Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nystral posted:

CNN Article on sailors moving off the George Washington after a rash of deaths on the ship

Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/politics/uss-george-washington-sailors/index.html

Question 1 - I thought the GW was in the equivalent of drydock and that the sailors couldn't be berthed in what was effectively a construction zone. But I'm a stupid civvy who knows gently caress all about Navy beyond what I read from here. Could CNN be talking about those dorm-like barges?

Question 2 - Given how public this got am I correct in assuming that Capt. Gaut is close to retirement / changing command and LOL gently caress You if you think anything beyond that will happen?

it's good that this is becoming public because now everyone can know the truth - rust on ships causes sailors to suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nystral posted:

CNN Article on sailors moving off the George Washington after a rash of deaths on the ship

Link: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/03/politics/uss-george-washington-sailors/index.html

Question 1 - I thought the GW was in the equivalent of drydock and that the sailors couldn't be berthed in what was effectively a construction zone. But I'm a stupid civvy who knows gently caress all about Navy beyond what I read from here. Could CNN be talking about those dorm-like barges?

Question 2 - Given how public this got am I correct in assuming that Capt. Gaut is close to retirement / changing command and LOL gently caress You if you think anything beyond that will happen?

1. Generally barges or barracks are provided but they don’t have to and yes probably either barges or barracks

2. Lol

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/sfpelosi/status/1521294980488204289?s=20&t=MwV5e2ZN2SxW_TVmZL5CRg

I think I'm loving done taking voting orders from any of these ghouls that make up the Democratic Party's leadership or their hangers-on. Seriously, gently caress them. Retire and term limits, please.

https://twitter.com/CromartieMd/status/1521313094286249984?s=20&t=ZkdNcY413m5xn-AYNbKXeQ

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It wasn’t rural hicks that did this or anything of consequence, it’s much more billionaire money

Then why is it rural hicks that raise the most stink about abortion? It's certainly the biggest motivator of the hicks in my family.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

lol god drat that was fast.

Not even from a number I recognize.

It's probably a scam that Isn't from one of the two big parties.

The joke is that both parties are a scam.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mustang posted:

Then why is it rural hicks that raise the most stink about abortion? It's certainly the biggest motivator of the hicks in my family.

Yeah and they vote. There is no reason to excuse hicks for this, they have agency, and they’re not someone who is a potential ally for the proletariat revolution.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mustang posted:

There are a lot of rural hicks that are awful people and there a lot that aren’t but nothing much they do is particularly relevant outside a voting framework designed and controlled by wealthy and powerful people who are very much not hicks.

The right’s aesthetic of “country folks” is pretty fake, the GOP’s leadership is all natural resource or defense tycoons, suburbanites, and rich socialites.

The people who will suffer most right now are poor rural women “hicks” stuck in red states.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The people who will suffer most right now are poor rural women “hicks” stuck in red states.

Maybe they should Vote!

Oh wait, they do, for republicans.

Colorado gov signed an abortion rights protection bill just a month ago.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I grew up in Republican leaning suburbs and half of my family are rural hicks. I did not hear a single peep about ending abortion in the suburbs, you're confronted with anti-abortion signs and messages as soon as you leave civilization, even out here in godless Washington.

It might be financed by some rich fucks but it's because a big chunk of their voting base is emotionally and passionately motivated by ending abortion.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yeah and they vote.

The people they vote for also do things.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What is voting going to accomplish when your choices are "the party that wants to make everything worse" and "the party that wants to make nothing better"?

All of the bad poo poo is going to happen, nothing anyone on this level of society does will stop it. Voting won't stop it, organizing won't stop it, messages on Twitter won't stop it. Nothing. The cake is baked and the elites are doing just fine. Look out for you and yours and do the best to weather the bad poo poo that's coming. It's the only option we've got left.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

It's the only option we've got left.

I mean, if it's not even going to be close in your district/state/whatever.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There are things that work voting is not likely one of them behind the local level

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Guys I thought COVID was going to kill enough GOP voters and this won't be a problem with elections going forward? People were very sure of this and said it lots so we should be fine!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not going to stop trying to convince my neighbors that blindly voting for either party is wrong, and that they should put more thought into who they're voting for in terms of their own personal interests over those of the parties.

But they're also not obligated to listen to the guy who reeks of weed and hasn't had a haircut in almost six years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I mean, if it's not even going to be close in your district/state/whatever.

That movie predicted the current ammo situation.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I might try to find that movie for this evening, it's been a few years. Great practical effects and John Lithgow. Perfect 80s movie.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I might try to find that movie for this evening, it's been a few years. Great practical effects and John Lithgow. Perfect 80s movie.

I assume you are referring to Buckaroo Banzai's Adventures Across the 8th Dimension

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes.

No, Harry and the Hendersons. Kid friendly classic for the whole family.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings posted:

Guys I thought COVID was going to kill enough GOP voters and this won't be a problem with elections going forward? People were very sure of this and said it lots so we should be fine!

So much for the boomer remover

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It wasn’t rural hicks that did this or anything of consequence, it’s much more billionaire money

Let me tell you from experience, the rural hicks I've met and know all hate abortion like they've been told to for generations. Even my born again Christian brother is a middle aged virgin and still will fly into a rage about abortion. I dread seeing him now...the Qult poo poo has been rough at family stuff lately.

All that to say that the 2 minutes of hate has effectively indoctrinated conservative voters against abortion and nothing will change that except literal deprogramming or a couple generations free of that coercive environment.

Feeling incredibly nervous about that Inter Alia tweet and Alito making the distinction between me marrying my wife and how that's totally a different right than abortion...feels like rolling back interracial marriage is impossible but the last couple years I can't loving even.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nystral posted:

We just did 4 pages in the Navy thread on how shipyard life is basically hell on earth.

e: Not to put too fine a point on it, but you don't have rights unless you are willing to go scorched Earth and/or summon a congressional inquiry.

maffew buildings posted:

I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure that we aren't reading the same forum.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 3, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There will come violence from this I'm almost certain. Not from the libs (lol) or even the left mind you but the now emboldened right is gonna take it as carte blanche because, well, they'd be pretty much right

get her rear end.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Re: abortion being a whole thing to rural folks. This has been an astroturfing project from the Moral Majority that supported Regan because Carter didn’t like Jerry Falwell

This ruling is the cumulation of a hyper focused, multi generational, well funded movement from the right to get the courts packed with activist judges waiting for the right time for some lovely state law to get challenged and used as the weapon needed to stop abortions, a thing that wasn’t a big deal until the late 70s.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yes.

No, Harry and the Hendersons. Kid friendly classic for the whole family.

I also own way more Bigfoot movies they most normal people probably should have, so if you ever looking for something different let me know!

Actually just watch Sasquatch Legend of Bigfoot!

https://youtu.be/LD3y1NjYh98

https://youtu.be/JH_STaVvIKI

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Naramyth posted:

Re: abortion being a whole thing to rural folks. This has been an astroturfing project from the Moral Majority that supported Regan because Carter didn’t like Jerry Falwell

This ruling is the cumulation of a hyper focused, multi generational, well funded movement from the right to get the courts packed with activist judges waiting for the right time for some lovely state law to get challenged and used as the weapon needed to stop abortions, a thing that wasn’t a big deal until the late 70s.

Exactly. This doesn’t excuse individual bigots but buying into some grand “rural vs urban” divide is buying the rights owns branding and propaganda.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

We just did 4 pages in the Navy thread on how shipyard life is basically hell on earth.

e: Not to put too fine a point on it, but you don't have rights unless you are willing to go scorched Earth and/or summon a congressional inquiry.

I saw last week some command master chief telling the crew at a meeting addressing the numerous suicides that have taken place that they should be thankful they aren't in foxholes. Which, :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I also own way more Bigfoot movies they most normal people probably should have, so if you ever looking for something different let me know!

Actually just watch Sasquatch Legend of Bigfoot!

https://youtu.be/LD3y1NjYh98

https://youtu.be/JH_STaVvIKI

I would like to know more

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Exactly. This doesn’t excuse individual bigots but buying into some grand “rural vs urban” divide is buying the rights owns branding and propaganda.

Ok, so who are these urban anti-abortion activists? This is a pet cause of the religious right, people that practically don't exist in any significant numbers in any cities.

Anyone that thinks the rural towns of America is full of potential allies is delusional, these people are motivated by religious and culture war issues. Merely having a D next to a politicians name will cause these lunatics to disregard everything they have to say.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mustang posted:

Ok, so who are these urban anti-abortion activists? This is a pet cause of the religious right, people that practically don't exist in any significant numbers in any cities.

4chan kids who don't give a gently caress and like to troll the libs
Tech bros who don't give a gently caress and like to troll the libs

The list goes on and on and loving on, my good dude

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Roe wasn’t really the best constitutional ground on which to base something as important as reproductive rights. But it’s what we had, and that plugged tire ran the highways for 4 different loving generations. If one really wants Abortion to be a protected right, or something along those lines it’s gonna require either a constitutional convention or some freak scenario 67 years from know when the all left congress, and lefty president, send their abortions rights law to the slightly left leaning Supreme Court, and you get the point. Also in 67 years the Republicans might just be the lefty end of our arbitrary right left and center system. It’s not inconceivable. As recently as my teenage years Tennessee had Al loving Gore as a senator.

The only constant is change, and the change is constant.

This too shall pass.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would like to know more

Well I’m grabbing dinner for the kids, but I can post some suggestions up later including the awesome documentaries made on it. Not like crazy Q people stuff today but that good old in search of stuff of with Leonard Nimoy.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Kesper North posted:

4chan kids who don't give a gently caress and like to troll the libs
Tech bros who don't give a gently caress and like to troll the libs

The list goes on and on and loving on, my good dude

I live in a city full of tech bros and over half of my grad school program is people with tech backgrounds, yet I have never once heard anything like this from them.

I'm going to stick with the group that loudly broadcasts their anti-abortion views to the world, American Evangelicals.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mustang posted:

Anyone that thinks the rural towns of America is full of potential allies is delusional, these people are motivated by religious and culture war issues. Merely having a D next to a politicians name will cause these lunatics to disregard everything they have to say.

There are tons? If you’ve ever been near an abortion clinic. Most of the people I grew up just outside a major coastal mega city in what is still very urban or dense surburban areas were hard right Christians.

I don’t really know where this is coming from man. Seems like you have a personal and family history that you’re talking about rather than the country as a whole. Just because some from a rural area is somewhat more statistically likely to be a bigot doesn’t mean that everyone rural is a trash human and we’re awesome for living in the city. Most of the “intellectual” leadership and core reactionary psychos are suburbanites or “coastal elites” who live next to us.

gently caress the bigots you’re talking about in particular and gently caress anyone who is pretending the right wing lumpen rural types deserve more care and consideration or whatever but don’t justify writing off every single rural person or area.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 3, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustang posted:

38125, 38138, 38139. Peep it. Germantown TN. 38k. City, 1,960 people per square mile. Affluent as gently caress, and votes so red Marsha loving Blackburn got her start there. Affluent, white, city dwelling Christian’s that are overwhelmingly pro-life. There is definitely a non hick urban affluent side to the pro life movement.

You’d be mistaken to ignore that demographic, because they don’t just vote, they donate.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I saw last week some command master chief telling the crew at a meeting addressing the numerous suicides that have taken place that they should be thankful they aren't in foxholes. Which, :stare:

lol it was the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally posted:

lol it was the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

:lol: oh my god

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I what. I know I'm late but Plessy v. Ferguson was about whether or not trolleys had to have separate accommodations for African American riders. Scott v. Sandford is about whether or not a slave becomes free when they live in the Northwest Territory for a period of time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BUG JUG posted:

I what. I know I'm late but Plessy v. Ferguson was about whether or not trolleys had to have separate accommodations for African American riders. Scott v. Sandford is about whether or not a slave becomes free when they live in the Northwest Territory for a period of time.

You're right I'm a loving idiot. Dredd Scott. My god how did I gently caress that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Roe wasn’t really the best constitutional ground on which to base something as important as reproductive rights. But it’s what we had, and that plugged tire ran the highways for 4 different loving generations. If one really wants Abortion to be a protected right, or something along those lines it’s gonna require either a constitutional convention or some freak scenario 67 years from know when the all left congress, and lefty president, send their abortions rights law to the slightly left leaning Supreme Court, and you get the point. Also in 67 years the Republicans might just be the lefty end of our arbitrary right left and center system. It’s not inconceivable. As recently as my teenage years Tennessee had Al loving Gore as a senator.

The only constant is change, and the change is constant.

This too shall pass.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

The constitutional basis for Roe stems from the unenumerated right to privacy indicated by the various explicit rights. This was first discussed by the court in Griswold v. Connecticut. At the time, Connecticut had a law that required women get consent from their husband before they could get birth control pills. The supreme court looked at every right provided in the constitution and the bill of rights. Each has a general theme - stay out of my poo poo. The government is not entitled to look at my papers, compel my speech, forbid my religion, etc. People are entitled to be secure in their persons and of their possessions. A woman's right to control her own reproductive cycle falls squarely into an expected right of privacy that the entire constitution guarantees. It is easy to see how access to abortion follows this logic.

This isn't bad constitutional grounds, per se. Yes, there is no explicit privacy right guaranteed in the constitution. However, individual privacy was at the core of the desire of the framers and is implicit throughout the document and their contemporary writings.