Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did Arnold Freeze say "Fortune favors... the COLD" or did I dream that?

Hmm, maybe I did?
https://youtu.be/x3nGLx77LwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

They tricked all us kids into thinking the marketing was gonna be worth a poo poo and I kept these boxes for a few years. :lol:

They were textured too - rub the nips.

I never noticed it before, but with the molded Grecco-Roman abs design of the suit, Robin looks like he has a bunch of giant golden staples through his torso, sort of like that one shapeshifting bounty hunter from Critters 2.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham Knight gets credit for giving actual closure to Mr Freeze.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Arkham Knight gets credit for giving actual closure to Mr Freeze.

harley quinn cartoon as well

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does the batman beyond episode with freeze count?

Babaduck
Apr 30, 2022
The choppy photoshop around Robin's head is the cherry on top.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It feels like the mask must be photoshopped over his face. It's literally floating in another layer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

Did Arnold Freeze say "Fortune favors... the COLD" or did I dream that?

Hmm, maybe I did?
https://youtu.be/x3nGLx77LwE

In this universe, there is one constant... everything freezes!

What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!

I'm still not sure how much of that movie was ironic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A large part of it is almost certainly trying to do the same kind of camp that the 60s TV series did, dressed up with a glitzier visual style, but there's the "serious" disease subplot too so it's not 100% consistent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's the rare movie that is both trying to be so-bad-it's-good and actually so-bad-it's-good at the same time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Honestly, high-camp Mr. Freeze is so much less tedious than Paul Dano's take on Riddler. My neighbor was watching The Batman super loudly the other day, and it got to the interrogation scene where Riddler's ignoring Batman's questions and instead starts menacingly belting Ave Maria, and whatever vibe they were going for did not land. My wife, who hadn't seen the movie, lost her poo poo laughing and had to know the context.

I saw it in theaters and enjoyed a lot about it, but the more I think about Zodiac Riddler, the less compelling it feels. It's trying so hard to chase the feeling of a John Doe or Hannibal Lecter, and it just doesn't work. It reminded me of how hard Red Dragon tried to make Dolarhyde into every famous movie killer, with a stern grandma voice in his head and jars full of murder poo poo and weird old medical ephemera all over his haunted mansion. After a point, it just feels like self-parody.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Most of that stuff in Red Dragon is from the book, but your point is correct because Thomas Harris basically pasted together elements from various real-life killers when he wrote his own, which gives them a kind of catch-all quality as if they represent all iconic murderers. He did the same thing with Buffalo Bill.

Anyway, I'm with you about The Riddler, it was a swing and miss by Dano.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, he was fine for most of the movie but it felt like they ran out of ideas once he was unmasked and just made him craaaaazy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's a fitting comparison given how Reeves made the Joker into Hannibal.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hated Paul Dano before it was cool

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I actually don't hate Paul Dano. He's often great, e.g. Swiss Army Man or There Will Be Blood. But goddamn, these choices. I don't get why the guy whose entire villain identity is being a controlled, sociopathic mastermind is also an unstable maniac incapable of regulating his emotions. He's a cautious genius who patiently waits out a chess game over weeks or months, who also bellows insanely and starts singing or crying or flying into nervous ticks with every new emotion.

It feels like the laziest way to try and make him menacing.

live with fruit posted:

It's a fitting comparison given how Reeves made the Joker into Hannibal.

Similarly frustrating, because the Batman/Joker interrogation scene in Dark Knight is great, so why do it again but less interestingly? And how much more intense and creepy do they need to make him aesthetically? He's essentially a Disturbed lyric made flesh in this movie.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Paul Dano plays the same anxious, offkilter, combustible character in too many shows. Dude has no range imo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I like the idea of making the Joker Batman's Hannibal. If he's going to become a staple like Gordon and Alfred, and it certainly feels like he has, it's a lot better than trying to compete with Nolan and Ledger's take. Hopefully Reeves never makes him the primary antagonist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The scene was cut because they don't want to be married to that gross makeup. There's definitely studio executives who keep asking, "are you sure he can't be a little less hosed up? Maybe hosed up but in a hot way?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The best part of the Joker scene is that he predicts the entire movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
If there's one time I'm going to give the Jared Leto Joker credit, it's that he didn't fall into the same trap of just giving him scars and making him look grimy. Even Pheonix's Joker has the same greasy, found these clothes in a dumpster, look. After Ledger everyone decided to just do that again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Xealot posted:

There Will Be Blood.

