Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
LMAO Scott Adams is such a loving tool, jfc.

Big Nate Year 1 (Apr 7-8, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jul 12, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jan 18-19, 1991)

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Drakyn posted:

Here's the problem: there was a typo in the initial strip that slipped by the editors. Should be fixed now.

Please edit Bets's last line to it smells like Thai food TIA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Huh - something I just noticed here; when dialogue isn't finished as a exclamation, question or with ellipses, there is NO punctuation at the end of it.

It sticks out to me because when I do translation work, putting a period after dialogue which is just 'said' looks wrong, somehow. Maybe I should adopt something similar?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Thank you all for responding about Kevin and Kell. That was a wider variety of answers than I expected.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i always thought "kell" was a bizarre name but i just realized the title is supposed to rhyme with "heaven and hell" isn't it

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I just realized I never actually posted Monday's Lockhorns:

re K&K(and other Holbrook creations): I'm in the "skip over it" crowd, but when my attention is drawn to it I'm usually more baffled than angry. There's a lot of aspects of Holbrook's worldbuilding that haven't been thought through(or reflect attitudes that Holbrook himself probably hasn't actually thought about on more than a surface level, which you see a lot of with Fastrack), but I don't get a sense of hate/malice like you do with the Dilberts and Dustins of the world.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i always thought "kell" was a bizarre name but i just realized the title is supposed to rhyme with "heaven and hell" isn't it

Ok I hate it now

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
my weird place: I skip all Holbrook stuff because it's inadvertently gross and lovely at the best of times, but I really love reading people freak out and dissect it through text

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.
I... I always thought it was supposed to be a reference to the Nick show Kenan and Kel but that actually makes sense and I also hate it

why would you not set ground rules for this when you came up with it? just make it so you can book a max of 2 days a week, whoever got stuck with only 1 day gets first dibs the next week. or you can only book 7 days total every month.

or stop being loving weirdos and have sneaky sex in the back of your cars like normal people

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Also, don't they have classes ever?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sweetguts posted:

why would you not set ground rules for this when you came up with it? just make it so you can book a max of 2 days a week, whoever got stuck with only 1 day gets first dibs the next week. or you can only book 7 days total every month.

or stop being loving weirdos and have sneaky sex in the back of your cars like normal people

The privacy hut seems to be made of thin blankets and thus offers zero aural privacy. The gently caress pit may stop people from seeing you getting railed but they're certainly still going to hear it. Just get it on in a slightly less uncomfortable place, like the back of a Volkswagen.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 26, 2000)

hey weird question here but do you have any feedback for me on the order these comics are listed in? i started putting foob second-to-last so A+J could counteract it more effectively, but i'm open to most things being in a different order.

personally i think the Rae the Doe placement is a bit weird and the Overboard to Compu-Toon stretch seems a bit messy but i don't know if anyone even thinks about this or gives a poo poo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True May 6, 1919

Failing to explain why your victim should here, True.

:cawg:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

I know I'm going to regret asking but I just have to, why does her tail have claws?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "190 - Jucika's Financial Difficulties At The End Of The Month"

"191 - Jucika's Theatrical Partner"

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

riderchop posted:

hey weird question here but do you have any feedback for me on the order these comics are listed in? i started putting foob second-to-last so A+J could counteract it more effectively, but i'm open to most things being in a different order.

personally i think the Rae the Doe placement is a bit weird and the Overboard to Compu-Toon stretch seems a bit messy but i don't know if anyone even thinks about this or gives a poo poo

I'm actually okay with the order you're currently using, but, uh...look, I'll just say it: I wish you'd put the Holbrook comics in a different post, separated from the other comics. I know there's probably been too much discussion about him already, but it's true. I'd much prefer having his strips quarantined into their own, more-easily-skippable post instead of lurking between comics I actually want to read.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Trilobite posted:

I'm actually okay with the order you're currently using, but, uh...look, I'll just say it: I wish you'd put the Holbrook comics in a different post, separated from the other comics. I know there's probably been too much discussion about him already, but it's true. I'd much prefer having his strips quarantined into their own, more-easily-skippable post instead of lurking between comics I actually want to read.

I... Am inclined to agree. I sometimes skip over comics accidentally, and feel bad for doing so. But Holbrook I skip on propose.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

Huh - something I just noticed here; when dialogue isn't finished as a exclamation, question or with ellipses, there is NO punctuation at the end of it.

It sticks out to me because when I do translation work, putting a period after dialogue which is just 'said' looks wrong, somehow. Maybe I should adopt something similar?
I believe the original reason is because full stops are likely to not show up in printed comics (due to the quality of the materials) and it would look worse to have them appear inconsistently than not at all. Also the reason sentences in comics end with exclamation marks so often. Just what I've heard.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1951)

Hal getting a little grim there again.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/2/02

Brenda Starr 8/30 - 9/1/48

Smokey Stover 9/7/47

Everyday Movies 2/8/35

"I want to order a native dish, but nothing very strange."

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Honestly, I'm not particularly maddened by any of the Holbrook comics,; They're annoying sometimes, but not infuriating. I'd probably miss them if they left the thread. That said...

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"As immobile, shallow-water filter feeders, we'll get right on that."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking but I just have to, why does her tail have claws?
something something cats, I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drakyn posted:

Here's the problem: there was a typo in the initial strip that slipped by the editors. Should be fixed now.

What the hell yoga are you doing on a 3'x4' patch of floor?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

riderchop posted:

:justpost:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Endless Mike posted:

What the hell yoga are you doing on a 3'x4' patch of floor?
Jackin' it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You know, given how insanely prudish the Luann authors are, it's actually a little astounding that one of the recurring characters is a part-time nudist and isn't being shamed or presented as wrong for it.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1951)

Hal getting a little grim there again.

Grim, no he gets it. This is what I love about the classic Val. It wasn’t until the 20th century that a woman could easily own property, there were exceptions but widowhood meant you were at the mercy of whatever male relative inheriting the martial property.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

TampaTango posted:

Grim, no he gets it. This is what I love about the classic Val. It wasn’t until the 20th century that a woman could easily own property, there were exceptions but widowhood meant you were at the mercy of whatever male relative inheriting the martial property.

That and it's all well and good for the attractive young lovers to get their happy ending, but what about all the men who died before that point, and by extension all the women and children left behind?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Like it really rough guy?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

TegneHanne

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

I don't really, but it might make sense to put the one-panels together, maybe at the end.

I do mine in general alphabetical order, ending with the one-panel Andertoons and a classic A3-G, both of which are in B & W, but I don't know if I ever put any particular thought into that.

Also I was just thinking Computoon has been on a roll lately even though I don't comment on it.

F Minus

I had a roommate who would only use paper plates so that he wouldn't have to clean. Personally, I found it kind of childish and dumb.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Drunk driver?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom