Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Me and Mr Hookshot both blanked on it lol.

We deserve to be stabbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I too got hung up on the "brothers" part of it and ran through the list of plays trying to come up with something that fit. Dur.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i guessed macbeth 😔

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

moonmazed posted:

i guessed macbeth 😔

Othello

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I cannot comprehend how you could ever come to the wrong answer on that Final question. It was so obvious I was second guessing just because it seemed too obvious.

no disrespect to anyone itt but how the hell did 2 of the 3 get that wrong!!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
There's been an abrupt shift in our champ's behavior over the last 3 games or so. I wonder if someone finally said something to her, or if they're just editing these later episodes differently in response to social media chatter.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

no disrespect to anyone itt but how the hell did 2 of the 3 get that wrong!!

:iiam:

I got it really quickly, but it helps that one of my current prep topics is Shakespeare maybe. I don't think you have to have read this one to make the connection, though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
it's a bad question imo. there are plenty of shakespeare plays about killing or deposing heads of state and just because caesar is the most obvious there's nothing stopping it from being hamlet or macbeth or coriolanus or titus or most of the histories

i understand that final jeopardy is for clever leaps of logic but this FJ (though clever and easy) was super boring and insufficient. if they're determined to make it easy they should at least say the last performance was scheduled for march 15 or some poo poo

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

because of the brothers line my instant gut reaction was king lear until i thought about it for longer than 5 seconds

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I knew that one immediately because I've somehow seen the Drunk History episode about JWB multiple times

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Spokes posted:

it's a bad question imo. there are plenty of shakespeare plays about killing or deposing heads of state and just because caesar is the most obvious there's nothing stopping it from being hamlet or macbeth or coriolanus or titus or most of the histories

On the other hand it's common enough knowledge that Booth shouted "sic semper tyrannis" as he shot Lincoln, which was allegedly shouted when Caesar was assassinated. It's far from a coin flip question, imo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I kept trying to think of other plays because I thought Caesar was too obvious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spokes posted:

i understand that final jeopardy is for clever leaps of logic but this FJ (though clever and easy) was super boring and insufficient. if they're determined to make it easy they should at least say the last performance was scheduled for march 15 or some poo poo

I can see second guessing yourself because you think it’s too obvious, but (as mentioned above) Booth shouting “Sic Semper Tyrannis” after shooting Lincoln makes Julius Caesar the clear obvious choice. You don’t need a March 15 reference for that.

But I get obvious ones wrong all the time. It happens.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

elián rodriguez?!

How old would you have to be to get that one? I was 16 years old when it happened, and it seemed like a huge deal at the time.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

mlnhd posted:

elián rodriguez?!

How old would you have to be to get that one? I was 16 years old when it happened, and it seemed like a huge deal at the time.

Yeah I was blown away nobody got that one, and I was just 10 when that whole thing went down -- although I'm more shocked by the other two not guessing at all than her getting the name wrong. Elian to me is a much more unique name than Gonzalez, at least she knew who the question was referring to even if the exact name slipped her mind

E: and yeah I guessed Macbeth too at first, but then I remembered it was the answer to Final pretty recently so I thought about it a little more before sic semper tyrannis popped in my head.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mlnhd posted:

elián rodriguez?!

I was 14 and remember that vividly.

I struggled to come up with the name before the first contestant chimed in, but the second she said "Elian" I blurted out the last name.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That was an instaget for me too. Otoh the other day I talked to a smart person who didn't recognize the name Cindy Sheehan at all.

e: the one I don't remember the name of is the white American dad whose son died in the military so the dad got really into researching the history and dyed his beard red like Afghan men do. anyone?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 3, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You're all very special snowflakes who know so much trivia that everyone else should know and is an idiot for not getting. Congratulations.

Jesus loving Christ this thread sometimes.

To be clear: there is a very important distinction between "I didn't get this question, and I realize in hindsight I probably should have/I got this question right because of this" and "Wow, this was super obvious to me, I can't believe no one else knew it"

HookShot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 3, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also Mattea would have been like one year old when the Elian Gonzalez thing happened, you're all old.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Also Mattea would have been like one year old when the Elian Gonzalez thing happened, you're all old.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That's what I'm saying. It was a very flash-in-the-pan thing that has had almost no followup in the 20+ years since. If you weren't there when it happened, you had no chance.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mlnhd posted:

That's what I'm saying. It was a very flash-in-the-pan thing that has had almost no followup in the 20+ years since. If you weren't there when it happened, you had no chance.

Yeah, I was 12, and Canadian, and had no loving clue. I got it wrong in LL a few seasons ago when it came up then, and I didn't even come close to an answer again last night.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Re: Aaron Rodgers:

quote:

I was a Jeopardy! contestant during the Aaron Rodgers hosting period. I did terribly on the show, finishing with a grand total of $48.

