Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the teal independents are directly inspired by cathy mcgowan, her successor helen haines, and zali steggall. steggall and mcgowan won their seats because their seats were held by unpopular right-wingers (abbott and sophie mirabella), but it's now inspired people to try the same thing in safe urban liberal seats held by moderate liberals because they feel that the moderate liberals can clearly no longer deliver on issues that matter to them (climate and integrity are the two big ones) as the party has shifted too far to the right.

community groups in all those seats formed "voices of _" groups to decide upon candidates, a platform to support, etc., directly inspired by the same 'voices of indi' and 'voices of warringah' campaign groups that backed mcgowan, haines, and steggall, and these groups have received significant funding from simon holmes a court's climate 200 fund. holmes a court is a wealthy businessman (& billionaire's son) who was a former fundraiser & major donor to frydenberg until falling out with the liberals over climate policy, and responded by throwing money at haines, stegall, and sharkie in the 2019 election. he's expanding his spending & fundraising significantly at this election to support independents who are strong on climate & integrity issues, including all the 'teal independents'. climate 200 is also advised by a ton of familiar faces - tony windsor, kerryn phelps, rob oakeshott, meg lees, and john hewson.

if you look at their actual policies, some of them are running firmly to the left of labor on a lot of issues - even things like a jobkeeper increase - but they're generally more middling on economics. they would probably not have too much trouble fitting into the labor party if they really wanted to (& some could probably even fit into the greens) but that's an obvious no-go for winning most of these seats due to tribalism.

https://twitter.com/theheraldsun/status/1521278373858734080

lih fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the explanation. I thought the teals were just a new other that they can blame losing the election on

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
They will do that anyway, Josh Frydenberg is spending most of his time right now whinging about Monique Ryan and he hasn’t even lost yet.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/Ageinvestigates/status/1521316343164801024

BRS trial apparently reaching new extremes every day

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Viral moment? salmonella is a bacteria.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Why is the curry white. Literally never seen a curry even close to that colour

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Zenithe posted:

He likes his curry like he likes his population.

Bland and white.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving up cooking a curry probably just makes him more relatable to the rest of the population. Really fits his daggy dad image.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zenithe posted:

That’s what curry looks like when you’re afraid of all the ingredients that actually go in a curry so it ends up being mostly coconut milk.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Coconut milk stir fry

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Seemlar posted:

We are well and truly in the Starship Troopers "it's afraid!" stage

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zenithe posted:

Laksa?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
25bps increase, more than expected. Bye Scotty I guess?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Laksa has colour in it

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

A malaysian somewhere just took psychic damage

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

JBP posted:

Laksa has colour in it

True..

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Zenithe posted:

Colourful curry is too spicy for him

He had to wash the chicken korma down with some milk it burnt his tongue so much

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
chicken korma is about the right amount of spice for me tbh

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

Libs better economic managers. Had to happen. Cant trust ALP in this political climate.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
See, this is what you can expect under a Labor government. Not even in power yet and already we're suffering.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
So.... As a non home owner the interest rate rise is good for me right? I.e. cost of living of other items should come down?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Why can't my curry be coloured white
I should talk to my culinary teacher
Coloured curry is just not right

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So.... As a non home owner the interest rate rise is good for me right? I.e. cost of living of other items should come down?

Ahhh. No. General cost of living is going to go up, potentially dramatically. You will get better rates on savings accounts (if banks pass the rate along lol). Lending will get tighter for new businesses and projects as well which could restrict the economy somewhat when it comes to new employers and stuff. Businesses servicing existing loans will likely have to pass on the repayments to customers along with higher wages and their other outgoings.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Every Labor government has dealt with a rat hosed economy, but here's to Scomo sooking for the rest of the campaign.

Comedy option, Liberals win with Frydenberg losing his seat.

At least good news is Michael Cannon-Brooks bought up a heap of AGL shares to become largest shareholder, maybe he can finally start to unfuck that problem.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

snickothemule posted:

Every Labor government has dealt with a rat hosed economy, but here's to Scomo sooking for the rest of the campaign.

Comedy option, Liberals win with Frydenberg loses his seat

At least good news is Michael Cannon-Brooks bought up a heap of AGL shares to become largest shareholder, maybe he can finally start to unfuck that problem.

Hate to rely on rich tech dude to do anything when it comes to power but he's better than the alternatives I suppose.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

interest rates going up increases the value of cash money, so if you have lots of cash money then it's pretty good, of course the interest rate increases would need to outpace inflation to reverse the cost of living expenses, so all this really does is slow the raise in cost of living until they fiddle with number a few more times and the cost of inputs into making goods & services available also decreases so as to allow price cuts to the consumer to be enacted. This happens when demand falls and sellers need to compete for cash so they cut into their margins in order to increase turnover.

thus the answer is no

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

wait hang on i have a better answer now

Zenithe posted:

he's a white supremacist lmao

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

JBP posted:

Hate to rely on rich tech dude to do anything when it comes to power but he's better than the alternatives I suppose.

