Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

it’s probably timing out doing some sort of license check, timing out one drive or some other corporate mandated thing

i frequently open 100mb CSVs and import 100mb text files into another sheet and then sort, remove dupes ets etc and nothing ever takes more than 5 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

post the csv

If it was xlsx it could be a zip bomb lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have an M1 Ultra now, x86 is dead closing thread

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
idk about excel but word takes forever to open anything on every computer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pillbug

The Management posted:

I have an M1 Ultra now, x86 is dead closing thread

They are largely only taking their own portion of the ~20% computer market share they already had.

Honestly, I suspect the M1 will go the way the PowerPC did: Good CPUs but won't replace x86 unless Arm gets mainstream adoption by other whitebox or OEMs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol
unless apple falls asleep at the wheel and stops developing their own processors, they’ll continue to form the basis of the biggest value computing on the market

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

lol
unless apple falls asleep at the wheel and stops developing their own processors, they’ll continue to form the basis of the biggest value computing on the market

I have my doubts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

looking forward to a lengthy discussion where one side nitpicks microarchitectural details which don't matter and the other side posts about how much money apple makes with both somehow thinking they're interacting.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
apple literally invented micro processors

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Gentle Autist posted:

what’s your definition of objective reality then

idk man but it exists

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

When did Apple buy Intel?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

:allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
well yeah that's what amd stands for, right? apple micro processors?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
look, amd is the best processor you can buy if you’re looking for x86 processors. this has been established by rigorous forum debate.

however, apple invented good microprocessors, which didn’t exist before since x86 is poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pillbug

The Management posted:

look, amd is the best processor you can buy if you’re looking for x86 processors. this has been established by rigorous forum debate.

however, apple invented good microprocessors, which didn’t exist before since x86 is poo poo

Apple has made good processors, yes. But its still ARM, they just customized it. PowerPC and ARM are good architectures.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s the British apple that invented good microprocessors

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Apple has made good processors, yes. But its still ARM, they just customized it.

I was under the impression that they designed their own CPU from the ground up based on the arm ISA, rather than "just customizing" some arm core.
In the same way that AMD didn't "just customize a x86".

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I suspect that there’s a little more to computer chip design than just the selection of/abstract reasoning about computer instruction sets. I suspect that things like economic constraints placed upon the application/current IC technology capability/circuit design drive the design of the computer chip and of the instruction set.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Zlodo posted:

I was under the impression that they designed their own CPU from the ground up based on the arm ISA, rather than "just customizing" some arm core.

A7 (first 64-bit cores) and beyond are entirely apple designed, not based on any arm hardware

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

A7 (first 64-bit cores) and beyond are entirely apple designed, not based on any arm hardware

A7 has waaaay too many possible meanings here

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is the Ryzen thread. Enough crApple already.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i need a home server upgrade. whats a decent used epyc to pick up. i like Cores

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i need a home server upgrade. whats a decent used epyc to pick up. i like Cores

Depends on your price range. Most of the Epyc stuff still commands a premium, I'd shoot for one of the 12/16 core offerings.

The Management posted:

Its still ARM Microarchitecture at the end of the day, Apple still was largely designing within the ARM 64 bit constraints.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

is this poo poo going to come up in every cpu thread this week?

you may be surprised at who is responsible for most of the arm64 spec

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isn’t it just an instruction set?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am I wrong? isn’t the only thing that matters that it can execute code and how it does that internal cogs and belts don’t matter, in order to be arm64

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

am I wrong? isn’t the only thing that matters that it can execute code and how it does that internal cogs and belts don’t matter, in order to be arm64

processors are just a bunch of tiny tubes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

CommieGIR posted:

Its still ARM Microarchitecture

it is absolutely not

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
is powerpc really still a living architecture? the vibe i got was only people stuck on ibm for their supercomputers are still using it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lady Radia posted:

is powerpc really still a living architecture? the vibe i got was only people stuck on ibm for their supercomputers are still using it

it’s living in the sense that it’s still being developed. but yes, it is strictly for people stuck with ibm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture/s32r-radar-mcus:S32-RADAR-MCUS

I’d be shocked if nxp does any big pushes but they have a rad hardened version so presumably it’s still going in avionics or spacecraft buses or something

Apr 7, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

IBM mainframes are z/architecture which is an entirely different thing from PowerPC.

e: oh, they actually still do sell PowerPC supercomputers. loving gross

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the Ryzen thread. Enough crApple already.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

power, not powerpc. but similar market space to mainframes that the only people who buy them are enterprises locked in. glofo getting out of leading edge fab killed ibm supercomputers

power10 isn’t a bad chip and has some novel stuff but they’re not competitive with generic x86

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

don’t quote tori

Apr 7, 2003

Bumping the thread after eight days to be a jerk, incredible posting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
AMD makes a drat good microprocessor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Bumping the thread after eight days to be a jerk, incredible posting

okay, but how are you on the subject of ryzen?

Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

okay, but how are you on the subject of ryzen?

I'm jizzin' for Ryzen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

awesome!

i was worried for a minute there