Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Well my UK rear end-scratching federal employee moan seems to have triggered a detour in the thread.

To contribute, at 25 I was still working multiple jobs - barman, bouncer and 40 hours in a factory testing power supplies. One of the lovely old desktops used by the forge stopped booting into Windows 95 and kept going to the DOS prompt so I fixed it on a whim. The large, medieval blacksmith looking guy took this as a sign that I was some kind of shaman, asked me to look at a few other "weird computer things" and reported to the director that he'd discovered some kind of witch in our midst that could do "IT stuff".

Next thing I know I'm taken off the testing lines and installed as the go to all round IT kid in a business with "PC stuff that needs setting up" and trying to get my head around the Microsoft Small Business Server that was apparently running the entire operation including offices in China. I'm ashamed to say it was the era of the goatee beard and the wacky cartoon character tie. I am not proud of this phase of my transition from factory drone to IT burnout.

Typical first IT role though. If it had a plug, it was an IT' problem. If it had buttons, it was an IT problem. If there was an alarm call out because the head account had hired a hooker, taken her to the office, fallen asleep afterwards and left her to wander around downstairs trying to get out of the building resulting in the new IT guy getting called out, turning up, turning off the alarms, paying her out of petty cash to get her to shut up and leave, it was an IT problem.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well, the days of "buy me a Mac and make it run Windows on it" are going to be coming to an end here. The new M1 Macbooks don't support dual boot or a Windows VM so users are going to have to buy a Windows device if they need to run that software. I personally don't have any issues with the MacOS, but I have so many professors and staff members buy a Mac then get upset that it doesn't work like Windows.

Yeah I'm with you in regards to additional money not making your life better after a certain point. I was fortunate enough to be able to avoid student loan debt by going to a community college and I don't know what I'd do if I had a student loan I had to repay. I also had a conversation with one of my friends earlier today how people are having to choose between saving for a house and putting money into retirement. I'm definitely at an income level where I'm above assistance programs but below "wealthy", so it's hard to even put money back aside from retirement. I'm not even going to bother buying a house until the market settles down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think I posted a couple of months ago about going to the COO to report how terrible the CEO's assistant has been to me. The COO said that everyone hates her but that nothing could be done and I shouldn't pay any attention to her inexplicable hostility.

This morning she intensified her bullshit. I have spent seven months trying to win her over, convince her that I take her problems seriously and will resolve them but to no avail. I went to my boss, the CFO. Told him about my prior visit to the COO and he said that he's recommended several times that the CEO fire her.

I mentioned that her behavior stands out because everyone else here treats me decently. I made it clear that I am well past the point in my career where I will be silent about someone talking to me like they think I'm stupid or incompetent, along with her other provocations.

He said he'll talk to the CEO again, but I expect nothing to come of it. I just need to know that this person does not have the standing to damage my reputation or future with the company. I need to know that when I draw the line that I will be supported.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only times I've been in those types of situations, my only recourse was to tell people like that to get hosed. If everyone knows they're a problem, I doubt you'll catch flack for it, and you might actually gain some respect because it shows you won't just eat poo poo every day. I personally hate having to be an rear end in a top hat, and I hate when toxic people are protected like that, but it's the only way I have found to deal with that sort of problem that has worked for me. It's usually a wake-up call for that person that you won't put up with their bullshit. And if not, well, at least you can tell them off any time they're nasty to you. Feels better than just taking it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Internet Explorer posted:

The only times I've been in those types of situations, my only recourse was to tell people like that to get hosed.

I think you're right. I've rarely put my foot down like that because I've often felt isolated and unsupported, but with the COO saying "everyone hates her" and my boss saying "she is an rear end in a top hat who should be fired" this is an appropriate response.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Vargatron posted:

Well, the days of "buy me a Mac and make it run Windows on it" are going to be coming to an end here. The new M1 Macbooks don't support dual boot or a Windows VM so users are going to have to buy a Windows device if they need to run that software. I personally don't have any issues with the MacOS, but I have so many professors and staff members buy a Mac then get upset that it doesn't work like Windows.

Yeah I'm with you in regards to additional money not making your life better after a certain point. I was fortunate enough to be able to avoid student loan debt by going to a community college and I don't know what I'd do if I had a student loan I had to repay. I also had a conversation with one of my friends earlier today how people are having to choose between saving for a house and putting money into retirement. I'm definitely at an income level where I'm above assistance programs but below "wealthy", so it's hard to even put money back aside from retirement. I'm not even going to bother buying a house until the market settles down.

