Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

flatluigi posted:

nobody in that original argument (including hoot) thought that there wasn't an issue with the rules but the card was still supposed to work as read; people were just frustrated at how pedantic the point being made was

The toughest part is the development playtesting

How will they know how powerful the effect of Equip Planeswalker (1) will be, if the text doesn't work under the rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, but it’s not well known or flashy enough. For as much as I hate the collectible market in general, and don’t even give a poo poo about any sports, there is absolutely a certain allure to watching randos crack baseball packs on tiktok because they could get a mega rare 1/5 double jersey bat auto rookie. A video of a dude cracking modern horizons has none of that thrill, even if they open a chase foil mythic. Wotc has got to be looking for a way to crank up that excitement, and it’s not like they could make mechanically unique cards at that rarity, so it’s all upside.

This is very obviously just testing the waters. They chose a card they knew wouldn't be tournament playable to try this on the first time, and it's still so rare that it's selling for $2k~ right now. All they have to do is get Ammano to do another Planeswalker and give it this rarity and it'll be worth 3 times as much.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 2, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, but it’s not well known or flashy enough. For as much as I hate the collectible market in general, and don’t even give a poo poo about any sports, there is absolutely a certain allure to watching randos crack baseball packs on tiktok because they could get a mega rare 1/5 double jersey bat auto rookie. A video of a dude cracking modern horizons has none of that thrill, even if they open a chase foil mythic. Wotc has got to be looking for a way to crank up that excitement, and it’s not like they could make mechanically unique cards at that rarity, so it’s all upside.
So like this?
https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/status/1458851557278203906?s=20&t=mvIClW-aLdUQq33NzRxpYA

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

lol I forgot about this, much better example

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GonSmithe posted:

This is very obviously just testing the waters. They chose a card they knew wouldn't be tournament playable to try this on the first time, and it's still so rare that it's selling for $2k~ right now. All they have to do is get Ammano to do another Planeswalker and give it this rarity and it'll be worth 3 times as much.

...I think I might have one.

Edit: Nevermind it's jsut the normal one. XD

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 2, 2022

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Pride secret lair incoming https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/first-look-pride-across-multiverse-2022-05-02

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No Xantcha. :argh:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

aww old Alesha

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

These are great... except that Heartbeat one. Looks like really bad DeviantArt fanfiction art. What is going on with their faces :laffo:

They have a really good style on their other art (NSFW) https://www.instagram.com/peomichie/?hl=en
So idk what happened with this one.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 2, 2022

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm iffy on Collective Voyage because Chandra/Nissa are on it but aren't interacting, and you wouldn't know it was supposed to be a Pride parade by the art alone. So they know they dropped the ball, but aren't actually going to pick it back up, just hover over it like they're about to.

I don't think Chandra/Nissa is even a good ship, but come on.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I’m really sad that bearscape isn’t one of the arena sleeves :(

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Show us the bear token wotc

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

If they did that they wouldn't get the flood of free publicity from people making Reddit posts about it 18 months from now

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/note-stranger-2022-05-02

this is a very cute story

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Show us the bear token wotc

This bear token could be incredibly expensive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cracked a bunch of new capenna, a case of set boosters and a case of collector boosters. gilded foils are pretty ridiculously rare in non-collector boosters, I got 5 total across 6 entire set booster boxes, two common, two uncommon, one rare.

meanwhile the collector boosters fairly vomit gilded foils at you, not one or more per pack, but quite a few all the same in the full case. heavily weighted towards rares it seems, I got 8 common, 11 uncommon, 10 rare, 1 mythic

as for triomes, the set boosters have a pretty normal pull rate; 21 all told, 18 regular, 1 showcase, 2 borderless, no foil. meanwhile the collector boosters had 22, 4 borderless foil, 4 borderless nonfoil, 1 showcase foil, 6 showcase nonfoil, 7 regular foil.

a bit disappointed the collector boxes don't have more triomes overall.

and of course a shitload of mythics. because I have the best luck, I got exactly 0 ob nixilis in the entire case, instead getting a bunch of elspeths, and the set boosters had 4 regular and one showcase ob nixilises. and only two titans of industry in all the collector boxes and set boxes.

