Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

ive become certain that refined sugar is poison. its insane how easily you can trim down by just literally never eating candy or junk food. a little roll of hostess donettes or w/e are like 9999999 calories

Yeah I've gone low carb (not really keto because I don't keep my fat/protein macros in a keto ratio but I do keep net carbs under 20 a day) and religiously avoid refined sugars and it's led to:
less appetite, making dieting easier
significant weight loss
Just in general feeling better (the last time I had heartburn, for example, was around Christmas when I wasn't giving a gently caress)

I'm reading a book called The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes and one of the more interesting things in it so far is how sugar insinuated its way into our diet. For one thing, as we refined flour more and more, the yeast stopped being able to do anything because it had no fuel, so we started adding sugar to the baking process. That's why white bread can have so much goddamn sugar in it.

Then, when we went on the "dietary fat is bad for you!" kick, it was discovered that taking fat out of things also removed all the flavor, so sugar was added in to compensate. That's how you get extremely stupid poo poo like a pack of gummy bears being marketed as "a fat free food"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I love a snickers for exactly snowbording or cross country skiing because it stays cold in your pocket and is actually satisfying hunger-wise unlike all the garbage candies that trick your body into stuffing a trillion calories into you. One bar and you’ve got fuel for nearly an entire day

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's not rocket fuel. if all you eat is snickers, you need like 12 bars a day if you're exercising

if you want protein just eat a payday :getin:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

it's not rocket fuel. if all you eat is snickers, you need like 12 bars a day if you're exercising

if you want protein just eat a payday :getin:

I got some protein you can suck out of a little tube.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
you never hear about castor oil any more

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is the term "fatty acids" cancelled

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

acids of heft

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah I've gone low carb (not really keto because I don't keep my fat/protein macros in a keto ratio but I do keep net carbs under 20 a day) and religiously avoid refined sugars and it's led to:
less appetite, making dieting easier
significant weight loss
Just in general feeling better (the last time I had heartburn, for example, was around Christmas when I wasn't giving a gently caress)

I'm reading a book called The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes and one of the more interesting things in it so far is how sugar insinuated its way into our diet. For one thing, as we refined flour more and more, the yeast stopped being able to do anything because it had no fuel, so we started adding sugar to the baking process. That's why white bread can have so much goddamn sugar in it.

Then, when we went on the "dietary fat is bad for you!" kick, it was discovered that taking fat out of things also removed all the flavor, so sugar was added in to compensate. That's how you get extremely stupid poo poo like a pack of gummy bears being marketed as "a fat free food"

Gary Taubes is a quack. He is a cholesterol denier and slanders doctors and scientists instead of actually engaging them. His been humiliated by fund raising a study that was supposed to support low-carb diets increased fat loss but actually showed that it slowed down fat loss. But not before pocketing millions of dollars of his donors money in executive compensation. You can read all about his misunderstandings here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/gary-taubes-and-the-cause-of-obesity/

Basically, the only thing he gets right is that processed foods are bad.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Michael Greger's "how not to die" books are probably a better source if you want to avoid processed stuff.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Michael Greger's "how not to die" books are probably a better source if you want to avoid processed stuff.

this

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You want me to eat the book? Okay

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

FacelessVoid posted:

Gary Taubes is a quack. He is a cholesterol denier and slanders doctors and scientists instead of actually engaging them. His been humiliated by fund raising a study that was supposed to support low-carb diets increased fat loss but actually showed that it slowed down fat loss. But not before pocketing millions of dollars of his donors money in executive compensation. You can read all about his misunderstandings here: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/gary-taubes-and-the-cause-of-obesity/

Basically, the only thing he gets right is that processed foods are bad.

*shrug* maybe so but low carb is literally the only thing that's ever worked for me so I'll stick with it and avoid sugar

What I've come to learn, personally, is that you do definitely have to restrict calories to lose weight; that whole "eat all the fat and protein you want in the right ratios and you'll just magically thin up and your appetite will be controlled" doesn't seem to be true for me. But low carb makes calorie restrictions possible for me, and eating refined sugar makes me hungry as hell no matter how much I stuff in my gob.