Agree to disagree on that one

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Xealot posted:

Honestly, high-camp Mr. Freeze is so much less tedious than Paul Dano's take on Riddler. My neighbor was watching The Batman super loudly the other day, and it got to the interrogation scene where Riddler's ignoring Batman's questions and instead starts menacingly belting Ave Maria, and whatever vibe they were going for did not land. My wife, who hadn't seen the movie, lost her poo poo laughing and had to know the context.

I saw it in theaters and enjoyed a lot about it, but the more I think about Zodiac Riddler, the less compelling it feels. It's trying so hard to chase the feeling of a John Doe or Hannibal Lecter, and it just doesn't work. It reminded me of how hard Red Dragon tried to make Dolarhyde into every famous movie killer, with a stern grandma voice in his head and jars full of murder poo poo and weird old medical ephemera all over his haunted mansion. After a point, it just feels like self-parody.

Riddler's overall shtick was fine with me, but him yelling/freaking out or the singing scene were a bit too much.

Surprisingly, the Penguin was actually pretty good, considering I rarely ever care about him in Batman mediums. No idea how he doesn't get arrested for any of the things he does in that movie, though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Singing in interrogation seems like a good way of not accidentally letting anything slip if you can't handle just being completely silent.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, he was fine for most of the movie but it felt like they ran out of ideas once he was unmasked and just made him craaaaazy.

That pretty much goes for the movie as a whole, TBH. If the projector had fritzed out after the Riddler got arrested I would have walked out pretty satisfied, but it just keeps loving going and I kind of hated it by the end.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

IT'S TIME TO... GET REAL!

PINOCCHIO: GET GUD OR STAY WOOD!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rochallor posted:

That pretty much goes for the movie as a whole, TBH. If the projector had fritzed out after the Riddler got arrested I would have walked out pretty satisfied, but it just keeps loving going and I kind of hated it by the end.

Ironically enough at my theater all of the projectors went out (but the sound kept playing) at the scene where Catwoman is about to throw that guy off a building and while I was looking to tell the staff (who had all gone home and one lone kid was the only crew in the whole theater) my wife could hear what she thought was cool poo poo happening. We couldn't get refunds but we did get free tickets for another showing, saw it without technical errors this time and my wife's takeaway was "actually that was kind of boring." Can't say I disagree.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When I saw Apocalypse Now: Redux, the first time the projector bulb blew right after a grenade is exploded near the beginning of the movie. Perfect timing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My friend had a theater's power go out in Kill Bill 2 right as Kiddo gets to Bill's house.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

This is somehow Loss, but also somehow goatse

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The film seized and burned up in the projector at the peak of the climax of Vertical Limit, just as Scott Glen appears out of nowhere to save everyone. The theater was packed and everyone was super into the film, so there was much screaming, weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At an art house’s screening of The Killing one of the reels was basically inserted the wrong way so the film was running backwards and upside down and it took about ten minutes to fix. By the time the film started the audience’s mood had kinda turned, it took me a while to appreciate that film properly.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pinocchio looking into that place where women fear to look.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The aspect ratio switching in Grand Budapest must’ve played havoc with the system my theater used as it was messed up after about 5 minutes and never recovered.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

In New Zealand they accidentally played the first 10 minutes of The Descent instead of Mars Needs Moms I believe.

Bit awkward.

https://youtu.be/OuoVmvNxE8I

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

In New Zealand they accidentally played the first 10 minutes of The Descent instead of Mars Needs Moms I believe.

Bit awkward.

The little shits need to learn about the ever-present threat of a gruesome death sooner or later.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Chief posted:

Bit awkward.

Can't top that, but a cinema in Australia played the Hereditary trailer before a holiday screening of Peter Rabbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I mean it could have been worse, they could have played the first 10 minutes of Mars Needs Moms.