I don't like one, sometimes two(maybe even three potentially?) slots being taken up by commander rares/mythics. bunch of mythics in the collector boosters were commander cards.

card quality is rock solid this time around, including the collector boosters, which is a refreshing change from their skimping on quality on their most expensive product before. the only thing that is absolute bottom tier trash quality is the "etched" foils, they're just...washed out. why even bother with them if they're not going to be the same level of quality as the commander legends ones.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 3, 2022

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

That was very cute. Magic prose is generally dire, but this was a sweet little vignette.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm iffy on Collective Voyage because Chandra/Nissa are on it but aren't interacting, and you wouldn't know it was supposed to be a Pride parade by the art alone. So they know they dropped the ball, but aren't actually going to pick it back up, just hover over it like they're about to.

I don't think Chandra/Nissa is even a good ship, but come on.

it seems she just moved on from Nissa, she kissed that Cathar girl in Innistrad

think about going on a cruise and meeting your ex...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
after going through everything from the six set boxes, a case of set boxes of new capenna will net you a shitload of stuff from the list and multiple sets of the stranger things secret lair replacements. for real, you get a shitload of the stranger things cards, nearly 3 full sets.

and a ton of the list cards, and not all bad stuff either.

one thing though, the foils in the set boxes were sometimes muted as poo poo, I didn't even notice this xander on the right was foil initially until I saw it next to the nonfoil one and realize it had a weird texture. no rainbow sheen whatsoever except when the camera flash went off, super muted and bad

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
A case of set boxes gets you a lot of things you could have spent a lot less money on

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hit me with another absolutely frigid take

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

for real, you get a shitload of the stranger things cards, nearly 3 full sets.

I'm going to guess this is why you can get a full set of the Stranger Things reprints for under $4?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I opened 1 collector booster box and got 6 Triomes.
1 extended foil bant

1 extended naya
1 extended esper

1 foil naya
1 foil esper

1 showcase jund

Think I got 3 mythics all duds, and 2 commander mythics. 3 gilded foil rares, all duds. 8 gilded foils overall?

Box was a complete dud outside the triomes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

hit me with another absolutely frigid take

ABU Duals are minus EV in paper constructed.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Balon posted:

A case of set boxes gets you a lot of things you could have spent a lot less money on

:thunk:

Post status: completely loving useless.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

ABU Duals are minus EV in paper constructed.
wut

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Captain Invictus posted:

after going through everything from the six set boxes, a case of set boxes of new capenna will net you a shitload of stuff from the list and multiple sets of the stranger things secret lair replacements. for real, you get a shitload of the stranger things cards, nearly 3 full sets.

and a ton of the list cards, and not all bad stuff either.

one thing though, the foils in the set boxes were sometimes muted as poo poo, I didn't even notice this xander on the right was foil initially until I saw it next to the nonfoil one and realize it had a weird texture. no rainbow sheen whatsoever except when the camera flash went off, super muted and bad

I had this issue with a couple of foils in my Set box as well. There was one card I had to keep looking at and comparing against other cards to determine that yes, it WAS a foil, but for some reason the foiling was barely noticeable.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

That was another totally frigid take

Also bc it was mentioned but unanswered: the list for SNC is slightly less than 100 cards and they are all rare/mythic, you aren't imagining anything. Frankly I wasn't going to buy any SNC but I'm in for a set box after hearing this to see what it's like bc I think it's a step in the right direction.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I am a degenerate gambler who loves throwing away money on set boosters but boy do collector boosters have zero appeal. For that price point I need to be guaranteed something to be excited about.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The TCG mid on a revised Tropical island is $650.
A Breeding Pool is 25 dollars.
How many games do you win while at 2 or less life?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

big cummers ONLY posted:

