Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Zil posted:

There is supposedly a guy who 54 boxes in EQ1, so pretty close to doing that.

Wasn't there some guy tangentially related to Fires of Heaven who tried to, like, 40 box Shamans in WoW and thought he'd achieve some kind of in game fame, and succeeded but not for the reasons he wanted? I have vague memories of it. He was a real creepy dude IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

FrostyPox posted:

Wasn't there some guy tangentially related to Fires of Heaven who tried to, like, 40 box Shamans in WoW and thought he'd achieve some kind of in game fame, and succeeded but not for the reasons he wanted? I have vague memories of it. He was a real creepy dude IIRC

Yeah Sam the Deathwalker, he used to claim to be the richest player in EQ and supposedly had 72 accounts running in PoP. He hung around the FoH message board and was a huge creep.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Zil posted:

Yeah Sam the Deathwalker, he used to claim to be the richest player in EQ and supposedly had 72 accounts running in PoP. He hung around the FoH message board and was a huge creep.

Yep, that's the guy, googled the name and it is 100% him. Jesus Christ what a fuckin' whackjob

I have no loving clue why but I used to lurk on the FoH boards for some reason.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 26, 2022

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Zil posted:

Had to look him up and for fucks sake..

"some reddit thread posted:

I was on the same server as him in Everquest. Used to think the guy was just an eccentric crakcpot, but one day there was a thread about him on the Fires of Heaven forum where someone doxxed him and revealed that he's a registered sex offender (paid a 15 year old for sex). He was posting in the thread defending himself, saying that if the girl is willing to do it for pay, it's fine. I got a lot of upvotes for mentioning it here lol.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

To answer the question- there will never be another good MMO because MMO players figured out years ago, well before social media taught this to everyone else, that interacting with strangers on the internet sucks and shouldn’t be done.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

To answer the question- there will never be another good MMO because MMO players figured out years ago, well before social media taught this to everyone else, that interacting with strangers on the internet sucks and shouldn’t be done.

This is why the only "successful" mmos now are the ones that let you solo or pug everything

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

FormaldehydeSon posted:

This is why the only "successful" mmos now are the ones that let you solo or pug everything

Right, this floats around Star Trek Online a lot, where the game was much more challenging maybe 5-6 years ago, but between allowing a lot of power creep and generally keeping the 'dungeons' very mechanically simple it's now really just about who can DPS the best or who can do control-based abilities well to group up all the enemy ships for nice AOE effects.

And every once in a while people start talking about wanting harder content. But then in the last year they put in a dungeon with basically one mechanic- when you get highlighted, run to a specific area on the map. Everyone went nuts because they realized how many players basically AFK their way through content these days. And there's not really any chance that's changing! AFK'ing is a significant portion of player bases.

And it's not like I'm going to start connecting with other players to set up a network of people to run content with. I keep my chat windows closed 99% of the time. What would I see? A troll comment that I did in Barrens chat 15 years ago? Someone posting weird MAGA/right wing stuff? Hahhaha no thanks.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I still dream of an open world survival game that gives the same vibes as goin through Guk with a bunch of people. That was special. But cannot exist the way it used to.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

AGREED.

Open world survival is a fun genre, but with a few rare exceptions it has become very samey. I imagine the issue with making an MMO within the genre would be how do you keep people playing for months or years? Once you've become self sustaining in those games, you've basically "won," and everything past that tends to involve grinding a shitload just so you can make a tool that lets you harvest 0.03% faster, or whatever. I suppose you could have a game with seasonal resets, but then you're basically just recreating Rust or Age of Conan or whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The issue is that while building a sustainable life is a fun thing to do, any game with PvP tacked on top of that is going to run into the issue of someone who is focusing on farming is going to have a lot of issues with someone who is focused on stabbing. You can get around that in several ways, such as making safe zones or by dozens of people coming together to form towns of a sort, but if not then it's just going to be like Rust where you come back to see a gigantic hole in your wall and all of your stuff gone.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would like to see more open world survival games that aren't also geared towards PvP gameplay. PvP in MMOs sucks, and it also sucks in open world survival games.

