Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there any kind of standard with soundbars that allow you to choose EQ settings via the tv remote when connected via arc? I’m looking for a new one and would like one that would let me just use one remote.

Also does anyone know if there’s a quicker way to switch between backlight settings on Roku TV OS?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Not a Children posted:

Man the LG oled is amazing but their user interface is the hottest garbage I’ve ever experienced in a tv

Just switched from LG to Samsung, and IMO, Samsung is worse. At least LG clearly show which modes are for HDR and which for SDR. And LG's interface isn't as slow as poo poo.

If it wasn't for the fact that the picture looks amazing, I'd be regretting it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Once I got a fire stick I never ever ever touch the LG interface again. Well worth it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

codo27 posted:

And Samsung is a legit bad TV (or at least bad value)

Yeah I'm picking up on that more and more as the years go by.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

codo27 posted:

It bothers me so much that they are king poo poo of TVs because I've always viewed them as a second rate company.

I really miss my LG 47” 3D tv. Wife had a Pinterest party and one of her friends kid smashed it. Replaced it with a 46” Samsung which was never as good and died within 2 years. Very sad. The picture and sound on the lg were really good.

Edit: forgot to mention that with the Samsung you could not just press a button to turn on 3D mode; you had to go through like 4 menus. Inferior to the lg in every way.

otter fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 26, 2022

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I actually don't mind the LG interface. Point remote at the app you want and it launches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s probably stupid to buy a tv based on the os but I really prefer Roku. I primary just game and YouTube so it’s nice to not see a row of streaming shows/movies I’ll never watch whenever I turn my tv on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s probably stupid to buy a tv based on the os but I really prefer Roku. I primary just game and YouTube so it’s nice to not see a row of streaming shows/movies I’ll never watch whenever I turn my tv on.

You can have it not default to the home screen. I turn mine on and can hit one of the quick launch buttons at the bottom of the remote or hold 1 for Plex and it'll quick launch. You could set up the same thing for yt or any other app. My other tv has a Roku and while I do like the interface I don't really miss it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Android is the only sensible TV platform solely because of casting. And its android so its still not good.

Roku is clean and effective but just not enough customization, and the app and theme stores are an absolute joke. You really oughta go and look through the available screensavers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

codo27 posted:

Android is the only sensible TV platform solely because of casting. And its android so its still not good.

They might have gotten better in the last three years. I haven't had any problems with my H9G/Q9G since factory resetting it some months back.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

codo27 posted:

Roku is clean and effective but just not enough customization, and the app and theme stores are an absolute joke. You really oughta go and look through the available screensavers.

It’s got a Twin Peaks season 3 theme. What more can you ask for? :v:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

They might have gotten better in the last three years. I haven't had any problems with my H9G/Q9G since factory resetting it some months back.

You had to factory reset it though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

codo27 posted:

You had to factory reset it though

That's true with everything that uses Android though, including phones.

"Always factory reset after the newest letter/dessert update on Android."
That rule has never changed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't had to do that in like half a decade.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Edit: moved to Cutting Cable thread.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 28, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Annoyingly, though unsurprisingly, the 42" C2 is out of stock everywhere already.

I'm not quite ready for it yet so hopefully this is only a temporary blip and my room rearrangement plans are pushed back further since I broke my elbow Monday. Hopefully by the time I can finish my new office setup, it'll be back in stock.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I want a TV for the bedroom. Have my fancy OLED setup in the basement, just kind of want any TV that fits on our dresser.

Looking at a 32" TCL Roku TV. Is it worth paying $178 more for a 1080p version, or $158 for the 720p version? I'm thinking you probably can't tell the difference at that size, right?

I also noticed that you can add on the Alto soundbar to the 720p version for $70 more. Are those garbage or worth it for a notable upgrade? I saw that Roku sells wireless speakers, but for $150 it seems kind of dumb to spend as much on the speakers as the TV. But then again, I thought we could put them on the night stands and be able to keep the volume a bit lower and use them as front speakers, but to the side of us?

TV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F981R8M/
Sound Bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099Z7K3N7/
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086192LQD/

I guess when you buy this cheap it doesn't really matter, but I trust you guys more than some random online review

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 2, 2022

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Well, after two or three years of thinking about it, I finally bought an OLED. Got a 55" C1 on the way, looking forward to pairing it with a PS5. Since I'll be handling most of my media playback through that, I plan to keep the TV itself off my network for the most part. How important is it to keep the firmware up to date on these?

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 2, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Feedbacker posted:

How important is it to keep the firmware up to date on these?

