Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I ended up just directing the poo lake to a real lake so it all goes there. People always want affordable waterfront property. My citizens were constantly sick but they didn't seem to mind. They were happy.

I went through all the DLC and bought everything that sounded interesting which was basically everything except Airports/map packs/radio and I started a new city with a eco-friendly mindset determined not to repeat past mistakes but my people are unhappy. They miss poo lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Getting hooked on skylines again big time I guess.

It was really fucky, but I managed to pull off a working pier based amusement park. It's pretty popular!

Naturally lots of trains.

Old industrial waterfront slowly transitioning to residential.

Trams of course too

Narrow pedestrianized streets in the core

Downtown is full of gentle hills which adds interest.

Mostly a grid, but enough off-grid streets to mix things up a little.

It's a nice place to live!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Does anyone know of a good collection/theme on the workshop suitable for a former industrial district being turned into residential units? Factories and warehouses converted into lofts, that kind of thing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What role does happiness play in the game?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

death cob for cutie posted:

Does anyone know of a good collection/theme on the workshop suitable for a former industrial district being turned into residential units? Factories and warehouses converted into lofts, that kind of thing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=783873409&searchtext=loft
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=612553773&searchtext=loft
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=766298210&searchtext=loft
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791248707&searchtext=loft
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=697292814&searchtext=loft (Avanya has this building in a few shapes/textures)

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Baronjutter posted:

Getting hooked on skylines again big time I guess.

These look really good!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baron Porkface posted:

Happiness makes growables upgrade.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Dark poo poo to be saying man. Hope all is well.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I know if my cargo train station have been receiving trains; or if incoming trains are blocked by rail layout fucekry?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Usually you can tell because they are generating a lot of traffic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So there's a meme about a locomotive with an extra long back porch that's "big enough to grill on". I decided to use PO to make a locomotive prop have such a long porch as a joke. It turned into a whole restaurant.

It's along an abandoned railway that's been turned into a path.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

That's a cool touch

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

So there's a meme about a locomotive with an extra long back porch that's "big enough to grill on". I decided to use PO to make a locomotive prop have such a long porch as a joke. It turned into a whole restaurant.

It's along an abandoned railway that's been turned into a path.

:discourse:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wish I would spend more time weaving lore into my cities instead of looking at road paint and thinking "Is ThIs ReAlIsTiC?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hello skylines thread!!
I've always hated the lack of low-rise detached apartments in the game so I commissioned the great Smilies to make a set and he really did an amazing job. If anyone wants some very flexible lovely wood frame apartments there's now a whole set here. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2792746225

They form a great transition between old pre-war apartments and single family zones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What LUT do you use for those pictures?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a megamod pack now that the game is no longer being updated?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
It’s not getting updates anymore? :confused:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

what the gently caress do I gotta do to make these commercial zones happy anyway. Fuckin' sourpusses hovering at 54% while everyone else is happy as a clam

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a megamod pack now that the game is no longer being updated?

:confused:

Got 5 new DLC this spring including major Airports DLC

Looks like 4 minor patches this year, the most recent being March 10

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of DLC, what's the purchase priority? It's been a bit since I played and there's $200+ worth of DLC now.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

Speaking of DLC, what's the purchase priority? It's been a bit since I played and there's $200+ worth of DLC now.

Mathmatically: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/wiki/bestdlc

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

QuantaStarFire posted:

It absolutely depends on how you play the game and what sort of cities you want to build. If you want bikes in your city you need afterdark. The rest of afterdark sucks and is bad, but if you want bikes you need it. If you want trams you need to buy snowfall. Most people don't touch the actual snowfall mechanics since they are poo poo and force you to build on an all-snow map, but you need the DLC for trams. Luckily CO go away from these weird bundles of totally unrelated content with later DLC.

-The transit DLC is ok but most of the transit it adds isn't very useful and it's novelty stuff like blimps and gondolas and they're all very edge-use situations. Ferries are sort of neat but again very situational. The DLC comes with some stations, but there's far better ones on the workshop.