Now, anyone who gets on the show is able to win the show based on trivia knowledge alone (that’s not a brag or anything, I just mean that the process to get on is so stringent that you really do have to know a fuckton of useless poo poo to get anywhere near that stage). Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, comes down to buzzer timing. Suffice it to say that I never got the rhythm down. The returning champion was on it almost every single time (they say this is why long-rear end streaks have become so much more common).

As the game progressed, and I got more and more frustrated at my inability to ring in when I absolutely knew the correct response. I became noticeably agitated (I got dragged pretty hard on Twitter when the episode aired for my increasingly frenzied button mashing). The ENTIRE time I was flailing away, there was Mr. Immunized, smirking and chuckling at my nationally televised pantslessness.

Leaving aside that I can’t imagine that Alex Trebek ever laughed at contestants while they were getting their asses handed to them (at least not to their faces), it turned the whole thing into this hosed up high school nightmare on steroids – the quarterback laughing at the failnerd, only instead of it being Chad the douchebag varsity QB, it was Aaron Rodgers, and instead of it being high school, it was the entire country.

Now I loving SEETHE whenever I see him on television. And I think I cheered louder when they lost to the Niners than I did when Josh Allen threw that go ahead touchdown against the Chiefs and I thought Buffalo had it locked up. And I’ve been a Bills fan my entire life.

My point to all of this is that as much of a useless fuckwad dickhead as Aaron Rodgers comes across in every interview he gives and every face he makes on the sideline, he has whole other levels of douchery that you really have to be in his presence, failing at something you’ve wanted to do your entire life, while he giggles at you, to fully appreciate. And everyone should know about it.

https://defector.com/omelets-theyre-gasp-overrated/

(Drew, who collates the Funbag, is a Vikings fan so I'm sure he hated posting this letter.)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i very recently rewatched those aaron rogers episodes with friends and he was absolutely not laughing at any contestant like that. this person is a nut lmao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One of the contestants a few episodes ago was breaking down over the buzzer like that. Every time the camera cut to him he was contorted in a different position and furiously mashing the button.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Paper Lion posted:

i very recently rewatched those aaron rogers episodes with friends and he was absolutely not laughing at any contestant like that. this person is a nut lmao

Yeah at the time he was hosting he was my favorite guest host because he seemed completely humble and gracious to be there.

Shame about all the other poo poo that came out later.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Theoretically what could effectively replace the buzzer in the event it becomes too unsustainably min maxed?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Put three Canadians on and they can politely agree on who should answer first

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Theoretically what could effectively replace the buzzer in the event it becomes too unsustainably min maxed?

Honestly I would love to just see a tv show where players go head to head on a written test or something. I understand I am in a very small minority in this lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everyone gets to answer each question like final jeopardy?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Spent the last couple minutes brainstorming how a round-robin Jeopardy could work -- Whoever gets it right would pick the category/amount for the *next* person rather than themselves, and everyone would have the choice of passing for zero risk or trying to answer, and if neither of the other contestants gets it right than the person who picked the category gets to take a crack at it.

Could be mildly fun watching contestants try to figure out what their competitors are particularly bad at, but I think it would make runaways even more commonplace and worse because it would be much harder to pull yourself out of a death spiral when your competitors are actively trying to screw you. Would also make DDs a lot less fun because way more people would just say 'nah gently caress this' and bet $5.

Overall, like most of my ideas, it is poo poo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The buzzer is part of the game just as much as the trivia, betting, and selection strategy. This game isn't just about trivia. There are many facets that make it Jeopardy.

Speaking of which, here's Trebek not understanding selection strategy.

quote:

"What bothers me is when contestants jump all over the board even after the Daily Doubles have been dealt with. Why are they doing that? They're doing themselves a disservice. When the show's writers construct categories they do it so that there's a flow in terms of difficulty, and if you jump to the bottom of the category you may get a clue that would be easier to understand if you'd begun at the top of the category and saw how the clues worked."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Buzzer timing should be part of the online test along with the trivia. Weed out the people that cant figure that poo poo out before they get to the actual show and get steamrolled by 20 day champs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

banned from Starbucks posted:

Buzzer timing should be part of the online test along with the trivia. Weed out the people that cant figure that poo poo out before they get to the actual show and get steamrolled by 20 day champs.

It's part of the last test

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah but how can you prepare for SuperJock Aaron Rogers to stare you down and throw off your buzzer game??

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you want to make it a game where it's all based on trivia knowledge the questions have to get way, way harder than they are now.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Did they accidentally recycle a Kids Jeopardy question for this final? :psyduck: "Name a country that has French as a second language. Yup, literally the first one you can think of."

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

mozambique? cote d'ivoire?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

mlnhd posted:

mozambique? cote d'ivoire?

Canada?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Sorry. Those were the two examples always mentioned by my 7th grade French teachers as reasons why studying French language was a worthwhile effort. “Look at all these colonies that speak French”. (it isn’t useful except for trivia/etymology)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Getting closer to Jeopardy's ultimate state