Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fly Molo posted:

time to get good at bone arts and crafts, it’s a growth industry

a related industry seems to confirm this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

[exactly 6 months later] the republicans have swept the midterms.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

da share zone posts getting real weird and stealthy

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Beijing already doing a better job containing COVID than Shanghai

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7091834860767087878
fascinating, thanks for sharing these

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

jetz0r posted:

gdi 3m, where the gently caress is a half mask with a hydration system?

I'm not surprised that 3M, etc have zero half-masks like this. The way that we in the thread are using respirators isn't what the designers of the respirators foresaw when they designed them. While they work fine for our purposes, the initial assumption was that the respirators would be used in specific, defined contamination zones. If you needed to take a drink, the answer was to simply exit the contaminated zone, uncontaminate yourself (if needed), then do all your meatbag needs.

Unfortunately, we're using them to combat a contamination "zone" with no clear borders.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

T-Paine posted:

Just got bloodwork done. Not even any signs on the building asking politely for people to mask, I was the only customer in an n95 (only one other person in a surgical mask) and most of the receptionists weren't wearing one. The person who took my blood was at least so there's that

HAIL SATAN
lmao

i got bloodwork done last month and i forgot i was wearing my ONLY YOUR RESPIRATOR TRUST shirt on under my jacket. upon removing my jacket the tech taking my blood had a good laugh and said it was a nice shirt

they were wearing an n95 and face shield :blessed:

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

extremely powerful take

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I am, I am venting in the thread because everyone else has completely given up on COVID and you can't vent about someone deciding COVID is over to someone else that has also decided that COVID is over.
yeah this thread is good for the much needed vent
i still can't really talk about covid with my spouse, however at least they're WFH and not Open Biden and take covid seriously because we have a toddler
anytime i talk covid i go full mode cspam and she's been done with that since early 2020

lol just had a memory of when my spouse said something along the lines of "when [toddler] gets vaccinated i want to start doing [open biden poo poo]" and i was super stressed out because it was october/november 2021 and the under 5 vaccines were just around the corner!! lmao you'll have to wait another 2.5 years :cawg::unsmigghh::theroni:

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

“Dude, I literally am about to have a degree in a related field. I also know what I'm talking about. Wildlife biology has more to do with disease ecology than you'd think as well. I mean, where did covid start? A wildlife population. (Likely transferred from a bat to a pangolin, then a pangolin to a human)”

-Brain Genius friend of mine graduating with a BS in Ecology telling me that wearing respirators on planes/in public and not eating in restaurants is “bordering on paranoia... you are like quintuple vaxxed, I have a feeling you'd be fine. you do you, no pressure of course and i do understand, I just worry about that level of paranoia”

Said friend also got covid a month ago and coincidentally had a sudden and dramatic decrease in vision and random elevated blood sugar but “is fine”

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grabnar posted:

“Dude, I literally am about to have a degree in a related field. I also know what I'm talking about. Wildlife biology has more to do with disease ecology than you'd think as well. I mean, where did covid start? A wildlife population. (Likely transferred from a bat to a pangolin, then a pangolin to a human)”

-Brain Genius friend of mine graduating with a BS in Ecology telling me that wearing respirators on planes/in public and not eating in restaurants is “bordering on paranoia... you are like quintuple vaxxed, I have a feeling you'd be fine. you do you, no pressure of course and i do understand, I just worry about that level of paranoia”

Said friend also got covid a month ago and coincidentally had a sudden and dramatic decrease in vision and random elevated blood sugar but “is fine”

"mind your own loving business, bachelors degree"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Grabnar posted:

wait, why does covid originating from animals mean that masks are paranoia?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

maybe we can steal mobile crematorium technology from the russians to keep up with demand

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"mind your own loving business, bachelors degree"

also yeah the best part of having a PhD is that you outrank everyone with only a bachelors.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hahah :brainworms:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I have a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and based on that knowledge I'd feel comfortable letting a friend know they're putting the batteries in their remote in the wrong direction. that's about it.

imagine not even having your degree yet and you feel the need to talk down to people about something you're not even studying

