Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Driving BMWs is an exercise in patience and navigating the most over engineered infotainment control center ever put in a vehicle.

I meant this as an insult to BMW but as I typed it out I realized they are perfect for F1 and never should’ve left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

BMW […] are perfect for F1 and never should’ve left.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CancerCakes posted:

Audi is the worst German car marque, mercedes is more prestigious and BMW is meant to be the ultimate driving experience, Audi is just meh

Are you saying that vorsprung does not durch technik?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:foksmash:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Driving BMWs is an exercise in patience and navigating the most over engineered infotainment control center ever put in a vehicle.

I meant this as an insult to BMW but as I typed it out I realized they are perfect for F1 and never should’ve left.

just use Apple CarPlay and the center console iDrive buttan. it has a good knob-feel...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:captainpop:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:five:

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Didn't Porsche and Audi compete against each other in the endurance series for a while?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

lmao. please tweet that at the haas account

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

:lmao: :foksmash:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mods can we have a thread background?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

harperdc posted:

both Audi and Porsche would be joining with existing teams, so nothing new - just re-branding of Red Bull engines as Porsche, and Audi supplying a team currently powered by Mercedes. if Audi do decide to create a new team, that would take us to 22 cars, and Andretti joining would go to 24. I believe there are a maximum of 13 team slots right now, so 26 would be it.

Yeah my understanding is Audi want to do a similar deal with McLaren that Merc did in the 2000s so you'd get Audi-McLaren running almost as a factory team. Though I don't think McLaren are particularly up for it because it would involve Audi taking a stake in the ownership.

And yeah Red Bull were already looking at making a deal with Porsche taking over Red Bull Power Trains, but I think it's a bit iffy if Honda can block it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

lol graham rahal is trash

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

lol graham rahal is trash

I mean so is Grosjean so I'm glad he's found his people

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Hey, Graham's been racing in IndyCar for fifteen years now. Surely he commands more respect and admiration than a newcomer like Grosjean.

Oh.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lol imagine being such a failure of a sport that Big John is the most popular driver.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol imagine being such a failure of a sport that Big John is the most popular driver.

Well it depends, is Alonso going to go for Indy again this year?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/mattamys/status/1521082921217667074

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

papaya boy pato o'ward won the last race so it's good actually

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Haas released a vice city style Miami promo photo and it's awesome.

Will post it shortly when I'm not phone posting

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Custard Undies posted:

Haas released a vice city style Miami promo photo and it's awesome.

Will post it shortly when I'm not phone posting

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Yeah right like has Haas has ever had the team on the fence celebrating as their driver comes by on the last lap having achieved something.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

acidx posted:

Yeah right like has Haas has ever had the team on the fence celebrating as their driver comes by on the last lap having achieved something.

https://racingnews365.com/what-the-future-holds-for-haas-f1-it-will-take-us-a-few-more-years

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Guenther would make a pretty good GTA NPC.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KMag actually holds the fastest lap record at Singapore, somehow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Grand_Prix

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

smackfu posted:

KMag actually holds the fastest lap record at Singapore, somehow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Grand_Prix

Late pit stop for tyres when already 2 laps behind the leaders and with the cheaty Ferrari engine

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I really love it!

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

learnincurve posted:

His girlfriend is world class cyclist, top 7 road, but had covid not come along when it did she'd be the number 1 ladies gravel cyclist in the world right now. Bottas tags along with her and does the shorter courses for the non-pros.

Its ridiculous how cute they are together. I love it.
https://twitter.com/themunson/status/1520549613941366793
(she got 3rd in a 222km/137 mile gravel race. loving owns)

Checks out:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

acidx posted:

Didn't Porsche and Audi compete against each other in the endurance series for a while?

Yep, but that was when Audi was using diesels and Porsche was not, which was part of how the VW board rationalized it.

And then Dieselgate happened, Audi bounced, and Porsche did what they do and say “Job done” and that’s how we got Toyota dominance for the last while.

Yeah my understanding is Audi want to do a similar deal with McLaren that Merc did in the 2000s so you'd get Audi-McLaren running almost as a factory team. Though I don't think McLaren are particularly up for it because it would involve Audi taking a stake in the ownership.

I mean, it probably depends on what deal the people McLaren has sold out to would get for Audi buying in or buying them out. Might be helpful to McLaren’s future for road cars too, but that would put them, Lambo, Porsche, Bugatti, etc all in the same corporation. Whee.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Of course the Miami GP is sponsored by Crypto.com.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Dunno if this will work from phone but someone did all the drivers as old men and it owns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-yOr_Nok9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
It's such a shame that VW will just be buying into old teams instead of starting their own programs. If the $200M entry fee is too much for them, what hope do we have of ever seeing more than 20 cars on the grid?

a real chump posted:

Dunno if this will work from phone but someone did all the drivers as old men and it owns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-yOr_Nok9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Valtteri and KMag look about the same, must be a Scandinavian thing.

Sainz still looking dapper.

Nowher fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 3, 2022

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Wow the chills app really doesn't know how to do non white people, does it?

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

:perfect:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nowher posted:

It's such a shame that VW will just be buying into old teams instead of starting their own programs. If the $200M entry fee is too much for them, what hope do we have of ever seeing more than 20 cars on the grid?

The thing about that $200 mil fee: it can be waived. My guess is a VW company (Audi/Porsche) starting their own team would be enough to get the fee waived, because the expectation is that whichever company would be a net benefit to the bottom line of F1 in a major way - especially in terms of advertising and helping the series increase TV money and takes from circuits.

The theory is that another Haas (or an Andretti) wouldn’t move the needle in the same way a hypothetical VW/Toyota/Ford/other major OEM stepping in would. Audi would fall under that, naturally.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

harperdc posted:

The thing about that $200 mil fee: it can be waived. My guess is a VW company (Audi/Porsche) starting their own team would be enough to get the fee waived, because the expectation is that whichever company would be a net benefit to the bottom line of F1 in a major way - especially in terms of advertising and helping the series increase TV money and takes from circuits.

The theory is that another Haas (or an Andretti) wouldn’t move the needle in the same way a hypothetical VW/Toyota/Ford/other major OEM stepping in would. Audi would fall under that, naturally.

There is just something inherently absurd about a $200m entry fee now that teams are cost-capped. It's kinda like when an insurer jacks up your premium by 500%; they're not saying they won't take your money if you're going to insist but they're not that interested in it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/1521384461405163520?t=o8Wz2u8ks-oyLI2hjfonvA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles Leclerc posted:

There is just something inherently absurd about a $200m entry fee now that teams are cost-capped. It's kinda like when an insurer jacks up your premium by 500%; they're not saying they won't take your money if you're going to insist but they're not that interested in it.

$20 mil to each current team for diluting the overall prize money pool, because it’ll be split 11 ways instead of 10. That’s the logic.