Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

Where in the world is Cthulhu San Diego

https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1518998462414659590?t=4w0bNQh52z7sg5G9KFL7zg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m glad everyone on Twitter responded the way I did, “do it Rockapella!”

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Our crew got through Carcosa in the end. We're in no condition to take on even standalones so it's on to The Forgotten Age with three brand new investigators.

Our Guardian is switching from Nathaniel Cho back to his favorite role, clue hunting. He's taking Harvey Walters into the jungle...
I had Jacqueline Fine and loads of fun with Clairvoyance and Azure Flame. But Harvey is Fight 1 and I'm going to need to be flexible and fast to keep Harvey alive. Any suggestions here?
We have a third player who shows up about half the time, and I pilot his investigator to give our crew some extra zing. It was Ashcan for Carcosa and can be anyone fun for the jungle...

I have all cards available except for the Promotional and Parallel sets.
Has anyone tried Against the Wendigo or Consternation on the Constellation?
Alice in Wonderland? If not that then I'll see if I can get Dark Matter instead.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Xlorp posted:

Our crew got through Carcosa in the end. We're in no condition to take on even standalones so it's on to The Forgotten Age with three brand new investigators.

Our Guardian is switching from Nathaniel Cho back to his favorite role, clue hunting. He's taking Harvey Walters into the jungle...
I had Jacqueline Fine and loads of fun with Clairvoyance and Azure Flame. But Harvey is Fight 1 and I'm going to need to be flexible and fast to keep Harvey alive. Any suggestions here?
We have a third player who shows up about half the time, and I pilot his investigator to give our crew some extra zing. It was Ashcan for Carcosa and can be anyone fun for the jungle...

I have all cards available except for the Promotional and Parallel sets.
Has anyone tried Against the Wendigo or Consternation on the Constellation?
Alice in Wonderland? If not that then I'll see if I can get Dark Matter instead.

Against the Wendigo was good. I didn't like the river mechanic, it's too inconvenient to be fun.

I don't know if I'm going to play Alice in Wonderland. I heard it's great, but I don't like the theme. I was about to get it printed before I saw the art on some of the cards. Dark Matter was amazing, tied with Edge of the Earth for my favorite. Even though it's sci-fi, its art and theme works and didn't distract me from the fact that I was playing Arkham Horror.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I had great fun bringing father Mateo, Stella and Winnie through TFA. Mind blank was the order of the day: it can start circuit a major trouble the campaign gives you.

This is a campaign about dodging and avoiding enemies for the most part, so things like Luke Barricades, warning shot and the rogue card that lets you avoid a spawning enemy are great.

Calvin also loves this campaign. Carolyn hates it, there’s not a lot of mental damage.

Finn, Monterey, Ursula, all great picks.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I had great fun bringing father Mateo, Stella and Winnie through TFA. Mind blank was the order of the day: it can start circuit a major trouble the campaign gives you.

This is a campaign about dodging and avoiding enemies for the most part, so things like Luke Barricades, warning shot and the rogue card that lets you avoid a spawning enemy are great.

Calvin also loves this campaign. Carolyn hates it, there’s not a lot of mental damage.

Finn, Monterey, Ursula, all great picks.

Calvin sounds like a wild change of pace for our third wheel.
Winifred and Calvin and Harvey. What could possibly go wrong?

Harvey's going to have to be the brains of the outfit and deal with that campaign trouble. I'm gonna ride bikes with Calvin and Winnie.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My group didn't like Alice in Wonderland. Some of the scenarios just didn't work well and it pretended to have interesting choices but by the end of the campaign it becomes clear that one of the types of decisions you can take is extremely bad. Tweedledum and Tweedledee was a particularly boring scenario. I'll never play any of it again and I've played each of the official campaigns at least three times, some significantly more.

Dark Matter is by far the best custom content we've tried.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I thought that there’s at least a gradient of choice making, but personally I hate the tea party and it used to be worse.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://github.com/Antimarkovnikov/AHC_CYOA/wiki/Bookshelf

Ordered Night of the Zealot and The Dunwich Legacy to be printed through Barnes and Noble and they're getting here tomorrow! Let's see what these bad boys look like.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://github.com/Antimarkovnikov/AHC_CYOA/wiki/Bookshelf

Ordered Night of the Zealot and The Dunwich Legacy to be printed through Barnes and Noble and they're getting here tomorrow! Let's see what these bad boys look like.

Are these fan-made CYOA books based on each campaign? That is extremely tempting…

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jimmeeee posted:

Are these fan-made CYOA books based on each campaign? That is extremely tempting…

Yeah, the campaign booklets condensed into a single PDF in CYOA format. Figured it'd be better than the flimsier ones that come with the boxes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Golden Bee posted:

I thought that there’s at least a gradient of choice making, but personally I hate the tea party and it used to be worse.

