Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i feel like I'm a few more pushes away from telling the big boss to eat it and going down the street to get another job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

I've decided I need to ask for a raise.

Escape From Noise

Lol. Some drama in the Kansai beer scene surrounding one of the bigger annual events, apparently.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Escape From Noise posted:

Lol. Some drama in the Kansai beer scene surrounding one of the bigger annual events, apparently.

there needs to be a video game based on Japanese craft beer drama, a bit like Phoenix Wright, but beer

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Escape From Noise

Dr. Honked posted:

there needs to be a video game based on Japanese craft beer drama, a bit like Phoenix Wright, but beer

It's just so petty!

KitConstantine

I am at work physically but not mentally, emotionally, or spiritually

Thank You To Pot Smoke Phoenix

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm hitting burnout so hard the brakes have seized and even the radiator has caught fire.

cruft

Dr. Honked posted:

Paging Boba Pearl

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 29, 2022

Farecoal

There he go
The network at work has been down all day, so I just organized some paperwork and then my boss told me to go home early :wooper:

Escape From Noise

For the first time in my life I'm gonna ask for a raise.

xcheopis

For the first time in my life I'm gonna ask for a raise.

Go for it!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Escape From Noise

Meeting at 4!

Escape From Noise

Well the bad news is I won't be getting the raise immediately.

I eased into the request to my boss by discussing things like the stop and start production schedule and getting conflicting directives from different levels of management. On the plus side, he listened to what I had to say and asked about the incident with the manager during bottling and seemed concerned. He also seems to be starting to understand the idea of flagship beers being simple, so there's a possibility of moving away from so much of that mix juice beer. I think he now understands that my resistance isn't about my dislike of the beer, but efficiency and scheduling concerns. He also said something about letting me decide the third beer we bottle. So that's something sorta nice as it would actually let me control at least some production. A pay raise is still a possibility, depending on sales starting this month or so, so I may have to wait a bit, but at least I put it out there and it's being considered. Even if there are conditions, they're quantifiable.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Meanwhile, my enemy this week is Salesforce and the terrible terrible things people do with it. “Let’s also pull this field” has turned into two days of how the gently caress did we store this, who did it like this, and how long ago did they quit?

I just wanna play music all day and not have to give a poo poo about data rot; it would be nice to make a living doing so in a way that didn’t suck the joy out of musicmaking.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i had to touch a salesforce once and i don't want to go there ever again

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Dr. Honked posted:

i had to touch a salesforce once and i don't want to go there ever again

I made it fifteen years touching computers without ever having to touch a salesforce. Now I’m the last one to have touched it—thus de facto expert—and my life will never be the same after staring into this abyss of a system.

xcheopis

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I made it fifteen years touching computers without ever having to touch a salesforce. Now I’m the last one to have touched it—thus de facto expert—and my life will never be the same after staring into this abyss of a system.

My workplace is switching to it, mainly because Access is failing on us all the time. I'm not looking forward to this but also I'm glad to get away from Access.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I used to be a Salesforce admin and now I'm a NetSuite admin and lemme tell you

Hell has many rings

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aptly demonstrating that the worldwide empathy network of Salesforce-touchers is the only good thing about this pile.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Salesforce is bad. I get it. I have to convert all the records, btw, from the old OLD instance of Salesforce because it's not usable now hahahahahahahaha gently caress

Dukes Mayo Clinic

Cardi BYOB posted:

hahahahahahahaha gently caress

:(:hf::(

cruft

xcheopis posted:

My workplace is switching to it, mainly because Access is failing on us all the time. I'm not looking forward to this but also I'm glad to get away from Access.

Any move away from access is a positive move, IMHO.

Escape From Noise

I am just so tired if this corporate quagmire and nonsensical top down decisions with this place. Everything takes for-e-ver.

cruft

I am just so tired if this corporate quagmire and nonsensical top down decisions with this place. Everything takes for-e-ver.

I've worked a lot of places and have discovered that every job has about the same amount of bullshit. The differences are what type of bullshit the job has, and whether you can tolerate it. It turns out I can tolerate top down management and everything taking a long time. I can't tolerate workplace misogyny or organizational chaos. But that's gonna be different for everyone: just bear in mind that no matter what, you'll be trading one type of BS for another.

(Not directing this at you, EFN; your comment just got me thinking)

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

I've worked a lot of places and have discovered that every job has about the same amount of bullshit. The differences are what type of bullshit the job has, and whether you can tolerate it. It turns out I can tolerate top down management and everything taking a long time. I can't tolerate workplace misogyny or organizational chaos. But that's gonna be different for everyone: just bear in mind that no matter what, you'll be trading one type of BS for another.

(Not directing this at you, EFN; your comment just got me thinking)

Nah, I get it. It's just that this top down structure is causing me organizational chaos because I can't lock in a loving production schedule and the decisions being made about what to brew are erratic and go against common sense.