Less so now but during the CX era there were significant features added and bugs fixed via firmware, it's worth doing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Feedbacker posted:

How important is it to keep the firmware up to date on these?
I have a B9 model and they added in the Instant Game Mode from.newer models a little while back. Small but appreciated addition.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Astro7x posted:

So I want a TV for the bedroom. Have my fancy OLED setup in the basement, just kind of want any TV that fits on our dresser.

Looking at a 32" TCL Roku TV. Is it worth paying $178 more for a 1080p version, or $158 for the 720p version? I'm thinking you probably can't tell the difference at that size, right?

I also noticed that you can add on the Alto soundbar to the 720p version for $70 more. Are those garbage or worth it for a notable upgrade? I saw that Roku sells wireless speakers, but for $150 it seems kind of dumb to spend as much on the speakers as the TV. But then again, I thought we could put them on the night stands and be able to keep the volume a bit lower and use them as front speakers, but to the side of us?

TV: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F981R8M/
Sound Bar: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099Z7K3N7/
Speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086192LQD/

I guess when you buy this cheap it doesn't really matter, but I trust you guys more than some random online review

I have a 32" monitor that's 1080p. In my opinion, 720p will be noticeably worse.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Called the local best buy to see if they had a G2 on the wall they said yet. Drove the 30mins, went to the TV department.. Nope, no G2 on the wall... Wtf... Also going from 77 inch to 83 adds 2,300 wtf

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I could be wrong in my reasoning, but I would go with the 1080p, specifically because most content is 1080p. A 1080p playing 1080p content is going to look better than a 1080p TV that needs to do some sort of software conversion and take a 1080p signal and turn it into 720p.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Don't buy anything 720p in 2022 that's wild - you can get that from craigslist/FB marketplace for free or just dig one out of a thrift store or the trash.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I have a general use HDR question.

I have an LG CX and picked up a Chromecast with Google TV earlier today. The video format defaulted to Dolby Vision (a thing I didn't realize my TV could display). It didn't look great for most of the stuff I put on the tv. I guess it's doing fake HDR with some adjustments for standard content?

I've kept the PS5 set up to display SDR stuff without HDR and HDR stuff in HDR. I read recently that there's a setting called Dynamic Tone Mapping in there that uses HDR brightness but adjusts so the picture doesn't look blown out. Do any of you run an HDR capable TV with the HDR going all of the time with a setup like this? I've thought of this because my AV receiver loses the connection sometimes when switching HDR on and off.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
So I'm moving across the country in a few days and need to order a new TV. I'd like to get a 4k tv >= 65 inches that meets at least one of the following criteria:

1) No smart features: I'm never going to use the smart features anyway and will go to obscene lengths to disable them if I have to. I think this limits me to Sceptre if I want to avoid commercial displays so I'll probably get this even though it's not supposed to be great if I go down this route.

2) No microphones or cameras: A TV with an easy-to-disable camera / microphone would work too I guess. Probably only going to find commercial displays that satisfy this criterion.

3) No wifi: Don't really care if the TV has smart features, cameras, or microphones so long as I can make sure it's air gapped. Would also settle for a TV with a wifi module that's easy to remove/ground.

Max budget is around $1500. Obviously more features (better HDR, higher refresh rate, etc) would be nice but I'm OK paying a premium for a lower quality TV that is just-a-drat-TV. I couldn't find any computer monitors >50ish inches but if anyone's aware of one I'd be open to that. Would also be OK with a projector setup if I could find a decent one for that price that meets the criteria.

I'm looking at this 65 inch LG US340C orand this NEC E658 in terms of commercial displays, but since they aren't consumer models it's hard to find reviews to decide between them.

Advice/suggestions? I'm leaning towards the commercial displays since I'm worried it will be totally impossible to buy a TV that respects my basic privacy / security in a few years and they're likely to last a while.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get a good smart TV, don't join it to your home wifi, don't use any of the smart apps. Problem solved.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Get a good smart TV, don't join it to your home wifi, don't use any of the smart apps. Problem solved.

This is exactly right.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Literally get any streaming dongle and never use your TV apps or input. I have a custom home screen on my Shield with no ads.

I filled in the microphone hole on the TV remote with a dot of glue. I think that solves the privacy concern.

For WiFi, as long as you don't have any neighbors with an open WiFi network it should never be able to phone home. You could also take off the back of the TV and remove the WiFi module before mounting it. Maybe.

All of these fixes a pain in the rear end that should never have to happen, but any TV worth a drat is gonna have these features.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I have a friend who got some Samsung (I forget the model) and his TV kept connecting to a neighbor's open wifi network. Is that just a weird Samsung thing? It's not like TV makers are open about "hey this is going to try to jack your neighbor's wifi because we REALLY need your data" so I couldn't really tell from reading spec sheets whether other makers do that. I'd be pretty happy if I could just avoid Samsung and know that the TV won't try to phone home through someone else's wifi.

