Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm more into poguelikes these days, you know, celtic punk games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
I gently caress with Poglikes. My Alf slammer rules.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

err posted:

should i get gunfire reborn? how does it compare to risk of rain 2/enter the gungeon?

Gunfire is really fun if you have people to play with. It is a boring slog if you're playing it by yourself--metaprogression is absolutely tuned for multiplayer and not for single player.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

funkmeister posted:

I gently caress with Poglikes. My Alf slammer rules.

He's back, in Pogform now?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's about time I replace my disc copy of Arcanum (it's $2 off today, woohoo!). I take it the patches work fine with the Steam version? I usually go with Steam over GOG for convenience and screenshots.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

OgNar posted:

Recently Humble had a Survival sale.
With games like Division 2, Doom 3, Tombraider and Fallout 3.

These idiots are just throwing genres to the winds these days and putting every game in every genre to boost sales.

A while back they had a Simulator Sale and while a lot of what was on offer was expected like farming/trucking/flight/mechanic sims a full third of the stuff mixed in was anime titty games, it legitimately got a laugh out of me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar posted:

Metal Unit is cool, it's kinda like a Mega Man Zero version of 20XX or something. I found it kinda easy but I didn't feel like that was a bad thing.
I can see what you mean since there's both melee and guns so it is kind of like Megaman (guns) plus Zero (melee) in one, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of difficult platforming or megaman style bosses so I didn't liken it to one.

Cicero posted:

I picked up Unsouled from this because it looked neat and has the same name as the first book of a series I like (Cradle).

It's sort of like if you took an indie action game like Hollow Knight or Hades or Hyper Light Drifter and just made it so the player had to juggle like 3x as many mechanics at a time while fighting. Just 30 minutes in it's already flooded your brain with different combos and random stuff with names like "ghost move". I'm mostly down for it, but I could see your average player bouncing off fast.

Aside from the horrible on ramp, it's fun and the combat system clearly has a lot of depth, and looking at the trailer I'm sure poo poo will get crazy later on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTVPG-CyXk
Thanks for the info, that trailer makes Unsouled look really nice. I especially like the part where the game turns psuedo-3D for a second, like in that cutscene where the player gets knocked into the pillar. It's an interesting effect that these pixel art 2D games don't usually go for.

ultrafilter posted:

The full game is available in EA.
Hmmm I don't see it anywhere for purchase, just the Prologue Demo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Golden Week just started, too; I saw Doraemon: Story of Seasons on sale. Then I checked the reviews, and apparently there's a 1-hour-long intro you can't skip through. :( I just want to chop some wood, raise some animals.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a category now in Steam for "traditional roguelike" if you're looking for something more like what the term used to mean. Of course, now stuff is starting to sneak in there that doesn't belong...

There is a graphical remake of ADOM (just the main dungeon unfortunately) that's p ok

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I just remembered what that scene in the The Stanley Parable reminded me of.

It's Stephen King's story The Jaunt.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

it's may and i would normally put a bunch of screenies of upcoming games but i'm on vacation so NO!!! i'll just type some names of games coming out this month and you can look 'em up yourself!!

I am looking 'em up myself and thank you for putting them on my radar! Have a great vacation!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
How is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? It's currently $13.74 CDN, which seems like an okay price. Does it play acceptably with Mouse/keyboard, or is it very much a controller-required game?

Is there much replay value, in terms of (a)unlocking different powers in different orders, (b)visiting locations in different orders, or (c)being able to take multiple approaches to the same situation or encounter?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 2, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Jack Trades posted:

The Dark Mod is seriously underrated.

I just DLed and installed this.
Looks good but is so janky that I couldnt do multiple things in the manipulating objects tutorial.
Like telling you to get the vase from off the tall pedestal and having rocks on the table.
Implying that I was to throw the rocks and knock it off.
All my rocks are also now on top of the tall pedestal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

How is Star Wars: Fallen Order? Does it play acceptably with Mouse/keyboard, or is it very much a controller-required game?

Is there much replay value, in terms of (a)unlocking different powers in different orders, (b)visiting locations in different orders, or (c)being able to take multiple approaches to the same situation or encounter?

I played it on M/K but I am a mensch and play everything on M/K. Dunno if you've played Sekiro but it's a far easier one of those. It's also very much a third-person metroidvania so while there are alternate paths and shortcuts, and several planets available at any one time, you're heavily gated by your abilities and the game famously goes out of its way to mark the areas you can't go yet on its map. As for powers, I can't quite remember if I had enough points to max out the skill trees but they're not overly expansive and I don't think the game would change much upon replay. Still a fun time tho!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

How is Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order? It's currently $13.74 CDN, which seems like an okay price. Does it play acceptably with Mouse/keyboard, or is it very much a controller-required game?

A lot of people here really hate it but I didn't think it was too bad.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I wished that the middle of the game was as interesting as the beginning and end.

