Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m rooting for the Oilers in this round because gently caress the Kings, HOWEVER an Oilers first round exit would be the second funniest first round exit of the year (after Toronto), so it’s hard to say what I’m really rooting for in this series

I would almost take that over 16+ games of heart attacks at the hands of Mike Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It was a pretty easy call to make when the Leafs head coach is literally threatening violence through the media days in advance and dresses a terrible meathead who never plays specifically for game 1. Clifford was obligated to do something stupid, Keefe might as well have demanded it. Keefe is also a former professional shithead himself so there’s no question what his expectations were.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Powershift posted:

I would almost take that over 16+ games of heart attacks at the hands of Mike Smith.

What, you didn't love this sequence?

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1521349736028151808

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Who could have predicted the Oilers getting outgoalered I'm the playoffs???

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Kings and Oilers should trade Quick for McDavid right now to make this an interesting series.

As it is, it's going to be a shitshow of Oilers offense v Kings defense, with Mike Smith giving up a few lovely goals each game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
is it true that Mike Smith has lost his last 10 playoff games in a row, of which 6 are with the Edmonton Oilers? lol

He's literally done this to them every time they put him in there for the playoffs and they are still using the guy for a 3rd year in a row.. what the gently caress Edmonton

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Starsfan posted:

is it true that Mike Smith has lost his last 10 playoff games in a row, of which 6 are with the Edmonton Oilers? lol

He's literally done this to them every time they put him in there for the playoffs and they are still using the guy for a 3rd year in a row.. what the gently caress Edmonton

Got me curious and yep it's true. Last win was a shutout for Calgary back in '19:

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Pretty loving insane that this is the first time I have ever preferred LA or Toronto to win a series and it’s happening at the same time.

(Would still love it if the Leafs lost though)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 3, 2022

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
There are few things better in life than waking up to a colossal Mike Smith gently caress up

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Looks like tight playoff hockey is off the menu, boys

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

There are few things better in life than waking up to a colossal Mike Smith gently caress up

They power my existence. I thought the Oilers looked pretty good outside of goaltending though (three of the Kings goals were really weak). Spence and Martinez were getting walked all night. I am not sure how a 20 year ended up matched against McDavid but it was bad.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Wonderllama posted:

Looks like tight playoff hockey is off the menu, boys

BOS-CAR was that until late 3rd period. Tight but fun.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
it is really irritating they're starting central games at 830

the demographics the NHL wants go to bed at a reasonable hour

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
"The Oilers have been tied in the last 12 minutes of the 3rd period in their last 7 playoff games. Their record in those games is 0-7."

:laugh:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's not nice to pile on and I'm sure it'll jinx the Kings, but....

Mike Smith lost the West finals to the Kings in 2012. Yesterday was only his 11th playoff game since then.

Overall, Smith is 2-14 in his last 16 playoff games.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

"The Oilers have been tied in the last 12 minutes of the 3rd period in their last 7 playoff games. Their record in those games is 0-7."

:laugh:

Seems bad!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Mike Smith's 4 prior playoff series:

He was actually pretty good until game 3 in 2019.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Winless is games where he has allowed a goal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Mike Smith's 4 prior playoff series:

He was actually pretty good until game 3 in 2019.

Even in that game, guy was getting pelted by a pretty good team. Smith has his moments, he just shouldn't be a starter anymore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tonight, the Caps will look good in the first period, maybe even into the second. Heck they might even get a 1 goal lead at some point. But then Vanacek or Samsonov will let in a softy and the floodgates will open. Caps lose 5-1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jtbourne/status/1521471672066490368

NHL Playoffs N/V: DON'T

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ve seen some bad goalie puck handling, but chucking the puck into the slot with 5 minutes left in a tied game is truly something else.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hi its been years but go avs and cats.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WeaponX posted:

I’ve seen some bad goalie puck handling, but chucking the puck into the slot with 5 minutes left in a tied game is truly something else.

Exactly what Jarry did last year

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Spurgeon's probably only getting fined, but he's gonna get heavy hits the next couple games I imagine

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1521346837986304000

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
HE'S LIKE A 3RD DEFENCEMAN OUT THERE TM

too bad the other 2 defenceman are Kris Russell and Cody Ceci

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 3, 2022

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
It just hit me looking at the schedule that out of all the PST West Coast teams in the league, LA is the only one that made it.

Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, Seattle, Arizona out. Hope we still get a healthy dose of late games in the second round.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Spurgeon's probably only getting fined, but he's gonna get heavy hits the next couple games I imagine

The NHL needs to investigate whatever freaky Friday thing is going on with the Blues and Wild, where the Blues are now the entertaining skilled team who probably aren't good enough, and the Wild are filled with lovely cheap shot artists.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mike_V posted:

That’s psycho behavior

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

The NHL needs to investigate whatever freaky Friday thing is going on with the Blues and Wild, where the Blues are now the entertaining skilled team who probably aren't good enough, and the Wild are filled with lovely cheap shot artists.

Blues have Buch, Saad, Tarasenko, Thomas and Kyrou as skilled non cheap shot players.

Blues just also don’t have any good defensemen.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

WeaponX posted:

That’s psycho behavior

That's playoff hockey!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

I mean I expect some lovely high/low hits, dirty plays in the corner, lots of dumb scrums, slashing hands, etc but that’s like a whole new level of blatant and nasty.

I guess I should be happy he wasn’t trying to give anyone CTE tho!

Edit: also crazy that it’s Lady Byng/Masterton nominee Spurgeon. Like he just went totally psycho there for a minute.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 3, 2022

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

Yeah, I'm not reading more into this than he got fallen on and responded with frustration to the same part that the contact was. That's a fine though definitely.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Chris Simon would have severed the guys leg... 2 minute minor for ankle interference.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

*tom wilson flies into frame*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuo2oF5B4o

That's playoff hockey!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
actually that was an idiot douchbag mad his team sucked and trying to break someone's ankle in response to it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Yeah that's some loving trash right there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Another Bill posted:

That's playoff hockey!

Yeah basically

I hate it, but history has shown you can murder a man on the ice in the playoffs and get away with it

Unless I'm cheering for someone, in which case the league presses the "make random shlub sad" button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Aye Doc posted:

*tom wilson flies into frame*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyuo2oF5B4o

That's playoff hockey!

I am definitely a little afraid Tommy Boy is going to do something horrible out of frustration after the Panthers repeatedly dunk on the Caps.