With you on Mac struggles too. I just finally got Linux dual booting on an m1 a few months back, it was a huge hassle since the keyboard, touchpad, and wifi won't work without a lot of manual changes.

Apple makes good hardware (if overpriced because brand/cult loyalty) but I hate the OS and really hate their unnecessary proprietary stuff like this so you can't just use that hardware for other things.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got my first Mac a few months ago for my job and it is insane how nice the hardware is. I've got the 14" and it has sub's in each speaker, I've never heard such a good sound system coming from a small device that wasn't built for that purpose lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I got my first Mac a few months ago for my job and it is insane how nice the hardware is. I've got the 14" and it has sub's in each speaker, I've never heard such a good sound system coming from a small device that wasn't built for that purpose lol

Be glad you missed out on their laptops from 2016-19, you'd have a completely different reaction.

vvv also the useless keyboard and the razor sharp edges digging into your palms (I had a 2017, not sure when they rounded off the edges)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 3, 2022

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

xzzy posted:

Be glad you missed out on their laptops from 2016-19, you'd have a completely different reaction.

Yeah, I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that constantly throttles CPU because apparently plugging things in to the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports cause overheating and the computer compensates by underclocking until the temps come down.

It's good poo poo when I'm pushing a secondary monitor and USB hub through the left side and power through the right.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I will say that typing on it sucks because the edge where your wrist rests is pretty sharp and makes it very uncomfortable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I picked up a M1 Pro MBP 14” to noodle around with and there are some things I like about it, but I still think MacOS is pretty trash in a lot of ways. Holy crap are updates a pain to install. Why does such fast hardware take like half a week to install a patch?

Also, I’m still waiting for this “ah ha” moment that validates the years of everyone saying how much better Mac trackpads are because so far I’m not seeing it. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not significantly different from any Precision Trackpad I’ve used on the Windows side for the past 7 years or so. Actually, there are things I don’t like about the implementation like double tap to hold doesn’t actually go away right away. I know it’s to allow you to lift your finger a bit and continue dragging if you need more space but it usually just results in me doing unintended things from trying to move the cursor too soon after I stopped dragging something around.

The screen is really what won me over. It is the best you are going to get outside of an OLED and having high refresh rate on top of that. The only other thing that I see as a huge positive is the standby time. I don’t actually USE real computers all that often in my personal life and the fact that I can just close the lid and know 5 days later that it’ll only be down 1% in battery is nice.

I’ve had time machine poo poo the bed multiple times already though so I’m not too confident in it as a backup solution.

I think as an overall device I like the Z13 Flow I have a little better as it packs pretty much the same performance in a smaller package and has a discrete GPU as well. Obviously the MBP destroys it on battery life and it’s much more suitable for boring compute tasks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RIP Teams?

Does this mean my meetings for this afternoon are canceled?

[edit: noooooooooo, it's working again. drat you, Microsoft! drat you!]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 3, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Dick Trauma posted:

Okay now I want to hear what job everyone had when they were 25.

I was probably unemployed on my birthday (as I had been for most of the time since I graduated college) but a few months later I became a 911 dispatcher.

I was a level designer in the games industry working 18 hour days like they were nothing and getting paid a similar amount. I wouldn't get into IT for another 10 years, and looking back I wish I'd have done it way back then and never touched games. It would have set me up for now far better.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Lol just completed my Cyber Security awareness training for the new gig and it was presented by Kevin goddamn Mitnick and one of the voice actors from Rick and Morty. My Fed training was presented by like, uncanny valley puppet golems

Private sector is wiiiild

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Is it a bad idea to include expired certs on a CV?

Its a great idea. Certs you have obtained are small achievements. Them "expiring" is just marketing nonsense by certification providers in order pressure you with renewing/spending more money with them.

Don't include the dates but if anyone aks (they won't) just be honest at that time. Mentioning the certs are expired or putting an old date on them doesn't benefit you. Your resume is to your benefit, nobody elses. :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I think you're right. I've rarely put my foot down like that because I've often felt isolated and unsupported, but with the COO saying "everyone hates her" and my boss saying "she is an rear end in a top hat who should be fired" this is an appropriate response.

