Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

First two images of Sonic Prime on Netflix released.

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/netflix-unveils-upcoming-kids-animated-series-slate-featuring-fan-favorites

https://vandam.netflix.com/shares/5689ea31236a46beb3b2c9f1063f6905

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, I'm just baffled that there's a bunch of Sonic fans who now think Colors is one of the bad games? I've been playing through Colors Ultimate over the past week or so and it's been a ton of a fun. It has probably my favorite implementation of the series' ranking system.

What's even up with people complaining it has "Too many 2D sections despite claiming to be a 3D Sonic game"? Like, what even kind of criticism is that?

Baggot posted:

First two images of Sonic Prime on Netflix released.
[...]

Legit kind of disappointed the first slate of images aren't of weird and inexplicably baffling scenarios. I want our first experience to this series to be images of Sonic in a chili dog costume or Tails waiting in line at the DMV.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 3, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still no start date for the series I assume?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

First footage, timestamped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DimpNLizn-A&t=108s

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sonic Prime looking good.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

Still no start date for the series I assume?

No exact date but the document linked in the Netflix post has it listed under "series coming in 2022".

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Who’s voicing Sonic in Prime? The game guy or the movie guy? I’m terrible with voice recognition

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Looper posted:

you're supposed to be able to see your own hand on the vmu, which i legit think is a fun twist. emulators can set vmu screens to display on the main screen which leads to its own chaos but isn't quite as fun
I didn't have a Dreamcast, was it unusual to have a controller without a VMU? I'm under the impression they were extra / like the stuff you plug into N64 controllers. Seems kind of poor planning to not account for everyone having one in the party game.

Don't disagree that it's a fun idea, but just reminds me of the mess that was those gamecube games that use the GBA links.

KingKalamari posted:

Man, I'm just baffled that there's a bunch of Sonic fans who now think Colors is one of the bad games? I've been playing through Colors Ultimate over the past week or so and it's been a ton of a fun. It has probably my favorite implementation of the series' ranking system.
I've always thought Colors was a touch overrated - like it's good, but when I played it on Wii back in the day (I want to say post Generations,) like you get a lot of kind of short levels, and what felt like a fairly short game. Given I had just played Galaxy 1 or 2, it felt...underwhelming by comparison.

Then again, I guess Sonic games have always been shorter then Mario games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Who’s voicing Sonic in Prime? The game guy or the movie guy? I’m terrible with voice recognition

Neither most likely since it’s a Canadian production

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I didn't have a Dreamcast, was it unusual to have a controller without a VMU? I'm under the impression they were extra / like the stuff you plug into N64 controllers. Seems kind of poor planning to not account for everyone having one in the party game.

Don't disagree that it's a fun idea, but just reminds me of the mess that was those gamecube games that use the GBA links.

my dreamcast came with a vmu, but I'm not sure if they all did tbh. i would hope so though, they were the memory card for the system and were needed far more than the n64's. but yeah actually managing to get four of them in the same room was about as likely as getting a four person game of crystal chronicles going

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

hatty posted:

New guy.
Griffin Puatu is voicing Sonic in Prime.
Roger Craig Smith has been his voice actor for the most recent games.
Ben Schwartz is his VA in the movies. You can remember who Ben Schwartz is because he voices every 90s nostalgia character associated with the color blue.

Oxyclean posted:

I've always thought Colors was a touch overrated - like it's good, but when I played it on Wii back in the day (I want to say post Generations,) like you get a lot of kind of short levels, and what felt like a fairly short game. Given I had just played Galaxy 1 or 2, it felt...underwhelming by comparison.

Then again, I guess Sonic games have always been shorter then Mario games.

That's a much fairer assessment than most of the Sonic fandom at large seems to be giving Colors. I'd argue the level and game length become much less of a problem if you're trying to achieve S Ranks, which adds a lot to the replayability.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I say again, Colors was a good game, a fun game and a bad Sonic game.

Also, people resent it for the effect it had on the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has Griffin Puatu been in anything notable before or is he fairly new to the voice acting scene?

Also since this is done by a Canadian studio I wonder if we could get Gary Chalk back as Eggman

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 3, 2022

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Larryb posted:

Has Griffin Puatu been in anything notable before or is he fairly new to the voice acting scene?

Also since this is done by a Canadian studio I wonder if we could get Gary Chalk back as Eggman

Looking at some of his roles I recognise Louis in Beastars, Dohalim in Tales of Arise and Seox in Granblue Fantasy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

He's been around awhile with plenty of credits but mostly minor roles in anime and video games. I mostly know him as Louis from the Beastars dub.

Eggman is apparently voiced by Michael Dangerfield if imdb is anything to go off of. Of course that could be wrong. It also claims Ian James Corlett is reprising Coconuts which sounds dubious.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

He's got a little bit of VA work under his belt, but his most prominent role to date is as Louis in Beastars.

