Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

a real chump posted:

Dunno if this will work from phone but someone did all the drivers as old men and it owns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-yOr_Nok9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

goddamn Checo looks like the most interesting man in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

goddamn Checo looks like the most interesting man in the world

Netflix is sitting on a ton of checo footage in mexico (not the race him at home) motherfuckers :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That will never not be bizarre, Netflix taking up days and days of a multi millionaire's time, when driver's schedules are in 5 minute blocks on a race weekend, and then going "sorry nope didn't use you in the show lol"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

learnincurve posted:

That will never not be bizarre, Netflix taking up days and days of a multi millionaire's time, when driver's schedules are in 5 minute blocks on a race weekend, and then going "sorry nope didn't use you in the show lol"

I have a friend who works in the tv business, specifically for scripted “reality” and actual reality shows like live contests and whatnot. The scripted stuff is pretty scheduled but the stuff that’s actually real seems like it’s an exercise in filming as much poo poo as possible then coming up with a way to turn that in to a narrative that you want. The show is essentially created well after the filming depending on what the producers want to show that episode or set of episodes.

It makes more sense when you think of it that way. Maybe now that Netflix is taking a big poo poo in profitability they’ll have to be more frugal with this kind of stuff but who knows.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm watching Drive to Survive for the first time now, and it's quite incredible just how many little moments are captured.

Having a background in media I'm thinking there must be an immense film crew on this series.

Not only do they capture everything that seemingly goes on in the pit crew and pen, with clear audio from the crew chiefs and engineers, they also have fairly immediate reaction shots of drivers wives, mother's, families etc. They always seem to have a camera at the right place, right time.

I fully expect many of the individual driver interviews are filmed after the fact, as well as lots of reaction shots of crew and drivers from different times being repurposed to tell their narrative, but they are capturing plenty of what you'd think are private phone calls, and footage that you'd otherwise think would be kept quiet - staff being chewed out, airing their real thoughts on drivers and rivalries, etc.

I'm guessing there must be some serious Netflix money being paid to Guenther Steiner and Christian Horner, or perhaps their teams, because they literally have their entire race weekends on tape.. That, or of all the footage they capture, theirs is the most entertaining.

I wondered if after the first season the teams would be a bit more guarded about their interactions with Netflix, but if anything it seems they ramp it up! Though it definitely seems that they are perhaps being a bit more aware of their presence.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also, the Netflix crew only embeds with certain teams each race, and then that helps drive what narrative they end up using.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Maybe he's just the dullest man on earth when outside of a racing car. They watched all the footage and were like "holy gently caress this sucks"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I’m going to Miami for work next week. Hoping I can score some leftover merch.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Full Collapse posted:

I’m going to Miami for work next week. Hoping I can score some leftover merch.

See if you can get a piece of N64 water plywood.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
They released the Miami track map with DRS points and for all three, the detection point is well into the acceleration zone out of the previous corner. This means we won't see DRS chicken a la Jeddah

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

See if you can get a piece of N64 water plywood.

I’d hope to tile my basement with it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://twitter.com/scuderiaferrari/status/1521457856213667840?s=21&t=tSAN-YhDockPiBcNkSXRQA

EuropeansInAmerica.txt

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

a real chump posted:

Dunno if this will work from phone but someone did all the drivers as old men and it owns.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc-yOr_Nok9/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Disappointed it isn't Alonso's normal picture.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
can we ban the US from the F1 circuit once it make abortions illegal again?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The F1 drive lineup has some primo examples of why abortion should be legal

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

nawilo_420 posted:

can we ban the US from the F1 circuit once it make abortions illegal again?