"User has been repeatedly aggressive and belligerent towards support staff. Please see [reams of documentation]. Further requests for in-person assistance will be denied and all future requests must be handled over email, with [boss] cc'd."

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

bull3964 posted:

I picked up a M1 Pro MBP 14” to noodle around with and there are some things I like about it, but I still think MacOS is pretty trash in a lot of ways. Holy crap are updates a pain to install. Why does such fast hardware take like half a week to install a patch?

Also, I’m still waiting for this “ah ha” moment that validates the years of everyone saying how much better Mac trackpads are because so far I’m not seeing it. There’s nothing wrong with it, but it’s not significantly different from any Precision Trackpad I’ve used on the Windows side for the past 7 years or so. Actually, there are things I don’t like about the implementation like double tap to hold doesn’t actually go away right away. I know it’s to allow you to lift your finger a bit and continue dragging if you need more space but it usually just results in me doing unintended things from trying to move the cursor too soon after I stopped dragging something around.

The screen is really what won me over. It is the best you are going to get outside of an OLED and having high refresh rate on top of that. The only other thing that I see as a huge positive is the standby time. I don’t actually USE real computers all that often in my personal life and the fact that I can just close the lid and know 5 days later that it’ll only be down 1% in battery is nice.

I’ve had time machine poo poo the bed multiple times already though so I’m not too confident in it as a backup solution.

I think as an overall device I like the Z13 Flow I have a little better as it packs pretty much the same performance in a smaller package and has a discrete GPU as well. Obviously the MBP destroys it on battery life and it’s much more suitable for boring compute tasks.

Thank the gods I'm not the only one. The trackpad I had on my 2010 MBP was hot loving garbage from day one, easily the worst non-netbook pointing interface I've ever used. Even then, people raved over the trackpad, and my reaction was "this is actually worse and less precise than any decent Dell touchpad or IBM/Lenovo nipple I've ever used." I picked up a standard M1 13" MBP shortly after launch because I wanted to refamiliarize myself with OSX and play with the new hardware, and it's... fine. OSX is still an operating system, with different strengths and weaknesses than Win10/11, but it's not obviously better. The trackpad is not some perfect golden interface, it's a crappy compromise for portability on the same usability level as the Dell Latitude I have for work. The screen is nice, but it's easily rivaled by other laptops in its price class.

The only actual impressive thing is the M1 processors and how efficient they are on battery power. Otherwise it's a nice package (that's by no means exceptional at its price point) and an operating system that's not better, just different.

If you work with Linux systems on a daily basis, it's probably nice to have a real posix-compliant system and toolset right there. My work is all either Windows Server/Active Directory/PowerShell (which means Windows is a first-class citizen) or browser-based (so anything that can run a Blink-based browser). Actually, that's not entirely true. Most of my workday now is done in Outlook, Excel, and Teams. So I could spend half my workday in an iPad and be no worse for the wear.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Have you said anything directly to the difficult person? Do some basic interpersonal relationship maintenance like "when you say ______, I feel ________" and see how they respond. It's not like you have anything to lose (unless you can block this person from your life entirely).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've decided to quit my career where I try to make my customers' lives easier as they demand more and more from me, and instead spend the rest of my life making overtly manipulative and money-grabbing gacha games out of $20 NWS deviant art commissions.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

KillHour posted:

I've decided to quit my career where I try to make my customers' lives easier as they demand more and more from me, and instead spend the rest of my life making overtly manipulative and money-grabbing gacha games out of $20 NWS deviant art commissions.

Congratulations on your newest cryptocurrency project!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

App13 posted:

Lol just completed my Cyber Security awareness training for the new gig and it was presented by Kevin goddamn Mitnick and one of the voice actors from Rick and Morty. My Fed training was presented by like, uncanny valley puppet golems

Private sector is wiiiild

I've had to do one every year for the last 12 years for the DoD and I don't think I've ever gone through it with the volume on. The traditional method for passing those has been on mute and clicking through as fast as possible, then googling any quiz questions that pop up

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

Its a great idea. Certs you have obtained are small achievements. Them "expiring" is just marketing nonsense by certification providers in order pressure you with renewing/spending more money with them.