Same tbh, I'm ready to invest in the green boom but if we have to rely on rich hippies to make things less bad thems the breaks.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

interest rates going up increases the value of cash money, so if you have lots of cash money then it's pretty good, of course the interest rate increases would need to outpace inflation to reverse the cost of living expenses, so all this really does is slow the raise in cost of living until they fiddle with number a few more times and the cost of inputs into making goods & services available also decreases so as to allow price cuts to the consumer to be enacted. This happens when demand falls and sellers need to compete for cash so they cut into their margins in order to increase turnover.

thus the answer is no

Hmm interesting. I thought the point was that if people have to make higher mortgage repayments they have less to spend on goods and services, thus demand for goods and services comes down curbing inflation and prices consequently decrease?

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
White curries are actually a thing but his curry looks like food court carbonara. Kind of impressive how bad he is at everything.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jeffreyw posted:

White curries are actually a thing but his curry looks like food court carbonara.

Food court carbonara is still probably too spicy for him.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

frydenberg was the most popular liberal to be pm pick with non liberals so it makes sense theyre freaking out about him losing his seat, which would be very funny were it to happen. obviously everybody knows the law of politic-dynamics tells us good things happening is impossible but an often overlooked nuance is that localized good things can happen in exchange for a greater increase in bad things happening in the overall system. so who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Hmm interesting. I thought the point was that if people have to make higher mortgage repayments they have less to spend on goods and services, thus demand for goods and services comes down curbing inflation and prices consequently decrease?
You're not wrong, it all contributes, here's the RBA's explanation:

https://www.rba.gov.au/education/resources/explainers/australias-inflation-target.html

The problem being the RBA is going to slowly increase the interest rate and have also potentially started it too late. If inflation is outpacing the control of interest rates consumer prices still rise, and inflation is heading to 5% or higher due to global economic factors (russian oil ban, spiking prices, astronomical shipping costs, and global inflation, probably lots of commodities/raw materials in general as well), if these issues are resolved then being cautious with your rate rises is a good thing, if you're wrong things get worse.

The RBA targets 2-3% and they were slow to pull the trigger on a rate hike for a bunch of reasons, mainly they see the current situation as temporary, and Australian households are heavily indebted.

So the choice is basically either keep money cheap and hope wages go up enough to keep pace with inflation, which they can't do because they would be shirking their target of 2-3% by letting it go out of control, or put pressure on the incredibly debt laden homes of Australia to curb their spending and risk people defaulting on loans. So they can't go too hard but they also can't do nothing as much as they have preferred the do nothing option.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Mola Yam posted:

Philip Lowe sends his regards.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

a rate rise of .25% is standard i guess but i was thinking it might be .15% and hoping for .4%

having a cash rate of .35% just feels weird to me

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I have bad news, and bad news.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I think I was like 21 last time rates went up. Is this an unusually big jump? Isn't it normally up or down by 0.05% or 0.10%?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Haha, I love this guy they put in the ABC article for balance:

quote:

Savers rejoice
But not everyone is worried.

Retiree Grant Agnew is currently receiving just 1.09 per cent interest on his savings. He is one of around two-thirds of the population without a mortgage who are quite happy to see interest rates rise from record lows.

"I get no return on my money. Other people are allowed to borrow it, but I'm not allowed to get anything from them for it," he told The Business.

"I want the interest rates to go up so that I can get a decent return on my money.

"I want them to go up over 20 per cent, like they did three times in the 1980s. Life was beautiful, money fell from the sky."

Where's the guillotine gif when you need it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

I think I was like 21 last time rates went up. Is this an unusually big jump? Isn't it normally up or down by 0.05% or 0.10%?

Nah, this is pretty standard. We've just dropped by .1% because there's no where left to fall to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

freebooter posted:

Not quite unusual for basis point movements, but facing a climb to 1.5% at Christmas and close to 3 in 2023 is what is going to hurt regular folks most. We're also used to a decade of relative ease for interest and inflation while policy has been geared to kick us hard in the balls for when it does come (which is now).

Go too hard in a short term is bad for inciting a recession, having cheap money and ballistic spending also bad for inflation.

Keating was slammed for his performance in the 90s but that was on the back of a major structural change to our country, going from bumpkins to being more or less in line with the OECD standard.

Rudd faced a colossal fuckup with American finance groups (amongst a host of other things) causing a major total wave of hell that the world is still struggling with. But he managed to keep activity up, unemployment down and inflation in check. We were at the top of the OECD as a result.

Now, we have a problem with a mangled tax policy, Liberals brushing off all the "failures" they criticised so heavily, but the economy is geared so poorly to favour those with housing portfolios and a severe weakening of public services, on top of record debt, that to change it to properly address the issue is going to be painful and long term.

Now we are so far down in the OECD with some really lovely structural problems that a position like a green energy reform will most likely get us through the decade, if it kicks off correctly. On current trajectory it's not looking good, especially with high household debt and horiffic housing market.