Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who the hell is Ray Tracing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

everybody's ray tracing these days

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thinking on it, the "best" way to update Duke Nukem would probably be to lean into the fact that he's a walking anachronism in 2020. You'd have to sandpaper down the rougher edges (re: no more "suck my gun-dick" poses on the box art), but you can pretty trivially play up his whole quippy musclebound meathead persona in a more grounded setting and play it up for laughs while still keeping a tongue-in-cheek respect for the spirit of the 90s action films he was liberally cobbled together from.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 3, 2022

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Infinitum posted:

Well you can call me Ray and you can call me Tray or you can call me Ray Tray Tracing

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Barudak posted:

I mean, hes a gecko who travels to worlds based on genre media and them makes topical jokes. It seems pretty ding dang easy, just instead of TV shows you stick with movies and videogames with maybe some uber popular shows rounding it out.

Like, he goes to thinly veiled Game of Thrones world and theres a calendar that says "Winter is Coming" and when you meet Ned Stark (who wears iron man armor) Gex says "well he'll never be head of state"

As you have just proved, I meant that it would be hard to make something like that actually funny and good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Well you can call me Ray and you can call me Tray or you can call me Ray Tray Tracing

:kstare:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

As you have just proved, I meant that it would be hard to make something like that actually funny and good.

Oh whoa whoa whoa, that doesn't sound very Gex.

If you wanted good I'd agree that would be hard, but like, another Gex isn't tricky

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah you can't just be like "it would be hard to make a modern gex" and then suddenly say you want a good game instead of a modern gex

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
just give gex a gun and make him say a lot of cuss words, it'll be fine

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Let gex hang out with Claptrap

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everyone asks who's ray tracing no one ever asks how's ray tracing :smith:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Rarity posted:

Everyone asks who's ray tracing no one ever asks how's ray tracing :smith:

Light boxes used to be kind of annoying but now everyone has a nice bright led with a smooth glass surface to use to trace on

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Pwnstar posted:

Irony or not I was thinking about Gex as a product of its time and I think making Gex seem cool/funny/likeable these days would be an interesting challenge, it's such a "how do you do fellow kids?" type character.

Honestly it's probably Movie Sonic. He flosses and makes pop culture references. Way more likeable than Gex, though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wuggles posted:

Movie Sonic. He flosses

:whitewater:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

wuggles posted:

Movie Sonic. He flosses

I'm so 2008, you're so 2000 and late

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I started Triangle Strategy this morning. Is the English VA really bad? That’s the impression I’m getting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Of course he flosses, look at those lovely chompers :xd:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I started Triangle Strategy this morning. Is the English VA really bad? That’s the impression I’m getting.

There's one way to find out and that's to put on the JP audio track and never look back

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

There's one way to find out and that's to put on the JP audio track and never look back

Subs before dubs, the immortal truth :colbert:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

Subs before dubs, the immortal truth :colbert:

I just play or watch things in their original language and more often than not it works out. I'm an adult, I'm capable of reading subtitles if I have to.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I always thought it was funny the EU streams of Nintendo Directs just do subtitles for when Koizumi or whoever is speaking but the US streams dub over it in English

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Honestly, if a game has dialogue boxes regardless of voice work, it seems pointless to have the voice work.

After playing an hour, I do think some of the dialogue is kind of poor which contributes to the rough reads. Otherwise, the game seems pretty good so far!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Honestly, if a game has dialogue boxes regardless of voice work, it seems pointless to have the voice work.

After playing an hour, I do think some of the dialogue is kind of poor which contributes to the rough reads. Otherwise, the game seems pretty good so far!

That sounds about right for triangle strategy. The gameplay is spectacular, the plot is pretty good but the actual dialogue is plodding and weak.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

it starts off not great but seems to have been recorded chronologically with no do overs so things improve quite a bit over time

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
thinking about gex in anime world

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I agree with people who say the English voice acting in Triangle Strategy gets much better later on in the story, but I think Serenoa stays a weak link, unfortunately. That's the same voice actor who played Sylvando in DQXI which was such a fun and lively performance so I dunno what happened with his Serenoa performance.

