Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s really cemented how utterly useless democrats are and how little they care about anyone. What will they do? A big rally? Have Kamala tell people to vote?

They are going to fundraise harder than you can possibly imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In what way is anything burning down? What does this change? In fact, if anything all this has done is made people sad earlier. One less day of blissful ignorance.

This is, to my knowledge, the first leaked draft opinion there has ever been. SCOTUS does not leak.

That’s what the surprise is about.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since they seem to be going with the "Constitution doesn't specifically say "abortion" argument, I assume we can now expect Thomas to rule that his marriage and right to vote are also unconstitutional, since they're not in there either.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1521296185977417732?s=20&t=-LS1-fMgQvBhfyuJOfus6g

lol, signal to GOP to just ban everything and let it be challenged.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kalman posted:

This is, to my knowledge, the first leaked draft opinion there has ever been. SCOTUS does not leak.

Right but the 'burn it down' sentiment is a result of brain wormed reverence for the institution and polite politics, the leak isn't going to substantially change anything.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Actually it's way more unforgivable to throw women's rights back five decades. We need to go to the streets and make the George Floyd protests look tame by comparison. Force the democrats to prove that they actually believe what they say when they want women's votes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kalman posted:

I'd assume there's a lot of folks who are questioning whether an organization that does stuff like this deserves their respect.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Kaal posted:

I'd assume there's a lot of folks who are questioning whether an organization that does stuff like this deserves their respect.

Call me a pessimist but I don't, those people have had plenty of decisions time to reach a conclusion about that

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kalman posted:

It's a surprise, yes. It's not burning anything down. What meaningful change do you think will come about from this besides at most the leaker being punished severely and the Democrats talking about how important it is that the sanctity of the SCOTUS be preserved and defended, even when we disagree with their judgments?

What do you think this will achieve? How is the world in which someone leaked the SCOTUS' plan to set in motion a federal abortion ban substantially different - let alone better - from the world in which that leak does not happen and people don't find out until the official announcement?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the yeti posted:

Call me a pessimist but I don't, those people have had plenty of decisions time to reach a conclusion about that

this also will be used when scolding folks about 'once again finding something more important than brunch' won't it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Actually it's way more unforgivable to throw women's rights back five decades. We need to go to the streets and make the George Floyd protests look tame by comparison. Force the democrats to prove that they actually believe what they say when they want women's votes.

The problem is that they don’t and they won’t really have a problem with saying so. Can’t wait for Biden to angrily tell protesters that they’re hurting their own cause and are all a bunch of whiners anyway.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Magic Underwear posted:

There response will be "what are you gonna do vote for Republicans? lol"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's a surprise, yes. It's not burning anything down. What meaningful change do you think will come about from this besides at most the leaker being punished severely and the Democrats talking about how important it is that the sanctity of the SCOTUS be preserved and defended, even when we disagree with their judgments?

What do you think this will achieve? How is the world in which someone leaked the SCOTUS' plan to set in motion a federal abortion ban substantially different - let alone better - from the world in which that leak does not happen and people don't find out until the official announcement?

It's a draft opinion, so it could be a Hail Mary attempt by a very angry staffer or by Roberts himself to pressure one or more justices into changing their vote if public outcry is strong enough. There's a 0.00001% chance of that happening but it was worth a shot I guess.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Democrats talking about how important it is that the sanctity of the SCOTUS be preserved and defended, even when we disagree with their judgments?

This does not seem to be the tact taken by all the elected officials I've seen make statements thus far tonight fwiw

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Why would a lifetime appointed judge fear public opinion?
Anyone who cared about what the public thought about them even slightly is not someone who would even slightly consider overturning Roe v Wade.

edit:

sniper4625 posted:

This does not seem to be the tact taken by all the elected officials I've seen make statements thus far tonight fwiw

That's nice. But it still doesn't change that Biden will not pack the courts and nothing meaningful is going to change as a result of this action.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

It's a draft opinion, so it could be a Hail Mary attempt by a very angry staffer or by Roberts himself to pressure one or more justices into changing their vote if public outcry is strong enough. There's a 0.00001% chance of that happening but it was worth a shot I guess.

Changing their vote to what, though? The whole point of a republican majority is to make abortion illegal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

In what way is anything burning down? What does this change? In fact, if anything all this has done is made people sad earlier. One less day of blissful ignorance.

If the Democrats were willing to kill the filibuster so that they could pass things through the Senate, the early leak would give them additional time to draft and pass legislation explicitly encoding a federal right to abortion.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
But they're not and they won't.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

But they're not and they won't.

Correct.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Lol this leaked right as the Met Gala is going on.

Just the most perfect symbolism humanly possible.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Why would a lifetime appointed judge fear public opinion?
Anyone who cared about what the public thought about them even slightly is not someone who would even slightly consider overturning Roe v Wade.

edit:

That's nice. But it still doesn't change that Biden will not pack the courts and nothing meaningful is going to change as a result of this action.

The right wing court is explicitly political. They pretend they aren't, but they are.

A decision to postpone a contentious decision until after an election is well within their playbook.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

For one thing, I fully expect we’ll see more future opinion leaks. For another, it will make the internal atmosphere at the Court a lot more corrosive - if they don’t know who leaked it, then it could have been just about anyone, and the collegiality of the Court will absolutely be harmed (as it should be).