I imagine it'll probably have a few connections with the upcoming Obi-Wan series, since it's set in the same period, but I can't really recommend it unless you're a fan of the new star wars lore.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

err posted:

should i get gunfire reborn? how does it compare to risk of rain 2/enter the gungeon?

Sadly, no. MP is dead. Single player is okay, but the later levels are balanced around MP (or I am just terrible). It was fun while it ran, but I haven’t been able to pug a game in a couple of months.

It’s also one of those games where meta progression is mandatory. There are a bunch of damage boosters, and it’s near impossible to progress without them.

Core gameplay is fine, it’s everything else that’s the problem.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Fallen Order is a perfectly competent game that I really enjoyed while I played it and immediately stopped thinking about the moment I finished it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Wiltsghost posted:

A lot of people here really hate it but I didn't think it was too bad.

A lot of people are idiots. Fallen Order was great for the whole 20 hours but I'd say has zero replayability.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Are there any sort of 'new-ish' Ultima Underworld games out there? There's a bunch with the grid based move system (Grimrock) but I'd love to be able to free roam in first person through a giant RPG dungeon

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There isn't really any replayability but it's a real good game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barreft posted:

Are there any sort of 'new-ish' Ultima Underworld games out there? There's a bunch with the grid based move system (Grimrock) but I'd love to be able to free roam in first person through a giant RPG dungeon

Sounds like you want Arx Fatalis? It's not very new anymore (and most people use a free tool called Arx Liberalis to get it running on modern systems) but the devs where quite explicit about what they where making.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Fallen Order is a perfectly competent game that I really enjoyed while I played it and immediately stopped thinking about the moment I finished it.
This is pretty much the best summary of it. It's a solid B-tier game and good for wasting a few hours playing around with lightsabers. And that's basically it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

what's good this sale for online co op?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mescal posted:

risk of rain 2 is busted all to hell but it's probably the best co-op roguelite out there

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Incidentally, there's a minigame in Yakuza 7 which is literally that transcript- instead of running a hostess club, you become the CEO of a cracker company and spend hours groveling to shareholders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eft74jfwETQ

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jedi Fallen Order has really fun level design and exploration... but the rewards for it suck.

It has some fantastic lightsaber duels against Sekiro-lite bosses... but there's far too few of them.

Fighting humanoid enemies feels great, whether it's mowing down stormtroopers or facing off stronger enemies... but fighting against monster/animal enemies just feels frustrating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Jedi Fallen Order has really fun level design and exploration... but the rewards for it suck.

It has some fantastic lightsaber duels against Sekiro-lite bosses... but there's far too few of them.

Fighting humanoid enemies feels great, whether it's mowing down stormtroopers or facing off stronger enemies... but fighting against monster/animal enemies just feels frustrating.

Once I got my pink poncho/robot/saber/ship ensemble I was basically done caring about any of the collectibles

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

risk of rain 2 is busted all to hell but it's probably the best co-op roguelite out there

got it, but unfortunately it plays for poo poo with controller. i think we're going with Children of Morta

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
One thing I'll add about Fallen Order though: It looks loving great

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have been fighting a persisting lingering migraine* for over a week now. I haven't played anything other than MTG Arena (which I play the same way bored office workers play minesweeper)in that timeframe. I want to play something else. I was playing Triangle Strategy but I feel like I'm about to bounce off that game. I was thinking of buying either Omori or tERRORbane.

*Not like 'consistently in pain'. It just feels like my brain constantly has pressure on it that could threaten to turn into a migraine if I run afoul of any other migraine triggers. So I'm fine, mostly.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you want Arx Fatalis? It's not very new anymore (and most people use a free tool called Arx Liberalis to get it running on modern systems) but the devs where quite explicit about what they where making.

I've played the poo poo out of it unfortunately :/

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

I have been fighting a persisting lingering migraine* for over a week now. I haven't played anything other than MTG Arena (which I play the same way bored office workers play minesweeper)in that timeframe. I want to play something else. I was playing Triangle Strategy but I feel like I'm about to bounce off that game. I was thinking of buying either Omori or tERRORbane.

*Not like 'consistently in pain'. It just feels like my brain constantly has pressure on it that could threaten to turn into a migraine if I run afoul of any other migraine triggers. So I'm fine, mostly.

What chapter are you at in TS?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Faerie Solitaire

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Barreft posted:

What chapter are you at in TS?

15 I think. Maybe 16.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Barreft posted:

I've played the poo poo out of it unfortunately :/
System Shock 1 & 2
Arena
Daggerfall
Thunderscape
Wizards & Warriors
King's Field 1/2/4

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mescal posted:

Vagante.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

While some SE games have probably been outright failures, their expectations have also been ridiculous for a long while. Like, they were expecting COD-level sales for stuff like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

That was literally their board trying to blame other divisions for the complete disaster launch of FF XIV.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone here try Bullets Per Minute ?

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

fit em all up in there posted:

Anyone here try Bullets Per Minute ?

I got it on Humble Choice or something along those lines, put about 3 hours into it, really liked it. Soundtrack carried it a lot of the way though.