Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Are there hip hop covers? Like, will one rapper cover another rapper's song? I know there's like sad indie guitar covers of Hey Ya and that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mh1Rq35ZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Oh no! They confiscated the entire wall of Nukie tapes!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

What am I missing in that pic? Are those vape sticks or pens or whatever they're called? Drugs and like 2500 bux plus a tea infuser? I keep looking for something subtle like cop nards hanging out or an item that doesn't fit with the loot they stole.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Those are a lot of ones. It's like $600, a tea infuser, vape cartridges, and like, one person's worth of weed stash

ACAB you're not missing anything

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

ante posted:

Those are a lot of ones. It's like $600, a tea infuser, vape cartridges, and like, one person's worth of weed stash

Also a "your friend who supplies the crew" amount of coke.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

knuthgrush posted:

What am I missing in that pic? Are those vape sticks or pens or whatever they're called? Drugs and like 2500 bux plus a tea infuser? I keep looking for something subtle like cop nards hanging out or an item that doesn't fit with the loot they stole.

I think the joke is ghat it's a laughable catch but they pose as if they just busted a huge cocaine shipment.

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?

cursed images != funny images

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmfao

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

loving lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

It's okay, babe. They're just stretch marks, not scars.
No poo poo, I meant please stop eatin' cheeseburgers.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ante posted:

Also between the three of them, there's probably $5-10k in salary and such that went into making that "bust". Just a drain on society all around.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

sporklift posted:

Covering a song = stealing it. I had an ex who was unfamiliar with the concept of a cover song and asked why someone would steal another person's song. wtf.

The modern pop trend of taking somebody else's music down to the instrumentation and just having some different lyrics over it irks me as really artistically bankrupt.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Man I had to search through over 1000 pages of this thread to find this post but I did it. It took literally 30+ hours of doing nothing but looking at the pages of this thread and nothing is funny anymore but I did it.

"That '70s thread Cast Set to Return for Netflix Sequel"

https://tvline.com/2022/04/30/that-90s-show-eric-donna-jackie-fez-kelso-returning-that-70s-show/

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Hyde was killed on his way back to his home planet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Hyde was killed on his way back to his home planet

He’s a Scientologist now isn’t he?

EDIT: Oh I didn’t realize there were rape allegations against him too

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
And a rapist, yeah. Don’t know how related those two things are. Prepon was/is a Scientologist too

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

ELF RUBBISH
BAG gently caress !!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DemonTrigger posted:

ELF RUBBISH
BAG gently caress !!

....BERSERKER

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

RatHat posted:

He’s a Scientologist now isn’t he?

EDIT: Oh I didn’t realize there were rape allegations against him too

He's most likely going to prison over it. A real piece of poo poo.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin

Radio Paranoia posted:

The modern pop trend of taking somebody else's music down to the instrumentation and just having some different lyrics over it irks me as really artistically bankrupt.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jaxyon posted:

Historically it was exactly that. A black artist would do a song and white artist would steel it without credit. Over time it's become a more positive practice done with permission.

Lol.
I'm pretty sure that playing/stealing other peoples songs predate written word.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

A Motorola razr and a smashed-to-poo poo Gen 2 iPhone? This is some top level poo poo! Increase the budget!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cocaine Bear posted:

A Motorola razr and a smashed-to-poo poo Gen 2 iPhone? This is some top level poo poo! Increase the budget!
Budget already increased by ~$600

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Splicer posted:

Budget already increased by ~$600

Are you missing a few zeros?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

adhuin posted:

Lol.
I'm pretty sure that playing/stealing other peoples songs predate written word.

I once saw the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra steal a song from Bach and they had the audacity to throw me out when I started loudly booing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Are you missing a few zeros?

Yeah, I count three in the photo

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

:drat:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BiggerBoat posted:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Radio Paranoia posted:

This isn't a modern trend. Huge numbers of folk songs are older tunes with different lyrics. Sometimes themes and some lyrics are preserved, sometimes they aren't. Not every song is intended to be a work of art; sometimes they're just ditties to sing along to while you work.

Before the invention of recording music was also much more distinct from performer, and it was taken as more or less given that people would make endless variations.

Like yes, it's long been common for white artists to record whiteified versions of black songs, but the idea that this is the origin of the notion of a cover or the common ancestor of all songs played by people who didn't write them is ridiculous.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 14:53 on May 3, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Are there hip hop covers? Like, will one rapper cover another rapper's song? I know there's like sad indie guitar covers of Hey Ya and that sort of thing.

the only straight-up rap cover I can think of is Snoop Dogg doing La Di Da Di.

more often somebody will completely rewrite a song except for the refrain. 99 Problems was originally an Ice-T b-side that was... less metaphorical than the Jay-Z version.

and still more often an artist will just sample.

unrelated:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Empty Sandwich posted:

the only straight-up rap cover I can think of is Snoop Dogg doing La Di Da Di.

more often somebody will completely rewrite a song except for the refrain. 99 Problems was originally an Ice-T b-side that was... less metaphorical than the Jay-Z version.

and still more often an artist will just sample.

That is weird. Given how much sampling goes on in hip hop, you'd expect more sampling of the sampling but I guess, ironically, these artists are like "hey, that's MY sample!"

unrelated:

[/quote]

This belongs in the Louvre.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This isn't a modern trend. Huge numbers of folk songs are older tunes with different lyrics. Sometimes themes and some lyrics are preserved, sometimes they aren't. Not every song is intended to be a work of art; sometimes they're just ditties to sing along to while you work.

Before the invention of recording music was also much more distinct from performer, and it was taken as more or less given that people would make endless variations.

Like yes, it's long been common for white artists to record whiteified versions of black songs, but the idea that this is the origin of the notion of a cover or the common ancestor of all songs played by people who didn't write them is ridiculous.

They used to do this so people would know how to sing along with them. If you use the same basic tunes people are already familiar and just learn the new words and boom you have a new pub song.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You also get cool rewrites/samples/whatever like Flo Mili's May I taking the corus and other bits from snoop's gin and juice despite being a very different song. Wholesale copying the song is lame and other genres should step up their game imo.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

They used to do this so people would know how to sing along with them. If you use the same basic tunes people are already familiar and just learn the new words and boom you have a new pub song.

For instance - all UK football chants

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DemonTrigger posted:

ELF RUBBISH
BAG gently caress !!

Money plane

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

TK-42-1 posted:

sort of similarly, I only knew about the UK/US overlap here:

quote:

In countries not previously part of the British Empire, the tune of "God Save the Queen" has provided the basis for various patriotic songs, though still generally connected with royal ceremony.[7] The melody continues to be used for the national anthem of Liechtenstein, "Oben am jungen Rhein", and the royal anthem of Norway, "Kongesangen". In the United States, the melody is used for the patriotic song "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" (also known as "America"). The melody was also used for the national anthem 'Heil dir im Siegerkranz' of the German Empire from 1871 to 1918 and as "The Prayer of Russians", the imperial anthem of Russia from 1816 to 1833. In Switzerland, it is known as "Rufst du, mein Vaterland".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I count $834 in cash.