F1 continuing it's tradition of racing in countries with rampant human rights abuses.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Aphex- posted:

Maybe he's just the dullest man on earth when outside of a racing car. They watched all the footage and were like "holy gently caress this sucks"

That’s what happened with Stoffel in Grand Prix Driver a few years back but they didn’t have footage of anybody else so they made the show anyway and nobody watched it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ilmucche posted:

The F1 drive lineup has some primo examples of why abortion should be legal

but enough about lants stroll

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That’s what happened with Stoffel in Grand Prix Driver a few years back but they didn’t have footage of anybody else so they made the show anyway and nobody watched it

hey now they also meticulously documented mclaren eating absolute poo poo while dealing with honda

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Aphex- posted:

I fully believe that Checo is a boring family man and it's another reason he owns and is WDC 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think people here root for Checo because they want to root for Red Bull but think saying cHeCo WDC 2o22 is a way to not be terrible people.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you’re Red Bull fans by proxy and that means you are therefor terrible people by proxy.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Checo was a good lad at Force India. He got them 3 podiums and saved the team after Vijay's embezzlement charges took hold.

I like it when Checo does well :unsmith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Checo in Austin 2016 grabbing every microphone he could to tell people not to vote for Trump and his racist wall was his Good Lad moment imo.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

boop the snoot posted:

I think people here root for Checo because they want to root for Red Bull but think saying cHeCo WDC 2o22 is a way to not be terrible people.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you’re Red Bull fans by proxy and that means you are therefor terrible people by proxy.

This.

Red Bull are loving awful and Checo is your German great grandfather who was "just following orders" by blocking Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi.

E: OK that's maybe a bit strong even by my usually low posting standards

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The best reason not to root for Checo is that he isn't very good. You're basically rooting for the car when you pull for Checo, because he does not add much value of his own. Nice guy, maybe a hair above average, driving-wise, on his best days. Call it the Ricciardo Rule.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

checo won his first race after he got fired. lmao.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Checo is an ex Papaya Boi and therefore will always be amazing!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Charles Leclerc posted:

This.

Red Bull are loving awful and Checo is your German great grandfather who was "just following orders" by blocking Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi.

E: OK that's maybe a bit strong even by my usually low posting standards

your point is well made even if it is a bit over the top

rooting for check is supporting max verstappen

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The little girl in Schindler's List was wearing scarlet, so really everyone except Ferrari are the Nazis if you think about it.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I root for a situation in which Verstappen must yield to Perez on team orders for like the last third of the season. While this does mean rooting for Checo, I feel like it is also rooting against Red Bull in an important way and so I sleep comfortably and with a clear conscience.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

acidx posted:

The little girl in Schindler's List was wearing scarlet, so really everyone except Ferrari are the Nazis if you think about it.

One of the most credible arguments made in this thread

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

acidx posted:

well yeah they just called themselves fascists because they invented it

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

FAUXTON posted:

well yeah they just called themselves fascists because they invented it

they were trying to say "fastests"

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

ArmZ posted:

checo won his first race after he got fired. lmao.

I saw the cliff notes version of that race last night watching Drive to Survive.

Not only did he win the race, he went from fifth on the grid, to an accident that put him dead last, to race winner...

It was a pretty impressive drive!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lucasar posted:

I root for a situation in which Verstappen must yield to Perez on team orders for like the last third of the season. While this does mean rooting for Checo, I feel like it is also rooting against Red Bull in an important way and so I sleep comfortably and with a clear conscience.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I saw the cliff notes version of that race last night watching Drive to Survive.

Not only did he win the race, he went from fifth on the grid, to an accident that put him dead last, to race winner...

It was a pretty impressive drive!

Checo WDC 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sounds like Checo was sandbagging and then they called his bluff.

What a jerk imho.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm glad that goons are back to "Perez can be WDC" levels of delusion again. I think you've all been huffing too much fumes from your gas powered stoves.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

When are we going back to racing in a 1st world country?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

japan is back this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

I'm glad that goons are back to "Perez can be WDC" levels of delusion again. I think you've all been huffing too much fumes from your gas powered stoves.

need a hit from the thread's communal crack pipe?