I am a degenerate gambler who loves throwing away money on set boosters but boy do collector boosters have zero appeal. For that price point I need to be guaranteed something to be excited about.
if the gilded foils were exclusive to collector packs I'd say they were definitely a worthy addition, but they also come in non-collector packs so lmao

the etched foils are exclusive to collector packs I think, but they are obscenely rare(got 2 in 6 collector boxes) and look like absolute trash so also lmao

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

The TCG mid on a revised Tropical island is $650.
A Breeding Pool is 25 dollars.
How many games do you win while at 2 or less life?

How often do you fetch just one dual

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Captain Invictus posted:

if the gilded foils were exclusive to collector packs I'd say they were definitely a worthy addition, but they also come in non-collector packs so lmao

the etched foils are exclusive to collector packs I think, but they are obscenely rare(got 2 in 6 collector boxes) and look like absolute trash so also lmao

Cap you seem to know your poo poo when it comes to this. Are collector boosters better for someone who doesn’t give a poo poo about commons and uncommons?

I have a use or lose it budget at work to spend on hobbies and wondering which product is best when I want to open packs. Biggest problem I see with collectors is that foils tend to Pringle.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mandatory lesbian posted:

And how often do you pick up a Tropical Island for Daze or Gush

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JackDarko posted:

Cap you seem to know your poo poo when it comes to this. Are collector boosters better for someone who doesn’t give a poo poo about commons and uncommons?

I have a use or lose it budget at work to spend on hobbies and wondering which product is best when I want to open packs. Biggest problem I see with collectors is that foils tend to Pringle.
in regards to new capenna packs: you get 4 foil commons and 2 foil uncommons and a foil full art land in every new capenna collector pack, straight up. so subtract that from whatever rares/mythics you expect from each pack. then you get 2-3 showcase frame versions of a fairly wide variety of cards, some in foil, and occasional gilded frames. then you get your commander full art card, then whatever foil rares/mythics, then the last slot before the token slot is the big hit full art foil/gilded rare or mythic/etched foil/showcase foil etc.

the collector packs have a much higher propensity for the borderless triomes which are highly sought after, certain etched foils are absurdly expensive and exclusive to collector packs, and there's some gilded foils that are big money. you get a lot of flashy rares and mythics in almost entirely foil and showcase per collector pack, so if you're ABSOLUTELY GOING TO CRACK PACKS, collector packs will get you the most bang for your buck when it comes to flashy-looking rares and mythics.

Set boosters have a higher propensity for rares and mythics than draft boosters, rarely up to four in a single pack, but also have the first half of the pack being commons/uncommons and a totally useless art card(exceptions being: art cards representing certain high-use rares/mythics, art cards representing basic lands, and some specific gold-stamped artist signed art cards). That said, they're much much cheaper than collector packs, of course, you can get 60 set boosters vs 12 collector boosters. so it depends on if you want flashy foils and extended art versions of rares/mythics, or a lot more of the standard normal framed versions with the occasional showcase or foil.

As for New Capenna foils, they are very good. Very little curling vs previous sets. I've got a stack of common foils sitting out and while they have very slightly curled, it's definitely nothing compared to the legendarily bad commander legends foils. I recommend sleeving foil rares/mythics immediately though, regardless, so you don't scratch any or anything.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Unregulated Gambling For Children

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I tried to buy barrels of oil instead of Magic cards when I was eleven, but my parents wouldn’t let me

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you are going to waste money on packs either:

1) Play limited with the packs
2) Open a bunch on Arena so you can see just how badly you are about to throw your money away

I used my saved up gold from wins and quests to buy 100 packs of every new standard set on Arena, and every single time I say to myself, "I am so glad I never spend actual cash on this poo poo."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Not often enough to pay a 625 premium. That's 312.50 per life point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Not often enough to pay a 625 premium. That's 312.50 per life point.

What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?