I don’t think you’ll see many Democrats defending this, either.

(E: I don’t think this is the case but by FAR the funniest option would be Breyer being the one who leaked it.)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This RBG’s legacy, and what everyone should remember her for.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If the draft decision is uglier than what they would actually produce then of course it is meaningful. It's laying bare the ugliness of unelected politicians on the supreme court. The SC should be a generally hated institution, like congress. It's hilarious that somehow it remains a respected institution.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TyrantWD posted:

This RBG’s legacy, and what everyone should remember her for.

there's at least several thousand current and former politicians sharing the credit for this as it's been 60 years of erosion, not like someone flipped a switch in 2006 and decided it was time to start kicking the legs out from under reproductive rights.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Kalman posted:

For one thing, I fully expect we’ll see more future opinion leaks. For another, it will make the internal atmosphere at the Court a lot more corrosive - if they don’t know who leaked it, then it could have been just about anyone, and the collegiality of the Court will absolutely be harmed (as it should be).

I don’t think you’ll see many Democrats defending this, either.

(E: I don’t think this is the case but by FAR the funniest option would be Breyer being the one who leaked it.)

How is that meaningful? Who cares if the high priests beholden to no authority save their own have their decrees leaked before they are formally made. What does that change if it happens more often? Like if this act is meaningless besides causing more meaningless acts in the future, it's still meaningless.

Likewise, who cares if the collegiality of the Court is harmed. What does that change? The Republican judges will still do what they do, and the Democrat ones will still do what they do.

I fail to see how the world in which this leak does not happen is different except people are happier in it because they get more happy ignorance.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't imagine anyone who lives outside of the DC bureaucracy/journalism bubble caring about SCOTUS opinions leaking. What's the worst thing that could come out of it? Public outrage forcing the justices to change their stance and reverse the decision? They evidently don't care enough about public opinion to have it sway their own stances.

Plus, it would actually be a good thing if they felt a little bit of pressure for a change.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FAUXTON posted:

there's at least several thousand current and former politicians sharing the credit for this as it's been 60 years of erosion, not like someone flipped a switch in 2006 and decided it was time to start kicking the legs out from under reproductive rights.

And they would have continued to fail had she not been so selfish. She knew what was at stake, and didn’t care, because her she was a self-centered prick who cared more about being an icon for women, than doing everything in her power to protect women’s rights.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Likewise, who cares if the collegiality of the Court is harmed. What does that change? The Republican judges will still do what they do, and the Democrat ones will still do what they do.

I read that as hoping that working relationships would deteriorate and the justices would be more adversarial. I don't really think this would make a difference though personally.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

JordanKai posted:

I can't imagine anyone who lives outside of the DC bureaucracy/journalism bubble caring about SCOTUS opinions leaking. What's the worst thing that could come out of it? Public outrage forcing the justices to change their stance and reverse the decision? They evidently don't care enough about public opinion to have it sway their own stances.

Plus, it would actually be a good thing if they felt a little bit of pressure for a change.

"Conservatives" will use this as proof that "the left" is out to get them and therefore they should get what they want and are entitled to this without any repercussions

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Kalman posted:

maybe they should have considered not allowing abortion bans then.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Mindboggling to see the mental gymnastics here that republicans will benefit from this or not be hurt by this. I don't get it. Women are the reason republicans lose elections.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The leak made the six republican justices uncomfortable.

the yeti posted:

I read that as hoping that working relationships would deteriorate and the justices would be more adversarial.

Right, it will absolutely do this.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The leak made the six republican justices uncomfortable.

Right, it will absolutely do this.

And what is the meaningful consequence of that? What changes? I'd like a concrete answer about how things are in any way different for the average American. If the SCOTUS behaves identically while being more grumpy and unhappy, I don't really think that's a meaningful accomplishment.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Shammypants posted:

Mindboggling to see the mental gymnastics here that republicans will benefit from this or not be hurt by this. I don't get it. Women are the reason republicans lose elections.

Yeah, getting what you want is never a motivator to vote even harder by the side that constantly gets what it wants.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

And what is the meaningful consequence of that? What changes? I'd like a concrete answer about how things are in any way different for the average American. If the SCOTUS behaves identically while being more grumpy and unhappy, I don't really think that's a meaningful accomplishment.

More hardline decisions striking more concrete precedent.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shammypants posted:

this assumes that abortion is a driving motivator for women to vote.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Ok

Not sure what else you're expecting the one person who leaked this (whoever they are) to do by themselves tho

Making Republican politicians uncomfortable is useful. It makes their work harder.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nucleic Acids posted:

Yeah, getting what you want is never a motivator to vote even harder by the side that constantly gets what it wants.

In this case, with the way these things were written, even as a draft, I am extremely comfortable being right and saying women will be galvanized to vote.

Given how everything is going, this is the Christmas Goose come early.

Mooseontheloose posted:

this assumes that abortion is a driving motivator for women to vote.

Um

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok

Not sure what else you're expecting the one person who leaked this (whoever they are) to do by themselves tho

Making Republican politicians uncomfortable is useful. It makes their work harder.

I'm not expecting anything. I'm just saying I don't see how this is some huge victory or 'burning down the house.'
Gaining information about a future event is utterly meaningless if there is no way to prevent or prepare for the event.