Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
typically if one begins to sob openly about how much they love beer during the interview process for a prestigious job they do not get the job. Unless that job is SUPREME COURT JUSTICE, in which weeping openly about how much you love to drink is good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Devil's triangle drinking game

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bust Rodd posted:

typically if one begins to sob openly about how much they love beer during the interview process for a prestigious job they do not get the job. Unless that job is SUPREME COURT JUSTICE, in which weeping openly about how much you love to drink is good, actually
I honestly still don't understand why they didn't use that as an excuse to dump him and install someone even shittier

like "you libs can't complain we got rid of beer man"

and sure I know they're all interchangeable but I'm sure they can find someone shittier than any given person

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly still don't understand why they didn't use that as an excuse to dump him and install someone even shittier

like "you libs can't complain we got rid of beer man"

and sure I know they're all interchangeable but I'm sure they can find someone shittier than any given person

Kavanaugh is, like, the Platonic ideal of a supreme court appointee. They couldn't not let him in, or else it might signal to others down the pipe that something could interrupt their pre-destined rise to glory

https://soundcloud.com/alabpodcast/series-one-lawyer-brain-part-1-be-like-brett

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
it’s kind of insane that the Democratic Party’s main strategy for the last decade has been “you ABSOLUTELY MUST vote for us or else Roe v Wade is done for!” and they control all 3 branches of the government and it still happened anyway

Zoomers will be the first generation of women to have fewer rights than their mothers or grandmothers. lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

aum shinrikyo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

mawarannahr posted:

aum shinrikyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnscHsPfR4

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

“I will soon be giving a first in television history full, unedited preview of the vicious attempted ‘takeout’ interview of me by Lesley Stahl of @60Minutes,” Trump tweeted Thursday. “Watch her constant interruptions & anger. Compare my full, flowing and ‘magnificently brilliant’ answers to their ‘Q’s’.”

Omg its so good. i forgot that we used to have an endless supply of these.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Kavanaugh is, like, the Platonic ideal of a supreme court appointee. They couldn't not let him in, or else it might signal to others down the pipe that something could interrupt their pre-destined rise to glory

https://soundcloud.com/alabpodcast/series-one-lawyer-brain-part-1-be-like-brett
well all right then! consider it explained :shobon:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s kind of insane that the Democratic Party’s main strategy for the last decade has been “you ABSOLUTELY MUST vote for us or else Roe v Wade is done for!” and they control all 3 branches of the government and it still happened anyway

Zoomers will be the first generation of women to have fewer rights than their mothers or grandmothers. lmao

They uh, don't actually control the judical branch of the govt. Thats why this is happening.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

They uh, don't actually control the judical branch of the govt. Thats why this is happening.

right but don't they control the branches who would be able to impeach members of the court, or confirm new appointees?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Omg its so good. i forgot that we used to have an endless supply of these.

in times of plenty we do not think of the times of none

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
kavanaugh had a bunch of actual people call in with Tips about him being a Bad Guy and the FBI or whatever just ignored them lol

also his magical disappearing season tickets debts

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court issued a 7–2 decision in favor of "Jane Roe" (Norma McCorvey) holding that women in the United States had a fundamental right to choose whether to have abortions without excessive government restriction and striking down Texas's abortion ban as unconstitutional.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

brett kavanaugh having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt because of """""baseball tickets""""""

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

right but don't they control the branches who would be able to impeach members of the court, or confirm new appointees?

no, when “control” means 2/3 supermajority

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah kind of insane that they were right

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ben shapino posted:

delusional partisan

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ben shapino posted:

They just got the conjunction wrong is all.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

no, when “control” means 2/3 supermajority

idk seems like they just confirmed a nominee, just confirm like 9 more. seems easy imo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It also doesn't make any sense to protect the fillibuster anymore, since abortion bans were pretty much the go-to example of why letting the republicans rule with a majority was bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

to add new justices they’d still need 60 for the filibuster

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

indigi posted:

to add new justices they’d still need 60 for the filibuster

Judicial nominees are exempt from the fillibuster, dingus. Republicans eliminated the filibuster for supreme court nominees when the filibuster was standing in the way of getting their own nominee through. Then they eliminated the filibuster for all other judicial nominees with the filibuster was standing in the way of getting their own nominees through. By the way you can literally just do that whenever you want, get rid of the filibuster with 50 votes.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

30.5 Days posted:

Judicial nominees are exempt from the fillibuster, dingus. Republicans eliminated the filibuster for supreme court nominees when the filibuster was standing in the way of getting their own nominee through. Then they eliminated the filibuster for all other judicial nominees with the filibuster was standing in the way of getting their own nominees through. By the way you can literally just do that whenever you want, get rid of the filibuster with 50 votes.

heck you can add it back the next day too for funsies and it won't matter at all

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

actually you can't because then you will be perceived accountable for how you govern

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Antonymous posted:

actually you can't because then you will be perceived accountable for how you govern

:laffo:

funniest post ITT

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

motherfuckre was probably lying about that too :mad:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
If Soviet Union was Upper Volta with missiles, what is USA?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

mawarannahr posted:

aum shinrikyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iwjWmOkuI
campaign song for when the cult leader ran for house of representatives in 1990

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
at that point the cult had killed two of its own members plus a lawyer and that lawyer's entire family

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

to add new justices to the Supreme Court they would have to pass legislation, you can’t just appoint a new one whenever you feel like it. that’s why they only do it when one dies

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

indigi posted:

to add new justices to the Supreme Court they would have to pass legislation, you can’t just appoint a new one whenever you feel like it. that’s why they only do it when one dies

You can literally just appoint a new one whenever you feel like it. The process is governed by the constitution, not law, and the constitution doesn't specify a number of justices. THere is no law that would need to be amended to increase the number of justices. There was a standoff in the 40s where FDR threatened to do exactly that until the supreme court stopped striking down his laws.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

You can literally just appoint a new one whenever you feel like it. The process is governed by the constitution, not law, and the constitution doesn't specify a number of justices. THere is no law that would need to be amended to increase the number of justices. There was a standoff in the 40s where FDR threatened to do exactly that until the supreme court stopped striking down his laws.

read it again. the constitution specifies that congress would pass a law governing the courts, which they did a few times but most recently in 1869, which is why it’s 9. it used to be 6, 7, and 10. so yes it would require new legislation to appoint a new justice. do you think guys like FDR and Reagan just withheld out of decorum

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fish of hemp posted:

If Soviet Union was Upper Volta with missiles, what is USA?

The CSA with missiles

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

just remembered that RvW was killed under a Democrat president lol

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

indigi posted:

read it again. the constitution specifies that congress would pass a law governing the courts, which they did a few times but most recently in 1869, which is why it’s 9. it used to be 6, 7, and 10. so yes it would require new legislation to appoint a new justice. do you think guys like FDR and Reagan just withheld out of decorum

Sounds like an interesting case for the Supreme Court to consider before it rules 397-6 in favor of the administration's argument that the Senate's decision to appoint 393 new associate justices and one superchief justice, as the most recent and specific legislation, takes priority

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
that time the CDC decided to take up the zombie apocalypse

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

when the republicans have their constitutional convention next year I'm sure they'll sort that out

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

lmao that they gave her the pixar mom dump truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Bust Rodd posted:

can't believe this didn't solve racism

https://www.britannica.com/topic/beer-summit