I agree that tea party is terrible but most of the custom scenario designs are over engineered bullshit that are either miserable to interact with or are a fiddly waste of time that don't end up mattering.

The gradient of choice is whether you want a couple of xp at the cost of a bunch of additional weaknesses and a much harder final scenario. The trade off isn't remotely worth it.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Any instances of Return to Forgotten Age that should be rolled into our first run of TFA?

I'm planning on using the original, trauma-tastic supplies rules.
There's an explore mechanic fix that might as well be official errata.
Ancient Evils alternative?
Any pure BS scenario antics that are so un-fun as to be spoiled and avoided?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Any instances of Return to Forgotten Age that should be rolled into our first run of TFA?

I'm planning on using the original, trauma-tastic supplies rules.
There's an explore mechanic fix that might as well be official errata.
Ancient Evils alternative?
Any pure BS scenario antics that are so un-fun as to be spoiled and avoided?

Note that Return to's changes to exploration aren't the same in every scenario, so make sure you're using the right ones each time.

No Ancient Evils alternative in Return to, so you'll need to suck it up or use another campaign's.

"Return to Heart of the Elders, Part 1" has an additional option in the resolutions that you may want to back-port, as some people really dislike the way that scenario works in vanilla. No need to read anything before you finish the scenario.

Otherwise I think you're fine; there are absolutely pure BS scenario antics, but they're mostly fun. If you really want to know what to be emotionally prepared for you might want to read these, though I'd personally consider them unnecessary information? I've tried to avoid specifics:

Above about 20 Yig's Fury your chances of making it to the end of the campaign go way down. If you're in the teens after a couple of scenarios things are looking bad for the long term.

This is one of those campaigns where blind choices early on will lock you out of certain endings. You've mostly got to be okay with that unless you're willing to be spoiled on exactly what options to pick to get what story paths.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Evasion matters.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

They're here!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Those look nice, I might get some printed versions of the campaign guides cause having bought the old style for all the expansions that is the one thing I think I'll miss out on, the ring bound, easier to keep together campaign booklets from the new style campaign boxes.

With the teases going on for the next campaign they've been doing, is that the usual modus operandi or are release sporadic enough that they kinda do announcements differently each time? Must say I much prefer just a straight announcement with an estimate of a date to a week and a bit of daily teases. Hopefully it'll be August/September or so, we'll probably have done a couple more campaigns by then and we might be in a place to just play a new one as soon as it comes out which would be cool.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 5, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s atypical, but there’s no shame in trying new marketing techniques.

I also prefer “here are some new cards that you might see and an overview of the campaign.”

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I printed out some hardcovers at Lulu but then the binding started having pages fall out after a little while.

I went with softcover for my next printing, which were these awesome ones however, sadly the author stopped making them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FFGames/status/1522618269080952833

New cycle announced! With more details early this summer. It's going to be a long wait.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Looks like we’re getting six characters including the Butler, The doctor, the mayor and the photographer.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Guess like September or later for that then? If they're saying "more news in early summer", unless they're gonna try a very short turnaround between announcement article and release maybe.

Looking forward to it regardless, 6 investigators is cool and the motorcyclist and switchboard operator lady look cool as hell just from their designs.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Just wanna post that our three investigator team went Into the Wilds. We used the Return to TFA setup and the unmodified supply rules.

4 of the 7 different supply items we brought got used. One in particular helped us explore efficiently and that kept us out of doom trouble.

We got a nice chunk of VP and none at all of the other thing to count.

Calvin question : I started him with 2 physical trauma. He picked up 1 choice which I'll call a mental trauma. I can let him collect one more physical trauma, but is 3 of 6 health trauma too much for him running into scenario 2?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Maybe. Depends if you have a way to mill his weakness out of his deck, like with scroll of the secrets.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Get yourself some Charisma, Peter Sylvestre, and Jessica Hyde, so that you never die. Five of Pentacles after that. Then stack as much trauma as you want. Calvin's weakness is secretly kinda good to draw, early in the campaign, until you have ~3 of each trauma, since that sorta sets you up without having to find an enemy to hurt you. I would prioritize getting mental trauma first, since that lets you contribute to getting clues in the early game before any enemies show up.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Man, what were they thinking with Lola Hayes's design? He weakness is completely backbreaking and she has two of them in her deck. It's such a nasty weakness that you have to structure her entire build around dealing with it, or else risk getting blown out of the water. Her stats aren't good, she doesn't come with an "upside" like every other investigator, she can't take level 4+ cards. She can only really use cards from two factions each turn, which means whatever zany combo you're going for, there's probably a different investigator who can take that combo of colors and doesn't have Lola's weaknesses. What were they thinking?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

She gets more powerful with every expansion and synergy is amazing with her, but I think she should be 7/7.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Some people’s deck building philosophy is to jam in EVERYTHING all at once and Lola is FFGs answer for them.