Make a cool world to explore with everything balanced for exclusively PvE because PvP blows rear end. If I want to fight other players I'll go play Battlefield 1 or something.

The huge mega servers are just too loving big and too many people, I never encounter the same person a second time. Just endless strangers all playing a single player game running past each other.

Unless there's some big changes to the direction MMOs are going I doubt I'll ever feel inclined to play one again. The things I enjoyed about EQ, SWG, EQ2 and early WoW just aren't present in modern MMOs.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Mustang posted:

I would like to see more open world survival games that aren't also geared towards PvP gameplay. PvP in MMOs sucks, and it also sucks in open world survival games.

Make a cool world to explore with everything balanced for exclusively PvE because PvP blows rear end. If I want to fight other players I'll go play Battlefield 1 or something.

The huge mega servers are just too loving big and too many people, I never encounter the same person a second time. Just endless strangers all playing a single player game running past each other.

Unless there's some big changes to the direction MMOs are going I doubt I'll ever feel inclined to play one again. The things I enjoyed about EQ, SWG, EQ2 and early WoW just aren't present in modern MMOs.

I would love a survival mmo with tomb raider style open world dungeons as the focus instead of pvp.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Came up in the New World thread: The way to make an open world survival MMO work long-term is to make it periodically reset, like Path of Exile does.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
been over it a million times, mmo's can only imagine being a murder simulator so they all suck poo poo QED

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

been over it a million times, mmo's can only imagine being a murder simulator so they all suck poo poo QED

I mean there are plenty of MMOs that focus around trade and commerce as their main conflict, you may not have heard of them because no one plays them because doing spreadsheets at a real job is demoralizing so doing it for fake gold is absurd.

And if you want a game thats just a creativity tool then you can buy a pencil and paper for a lot less than 15 bucks a month.

We can talk in circles for days about the role of violence in these games but when it comes down to it the market has clearly shown that violence is what people want because well adjusted peace loving people don't play mmos, they go outside and have friends.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Ranzear posted:

Came up in the New World thread: The way to make an open world survival MMO work long-term is to make it periodically reset, like Path of Exile does.

Basically what Rust is.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

We can talk in circles for days about the role of violence in these games but when it comes down to it the market has clearly shown that violence is what people want because well adjusted peace loving people don't play mmos, they go outside and have friends.

If this is true, why have the majority of the murderhobo MMOs released in the past 20 years flopped after a few years? Game studios are notoriously risk averse these days, and 15 years after the release of WoW, most of them are still trying to make WoW because trying anything new or different is dangerous. What's hilarious, is that by continually trying to recreate WoW, all of these studios are guaranteeing their games will flop, but they keep trying it because "that's what the market wants."

The "market" is leaving the genre in droves because other genres are trying new, interesting things. If you think gamers only want violence, how do you explain the popularity of farming or truck driving simulators? I guarantee you if someone released World of Euro Truck Driver tomorrow it would be a smash hit.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 3, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I would love to see what a dungeon equivalent would be like in a trucking MMO, unironically.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

There's Palia?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I would love to see what a dungeon equivalent would be like in a trucking MMO, unironically.

Rush hour with a 1 hour delivery deadline.

The raid would be rush hour with construction, and the delivery address would change every 10 minutes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm in for a challenge. :getin:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Protocol7 posted:

I think thats one of the several mud running games out there. Just add fun stuff like war zones to up the challenge.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kedo posted:

If this is true, why have the majority of the murderhobo MMOs released in the past 20 years flopped after a few years? Game studios are notoriously risk averse these days, and 15 years after the release of WoW, most of them are still trying to make WoW because trying anything new or different is dangerous. What's hilarious, is that by continually trying to recreate WoW, all of these studios are guaranteeing their games will flop, but they keep trying it because "that's what the market wants."

The "market" is leaving the genre in droves because other genres are trying new, interesting things. If you think gamers only want violence, how do you explain the popularity of farming or truck driving simulators? I guarantee you if someone released World of Euro Truck Driver tomorrow it would be a smash hit.

