Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Willa Rogers posted:

not the criminalization of abortion across the entire country.

I'm super excited for state by state to get a conservative enough government to criminalize and subsequent dems just somehow not managing to do anything about it

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gotta think the leak is to try to make someone back down.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Democrats don’t have a large enough majority in congress to legalize abortion. Have they at any point in the last 50 years?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Who would be backing down and what would motivate them to do so simply by virtue of this leak?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean come on guys you know that the Democratic leadership is popping champagne after getting advanced news of this. I mean this is great for their campaigns right. As the country gets worse and worse they just keep saying vote for me and we will get all these pesky laws gone.

Sad day for women everywhere.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Democrats don’t have a large enough majority in congress to legalize abortion. Have they at any point in the last 50 years?

They absolutely did after 2008. But didn’t do it for ‘reasons…’

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Likely an attempt but Dems will use this to instead prosecute the leaker because a deep level of trust in an “important” institution was threatened.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Actually they do right now. Packing the courts is possible now. Ignoring the Supreme Court is possible right now. But that requires Dems and their supporters to not be on the side of human rights abuse.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

They do right now, by any reasonable interpretation of that sentence. They need 50+1, and they have it, they just don't want to

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

FizFashizzle posted:

why would you ever back down if you hold a lifetime appointment

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’d be nice to believe that Democrats have a plan for dealing with this other than fundraising off of it, but I have no faith left in them.

Maybe this will impel the Democratic congressional majority to finally pass legislation codifying the right to bodily autonomy. :kiddo:

Otherwise Democrats will finally get at least one-third of their longstanding wish that abortion remain "safe, legal & rare."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the yeti posted:

why would you ever back down if you hold a lifetime appointment

Roberts at least, and the powers behind him, realize what this will do.

This might be beyond the pale.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

So a 5-4 ruling that stills rules in favor of human rights abuse?

I’m not following

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Okay, but that just makes it 5/4 in favor of overturning it.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Greetings all. I wanted to warn everyone that we're going to begin ramping probes for this thread a bit. If you've been probated here multiple times before in the past few months, the default will be to give you a day rather than six or twelve like I normally do. We'll also be considering threadbans, though these will not be given lightly or based on any particular formula. Rather we will assess how much someone makes discussion more difficult, more boring or otherwise worse vs. how often they contribute original ideas, interesting facts, and well-structured well-supported arguments.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

The dog has the car bumper firmly in its teeth. It is not going to open its mouth and let it go. Not now. Not for anything.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It would have been neat if the Dems took one of the many chances they had codify abortion rights. Obama promised to start pushing the Freedom of Choice act his first day. Never happened.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/obama-breaks-campaign-promise-to-sign-abortion-bill-immediately

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

FizFashizzle posted:

Our collective lifetimes have been a series of beyond-the-pales and here we are

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I AM GRANDO posted:

Because they are implicit in this. Those rights don't effect congresspeople or senators or whatever. Because at the end of the day they can just fly to another state to get their abortion. It's the low people the small people that this affects. You know people are going to be using that lovely one-liner of "oh jee imagine when a congressman's 16 year old daughter is pregnant!" Because they don't understand class struggle as an idea. This is another right that the capitalist will command and the low person will not have.

They will take your ability to read away if they can. Because it provides a burden to lordship over our body's and minds. They want to capitalize the education system, they want to destroy all unions, they want to take away your body autonomy. They want to get rid of democracy as minute as it stands to be. They don't give a gently caress about you they don't care about your rights they don't care about your ideas of what a country's government should represent. All they care about is increasing their power.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

lol, they haven't even had the will to overturn the Hyde Amendment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Koos Group posted:

Greetings all. I wanted to warn everyone that we're going to begin ramping probes for this thread a bit. If you've been probated here multiple times before in the past few months, the default will be to give you a day rather than six or twelve like I normally do. We'll also be considering threadbans, though these will not be given lightly or based on any particular formula. Rather we will assess how much someone makes discussion more difficult, more boring or otherwise worse vs. how often they contribute original ideas, interesting facts, and well-structured well-supported arguments.

I hope you'll consider taking into account the devastatingly awful news that was just released that is probably going to have people on edge more than normal, because it's incredibly loving awful

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Lemming posted:

I hope you'll consider taking into account the devastatingly awful news that was just released that is probably going to have people on edge more than normal, because it's incredibly loving awful

That would appear to be a reasonable course of action.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Thanks for posting this thoughtful post during this difficult time. If there is one thing we can count on it’s the gentle tone and mindfulness of this community.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This draft opinion dates from February. Were they trying to keep a lid on it until after the midterms?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can’t wait until the second Civil War starts when some blue state refuses to enforce the Fugitive Fetus Act

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

lol, they haven't even had the will to overturn the Hyde Amendment.

The president hasn't had the backbone to say the word "abortion" yet. How can you fight for rights if you refuse to vocalize them?

https://didbidensayabortionyet.org

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1521295411545260035

Decorum?

Decorum!

Dems are definitely going to prosecute the leaker.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Love to live in a country where human rights hinge not only on which party is in power but also which party was in power for long enough and was savvy enough to appoint enough judges to keep loving poo poo up for decades afterwards.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I want to build a shrine to this take

And then piss and poo poo on it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Bitterly lmao that Casey led to the overturning of Roe as some of us predicted three decades ago.