Don't include the dates but if anyone aks (they won't) just be honest at that time. Mentioning the certs are expired or putting an old date on them doesn't benefit you. Your resume is to your benefit, nobody elses. :)

BRB, putting my NT 4.0 cert back on my resume. I feel bad because I spent all the time cramming and never used it for anything.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My 2003 MCSE is still on my resume. Those tests were a bitch, so I'm leaving it for now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Thank the gods I'm not the only one. The trackpad I had on my 2010 MBP was hot loving garbage from day one, easily the worst non-netbook pointing interface I've ever used. Even then, people raved over the trackpad, and my reaction was "this is actually worse and less precise than any decent Dell touchpad or IBM/Lenovo nipple I've ever used." I picked up a standard M1 13" MBP shortly after launch because I wanted to refamiliarize myself with OSX and play with the new hardware, and it's... fine. OSX is still an operating system, with different strengths and weaknesses than Win10/11, but it's not obviously better. The trackpad is not some perfect golden interface, it's a crappy compromise for portability on the same usability level as the Dell Latitude I have for work. The screen is nice, but it's easily rivaled by other laptops in its price class.

Huh what? I have an incredible hatred for touchpads, be it dell, ibm thinkpads, lenovos or even the asus/msi gaming laptops. They’re absolute garbage.

The 2010 MBP trackpad was heaven compares to any trackpad I’ve used until now. A mouse is still better but a Mac trackpad is the only one I’d ever use willingly. No other brand comes even close or is in the same league.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I literally notice no difference between the Touchpad on my M1 Pro MBP14” and my XPS 13 2:1 or my Asus G15. Like seriously, none.

If you are using synaptics garbage on windows, I could understand. Precision Pointing devices though are just as good, everything else I’m convinced is flat out placebo at this point.

Signed someone who’s had a MBP 14” for 6 months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Precision touchpad as a requirement to get a Windows 10 sticker on your product was one of the best decisions that Microsoft made.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

One of my companies had a multi day meeting to consolidate on what virtualization software we’d be allow to run on our laptops.

Multi day meeting.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
The answer is none

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sepist posted:

The answer is none

Oh, if wishing would make it so.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

We have to run crowdstrike on our laptops so all vms need crowdstrike on it. It’s pretty amazing how bad this ciso is.

I uh don’t spin up vms on my laptop. I just run docker on it. It’s been a lot of fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jaegerx posted:

We have to run crowdstrike on our laptops so all vms need crowdstrike on it. It’s pretty amazing how bad this ciso is.

I uh don’t spin up vms on my laptop. I just run docker on it. It’s been a lot of fun.

LMAO. Every org I am a part of runs crowdstrike. Its a neat tool. Getting a "Free" SOC out of the deal is nice, but gently caress is the tool expensive.

If your CISO is fighting over docker like this, lord knows what actual real issues aren't being focused on. :(

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I had an hour and a half meeting about unsuccessful o365 logins from outside the US and if it would be a good idea to implement conditional access on all accounts.

Kill me

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Mustache Ride posted:

I had an hour and a half meeting about unsuccessful o365 logins from outside the US and if it would be a good idea to implement conditional access on all accounts.

Kill me

you win

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

Kill me

Conditional access rules.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you do that, how am I supposed to subcontract out my work to a Chinese body shop?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

KillHour posted:

If you do that, how am I supposed to subcontract out my work to a Chinese body shop?

Run it through a second VPN you run from a PiHole :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

KillHour posted:

Wait until you see asked to do conditional access polices based on device compliance. Then you will know true horror.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

Had a call once about a secure file portal, the caller was a board member from one our divisions. He was unable to reach the portal, but I could tell it was working. He then said that he was as his vacation home in Mexico and wanted to read board docs. I said that access from outside the US wasn't configured on that, and changing that would require our security group to allow it. He seemed upset, but then said he'd have more time for scuba diving.

Sadly, a shark did not kill him.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

cock tease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Had a call once about a secure file portal, the caller was a board member from one our divisions. He was unable to reach the portal, but I could tell it was working. He then said that he was as his vacation home in Mexico and wanted to read board docs. I said that access from outside the US wasn't configured on that, and changing that would require our security group to allow it. He seemed upset, but then said he'd have more time for scuba diving.

NGL, I'd have had the exact same response as your board member. "Oh well, guess I can't work on my vacation. What a shame."