Thats the point though, the mmo equivalent of Farming Simulator is just Farming Simulator on a shared server. MMOs are still giant overworlds with dungeons and quests revolving around killing things because that's the only system that is still most efficient by using a huge single shard server rather than at most 50 player servers.

Although I would like to see a trucking racer, that would be funny. A Path To The Channel: Brexit Racer

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You're conflating "MMO" with "MMORPG" – they're not the same thing even though a lot of people seem to think they are. Just because most games adhere to a certain structure doesn't mean they necessarily must. Taking the Euro Truck Simulator idea a bit further, imagine if you had a European continent where players (or NPCs) were placing buy/sell orders ("quests") for goods in various locations, and players were all driving around the same seamless world fulfilling these orders. Maybe big metropolises are much more difficult to navigate and would require a team of players to plot a route, navigate, and actually drive a truck from A to B (ie. a "dungeon"). A global market driven by thousands of players could help define the price for goods and hence the rewards for taking on certain contracts. A lot of players in one area would create traffic, which would increase the difficulty. You could even have players acting as support services (ie. tow trucks, or "healers" according to MMO archetypes) driving around and helping broken down trucks.

Having a "massively multiplayer online" world could exist for this genre, it just takes a little bit of imagination.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kedo posted:

You're conflating "MMO" with "MMORPG" – they're not the same thing even though a lot of people seem to think they are. Just because most games adhere to a certain structure doesn't mean they necessarily must. Taking the Euro Truck Simulator idea a bit further, imagine if you had a European continent where players (or NPCs) were placing buy/sell orders ("quests") for goods in various locations, and players were all driving around the same seamless world fulfilling these orders. Maybe big metropolises are much more difficult to navigate and would require a team of players to plot a route, navigate, and actually drive a truck from A to B (ie. a "dungeon"). A global market driven by thousands of players could help define the price for goods and hence the rewards for taking on certain contracts. A lot of players in one area would create traffic, which would increase the difficulty. You could even have players acting as support services (ie. tow trucks, or "healers" according to MMO archetypes) driving around and helping broken down trucks.

Having a "massively multiplayer online" world could exist for this genre, it just takes a little bit of imagination.

im gonna steal youre idea and make a billion dollars. this is gonna be easy!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I guess its mostly a thing of the world "mmo" being made basically meaningless now that we have the ability to make seamless multiplayer interactions that don't actually involve interacting with people other than through menus and notice boards except in cases of coming together to do something. There isn't really a "hang out" space to it.

If we were talking about just large scale multiplayer games I'd go for a public service thing more than anything. Large scale wildfires, search and rescue after natural disasters, hurricanes. Imagine several squads of firefighters needing to organize to put down a huge blaze and needing to manage the water pressure and levels as well as moving hoses around, all while EMT gets civilians out of there. You could do EMT, dispatcher, Fire, air patrol, basically any civil emergency response group. The only people you couldn't do are people who just kill people ie cops. You could even make it as a single shard city but have people do instanced emergencies away from home, and if a fire gets out of control on the overworld then it damages income or the like.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CuddleCryptid posted:

If we were talking about just large scale multiplayer games I'd go for a public service thing more than anything. Large scale wildfires, search and rescue after natural disasters, hurricanes. Imagine several squads of firefighters needing to organize to put down a huge blaze and needing to manage the water pressure and levels as well as moving hoses around, all while EMT gets civilians out of there. You could do EMT, dispatcher, Fire, air patrol, basically any civil emergency response group. The only people you couldn't do are people who just kill people ie cops. You could even make it as a single shard city but have people do instanced emergencies away from home, and if a fire gets out of control on the overworld then it damages income or the like.

The Endless Emergencies of Catastrophe City

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I wonder if there would be a market for premium MMOs where the servers are relatively small and the devs are more hands-on with the populace so its a more boutique experience for a niche audience who pays a premium price for the experience. I think a maybe the rut for MMOs is they've basically hit pretty close to the optimal way, or at least the local optimal way, to please a whole bunch of players cost-effectively. To do more interesting things might need more resources and a more dedicated player base.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phigs posted:

I wonder if there would be a market for premium MMOs where the servers are relatively small and the devs are more hands-on with the populace so its a more boutique experience for a niche audience who pays a premium price for the experience. I think a maybe the rut for MMOs is they've basically hit pretty close to the optimal way, or at least the local optimal way, to please a whole bunch of players cost-effectively. To do more interesting things might need more resources and a more dedicated player base.