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Because there are animals everywhere, what are you gonna do, always wear masks around animals? We're worried about you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I have a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and based on that knowledge I'd feel comfortable letting a friend know they're putting the batteries in their remote in the wrong direction. that's about it.

imagine not even having your degree yet and you feel the need to talk down to people about something you're not even studying

people getting their bachelors are functionally children but are given adult responsibilities and will use bluster as a basic social defense mechanism because they are not ready to admit how unprepared they are for trying to survive capitalism

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Stereotype posted:

what are you gonna do, wear a mask to pet your cat for the rest of your life? your cat could spontaneously generate covid! :smug:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The school resource officer here is testing for covid. Fortunately, I think I'm getting new n95's today.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
pretty sure i have covid for the first time. lol, lmao, rip, etc

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip posted:

people getting their bachelors are functionally children but are given adult responsibilities and will use bluster as a basic social defense mechanism because they are not ready to admit how unprepared they are for trying to survive capitalism

tbf a GED is a toothpick, a bachelors is a pen knife, a doctorate is a butter knife knife, and capitalism is a 2000 pound grizzly bear on crystal meth.

you’re hosed either way, it’s just a choice between dying poor and dying more poor.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

CPU Abuser posted:

By only being able to land loving contract jobs, where PTO is nonexistent.

I haven't had PTO since my bank job tanked, shortly before the bank itself did (WaMu).

15 years, no PTO.

Boomers grew up and got into early middle age before the wheels started coming off. But if their careers went sideways at that point or beyond, they landed in the same world of poo poo as everyone else who isn't in the 1%.

There's nothing magical about being a boomer. They're just as vulnerable as everyone else when push comes to shove. It's just that fewer of them realize it.

they must pay

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stevie Lee posted:

pretty sure i have covid for the first time. lol, lmao, rip, etc

rip you’re balls :zpatriot:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
My wife is insisting on doing some Family poo poo including nephews graduation in a month, and then a small trip with her siblings. Nothing I can do about it but quarantine her afterwards.

However, found out her dad who caught delta and then coincidentally had a massive widowmaker blood clot removed three months later. And who has been traveling all over for months and is dogshit with masking has no poo poo saved a booklet of "Free Hug" coupons my wife gave him when she was a child and is planning to cash them all in as soon as he sees her. :rubby:

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

I have a BS in chemistry, working on an MS and taking some immunology online courses from my local CC on the side. I’m not claiming to be an expert, I just said that the immunologists I follow and the papers I’ve read show that there’s a not-insubstantial risk of hospitalization and long covid even if you’re boosted. I’ve taken vacations, gotten takeout, and am generally still living my life thanks to the 3M corporation which is apparently an insane take in Central TX lol.

Whatever man, enjoy your blood clots in your retinas and incipient diabetes, I’m still nucleocapsid seronegative and intend to keep it that way. :d2a:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fly Molo posted:

time to get good at bone arts and crafts, it’s a growth industry

become fully educated in the bone arts and become a dongomancer

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
An old friend of mine has a phD in history - he thinks Israel can do no wrong and has never done wrong, and he insisted to me that Delta wasn't coming to the US because "they live dirty there." He's the one I mentioned the other day who was fine with exposing his child to COVID because it's endemic now. Everyone is dumber than poo poo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Grabnar posted:

I have a BS in chemistry, working on an MS and taking some immunology online courses from my local CC on the side. I’m not claiming to be an expert, I just said that the immunologists I follow and the papers I’ve read show that there’s a not-insubstantial risk of hospitalization and long covid even if you’re boosted. I’ve taken vacations, gotten takeout, and am generally still living my life thanks to the 3M corporation which is apparently an insane take in Central TX lol.

Whatever man, enjoy your blood clots in your retinas and incipient diabetes, I’m still nucleocapsid seronegative and intend to keep it that way. :d2a:

I just say "better safe than sorry" when people push me on it. There's no comeback to that, because it's true and everyone knows it lol.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

There's other reasons to get a degree?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Currently :lol:in @ the CDC community levels map being unable to hide that COVID is back baby

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Everyone is dumber than poo poo.