But let the Big Tent prevail!

Alito's draft ruling says that Roe was wrongly decided and that Casey was based on Roe, which made it based on a wrongly decided precedent. He's saying they would have overturned Roe regardless because there is no specific right to privacy in the constitution and the legal arguments made in Roe (that the right to privacy both inherently exists as an implied right and that abortion as a medical procedure was protected under the logic of privacy rights) were faulty.

He specifically calls out Kennedy and O'Connor for "making the court political" by using Casey as a way to cement the wrongly decided Roe.

Youth Decay posted:

This draft opinion dates from February. Were they trying to keep a lid on it until after the midterms?

No, the court will finish its term in June. So, the final decision will be made public in the next month or two.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koos Group posted:

Are we allowed to ask questions about these new policies or do we have to wait 3 months for the mod feedback thread? You and I both know how this works so I will proceed with a question anyway and if you ignore it and threadban me we'll all have our answer. Are interesting facts going to be actually interesting facts, or is this going to end up inevitably codifying length as virtue when posters respond to short, reasoned analysis with a "Nuh uh." and a big list of facts that refute nothing at all, as is common? Should I plan to quote each of those facts and note it as interesting but irrelevant, to prevent such confusion?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean come on guys you know that the Democratic leadership is popping champagne after getting advanced news of this. I mean this is great for their campaigns right. As the country gets worse and worse they just keep saying vote for me and we will get all these pesky laws gone.

Sad day for women everywhere.

I'm gonna agree that I think this is true in terms of what the Democrats will assume, but I think this person is making a good point

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/1521298044918149122

Suddenly, there will actually be *even more* of a reason for Republicans to turn out for elections at every level, because now instead of voting for a state legislature that will fruitlessly make a law that will just get struck down, now they can vote to make abortion illegal for real

So my guess is that this makes things even worse for Democratic election prospects

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Youth Decay posted:

No, SCOTUS decisions just come out in June/July

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

Are we allowed to ask questions about these new policies or do we have to wait 3 months for the mod feedback thread? You and I both know how this works so I will proceed with a question anyway and if you ignore it and threadban me we'll all have our answer. Are interesting facts going to be actually interesting facts, or is this going to end up inevitably codifying length as virtue when posters respond to short, reasoned analysis with a "Nuh uh." and a big list of facts that refute nothing at all, as is common?

I would prefer you ask policy questions to me in private to avoid cluttering the thread. I don't consider length to be a virtue in and of itself, and if someone posted several irrelevant or universally known facts that would be the same as posting nothing at all as far as adding to how much they've contributed.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Alito's draft ruling says that Roe was wrongly decided and that Casey was based on Roe, which made it based on a wrongly decided precedent. He's saying they would have overturned Roe regardless because there is no specific right to privacy in the constitution and the legal arguments made in Roe (that the right to privacy both inherently exists as an implied right and that abortion as a medical procedure was protected under the logic of privacy rights) were faulty.

He specifically calls out Kennedy and O'Connor for "making the court political" by using Casey as a way to cement the wrongly decided Roe.

Casey was the single most important decision in paving the way to overturning Roe, because it allowed states to impose restrictions not contained under Roe and because that led to the current clusterfuck.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Roe vs. Wade was dead the minute Trump won the election in 2016. It doesn't matter which month in 2022 the decision gets released.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lemming posted:

I'm gonna agree that I think this is true in terms of what the Democrats will assume, but I think this person is making a good point

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/1521298044918149122

Suddenly, there will actually be *even more* of a reason for Republicans to turn out for elections at every level, because now instead of voting for a state legislature that will fruitlessly make a law that will just get struck down, now they can vote to make abortion illegal for real

So my guess is that this makes things even worse for Democratic election prospects

Why wouldn't it equally impel Democratic voters to GOTV, though, as many have suggested?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Casey was the single most important decision in paving the way to overturning Roe, because it allowed states to impose restrictions not contained under Roe and because that led to the current clusterfuck.

Alito is specifically saying that Roe was fundamentally wrongly decided and that Casey was a political move to prolong abortion access and avoid a full debate about the Roe ruling. He's explicitly saying that Casey had no impact on the ruling because he would have overturned Roe root and branch regardless because it was so poorly decided.

Willa Rogers posted:

Why wouldn't it equally impel Democratic voters to GOTV, though, as many have suggested?

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1521294952512303106

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Willa Rogers posted:

The growing understanding that the dems are content to do nothing substantial and scold us for wanting better?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Willa Rogers posted:

I guess this isn't based on anything concrete, but I don't think there are as many people motivated by the abortion issue on the Democratic side as on the Republican side. Historically, Democrats have relied on Roe v Wade to take care of any actual abortion issues, and have pretty clearly dropped the ball on every opportunity to pass any legislation protecting it. I guess I just don't see voters giving Democrats as much credibility on staging an effective defense on abortion as much as the voters who think that Republicans will make all of their hosed up theocratic wet dreams coming true, because they've been empirically delivering on that for years at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm pretty sure that even if Casey had not come about, this Court would have found other ways to overturn Roe.