I am 100% positive that there is already something like this in the works somewhere entirely focused around NFTs

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

kedo posted:

lmao you are the only person in the world who wants this

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Phigs posted:

there was a heyday of RP ultima online servers that were like this. back when i was like 17 i played on a couple that would pull like 50-100 people concurrent and had poo poo tons of RP events and whatnot. Was really fun if you were into that stuff. was free tho.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Orange DeviI posted:

lmao you are the only person in the world who wants this

Oh let me be clear, I really do not want this (I find that type of simulator game to be terribly boring), I'm just trying to make a point. :P

CuddleCryptid posted:

I would, however, play this game! To be honest I'd really love to see basically any sort of MMO where the main focus isn't WoW-style quest/kill/level/loot because I love the idea of big open worlds with tons of players doing their own thing while helping or hindering other players, but there seems to be no appetite for it among developers outside of Palia. Modern MMOs that claim to have a lot to do outside of killing usually just means, "we have a lot of differently designed menus you can click when you're not killing things," which is just so boring.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Phigs posted:

i think when people want this sort of experience they tend to gravitate towards private servers for things they already know they like playing.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Phigs posted:

Stormhammer server flashbacks

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Phigs posted:

This is the D&Dification of MMOs. Its actully a reasonable request, its been tried a few times to some levels of success as well. One could reasonably take adventurers league content, add a combat engine that automates things better then being done so far, (turn based still) and add a DM managing things like NPCs and interactions.

The DM manager needs to be absolutely top notch and players need the ability to "think outside the box" in a way only a living DM could respond to, but also having all kinds of pre built tools that are easy to use for players and DMs would need to be huge.

Finally, the ability to move DMs over time would be the crowning part of a game like this. Adventurers league mostly was able to do this.

So I vote yes!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

kedo posted:

Oh let me be clear, I really do not want this (I find that type of simulator game to be terribly boring), I'm just trying to make a point. :P

I would, however, play this game! To be honest I'd really love to see basically any sort of MMO where the main focus isn't WoW-style quest/kill/level/loot because I love the idea of big open worlds with tons of players doing their own thing while helping or hindering other players, but there seems to be no appetite for it among developers outside of Palia. Modern MMOs that claim to have a lot to do outside of killing usually just means, "we have a lot of differently designed menus you can click when you're not killing things," which is just so boring.

I also would play the civil emergency response MMO. Seems like a good time, and emergency response things aren't even my thing.

Outside of Palia, there is like, that one recent storybook looking one I can't remember the name of, and I do know there used to be a decently sized crafting MMO back in the early 2000's. They exist, but they tend to get overshadowed by the standard MMORPG.

I guess you could also raise animals or go fishing in Wurm, although that game is pretty much super-granular Minecraft.

PyRosflam posted:

This is the D&Dification of MMOs. Its actully a reasonable request, its been tried a few times to some levels of success as well. One could reasonably take adventurers league content, add a combat engine that automates things better then being done so far, (turn based still) and add a DM managing things like NPCs and interactions.

The DM manager needs to be absolutely top notch and players need the ability to "think outside the box" in a way only a living DM could respond to, but also having all kinds of pre built tools that are easy to use for players and DMs would need to be huge.

Finally, the ability to move DMs over time would be the crowning part of a game like this. Adventurers league mostly was able to do this.

So I vote yes!

Reminds me of how in ye olden times than GMs in MMOs would occasionally do fun, on the spot stuff whether it was running some actual event or spawning a world boss where it's not supposed to be.

This would also be a rather neat experience if it was realized correctly.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 3, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I think in the FF14 MMO documentary they talked about how they had devs making and releasing enemies to fight players, live, in the hours before they brought the servers down

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I just want an MMORTS. Give me MMOmeworld please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What's wrong with Shattered Galaxy