-Industries tries to add some production chain logistics to the game, but shits the bed when it comes to the logistics side of things. There's no direct rail links to any of these massive industries so it's all massive fleets of trucks and unlike every other freight logistics game in the history of mankind, you can't set up manual routes so you just have to hope the game's bad pathfinding will figure things out.

-Disasters is entirely skippable if you don't want to have your hours of work randomly undone.

-Green cities adds essentially no new gameplay, just some kinda eco-future looking buildings. If you're interested in those buildings, don't worry about it.

-Parklife is very good actually. It lets you finally build big multi-building parks where you can place buildings along internal paths. There's a couple essential mods for it out there that expand what you can place in the parks too.

-Campus is an ok DLC. It essentially lets universities function the same way parks do. Define a big campus area and then you can place buildings inside and they all function as one big university. It's not essential, the vanilla university system works fine, but it allows much more realistic universities.

-Sunset Harbour is a huge flop. The fishing industry it adds is a joke, they send out nearly bumper to bumper fleets of fishing boats that loop around a small area like an amusement park ride and look terrible. It adds a couple other random disjointed other things. Feels more like the bad early CO dlc.

-Airports is pretty neat. The vanilla airports are extremely bad and out of scale, the DLC lets you build something much more believable. There's not a lot of depth to it, but it's a pretty well done DLC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Here's some progress!

Turned an abandoned historic mill island into a train/logging museum!

The museum is at the end of an abandoned railway that's been converted into a path.

A terrible friend who saw me struggling with odd shaped angled lots only just now sent me a bunch of angled assets. A lot of them are very nice so I was FORCED to rip up a bunch of my finished downtown and install some weird angled roads to make use of them. Angles are nightmares even with proper assets.

Sometimes when an area is too fucky-shaped you just make a park or a square and call it a day.

Just generally been refining things, adding more detail, better transitions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a mega mod pack now that I no longer care about updates?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there a mega mod pack now that I no longer care about updates?

No, go get your poo poo from the workshop like everyone else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So, uh... is the loading screen mod an artifact of the past now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Absolutely not, 100% essential. Will save you gigs of texture memory because the vanilla game refuses to implement texture sharing. Got 10 trees using the same texture? Skylines will load that texture 10 times. Also the report lsm generates is super good for finding missing assets

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The original loading screen mod doesn't work anymore, there's an updated one someone else made.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

The original loading screen mod doesn't work anymore, there's an updated one someone else made.

Yeah, Airports DLC broke the original one and the author of it is AWOL but Klyte made a fixed version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2731207699
Essential mod if you're running a bunch of other mods because it reduces overhead by letting assets share textures and props and stuff.

Baronjutter posted:

Here's some progress!

Turned an abandoned historic mill island into a train/logging museum!

:eyepop:
What map theme / LUT are you using here?

QuantaStarFire posted:

The ones that feel like they add the most gameplay-wise are the ones that let you make whole special districts: Parklife, Industries, and Campus.

Being able to make customized parkland areas with trails and props and recreation buildings and stuff is such a great addition if you're really into landscaping to make your cities look pretty. I find I use the Zoo and Amusement park options less, but they're cool to be able to build if your city wants it.

The Industry zones that the Industries DLC has you building are a neat way theme your cities, you can build a company town around farms or oil or mineral extraction or forestry and the assets for all of them are pretty well done and add a lot of visual interest beyond the generic industrial zoning, and if you're clever with your landscaping and layout you can make some neat-looking stuff:

Industry zones add a whole other layer of traffic management as they generate a ton of freight traffic so you basically have to give them their own dedicated highway / rail connections but that can be a fun planning challenge to tackle.

The Campus DLC doesn't do a huge amount to actually affect the sim besides replacing the vanilla university buildings and potentially making money if you can grow and level them up and have a lot of students. The campus areas are very visually pleasing and fun to build though, which IMO is most of the point of this game. It also adds varsity sports stadiums.

