Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah, my assumption (unless the show confirmed and I missed it) was some member of authority was asking questions, there's no way word wouldn't get around.

Someone like the assistant DA in the episode before last?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ballz posted:

I loved it too and she should give herself more scenes doing this :heysexy:

Seriously though, Rhea’s directorial debut was fantastic and she’s clearly learning from the best. I’m really excited to see where her post-Saul career takes her, both in front and now behind the camera.

I loved how casually intimate that scene was, as an alternative to the many "do crimes, Kim snogs Saul" scenes. She might be in love with James McGill, but she has the hots for Slippin' Jimmy, and it's starting to bleed into their entire relationship.

Ozark fell spectacularly at the final hurdle, but I still have faith in BCS.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The weirdest thing Gus does is enter his home from the front door. Who does that?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Last Chance posted:

Someone like the assistant DA in the episode before last?

Well yes, but going to people other than Kim obviously.

Unless she only went to Kim who spread word as a long-con :tinfoil: .

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Beefed Owl posted:

Sorry if this has been noted or talked about previously, but something I noticed which is a pretty obvious theme is the use of color

Blue is innocence, red is criminality, yellow is latent criminality. Jimmy’s first car was yellow with a replacement red door. Kim wears a lot of red, especially outside the Kettlemans’ when she makes the Jimmy leaning on the car pose. And her outfit for lunch with Cliff is white-red with black-red on the cuffs.

She wears blue when she’s meeting with her clients, but a very subtle detail is she says “bring as many family members as possible”… for someone wearing all red. That client did it, but Kim is still providing them legal council.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Nacho's flower is blue after he sacrificed himself to protect his father

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Any other shots from previous episodes or season 6 trailers that we haven't seen in the show yet, that we can wildly speculate on and misinterpret?

I'm not saying this against our discussions but of the fact that the editors REALLY love pulling that move.

Edit: :lol:

So I rewatched the season 6 trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz3u06eXf0E

As far as I can tell, we've already seen every episode that each and every one of these clips come from. Outside of the boxing ring (which isn't even IN this trailer) and 6x05's episode trailer, everything from here on out is as-yet-unseen and/or even hinted at.

Neat!

Edit 2: here's the second one. Again, most of it has already happened. You know we're going to get a 'second half of the season' trailer eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8OuX3WYCdA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 3, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

yeah everything in the 1st trailer we've seen now. From the 2nd trailer we still have yet to see the boxing ring, Francesca banging at the window, or Lalo in his suit. All three of those elements have appeared in our "on the next better call saul" previews as well, though Lalo and Howard's scenes I think appeared in the preview after episode 2, as a curveball.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh there's a quick shot of a doctor or scientist pouring a liquid, which I think is probably related to the quick shot we see of a doctor or scientist in the mirror from the recent preview

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

oh there's a quick shot of a doctor or scientist pouring a liquid, which I think is probably related to the quick shot we see of a doctor or scientist in the mirror from the recent preview

I wouldn't be surprised if that's some sort of innocuous cold open next week, maybe the way Gus makes meth before the super lab.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I liked the light-hearted touch Rhea gave the episode presumably before poo poo starts to really go down. The scene with Hamlin talking about his dream and then we cut to Jimmy, it almost looks like we're gonna get to see his dream for a second.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

She wears blue when she’s meeting with her clients, but a very subtle detail is she says “bring as many family members as possible”… for someone wearing all red. That client did it, but Kim is still providing them legal council.

That's not shady or unethical at all. Even people who did it still deserve legal council (whether they intend to fight the charge or plea down). It's not like Jimmy helping Lalo defraud the court.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's not shady or unethical at all. Even people who did it still deserve legal council (whether they intend to fight the charge or plea down). It's not like Jimmy helping Lalo defraud the court.

Yeah, exactly. "Who are they?" "Oh, that's your fake family that was brought in to help sway the judge when ruling on the murder you very much committed."

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Luff posted:

This guy?

Looks like a new character to me.

Edit: Added spoiler tags for preview discussion

yeah that looks like that nerd that likes WW

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah, my assumption (unless the show confirmed and I missed it) was some member of authority was asking questions, there's no way word wouldn't get around.

Sure, okay, but I imagined they would be discreet about things if they thought Saul might become an informant. Court secretaries and even, presumably, low-level criminals (Saul's new clients) knowing what happened means there's no way it could remain a secret if Saul cooperates.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bill called de Guzman a murderer, not a cartel guy or a Salamanca. The office gossip may well be that Saul is a cartel guy and no one wants to say it to his face, but most of his clients before were charged with vandalism or larceny or at worst robbery, and he mostly earned them lenient verdicts or plea deals and the occasional mistrial. Letting an obviously guilty murderer skip out on bail could just be a bridge too far.

fuckin Spooge knowing him as "the Salamanca guy" is a far bigger stretch in my book

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

yeah that looks like that nerd that likes WW

I have to disagree; I know it's somewhat out of focus, but that's very much not David Costabile.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Letting an obviously guilty murderer skip out on bail could just be a bridge too far.