IMDB is currently listing Michael Daingerfield as the voice of Eggman, though Gary Chalk is also listed in the cast without a specific role. It also lists...What, what?!

...That has to be a hoax?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
IMDB is freely editable and whenever a show is announced and the cast is unconfirmed some random person just puts whatever names they feel like into it to stir up conversation, this has been true since like 2003 so I'm surprised people still fall for it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

my dreamcast came with a vmu, but I'm not sure if they all did tbh. i would hope so though, they were the memory card for the system and were needed far more than the n64's. but yeah actually managing to get four of them in the same room was about as likely as getting a four person game of crystal chronicles going
Also keep in mind most LPers are probably emulating, which I think tells the game "yeah, we totally have a normal VMU inserted" by default, so the game will hide your hand in-game and everyone assumes that's normal since Mario Party has fully random movement, so you can't blame them. And even if they wanted to change it the in-game menus are entirely cryptic icons so good fuckin luck. I'm not gonna argue that Sonic Shuffle becomes an amazing game when you can actually see your hand but, like, it at least becomes playable.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://twitter.com/Cybrid101/status/1521513277641080833

https://twitter.com/TailsChannel/status/1521513235597430791

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know who’s voicing who yet? And what has Deven Mack done before?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

Also keep in mind most LPers are probably emulating, which I think tells the game "yeah, we totally have a normal VMU inserted" by default, so the game will hide your hand in-game and everyone assumes that's normal since Mario Party has fully random movement, so you can't blame them. And even if they wanted to change it the in-game menus are entirely cryptic icons so good fuckin luck. I'm not gonna argue that Sonic Shuffle becomes an amazing game when you can actually see your hand but, like, it at least becomes playable.

i will blame them, the game grumps are stupid noobs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

06 and chaotix are both fun, and shuffle owns. opinion disqualified

Trolling is prohibited

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lmao that the Brian Drummond one was real.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

Lmao that the Brian Drummond one was real.

I will laugh hard if they actually wind up putting Knuckles’ dad in Prime (it would also probably piss off Ken Penders which makes it even better)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really wonder what the rationale behind Sonic’s arms, because this is the first non-game property in a while where they aren’t blue.

Personally, I don’t care either way, but it’s odd how they keep changing them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I could have sworn he had white arms in at least one of the 90’s cartoons but I could be wrong

I’m pretty sure his arms weren’t blue in the OVA or Sonic X at any rate

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 3, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It kinda looks like the blue part is painted on in the stills above. Looks strange

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

I really wonder what the rationale behind Sonic’s arms, because this is the first non-game property in a while where they aren’t blue.

Personally, I don’t care either way, but it’s odd how they keep changing them.

sonic shaves his arms to be more aerodynamic, amy does it as a fashion statement

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i also shave my arms

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The sphinx arm looked so cute i had to shave it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If that cast list is in order then it’s possible Brian Drummond is actually reprising his role as Knuckles (he previously voiced him back in Sonic Underground)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

blue knuckles

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I think there might be less then ten sonic games I want to play again.

Sonic Games I love:
Sonic 2, 3&K, SA2B, Generations, Mania
Sonic games that are good enough:
Sonic 1, Sonic CD, SA1, Racing Transformed
Sonic Games that weren't bad and I might be tempted to play again:
Sonic Adv1, Sonic Adv2, Colours
Sonic Games that maybe weren't bad but don't really have a desire to play again
Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic R, Tails Adventure, Sonic Battle,
Meh
Sonic 1 GG, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, SAdv3, Sonic Heroes,
Bad Sonic Games:
Sonic '06, Sonic 2 GG, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 4, Episode 1, Tails' Sky Patrol, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Games I haven't played and that probably says something about them being a sonic fan:
Secret Rings, Black Knight, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Forces, Sonic 4 Ep 2
Sonic Games I haven't played but am less ready to make a hot take on:
Sonic Riders Series, Sonic Team Racing, All-Star Racing

Where does Robotnick’s Mean Bean Machine fit in?

I hate how so many of the new animated shows these days are CGI instead of traditional 2D. It looks like rear end 90% of the time.

Withholding judgment on Sonic Prime but not blown away with the 4.5 seconds of footage we’ve seen so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It looks better than that Megaman cartoon made by the same studio so far at least

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have Sonic Mania mods they'd recommend? I know there's some character mods floating out there, but have no idea which are good / worth playing.

readingatwork posted:

Does it truly count? Good/fine through virtue of novelty & being puyo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/devenoclock/status/1521558837723119616?s=21&t=kSaFzdIuO2pusINvD87tmg

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had no idea who Devan Mack was a couple hours ago but he is our most precious resource and must be protected.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

readingatwork posted:

Ask the Puyo Puyo thread, why don't you!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the show cant be named sonic prime because the archie comics are already the prime universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sonic Colors is very good.