Right now I keep my two TCLs on a segregated extremely-locked-down separate network (pi-hole, custom firewall rules, etc) because they kept pestering me to connect to wifi. Took me hours of sitting in front of WireShark to figure out what I could lock down and keep the smart tv poo poo working. I don't wanna have to do that again.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Literally get any streaming dongle and never use your TV apps or input. I have a custom home screen on my Shield with no ads.

I filled in the microphone hole on the TV remote with a dot of glue. I think that solves the privacy concern.

For WiFi, as long as you don't have any neighbors with an open WiFi network it should never be able to phone home. You could also take off the back of the TV and remove the WiFi module before mounting it. Maybe.

All of these fixes a pain in the rear end that should never have to happen, but any TV worth a drat is gonna have these features.

Unfortunately I'm moving to an apartment so I can't control the open wifi thing. Glue is probably easier than desoldering though so I guess that'll make life easier.

Are wifi modules typically removable in modern TVs? I've never opened up a TV before but I assumed they just shoved everything into a SOC like most consumer electronics these days. I guess I should just search around for teardowns on youtube to find one where I can rip the wifi out?

TBH privacy is only half of the reason I'm doing this. All the ISPs at my new place have bandwidth caps and between the ads and telemetry poo poo my current TVs were eating up a few GB/month before I locked everything down.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Yes the feasibility of removing the wifi will vary from model to model, but I have heard of it being done successfully. Some are even built to be replaceable, but I'm not sure on specific model numbers. In some cases, the internal wifi antenna can be unplugged, which would make the wifi signal unable to pass through a wall. Youtube would be a good place to poke around I think. Using a pihole or your router settings to block the TV from the internet completely works well, but keep in mind that firestick, chromecast, etc are up to the same bullshit of poking around for open wifi networks to beam data home too. I'm not sure if there's tiers of egregiousness of privacy violations based on company, but unless you're completely physical bluray/dvd or sailing the seven seas full time with LAN streaming only, somebody is gonna gobble up your data somehow.

A Bag of Milk fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 3, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

(...) keep in mind that firestick, chromecast, etc are up to the same bullshit of poking around for open wifi networks to beam data home too. I'm not sure if there's tiers of egregiousness of privacy violations based on company, but unless you're completely physical bluray/dvd or sailing the seven seas full time with LAN streaming only, somebody is gonna gobble up your data somehow.

Yeah I realize I'm probably going to have to accept some of my data getting gobbled up. I'm probably going to try a home theater linux distro for more control but if that doesn't work out I'll settle for an Apple TV. (I haven't checked but Apple is pretty anal about security so I'd assume their stuff doesn't connect to random wifi networks without prompting).

I really don't care if some company knows which dumb anime I'm streaming / which dumb reality TV my wife is streaming or whatever. It just strikes me as absolutely insane to put an internet-enabled microphone and camera connected device that maybe sometimes (let's be real: basically never) receives security patches and beams who-knows-what to who-knows-where in my living room.

(I can sort of see the utility for a microphone if you use home assistants but why the hell do some TVs have cameras these days?)

I'm probably being a little paranoid but I really don't think it's that excessive. Like, if it's smart to use a webcam cover or a hardware-level microphone LED indicator on your computer then doesn't it also make sense to want the same security for your TV? I imagine that most people are way more likely to be naked/have sex/do drugs/etc on their living room couch than they are in front of their work laptops but maybe I'm wrong.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What TVs include cameras and mics these days?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

My LG has a mic on the remote for voice control, never used it though

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Gnumonic posted:

I'm probably being a little paranoid but I really don't think it's that excessive. Like, if it's smart to use a webcam cover or a hardware-level microphone LED indicator on your computer then doesn't it also make sense to want the same security for your TV? I imagine that most people are way more likely to be naked/have sex/do drugs/etc on their living room couch than they are in front of their work laptops but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm just ribbing you a little, it's a genuine concern and hard to counter fully.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

fyallm posted:

Also going from 77 inch to 83 adds 2,300 wtf

Lets be real here. If we could all add a few extra inches for ~$400 a pop, we'd do it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What TVs include cameras and mics these days?

There are a few with cameras, but it's not common. Mics in the TV itself are somewhat common on Android or Fire TV built-in sets which often support their respective assistants. Mics on the remote are very common, but not really a major privacy concern because they just don't have the battery to be active all the time. They listen when you tell them to listen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Right. Samsung/LG overplayed their hand and people found out the screen-mounted cams and mics were Always On.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Does anyone here have a C2 yet? Worth the extra money over a C1? This would be my first OLED.