All of the other main characters, even Benedict, start turning in some really good performances later on, though I think Frederica's probably the best.

After playing an hour, I do think some of the dialogue is kind of poor which contributes to the rough reads.

I also agree that a lot of the early clunky line reads are probably caused by some poor dialogue writing. I find any time the dialogue's trying to be "casual," it gets really clunky, really fast.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 3, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

thinking about gex in anime world

He'd have many racist things to say

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 3, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harrow posted:

I agree with people who say the English voice acting in Triangle Strategy gets much better later on in the story, but I think Serenoa stays a weak link, unfortunately. That's the same voice actor who played Sylvando in DQXI which was such a fun and lively performance so I dunno what happened with his Serenoa performance.

Sounds like subpar direction, which can bring a bad performance out of even the best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The dialogue in Triangle Strategy improves when it really counts, I think. There are some really emotional scenes in the later parts of the story with a lot of interpersonal conflict, and that's when the actual dialogue writing and voice acting really step up.

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like subpar direction, which can bring a bad performance out of even the best.

Yeah, that's my assumption. Though enough of the other characters have really good performances that it makes me wonder what kind of direction they gave him for Serenoa. Maybe it's because Serenoa's personality ends up having to be kind of vague because it has to make sense for him to go along with the very different choices a player could make along the way, so there ends up not being much to really grab onto for the character's actual identity.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm gonna try tri strategy again at some point but I was really turned off by the dialogue, for sure, like not to compare everything to fft but both the fft original and fft wotl translations had so much more personality than what I've seen so far from TS

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all my representatives have hung up on me today after delivering most recent batch of "gently caress you and die and leave office" but i'm still full of angry energy and can't do design work and idk why don't we all just get together and rip these people's heads off and make some progress. how hard can it be to beat up a handful of old fogies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sorry, a lifetime of videogames has obviously made me violent maybe they should've overturned videogames all along

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm not sure which is worse, games like triangle strategy or octopath traveller which obviously never graduated past their working titles or the random barf like Dissidia Duodecim Prologus Opera Omnia or whatever the gently caress

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

I also agree that a lot of the early clunky line reads are probably caused by some poor dialogue writing. I find any time the dialogue's trying to be "casual," it gets really clunky, really fast.

i feel kinda bad for like, rudolph and trish's VAs early on, they're trying to read some archaic sentence construction in a pretty casual tone because of their class and it felt like they received no direction

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I'm not sure which is worse, games like triangle strategy or octopath traveller which obviously never graduated past their working titles or the random barf like Dissidia Duodecim Prologus Opera Omnia or whatever the gently caress

I'd rather have a thousand triangles or octopaths than another origins or revelations or chronicles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Even Octopath Traveler is a better title than Triangle Strategy. And at least Octopath has the cute little easter egg where if you start at Ophilia and go clockwise to each character's starting position on the map, their first initials spell out "OCTOPATH."

Not really sure what happened with Triangle Strategy. Maybe they just need to stop announcing games under their working titles.

Looper posted:

i feel kinda bad for like, rudolph and trish's VAs early on, they're trying to read some archaic sentence construction in a pretty casual tone because of their class and it felt like they received no direction

Yeah Trish is exactly who I was thinking of. Erador has some moments like that early on, too. It felt like the people writing the English dialogue never read their own work aloud or anything because some of the times when they use "ya" or "ye" instead of "you" in sentences would have obviously been really clunky if they had.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

all of those rule

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fridge corn posted:

It sort of fits in with Square's recent attitude to these sorts of games (as in genres they're dabbling in again after decades of neglect).

Bravely Default is named after a relatively minor mechanic, Octopath and Triangle are both generic project titles, then you have Dungeon Encounters. It just makes the games themselves sound generic as hell - just a retread of these genres and mechanics with no personality or identity of their own.