Escape From Noise

I don't mind being told what to do. I don't even mind having to make beers I really dislike even as I complain about it. I just get tired of getting decisions from on high filtered through 2 or three layers of management and when they ask for something that'll cause an issue I have to send the information back up the chain of command and await a response before I can go forward on production. Meanwhile whether or not I get a raise is based on how the beer I make performs sales wise and their sales and promotion strategies are basically nonsense. And I'm not gonna make a lot of product with production being constantly stalled because I'm awaiting confirmation from upper management.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

I don't mind being told what to do. I don't even mind having to make beers I really dislike even as I complain about it. I just get tired of getting decisions from on high filtered through 2 or three layers of management and when they ask for something that'll cause an issue I have to send the information back up the chain of command and await a response before I can go forward on production. Meanwhile whether or not I get a raise is based on how the beer I make performs sales wise and their sales and promotion strategies are basically nonsense. And I'm not gonna make a lot of product with production being constantly stalled because I'm awaiting confirmation from upper management.

upper management: consider thinking outside the box!

Dead Hippie Ghost

tears for queers
afk -> you know me
sponsored by Healer LLC

Sarah Cenia posted:

upper management: consider thinking outside the box!

Think outside the box, but be sure to stay within the slightly larger box that we have delineated per our last email

Escape From Noise

This place is going to give me a loving aneurysm! These people cannot plan anything out more than a month in advance to save their lives, even in an abstract sense.. I'll sit there asking about upcoming issues I see becoming pertinent in a few months or more and ask about them, try to get people to consider them and all I get is "We'll get back to you on that." then I wait a bit and ask what the decision is and wouldn't you know? They forgot about it. So I send messages. I bring it up in meetings. "Wait.". Then a month before I get "Oh! Can you brew this beer we only just gave you specific details on in four or five weeks from now?" or I don't have any idea of what volumes of packaging I'm doing until it's down to the wire. I keep saying I need three months notice for scheduling, because I know from experience that if I say four I may as well be saying a year, and if I say three they'll give me two months notice. Thing is they give me a vague notice like "We need a beer for an opening of a restaurant two months from now. Can you do that?" then I ask what they want and have to wait a month for communication back and forth between several layers of management before they give me any sort of meaningful guidelines for what they want.

Escape From Noise

I guess my bosses think I'm being lazy because I show up late and leave early on days where I have almost nothing to do. I'm trying to learn how to make orders for supplies, but even doing that, it's not something I need to do all the time. I'd like to do a bit more but I'm still not really in charge of the schedule.

I guess I should just show up when I don't have anything going on but then they think I'm being lazy sitting around in the brewery doing nothing. I'd loving leave in a few months, but I don't know of anything that's available. Hopefully I can get to work on starting my own place. I don't know. The manager here loving hates me so I'll probably never get a raise or advance in any way because I'm not interested in climbing some corporate ladder I'm not really even eligible for due to my lack of language skills. gently caress.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
how is it not even 11 :negative:

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
Holy moley EFN that is some grade A management fuckery there. I mean most places have it to some extent but that is far worse than I've ever had to put up with :glomp:

See if you can get someone to sign off on "here is a beer / some beers that you can be brewing whenever there is nothing else on" since you are concerned the equipment is not being used efficiently right now. This should also (hopefully) get them to think about having core recipe(s) for the business. Even if it's the world's most gimmicky mochaccino stout or some unholy plum and strawberry IPA :barf: having at least one core brew should help introduce some semblance of normal scheduling to your brewing.

Depending on how comfortable you are with the management chain, you could also raise concerns about the timeliness of the current decision making process, however that one is thorny and is difficult to phrase non-confrontationally at the best of times. Only do this if you are comfortable it won't create more issues than it might help alleviate. I watch enough anime to know japanese corporate structure is still basically feudal in nature and a bit fascist adjacent :negative:

Escape From Noise

What I brew doesn't seem to be the issue. The schedule is just always delayed.

Escape From Noise

I dunno. I give up. Just gotta keep my head down for another year or so and get my visa renewed.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

What I brew doesn't seem to be the issue. The schedule is just always delayed.

Yeah I mean see if you can actually get them to buy in to having a regular schedule for the brewing, which would require them to agree on a core beer recipe that you default to if there is no special request in the pipeline. Inconsistent schedules are never good for the company, let alone the affected employees.

Do you think your downtime is a function of them waiting until they (nearly) sell out before they ask for a new batch? Since you have multiple vessels, would it be easier to reduce the batch size to allow for more frequent brews, and have more than one recipe on the go? Not sure what your preference is, but those are potential avenues to discuss with management when trying to sell them on the idea of getting a core brew going: smaller more frequent brew of the core recipe (meaning supply is kept up and the product is fresher) plus having capacity to run small experimental recipes concurrently when they want to chase the next new fad

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the last 10 days or so have been super busy, had a Big Meeting this morning to deliver the work and now i'm slacking off

Farecoal

There he go
My job requires everyone to have weekly COVID testing (it's a medical lab so it's all done in-house). Today everyone was emailed a "friendly reminder" from HR that the tests aren't free and that we will have to provide our insurance info. We are still required to get tested. I'm glad I'm leaving this place in a month.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the big tv in the chill out area in the office usually has the news on but it's too loving depressing we changed it to bob ross 24/7

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dr. Honked posted:

the big tv in the chill out area in the office usually has the news on but it's too loving depressing we changed it to bob ross 24/7

:haibrow: The wisest of moves.

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Dr. Honked posted:

That's an IKEA kallax unit, can I come work with you