They also had to account for power creep as the card pool grows, but with access to essentially all cards they had to give her awful stats and weakness to make sure she didn’t end up broken at some point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If they didn't print Lola, people would be begging for a neutral investigator. There's hope that Charlie Kane will be the next neutral investigator, but I don't know what that could mean.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

LifeLynx posted:

If they didn't print Lola, people would be begging for a neutral investigator. There's hope that Charlie Kane will be the next neutral investigator, but I don't know what that could mean.

My tea-leaf reading is he can use any ally, and possibly has bonus inherent ally slots, but he himself just has bad stats.

Alternately make him a Rogue and let someone else be the Neutral(?) character.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've inexpertly stitched together two images from the brief preview:

Now for some predictions, from left to right:

Carson Sinclair - "The Butler" - Guardian, due to his backstory about trying to support and protect some kids under his care.

??? - "The Telephone Operator?" - new character, Mystic, because she hears voices in her head all day? Process of elimination kind of leads here in any case.

Darrell Simmons - "The Photographer" - Survivor, and surely the 5/2 Survivor/Seeker the game has been waiting for.

??? - "The Motorcyclist?" - new character (and the first non-binary investigator in the game) and probably Rogue because riding motorcycles seems like Roguish behaviour.

Vincent Lee - "The Doctor" - Seeker, probably a mirror of Carolyn Fern because that's how the two of them are represented in Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror.

Charlie Kane - "The Politician" - I'm going to go with the consensus here and say he'll be the game's second Neutral investigator, and an ally focus seems like a good bet, too.

As for the campaign itself, since Edge of the Earth was switched mid-development to the single box distribution model (it was originally supposed to come out before Innsmouth) I'm going to say that The Scarlet Keys will be the game's first truly non-linear campaign. I expect you'll be able to choose from a number of different cities to visit in pursuit of the colourful characters from the earlier teasers, so it might feel a bit like Eldritch Horror.

Hell, let's go crazy and say it'll come with an abridged map like in that game so that you can track your progress on a more macro level. Hopefully it'll be something novel like that, anyway. Either way, I can't wait!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Those seem like the consensus bets in the community and reasonably logical. I could see the butler being a neutral investigator potentially? Just cause a butler kinda does whatever needs doing, however it needs doing but that'd kinda depend on the family he was working for in his backstory I guess, if they don't tend to change those between the Arkham games then that might be set in stone. Could be kinda fun if you got to choose that and that determined what cards he has access to.

Telephone operator could be like an astral projectionist or medium or something yeah. People seem to be hoping they're a ritual focused mystic.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

thebardyspoon posted:

Those seem like the consensus bets in the community and reasonably logical. I could see the butler being a neutral investigator potentially? Just cause a butler kinda does whatever needs doing, however it needs doing but that'd kinda depend on the family he was working for in his backstory I guess, if they don't tend to change those between the Arkham games then that might be set in stone.

For this reason, it’d be fun if be were the rogue.

It’s funny that they’re adding Citizen Kane to the game as a hero character.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Kalko posted:

??? - "The Motorcyclist?" - new character (and the first non-binary investigator in the game) and probably Rogue because riding motorcycles seems like Roguish behaviour.

What about Tommy Muldoon, the Guardian who rides motorcycles. Seems like it's more Guardianish behavior.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Daniela also has a motorcycle, it’s guardian stuff.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I cannot dispute this new evidence, but I also can't see Carson as anything but the set's Guardian, so I will have to amend my original comments on the new investigator to say that they also have Roguish good looks!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Will there be an upgraded Lonnie to fix bikes even harder?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was thinking of seeing if Arkham Horror was for me. I still have the Super Complete TTS mod from before it was taken down. How far is that going to get me, and is there anything I need to be concerned about?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
You should be all good. The mod is great, I'm pretty sure you can still get updated versions with all the new stuff you just have to find the link on certain discords and install it manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

KongGeorgeVII posted:

You should be all good. The mod is great, I'm pretty sure you can still get updated versions with all the new stuff you just have to find the link on certain discords and install it manually.

Awesome. Thanks. I mostly just want to play far enough to see if the bug bites, if it does I’ll probably start spending exorbitant amounts of money.