Most of the other DLCs are a fairly mixed bag of random stuff in each one.
-Snowfall looked cool at first but I found the novelty of snow maps wears off very quickly when you realize everything just looks more bleak and uninteresting in winter. The main thing people like about that DLC is that it adds streetcar trolleys.
-After Dark adds roads with bike lanes, and some random transit and leisure buildings, as well as some commercial zone specializations (tourist and of course an optional day-night cycle.)
-Mass Transit adds monorails and cable cars and a bunch of new roads that are probably redundant if you run mods.
-Green Cities just adds a bunch of "eco" versions of stuff that is honestly not that interesting.

There's good in-depth rundowns on what's actually contained in all the DLC packs here: https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Downloadable_content

They periodically go on sale so just wait for the next Steam sale and see which of the good ones they discount.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For reasons I definitely don't understand my save file will load again so I took some pictures.

Over the last two years I've haphazardly grown the city until it has become a Tokyo style high density carpet. The original city is pretty much the upper left quadrant of this shot. The harbor tech park area on the far right has completely sprawled into the city core. The east side of the river where the camera is has now been developed, which posed a lot of problems for road and rail traffic. The only thing left to pave is the lowland forest area at the top which doesn't seem likely as my CPU is already starting to chug.

But let's not pretend you sickos care about anything but weird junctions.

On the east side of the river I eventually had to remove every single 4-way stop. They're now all roundabouts with varying levels of weirdness, and mostly grade-separated from pedestrian traffic. You can see the fused grids really clearly here. Pedestrians can move between neighborhoods on paths and subway trains without impediment, but road traffic has to stick to arterials until it reaches its destination neighborhood.

This bypassed roundabout design with slip lanes works pretty well and I've reused it several times in more attractive shapes.

But this one had so much left turn traffic I eventually had to add a left turn bypass as well. I'm not sure how I ended up with this bizarre street level design but it finally works.

This intersection was a constant headache. It may not be pretty but at least it's now clear.

This intersection comes off the highway bridge at the bottom and it was so impossible that I eventually had to remove the junction. Now pedestrians can enjoy Road Noise Memorial Park.

The Butler Square/College Park area is the worst intersection in the city. More than 200 cims cross the street here every light cycle, and it's the only road route (due to the hill and the river) between two major high density areas. With despawning off it backs up traffic for miles. As you can see the number of junctions is pretty minimal, but the volume of flow and the number of left turns and pedestrians just backs things up forever.

I'm not sure how to fix the behavior you see where every car lines up as if it's going to make a left turn.

Help

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 5, 2022

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not sure how to fix the behavior you see where every car lines up as if it's going to make a left turn.
Help

This can often be fixed by fiddling around with turning lanes, i.e. making sure there's only one lane for traffic turning left/right, with the other lanes dedicated to straight on. That's a pretty loving big road, so the cars will choose the other 2/3 lanes if they know that the left lane is for turning only.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Arglebargle III posted:

asphalt spaghetti

Help

All I can offer you is prayers, my friend.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

More than 200 cims cross the street here every light cycle

Use TMPE and turn off crossings at the busiet intersections. Replace those with pedestrian overpasses. There's a set of elevator lots (really just a model covering very closely placed path nodes) on the workshop to help make that even more compact, or go underground!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Arglebargle III posted:

asphalt spaghetti

Help

Ethics_Gradient posted:

All I can offer you is prayers, my friend.

Please, my brothers and sisters, will you also pray for me? Thank you.

https://i.imgur.com/E8RQIe5.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/SWFb01n.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8GStV68.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QXf1CSD.mp4

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You should only be allowed to make that poo poo if you also have to design the signage for it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You have strayed from the light of god.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Feels like I should be hearing Josh from Let’s Game It Out while watching those

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This fucker is getting big.

People love to look at old trains

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Asset wishlist:

I'd really love a cargo terminal (freight train station / cargo harbour) that looks like one of these massive grain elevator piers: