Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

It's kind of surprising that more artists haven't tried imitating Wano's style for character design. What else comes close, Fairy Tale? :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Before I emptyquoted those things, I checked 3 times to make sure I wasn't referencing fairy tail

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oda is the knuckle-dragging simpleton of drawing women hornbily. murata is a true connoisseur of being horny for big anime tiddies.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
rewatched fullmetal alchemist (the good one) and it remains really good, even if most of the characters should be sent to hague

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

rewatched fullmetal alchemist (the good one) and it remains really good, even if most of the characters should be sent to hague

netflix stopped carrying it
but i found a torrent each ep 3gigs a piece

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Please never specify which one is the good one.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

dont worry East Amestris will de-Nazi. West Amestris well they all learned their lesson.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Everyone gets a pardon on account of: Dethroning God*

*well more of a demiurge but whatever

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Actually both FMA’s are great and I’m glad the series got written during the industry’s transition between the “make up whatever the hell we want” era and the “to the letter even if it’s not finished and we have a decade between seasons” era.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Roy Mustang is cool.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Popy posted:

Roy Mustang is cool.

He did a genocide

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Yeah but he felt bad about it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
did a heckin' alchemical

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Roy mustang supports the thin blue line

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Roy Mustang wants to be the kinder, gentler boot instead of dismantling the system

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The führer that feels bad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roy Mustang organized the Winter Soldier investigation

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

but he snaps his fingers and makes fire

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Casey Finnigan posted:

while we're talking about cultural differences

someone on japanese yahoo answers says that Doraemon is not popular in the west because it conflicts with a Christian worldview

Doraemon is apparently an all-powerful God. However, whenever Nobita asks Doraemon for help, the assistance that Doraemon provides always backfires. Is Doraemon, perhaps, a Satanic or beguiling figure?

Also, how can Nobita learn self-reliance if he's constantly clinging to Doraemon? God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Thoughts?

The second point answers the third point, that Nobita cannot rely on technology from the future but rather must develop self-reliance through hard work in order to stop making such poor decisions. You could probably easily pitch Doraemon to Focus on the Family if you made Doraemon an angel who offers Nobi catspaws that make him content with his station in life. As for why it's not as popular, probably because the protagonist sucks, which is the point, but doesn't feed into the power fantasy young kids are fed from a very early age in this country the way action shonen does.

I loving love Doraemon though, wish I caught more episodes of it when it was on Disney, legitimately funny stuff.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Lobe posted:

He did a genocide

yeah, but the drip of those matchstick gloves tho!!

tokin opposition posted:

The führer that feels bad

i think Fuhrer Bradley felt quite bad, in the end

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Popy posted:

but he snaps his fingers and makes fire

So did Thanos

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

roy mustang might have been a nazi but he was our nazi dammit

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

He should have not gotten his eyesight back, same with the horny guy's legs

Also the concept that ed doesn't want his cool af robot limbs for some reason is strange and alien. Fit me up for automail please

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

tokin opposition posted:

He should have not gotten his eyesight back, same with the horny guy's legs

Also the concept that ed doesn't want his cool af robot limbs for some reason is strange and alien. Fit me up for automail please

i mean aren't there multiple times in the series he explains why despite being cool robot arms they actually suck poo poo?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Kitfox88 posted:

i mean aren't there multiple times in the series he explains why despite being cool robot arms they actually suck poo poo?

it's also just his pride. They're a reminder that he hosed up.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

theyre also painful and break easy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

he punches a guy through a wall, and the number of times it saves his life far outweighs the times it hurts him

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that's thanks to his magic martial art. his teacher does the same kind of thing, with no metal.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

It's really lucky that Ed exists in a universe with both a hard magic system and limb replacements that work via handwavey bullshit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1521718199577980930

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T0a_jXHiDo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I watched that show and it got in trouble in China because people kept shipping Marx and Engels

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I tried watching it and it still came off as a little too hagiographic. The only time it really felt like a legit story was when Marx & Engels were bro'ing out. If you're gonna tell the tale of Karl Marx's life then you have to include the part where he was getting drunk and looking to start fights.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i watched a few episodes. of course it's sanitized: it's Classics For Kids. you probably watched and read tons of stuff like that as a child which glossed over the rude parts of the lives of the founding fathers or w/e

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a helpless boy is cornered by a wealthy aristocrat who proceeds to mercilessly bully him using theory until Marx (who is very handsome and kissable) bravely steps in between them and fights back against the bully by hitting him with baby's first paradox. the bully is stunned into silence and storms off in a huff as the whole room laughs. "Wow, nobody's ever been able to out-theory him!" a bystander whispers, "that Karl Marx kid is something else!"

non-hagiographic

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I tried watching it and it still came off as a little too hagiographic. The only time it really felt like a legit story was when Marx & Engels were bro'ing out. If you're gonna tell the tale of Karl Marx's life then you have to include the part where he was getting drunk and looking to start fights.

There's no way it could be anything other than hagiographic with Chinese state media.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kitfox88 posted:

There's one point IIRC where it's suggested that the first model he uses was too heavy and possibly stunting his growth. That's reason enough!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

i watched a few episodes. of course it's sanitized: it's Classics For Kids. you probably watched and read tons of stuff like that as a child which glossed over the rude parts of the lives of the founding fathers or w/e

wait. So does it feature a sober Marx?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the only time he gets drunk it's on the brilliance of hegel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

i don’t care if “it’s for kids,” Cocomelon is trash for submental dullards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

i didn't get very far into One Piece but the conqueror's haki stuff sounds lame.

oh yeah you're super strong cause, uh, your bloodline is kingly and your dad was influential

or i guess it's not even that. it's just lame in concept to have an abritrary super power based off nothing concrete, that only some people have

Recent developments make it sound like conqueror's haki might not actually be something you're born with.