.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For one thing, Fast 9 only made about 700 million, a major decline from Fate of the Furious. Sure, everyone understands that the pandemic was a factor but I'm sure there are concerns within the studio that the franchise has lost some of it's bankability. And if you're worried about that you probably are going to also be worried when you see the budget ballooning to over 300 million.

Then there's the the way the franchise is being described as pretty crucial to Universal's overall financial bottom line these days, and so there's an opportunity cost involved if you put out a Fast & Furious movie and it doesn't completely wreck the box office and break records. Universal is counting on it to basically carry them financially for that entire calendar year and anything less than that is going to be a disappointment, so a $300 million budget makes that situation even more dicey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pity the poor studios.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1525161737791610880
https://twitter.com/JimJarmuschHair/status/1525529671198134273

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he has one of the Riddick knives at her back

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seems like Ramsey is her biggest role since games of thrones ended. But that’s true for most of the cast. Fast and furious is the money maker for them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Their sacrifice makes them heroes, we need these movies! Four weeks down, 80 to go. Stanley Kubrick style.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

For one thing, Fast 9 only made about 700 million, a major decline from Fate of the Furious. Sure, everyone understands that the pandemic was a factor but I'm sure there are concerns within the studio that the franchise has lost some of it's bankability. And if you're worried about that you probably are going to also be worried when you see the budget ballooning to over 300 million.

Then there's the the way the franchise is being described as pretty crucial to Universal's overall financial bottom line these days, and so there's an opportunity cost involved if you put out a Fast & Furious movie and it doesn't completely wreck the box office and break records. Universal is counting on it to basically carry them financially for that entire calendar year and anything less than that is going to be a disappointment, so a $300 million budget makes that situation even more dicey.

The movies have been getting worse and worse and suffer without the Rock injecting actual charisma.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

eh, hobbes and shaw was all rock and it was a black hole of charisma/fun

they've gotten worse since paul died

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mandrel posted:

eh, hobbes and shaw was all rock and it was a black hole of charisma/fun

they've gotten worse since paul died

Paul and his shiteating grin really did keep the franchise together.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
9 was a step up from Hobbes/Shaw and F8 for me. 9 was just a lot of fun with everyone in the cast getting good stuff to do.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just realised I don't have a clue which was the last F&F I saw in full. I know I haven't seen 9; was 8 a rain of drone cars and Dom vs Submarine? Because if so I've only seen bits on a plane even though I own the DVD and drat, has this demented series really hit "yeah, whatever :geno: " point?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Payndz posted:

I just realised I don't have a clue which was the last F&F I saw in full. I know I haven't seen 9; was 8 a rain of drone cars and Dom vs Submarine? Because if so I've only seen bits on a plane even though I own the DVD and drat, has this demented series really hit "yeah, whatever :geno: " point?

Yes, 8 had Cypher hacking all the cars in Manhattan and the submarine at the end.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

All we ask is two more, then everybody can go home. This can't fall apart until the saga concludes gloriously.

Dom is one of the most legendary characters, the Buddha of the road. The Stallone of Street Samurai. I need this to hold together until credits roll on Fast 11. I've got a lot riding on this.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heavy Metal posted:

All we ask is two more, then everybody can go home. This can't fall apart until the saga concludes gloriously.

Dom is one of the most legendary characters, the Buddha of the road. The Stallone of Street Samurai. I need this to hold together until credits roll on Fast 11. I've got a lot riding on this.

Hello Mr. Diesel

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok, here we go, I'm gonna do a giant Vin Instagram style post here.

Y'all know we're family in here. This thread was all about positive vibes, like a cool oasis in a sea of discord. One little story, or a couple, a little backstage drama. The Saga hits a little berg or two. That's it? Game over? No, nah, no. We put that car back on the road and we go up that mountain one more time. Two more times. We're back baby.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m sold. Send those cars driving through a volcano with lava repelling magnets.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Payndz posted:

Eh for me that was when they were dragging a giant safe around the streets. It's entertainment but they're superhero movies now

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

checkplease posted:

9 was a step up from Hobbes/Shaw and F8 for me. 9 was just a lot of fun with everyone in the cast getting good stuff to do.

9 was tonally consistent with the other films (aka it was fun), 8 was not and Hobbs/Shaw is just a very generic by the numbers action movie that happens to have characters we first saw in F&F.

9 was a definite minor reset for me, had it been on the same tone and level of 8 I would have been out on the franchise. 8 is truly a near franchise killer for me it's that bad, I'm only glad I can mostly gloss over it and just go to 9 where they handwave most of 8 anyway.

Truly losing Paul was the end of the peak times for this franchise, 7 might have been the greatest one if he didn't pass. It was really noticeable how they had to cut around him, and they did a great job its a great film, but man what could have been.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As painful as it would have been they should have just killed off Brian. Because as is they now have to keep writing ways around why he isn't helping out. Maybe if they had kept Mia out of the picture it would have worked but they just had to bring her back and so now there's this awkward situation where she's showing up but he isn't.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm low on 8 for all the reasons mentioned, but on a rewatch I actually liked it more than thought. The raining cars part and Terminator Dom was enjoyable and the ice race and submarine battle at the end was fun because the crew was back together.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm low on 8 for all the reasons mentioned, but on a rewatch I actually liked it more than thought. The raining cars part and Terminator Dom was enjoyable and the ice race and submarine battle at the end was fun because the crew was back together.

8's action is mostly fine (i think the actual directing work done is just less interesting than Lin's eye for it), its the character work that is flat out offensive to the entire rest of the franchise. Dom and crew just don't behave like the crew, its mean and unpleasant for the sake of being so in a series that has almost always slanted towards optimism and joy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The only realistic part of 8 was that Dom did not wrap it up and did not know he left a kid behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rita Moreno has been cast as Grandma Toretto because that's exactly what the franchise needs, more characters. They barely have time for any of their current cast.