This is also very true. Even people that know better willingly expose themselves because of peer pressure, sunk cost fallacy, main character syndrome, etc.

You really can only trust your respirator.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

An old friend of mine has a phD in history - he thinks Israel can do no wrong and has never done wrong, and he insisted to me that Delta wasn't coming to the US because "they live dirty there." He's the one I mentioned the other day who was fine with exposing his child to COVID because it's endemic now. Everyone is dumber than poo poo.

It really is amazing just how overtly racist people get when it comes to COVID.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stereotype posted:

animals come from the earth and are all natural, man. you should take your shoes and socks off, squeeze some dirt with your toes and take that mask off, baby. breathe some of that mother gaia

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

when you think about it, COVID’s also made of star dust. we’re all one in the same, sharing air in this pale blue dot we call earth

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

become fully educated in the bone arts and become a dongomancer

:wrong:

baculumancer

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

Grabnar posted:

Credentialed "experts" in scientific fields disagree all the time. It's almost like you have to critically evaluate statements and arguments individually.

When I was working on a biology bachelor's I worked as a lab assistant instructor with another student who believed humans were special and didn't evolve, and expressed this during a lesson. I was talking to another student about how frustrating this was for me, and they basically told me they were a creationist, too. A degree just means you successfully jumped through the hoops, not that you understand or have authority on the subject.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fly Molo posted:

tbf a GED is a toothpick, a bachelors is a pen knife, a doctorate is a butter knife knife, and capitalism is a 2000 pound grizzly bear on crystal meth.

you’re hosed either way, it’s just a choice between dying poor and dying more poor.

oh for sure, just trying to explain the psychology of a person flamboyantly bandying about a truly pathetic level of authority to make an argument from authority. it's obvious they ain't got poo poo but they're scared to actually process that

i'm fully convinced that educations do not make people smarter, they just give people the tools to create more elaborate ways of being dumb

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Tulip posted:

I still laugh when I see somebody, usually on reddit, react with horror when they learn that Carthage, and several other cultures, practiced child sacrifice. Just unimaginable that a parent would see their child killed for a cultural belief that the collective benefits - ending a drought or winning a war or the sun rising - outweigh the value of the life of a child.

tbf carthage probably didn't practice child sacrifice, or if they did you're talking one kid a season, tops
romans were good at propaganda

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

this thread has a habit of talking like covid is killing everyone it touches. spreadsheet = deadsheet, your wife is trying to kill you, etc.

covid is not killing everyone, it's only killing millions. :v:

fr though, what the above statement means is that i know like a dozen people that got sick with covid since december and they were all fine. and im not letting up or open bidening here... im just saying that anecdotal evidence like that is informing the people around you. someone who wants to do something without a mask (reasonably) does not see themselves as choosing death at this point.

how do you argue against this? you have to say somethnig like, "well we might get covid if we do this, and yeah all our friends were fine when they got it, but it's my belief that it'll weaken our immune systems for the worse. even if we don't have long-term issues the first time, over repeated infections we'll be hosed. Yeah this is based on the tweets of this one scientist named leonardi, no it hasnt been proven out yet and doesnt have a lot of consensus at all tbh. but it sounds possible and i want to play it safe until we know more, so let's never take our masks off outside our home for at least another year or two, based on this."

like we have to recognize thats not an easy argument to make. our partners are gonna have different opinions sometimes and thats not maliciousness on their part, it's them seeing the rest of the world, and then seeing us looking kind of like cranks. my wife is hanging in there & always masking up inside for my sake but idk. She probably wont forever, yet I cant say i agree with the Sever mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbf carthage probably didn't practice child sacrifice, or if they did you're talking one kid a season, tops
romans were good at propaganda

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-01-23-ancient-carthaginians-really-did-sacrifice-their-children

i'm not saying the romans weren't good at propaganda - if nothing else, they got the last word in and we don't have surviving writings from many of the societies they vaporized so that's a pretty big leg up - but the archaeological evidence is difficult to deny at this point