Further to this, it was Saul/Jimmy himself who delivered the $7mil, so that likely doesn't sit well with his co-lawyers. Or is that how that's normally done, with the lawyer taking care of the bail money? Obviously, they don't know that he was the one who trudged through the desert with it, as far as they know, someone gave him the money outside of the bail office.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 3, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

fuckin Spooge knowing him as "the Salamanca guy" is a far bigger stretch in my book

I'm not so sure that it's that big of a stretch. As far as BCS/BB is concerned, there's pretty much 2 major players that are running meth in ABQ, one of them being the Salamanca's. There seems to only be a couple steps between the Salamanca's and the users, so it would make sense for the users to have heard their name, and the same rumors that are flying around the courthouse would also be flying around the druggies.

That also leaves a pretty big and obvious hole that we are in the dark on. There's not really anyone in ABQ to run the Salamanca meth operation with Lalo & Nacho out of the picture. There's Krazy-8 I guess, but he's 1 of dozens of 2nd tier dealers they had running, would be one hell of a power struggle, and also unlikely that Gus would continue to supply them with meth.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and I'm sure the fine folks who took in the payment made sure to mention to everyone "that cash Jimmy McGill brought in, there was an extra $100k he took with him"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I agree, that’s why she’s wearing blue even if they wear red, because the guilty deserve a right to counsel.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

i mean the methlords all know who heisenberg is pretty fuckin quick

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a difference between word on the street knowing the names Salamanca and Heisenberg and knowing who their go-to lawyer is.

I kind of figured the underground was at least a little more tight-lipped than that, given that the DEA apparently never caught the trail of the Chicken Man despite how many of Hector's dude had heard that name or even met the guy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I hear there's a certain salamanca who is notoriously loudmouthed about his business and is probably still blabbing in prison. his name.. tuco salamanca

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I hear there's a certain salamanca who is notoriously loudmouthed about his business and is probably still blabbing in prison. his name.. tuco salamanca

He made the mistake of telling Skinny Pete.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat, that really did look like noho Hank, and I was like "oh well it's probably The Man from z-nation" but then it turned out to be a third guy with alopecia

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have a question about directing credits, since we know that this episode was directed by Rhea Seehorn (which I was really pleased to see, too). How synonymous in the TV world actually is 'director' with 'director of photography'? In film, they're separate roles often performed by separate people. Is it different in TV in that they're one and the same? I.E: 'directed by (this actor)' actually means they're pulling DOP duty and all the shot framing and camera moves are their call, or is it more 'there's still a DOP, (this actor) is handling bigger-picture directorial decisions'?

Great episode. Good to see Wendy doing her thing again, further establishing that she has a rep as trustworthy among scoundrels. I definitely also thought the bald guy was NoHo Hank.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The director is the set boss, who has ultimate authority over every department. They don’t aim the camera but they can replace the DP or tell them to make different shots.

On a full length television show it’s very unlikely Rhea Seehorn was storyboarding and making shot lists, but she was responsible for making sure everything got shot. More likely is that she had preproduction meetings where they pitched things and she chose between options.

The main reason they have an actor direct is because I have an inherent charisma that makes them easy to be around, and they know characters and can have insights from that direction. Not because they know how many focus pullers you need or what the post production workflow is for drone footage.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always thought DOP was the professional, actual term for "cameraman/woman"?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thanks, this is pretty much what I thought.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always thought DOP was the professional, actual term for "cameraman/woman"?

Usually they are the one looking through the viewfinder, but if you're running more than one camera you'll have other Camera Operators working under them. And like Golden Bee said, often times it takes more than one person to run a camera - Focus Puller is an important position, for example, especially if you have dynamic shots where the camera moves.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Unless I'm mistaken that's the first (chronological) appearance of:
- the earpiece
- the Crystal Palace
- Wendy
- Spooge
- Saul's place
- Gus's house
- Taco Cabeza

I liked these callbacks individually but the overall amount seems a bit overindulgent.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did we ever actually see that house of Saul's before this season? I can't recall but I don't think it was in BB

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

- the earpiece
- the Crystal Palace
- Wendy
- Spooge
- Saul's place
- Gus's house
- Taco Cabeza

I liked these callbacks individually but the overall amount seems a bit overindulgent.

Albuquerque isn’t the biggest town in the world, they’re probably psyched when they can reuse a location logically.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Did we ever actually see that house of Saul's before this season? I can't recall but I don't think it was in BB

Nope.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
When we first meet Saul and for a while after his hair is different than how it is through BCS so far, and I was thinking maybe that since Wendy comments on his hair maybe that's the moment where he starts thinking about changing his hairstyle which leads into what we see at first in BB.

vv for a second I thought this too followed by "WAIT DOES HE HAVE ON A CHUCK MASK?" before we see him

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 3, 2022

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Annabel Pee posted:

I liked the light-hearted touch Rhea gave the episode presumably before poo poo starts to really go down. The scene with Hamlin talking about his dream and then we cut to Jimmy, it almost looks like we're gonna get to see his dream for a second.

I thought we were watching his dream at first too. Very clever on their part.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kuiperdolin posted:

- the earpiece
- the Crystal Palace
- Wendy
- Spooge
- Saul's place
- Gus's house
- Taco Cabeza

It's the final season of a prequel show, I'd be more surprised if there weren't more callbacks to Breaking Bad at this point in the series run

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

He simply didn't notice. I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man's parking space? But seriously it's shocking what our brains will just not tell us about if they don't think we care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I both counted correctly and noticed the gorilla and I might have ADHD so maybe not the best test.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
randomly ran into this on a gif site and lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003