So maybe I won't take his word for it, necessarily, but nothing in the sugar book so far strikes me as unreasonable and I think it might be something he's right about even if it's accidentally.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

*shrug* maybe so but low carb is literally the only thing that's ever worked for me so I'll stick with it and avoid sugar

What I've come to learn, personally, is that you do definitely have to restrict calories to lose weight; that whole "eat all the fat and protein you want in the right ratios and you'll just magically thin up and your appetite will be controlled" doesn't seem to be true for me. But low carb makes calorie restrictions possible for me, and eating refined sugar makes me hungry as hell no matter how much I stuff in my gob.

So maybe I won't take his word for it, necessarily, but nothing in the sugar book so far strikes me as unreasonable and I think it might be something he's right about even if it's accidentally.

Not trying to dunk on you or anything. A lot of people have success on low-carb diets. But I think there are health risks associated with it people should be aware of that characters like Taubes deny. Glad it's working for you.

Sincere question though--why do you need to go low-carb to avoid refined sugar? Does eating an apple make you tear into potato chips a minute later?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

FacelessVoid posted:

Not trying to dunk on you or anything. A lot of people have success on low-carb diets. But I think there are health risks associated with it people should be aware of that characters like Taubes deny. Glad it's working for you.

Sincere question though--why do you need to go low-carb to avoid refined sugar? Does eating an apple make you tear into potato chips a minute later?

I guess I don't consider an apple refined sugar? And no, eating apples is fine and I can fit some of that into low carb. I have lately been deserting with raspberries in a low-cal whipped topping, for example. It's just that if I try to work serious carbs in (bread, hamburger buns, chips, whatever) all of a sudden my appetite explodes and I cannot keep to calorie counts because I constantly feel hungry. This then ultimately ends up with me giving up and chowing on the worst poo poo imaginable. I'm a recovering alcoholic and the behavior around that kind of food ultimately mirrors how I behaved with booze, weirdly. Maybe that ultimately is the processed food thing but for me it's the feeling of satiety that low carb gives me that allows me to stick to the calorie counts.

e: I didn't explain this well let me try again

If I ate a "normal" diet that was like 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein, my appetite would be such that I would not be able to restrict calories with that ratio very well because I would be hungry all the time, which would wear down my willpower, which would cause bad decisions and exacerbate that problem. Eating as I currently am, which is < 10% carbs, at least 100g of protein a day (I weight lift and am trying to lose as little muscle as possible while dieting) and the rest fat, I do not have this issue and have been quite easily fitting under my aggressive, lose two pounds a week calorie restriction (and usually finish under that by hundreds of calories at the end of the week). So apples or raspberries or such carbs as fit under that limit in small doses are fine but if I started trying to fit hamburgers in my diet it'd be bad times.

fast cars loose anus has issued a correction as of 21:03 on May 2, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
yesterday I ate 1x sardines on crackers and today I’ve had a salad and will prob eat 1x chicken breast tonight lol. one weird trick big diet industry doesn’t want you to know: don’t eat. simple.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

yesterday I ate 1x sardines on crackers and today I’ve had a salad and will prob eat 1x chicken breast tonight lol. one weird trick big diet industry doesn’t want you to know: don’t eat. simple.

you mean a can of sardines, right?

right?!?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

a primate posted:

right?!?

can i use sardine oil to season my cast iron cookware?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Malleum posted:

can i use sardine oil to season my cast iron cookware?

nah but you can sardeez nuts

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i quit drinking a few weeks ago and my appetite is insane. i need a suppresant lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

ive become certain that refined sugar is poison. its insane how easily you can trim down by just literally never eating candy or junk food. a little roll of hostess donettes or w/e are like 9999999 calories. a snickers is like 2 meals worth of poo poo. if you're gonna eat one you gotta basically fast for the rest of the day. just imo

I thought this too for a long time because of history of native populations getting fat when refined flour and sugar was introduced but other populations like the french were smashing flour and sugar and remaining slim for basically all of time. they seem to be getting a bit fatter now, whether it's seed oils or some other environmental factor remains to be seen

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fart simpson posted:

speaking of good btus, cast iron, and steaks though, i get a good sear on my steaks

https://i.imgur.com/z9rXx1t.mp4

that thing got a hemi?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lmao that guy looks old and frail as gently caress. slim though, guess if you want to look like a diseased skeleton you can follow his stuff.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

does that 109 year old buddhist monk that went viral a few months ago eat nut and seed oil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNj_nOXHsMc

this dude right here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cowboy beepboop posted:

lmao that guy looks old and frail as gently caress. slim though, guess if you want to look like a diseased skeleton you can follow his stuff.

computer touchers should stay in the computer touching forum

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

"im so tired of people pretending theres a difference between naturally occurring sugar and refined sugar"

why

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

a primate posted:

right?!?

yes 1 tin of sardine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

I thought this too for a long time because of history of native populations getting fat when refined flour and sugar was introduced but other populations like the french were smashing flour and sugar and remaining slim for basically all of time. they seem to be getting a bit fatter now, whether it's seed oils or some other environmental factor remains to be seen

thats true and is a big think....

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Micro plastic diet. Microplastic intermittent fasting. Microplastic veganism. Microplastic vegetarianism. Microplastic trophic cascade. Microplastic refinery production. Microplastic artificial flavoring. Microplastic oupcycling. Microplastic juice cleanse

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im getting thin again.............

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

a lot of the reporting around obesity in the us is just pure pseudo science, a lot of studies start with the conclusion that looking like a greek statue = health and then work backwards from there with a level of subjugating math to the need of ideology that even a chicago school economist would describe as heavy-handed

Platystemon posted:

Palm oil has fatty acids with longer chain lengths and a high proportion of them are unsaturated.

this is cool and good post

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think like those pre-contact african tribal villages are what default settings homo sapiens look like. its crazy that dudes like that and john cena are the same species. i stood next to lebron once and it blew my mind that we were the same animal more or less

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Smythe posted:

yes 1 tin of sardine

try kipper snacks imo

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Tulip posted:

a lot of the reporting around obesity in the us is just pure pseudo science, a lot of studies start with the conclusion that looking like a greek statue = health and then work backwards from there with a level of subjugating math to the need of ideology that even a chicago school economist would describe as heavy-handed

Uhm, no. Try again sweaty. The axiom is that the obese suffer higher amounts of mortality, High blood pressure (hypertension), High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (dyslipidemia), Type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, stroke, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint), sleep apnea and breathing problems, many types of cancer, mental illness such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders and body pain and difficulty with physical functioning than the non-obese population.

Or is all that a conspiracy "they" want you to believe?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Obesity is simultaneously a fun & harmless lifestyle choice and also a tragic consequence of childhood trauma beyond ones control

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tulip posted:

this is cool and good post
lol wtf is this poo poo

theres's a big difference between some mythological greek and what ppl used to look like

vs

its a sociological (lots of work, car culture, fear of walking, tons of sugar in everything, cheap processed junk being easier than alternatives when you work all the time, etc.) and pollution problem (microplastics, phtlates and other edcs), not pseudo-science.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:21 on May 3, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I had heard moving it about could scratch the surface, not that I'm constantly sliding my pans around but they do move from time to time

ive used cast iron on our rented glasstop electric stove and never scratched it once. i mean it helps that the surface was already scraped up some by the previous tenant

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Front row, 2nd from right is smouldering :stwoon:

What uniforms are those though, I don't recognize them

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I love those guys who will post an old photograph or even painting or cartoon or whatever and go "you don't see people like this around anymore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

No danger of running out of guts